• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Llabtniap

Llabtniap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Lately (not on this forum) I have been posting VS threads with 2 products asking which is better. But when people reply to my thread, they say something that does not answer my question about the 2 products.

Examples:

Me: Should I get a Mini or a PMR?

D-bag that can't answer a question: Empire Axe

Me: Should I get a Ninja tank or an Empire tank?

D-bag that can't answer a question: Crossfire

Me: I want to get a loader for my mechanical marker, should I get a Tippmann SSL-200 or a Kingman Fasta?

D-bag that can't answer a question: Used Rotor
My feedback: http://www.techpb.co...0

LLABTNIAP
PAINTBALL

#2 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I personally don't see the problem. Many of those "D-bags" are simply presenting a third option to you which can be considered an even better option than the two choices you brought up. Except for the crossfire tank. A Ninja tank is obviously better.

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I personally don't see the problem. Many of those "D-bags" are simply presenting a third option to you which can be considered an even better option than the two choices you brought up. Except for the crossfire tank. A Ninja tank is obviously better.

Not if the "better" option is more expensive or simply not available to the person.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#4 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not if the "better" option is more expensive or simply not available to the person.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was thinking more along the lines of why spend 325 for a new mini if you can get a used Axe, and you are okay with buying used.

#5 Llabtniap

Llabtniap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes and regardless of whether an option is better or not, it still isn't answering the question

LLABTNIAP
PAINTBALL

#6 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I think one of the reasons versus threads get lousy responses is that very few people are qualified to give you a meaningful opinion. By "qualified," I mean having a lot of playing time with both guns, and having maintained both. Many respondents will tell you to get what they have...because it's what they have. Another group will repeat whatever the prevailing wisdom is on whatever forum you're reading. Some people will always recommend against a marker or brand, because they had a bad experience, or their friend had a bad experience, or because that one guy at the field, that one time, had such a hard time getting his going. Then you get a few people who actually know what they're talking about, but how can you tell which is which? The signal-to-noise ratio can be pretty low.

One approach that might work better would be to ask owners about their experiences. If you're looking at a PMR, post in the Proto forum, asking people to tell you about their experiences owning a PMR. Do the same in the Invert/Empire forum for the Mini. The more specific your questions are, the better.

#7 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Nothing is forcing you to use a forum, if you don't like the responses, don't ask a question, and do the research on your own.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#8 TNpaintballer99

TNpaintballer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I do this from time to time, but only if the product I am suggesting is better and in their price range. I do find it very annoying that every time that someone is comparing guns and asking which is better, someone throws in the Axe.
\Posted Image

#9 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Nothing is forcing you to use a forum, if you don't like the responses, don't ask a question, and do the research on your own.

How much knowledge do you think there would be to research if no one ever asked anybody anything? Asking questions is doing research.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 05 February 2013 - 03:30 PM.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#10 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

This.

Get out if you arent open to suggestions or help.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#11 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Really? You have the audacity to tell everyone else how the forums are supposed to be, and anyone who doesn't like it exactly the same way you do can just leave?

Edited by andrewthewookie, 05 February 2013 - 05:51 PM.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#12 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Ive seen this a lot as well. I think you should always FIRST answer the persons question and THEN add in your own opinion. From my point of view you can get your point across without making the person angry because they don't get an answer to their question. For example, Should I buy a tippmann 98 or Azodin Kaos for $500? You could respond, the kaos in my opinion would be the better buy because of the center feedneck so you can snapshot on both sides of a bunker, however theres a marker that offers more for your money such as the ect ect ect. That is a extreme example but in my eyes offers a fair compromise. People forget it seems to often that parents often control field money and whatever they say goes. What if the persons parents don't let him buy used markers online? What if they get more agitated by an online response to their form of parenting? What if Jimmy then cant play anymore paintball? We don't know peoples lives or their situations and it seems people jump to quickly without thinking of maybe other factors in Jimmys situation.

