• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 PBnJKD

PBnJKD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hey guys. I'm totally new to the game of paintball. I just played for the first time this weekend and am.... HOOKED!! I'm looking to get a nice paintball gun. I talked to a few guys and they told me to go with a Tippman. I'm use to shooting real guns and would like one that can fire as close to them as possible.... Don't we all. So i've decided to go with the Tippman custom 98 with their flatline barrel. Does this sound good? Do you think a red dot would work well with it or are those just a gimmick?

#2 Tech17

Tech17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Real guns and paintball guns are two different worlds when try and compare, the only thing you can really get close is the looks and with tippmanns you can upgrade and change pretty much everything. They are tanks and can be easily maintained. I personally think the red dot wouldn't really help that much since you aren't going to be 100% consistent like a real gun so I wouldn't use one but others might disagree, I also think the flatline barrel hurts you since it kinda "lobs" the ball rather than shooting it straight on. But you can't go wrong with a tippmann when starting out.

#3 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Just got my first gun as well. I got a 98 custom and I'm liking it so far.

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#4 PBnJKD

PBnJKD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Real guns and paintball guns are two different worlds when try and compare, the only thing you can really get close is the looks and with tippmanns you can upgrade and change pretty much everything. They are tanks and can be easily maintained. I personally think the red dot wouldn't really help that much since you aren't going to be 100% consistent like a real gun so I wouldn't use one but others might disagree, I also think the flatline barrel hurts you since it kinda "lobs" the ball rather than shooting it straight on. But you can't go wrong with a tippmann when starting out.

Yeah I realize it's different that shooting real guns lol. What I was trying to say was how can I get my shots to be more straight lined. I heard that the Flatline barrels helped make the shots straighter than a smooth barrel. Does it really lob the shots? What if I got a rifled barrel? My one friend has a rifled barrel but he said the flat line would've been better for my purpose.

#5 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

what type of paintball you playing? Woodsball or Rec?

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

PLEASE read this

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=152223

#7 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

LOL Tippmann.

Good Mask, Good Tank, Good Hopper, and then finally good gun.

Mask: V-Force Grillz. Hands down, readily available and cheap.
Tank: 45/45 CF tank is usually the universal size. Don't cheap out for a steel tank. I made that mistake.
Hopper: Halo B. Definitely one of the best in it's price range.
Gun: GOG Enmy. Good cheap mech gun I wish was around when I first started, and you can upgrade it to an electro-pneumatic marker later.

While it may not shoot like a real gun... YOu can't really get one that shoots similar to a real firearm without being outgunned on the field. They're just way too bulky and heavy to compete with the lighter faster shooting guns.

Edited by Panda's Revenge, 28 January 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#8 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I talked to a few guys and they told me to go with a Tippman.

It is my opinion as well as 95% of the rest of the members on this forum who believe that you are heading in the wrong direction. Do not listen to those guys.

Do you think a red dot would work well with it or are those just a gimmick?

Paintballs eventually curve down so the sight would prove to be useless.

Edited by kingJurzy, 28 January 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#9 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

LOL Tippmann.

Tank: 45/45 CF tank is usually the universal size. Don't cheap out for a steel tank. I made that mistake.
Gun: GOG Enmy. Good cheap mech gun I wish was around when I first started, and you can upgrade it to an electro-pneumatic marker later.

While it may not shoot like a real gun... YOu can't really get one that shoots similar to a real firearm without being outgunned on the field. They're just way too bulky and heavy to compete with the lighter faster shooting guns.

Follow something like this. I will provide some other options
Mask: Try some different types on. Look into the grills, i4s, and eflexes. Make sure it is comfortable as this is an important piece of equipment
Tank: 45/45 will work. You can also look into the 68/45, and the 50/45. It all depends on how long you would like it to feel and it is really personal preference.
Hopper:Halo B works. I would go used pinokio or used superloader. But since you are on a tight budget it seems a used pinokio or halo will do just fine.
Gun: For this look into the GOG enmy. A really nice mech gun that i kinda want to buy for fun. If you want, you could go used and get a used rail, extcy, or any thing else in that range.

