• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

What is needed to do to a 98c to get a more consistent shot. What changes would you do to a stock older 98c to get a small +/- change at the chrony? I live in MI so cold days come into play. I have Co2 and HPA tanks available. The gun is about 10 years old and has been sitting idle for several years. It still works. I have not really compared the changes yet between Co2 and HPA operations yet. I need to get a Chrony first, I should have that in a week or two. Getting a loaner from a friend. Any tunning tips or upgrade suggestions?

This is my stepson's gun, I am hoping to get him back into playing. He has a JJ barrel. He really complained about the range when he was playing before and I am thinking it was mostly because he was at a much lower FPS. I want to make sure it is working in tip top shape, before we only had Co2 availbale. So would the HPA make much difference on a 98c?

Expansion chambers, regulators, ect???????

Gun will have the tank attached to the ASA....

#2 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

A good HPA tank is all ya really need for a consistent shot from any marker.

Other things that can help in consistency is a good Paint to barrel match so something like a barrel sizer kit BUT they can be pricy and really the gains are not all that much your HPA tank will net you the biggest difference. IF you want consistency with Co2 well your best bet is to run a Plamers Stabalizer on it or at the very least a expansion chamber and maybe a Remote line.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#3 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I looked into Palmers site a little, those things seemed rather pricey, so it seemed to me another HPA tank rather than a regulator would be better investment. Is there any benefit to running a reg on the gun plus a HPA?

With a HPA tank can you get a small +/- fps out of a 98c. So as to be able to run closer to the field Max FPS?

#4 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Do they make a adapter for the 98c thread barrel? to put a A5 or A/C threaded barrel on it. I have some other barrels that have sizing kits.

#5 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Running HPA on a Tippmann you can expect around a + or - 10fps or so. And I know Lapco makes barrel thread adapters to convert from 98C to pretty much anything.

I have no issues chronoing my A5 running it on a Empire 56ci 4500psi tank.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#6 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Running HPA on a Tippmann you can expect around a + or - 10fps or so. And I know Lapco makes barrel thread adapters to convert from 98C to pretty much anything.

I have no issues chronoing my A5 running it on a Empire 56ci 4500psi tank.

I will into those adapters, thanks.

So is it possible to get a 98c dialed into +/- 5 or less FPS? or is about 10 the best you can expect even with HPA?

#7 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Id say it is possible by running HPA and a PP Stabilizer and a bore sizing kit for your barrel it would be a very consistent setup. But at that point you have a $150 tank and a $100 regulator and a $100 barrel kit on a $120 gun.

Your best bet is just stick with a simple HPA tank and run it maybe 10 FPS under field Spec. IF range is a concern for the young lad maybe pick up a Flatline barrel. Amazing range flat trajectory and works best at around 280fps. Think they run for around $50 new.

The flatline (and to a smaller extent Co2 capability) is the MAIN reasons i keep my A5 in my gear bag i love that extra reach.

#8 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Id say it is possible by running HPA and a PP Stabilizer and a bore sizing kit for your barrel it would be a very consistent setup. But at that point you have a $150 tank and a $100 regulator and a $100 barrel kit on a $120 gun.

Your best bet is just stick with a simple HPA tank and run it maybe 10 FPS under field Spec. IF range is a concern for the young lad maybe pick up a Flatline barrel. Amazing range flat trajectory and works best at around 280fps. Think they run for around $50 new.

The flatline (and to a smaller extent Co2 capability) is the MAIN reasons i keep my A5 in my gear bag i love that extra reach.

The $100 reg is hard to swallow on that gun, The HPA can be used on other guns, with an adapter I might be able to use a unused Freak kit. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users