• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Will it be fine if i dry fire a new axe just to get the regulator broken in? If so how much should i dry fire. Should i stick a barrel swab down my barrel so it doesn't waste as much air? Thanks in advance.

#2 Max00686

Max00686

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Yes you should dry fire your axe a few times. It wont hurt anything as long as its not to excessive lolol

#3 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

define excessive. I am planning to dry fire to break it in. Could i damage the axe if i dry fired 1/2 a case, 1 case, 2 cases? What if i shoved a barrel cover down my barrel?

#4 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

Theres no such thing as a break in period. Also, dry firing doesn't harm the gun anymore than with paint. its just unnecessary wear.

#5 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

^^^^^^^
For the Axe there is a break in period for the reg. After a few cases the OP stops rising.

I say just play normally because it will take you a few cases to "break in" the reg. Also if you dry fire then take out the detents.

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Should i stick a barrel swab down my barrel so it doesn't waste as much air? Thanks in advance.

Tell me something how would this use less air? The same amount of air is expelled from the bolt regardless if it is dry firing, if there is a ball in the breech, if there is a barrel on it, if there is no barrel, etc.

To quiet down the marker putting a swab through the barrel would help as well as taking the barrel off and putting a cloth against it. Other than that it does not "waste less air".

#7 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

So will I be fine if I dry fire 2-3 cases through the gun? Would removing the detents be a good idea along with shoving a swab down the barrel? I believe that the only breaking in on the axe is the regulator.

#8 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

No not break in the Axe for that much.

4,000 to 6,000 times would cause a great deal of stress to the marker and you would run out of air before you reached 2,000. I understand that you just got this sick marker but when you baby it like this and "cater to it's needs" you usually make mistakes that will haunt you later down the road.

JUST WAIT FOR THE FIELD.

#9 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

No not break in the Axe for that much.

4,000 to 6,000 times would cause a great deal of stress to the marker and you would run out of air before you reached 2,000. I understand that you just got this sick marker but when you baby it like this and "cater to it's needs" you usually make mistakes that will haunt you later down the road.

JUST WAIT FOR THE FIELD.

Ill be able to do this at the field so air isn't the issue. But i agree that 2-3 cases is probably a little too much. What would be a good amount for dry firing just to get the break in process for the reg at a good spot. In addition to taking the detents out and covering the breech, could I install the boss bolt after? On the medium spring (don't have the long spring) would a setting of 5 ms dwell be ok? I would then tune by setting psi around 150 and velocity adjuster around 2 right? I actually don't have this axe yet. I have my older one that i am trading for an etek 4, and i am buying a new axe with a sponsorship discount. I don't feel the need for having two axes. I like the axe better so the new axe will be my main and the etek 4 will be the backup. I just don't like wasting time at the field teching. I'd much rather do that at home.

#10 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

What would be a good amount for dry firing just to get the break in process for the reg at a good spot.
There is really none, JUST PLAY NORMALLY.

In addition to taking the detents out and covering the breech, could I install the boss bolt after?
Yes.

On the medium spring (don't have the long spring) would a setting of 5 ms dwell be ok?
You know my tuning method so just tune it like that.

I would then tune by setting psi around 150 and velocity adjuster around 2 right?
Follow my tuning method.

I just don't like wasting time at the field teching. I'd much rather do that at home.
It takes 10 minutes max to tune it and unless you have a chrono at home then you will not have a problem.

The Reg creep will just effect the FPS, when you notice it then just turn down the pressure.

#11 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Two more small things. Is your tuning method the one where you turn it out 1.5, and then adjust velocity through regulator? I assume this should work with the boss bolt installed as well. Also, on the part about the teching, I mean that I prefer having at least two markers in my gear bag so that if one goes down at the field, i don't have to waste practice time troubleshooting and repairing. With the second marker, i can just play with that for the rest of the day, and when i get home i can do all the repairs. I have no problems chronoing at the field and i don't even have a chrono at home.

#12 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

1.)Back cap 1 1/2 turns out from all the way in

2.)Lower the OP until desired FPS is acquired

3.)Lower dwell until it messes with your FPS then add 1 or 2 blinks from when it started messing with the FPS

#13 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

And this works with the boss bolt v2 and a new axe out of the box? If so, great! Thanks.

#14 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Yes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users