#10 PBnJKD

PBnJKD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

PLEASE read this

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=152223

Thanks for that read. It was def. helpful.

It is my opinion as well as 95% of the rest of the members on this forum who believe that you are heading in the wrong direction. Do not listen to those guys.

Thanks. I'll look into other companies. The only reason they brought them up was because they said those guns were durable. You could beat the hell out of them and they would still shoot right.

LOL Tippmann.

Follow something like this. I will provide some other options
Mask: Try some different types on. Look into the grills, i4s, and eflexes. Make sure it is comfortable as this is an important piece of equipment
Tank: 45/45 will work. You can also look into the 68/45, and the 50/45. It all depends on how long you would like it to feel and it is really personal preference.
Hopper:Halo B works. I would go used pinokio or used superloader. But since you are on a tight budget it seems a used pinokio or halo will do just fine.
Gun: For this look into the GOG enmy. A really nice mech gun that i kinda want to buy for fun. If you want, you could go used and get a used rail, extcy, or any thing else in that range.

I'll look into them. Thanks.

#11 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Technically you could also beat the shit out of the Etha or Etek and they would still work.

#12 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Just because you can use a tippmann as a hammer doesnt mean you should. "Speedball" guns are made to withstand abuse too, bad dives, getting tons of paint shot at high speeds, sand/dirt that get into your gun from slides etc. They are also quieter, smoother, lighter and are more ergonomic.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Dont get a Tippmann, they're just money pits that dont even preform that well and are unpractical for paintball. Look into getting yourself a good highend mask, then a nice loader, then a good HPA carbon fiber tank, then you can look into a good electro like the gog extcy. I know buying all the stuff before the gun seems pretty daunting, but its all worth it, it saves you money in the long run, and all that stuff, if you buy the good quality stuff, is also really easy to resell if you don't like the sport.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#14 PBnJKD

PBnJKD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Dont get a Tippmann, they're just money pits that dont even preform that well and are unpractical for paintball. Look into getting yourself a good highend mask, then a nice loader, then a good HPA carbon fiber tank, then you can look into a good electro like the gog extcy. I know buying all the stuff before the gun seems pretty daunting, but its all worth it, it saves you money in the long run, and all that stuff, if you buy the good quality stuff, is also really easy to resell if you don't like the sport.

So I shouldn't get a gun yet? What do you guys usually shoot? Any suggestions on brands? Sites I can get the guns from? I was looking on ANSgear.com.

#15 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

So I shouldn't get a gun yet? What do you guys usually shoot? Any suggestions on brands? Sites I can get the guns from? I was looking on ANSgear.com.

Make sure you get other nice equipment first. If you dont have can't see anything how can you shoot anything? If your hopper doesnt feed anything then how can you shoot anything etc. I shoot an sft shocker, you can pick one up for about 160-200 and they're pretty sweet. There are tons of choices of what to shoot though. ANSgear, paintballgateway, zephyr paintball, BST here on TechPB or PBNation.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#16 PBnJKD

PBnJKD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks. I'll get the mask first then. It's a pain in the butt being hit in the face and not being able to see after that. I can't wait to go play again. Still looking for info on the different types of games. I think we did speed ball and woods. We really didn't do it by the standard rules I think. It was me and 18 of my other friends. We did body and head shots and no extremities. I think I need more practice before I start playing in games no???

#17 CptKaveman

CptKaveman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I actually gave my old tippman away, the tippman 98c with flatline is pretty awful IMO... Snag up a gog or etha or something. Make sure you get a good mask, air tank (4500psi), and hopper as they are useable regardless of the gun you purchase. Look on these BST forums for a cheap/good gun. Heck I think I saw a dm8 for like $200 last night here.

#18 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Tank: 45/45 CF tank is usually the universal size

A 68/4500 is usually the "universal size", but the 48/45, and 50/45 are also pretty common.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#19 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

I have nice high end gear, and now am only buying my guns. I want an Empire Axe, but I currently shoot either a Smart Parts Ion(no longer in production), or a GoG Extcy (same thing as an Ion, GoG is the new Smart Parts, and it comes with all the stuff the Ion should've came with). At times I'll shoot a GoG eNMEy, which is a mechanical Ion.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users