Edited by Twinkletoes, 05 February 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Super Nintendo, Sega Gensis, when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this.
-Biggie Smalls
Learned the hard way not to use a speedfeed when its raining. 8/6/11

#13 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hey guess what, new players make shitty decisions. If they're picking between shit and shite, offer a C.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#14 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I'm with the op on this one, it's my gear and I've narrowed it down to two that I like. Plus the question isn't "what's the best X for the price?" it's "which is better X or Y?" It's frustrating as hell when people don't answer the question.

Edited by junits15, 05 February 2013 - 08:00 PM.

Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#15 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Seriously, the OP has reasons as to why he doesn't want the options that you guys throw at him.
Mini Vs Extcy? Maybe he can't get an axe used, so he's asking which would be the better option.

#16 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

I agree with the OP, if the person has gotten far enough to narrow their choices down to a few, why on earth are you suggesting crap they don't want?

#17 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

That's an issue where the OP has to lay down the ground rules first.
If the OP says "These are my only two options and this why", people will more likely work within those parameters. But simply saying "x vs y", the OP is likely to get thrown other options because, according to those posting, there's no reason they can't consider their option.
The people who answer with another option do so for a reason. In their eyes, that option is superior to the others, and will remain so until they're presented with a reason as to why it wouldn't be.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#18 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

That's an issue where the OP has to lay down the ground rules first.
If the OP says "These are my only two options and this why", people will more likely work within those parameters. But simply saying "x vs y", the OP is likely to get thrown other options because, according to those posting, there's no reason they can't consider their option.
The people who answer with another option do so for a reason. In their eyes, that option is superior to the others, and will remain so until they're presented with a reason as to why it wouldn't be.

Thank you kind sir!!! I did not want to have to write that all out. Posted Image

The main reaction of users on TechPB is assuming the person asking the question has little to no knowledge of either platform. For all we know they could be some newb kid that wants it because it "looks cool". I have come to expect people on this forum to protect newer players from buying something when there are far better options in the price range. Should they explain their reasoning? Yes. Should they also explain which is the better choice between the 2 options? Yes. However if the OP wants to only pick between the 2 options presented then that is his responsibility to state that in his first post.

Edited by Soldier of Fortune, 07 February 2013 - 12:23 AM.

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#19 Llabtniap

Llabtniap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Another annoying thing about this is when you ask about two products like Type of autococker A VS type of autococker B and everyone suggests a totally different type of marker like an electro pneumatic. Clearly the OP comparing the autocockers wants a mechanical gun. So why suggest something completely different even if its "better?"

Edited by Llabtniap, 07 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

LLABTNIAP
PAINTBALL

#20 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

However if the OP wants to only pick between the 2 options presented then that is his responsibility to state that in his first post.

That's not how it works. If you are presented with a question about two subjects, it is implied that the answer be about those two subjects. The OP doesn't have to set up parameters for you, the very fact that he listed those things in the question means he wants an answer about those things, not something else. If you start talking about something else, that is entirely your decision against what was outlined and implied in the original question.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#21 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Another annoying thing about this is when you ask about two products like Type of autococker A VS type of autococker B and everyone suggests a totally different type of marker like an electro pneumatic. Clearly the OP comparing the autocockers wants a mechanical gun. So why suggest something completely different even if its "better?"

You're exaggerating, if someone is choosing between for example pistols, no one would say they should go and buy a Rail because its the same price as a TPX and better. Consider what the person is really asking, if they're asking if Cocker A or B is better, do they actually want to know which is better? Or have they just seen the two in budget, and have no awareness of other guns. If its obvious the person is experienced, then no one is going to post 'Hey buddy cockers suck balls go for an Axe', where-as if its clear the user has just started out and is making their first purchase, people have every reason to steer them to a better alternative.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#22 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

However if the OP wants to only pick between the 2 options presented then that is his responsibility to state that in his first post.

That's not how it works. If you are presented with a question about two subjects, it is implied that the answer be about those two subjects. The OP doesn't have to set up parameters for you, the very fact that he listed those things in the question means he wants an answer about those things, not something else. If you start talking about something else, that is entirely your decision against what was outlined and implied in the original question.

Even if both the choices are bad? Such as a newer player trying to compare beginner package deals, we shouldn't suggest that they buy decent items separately? Or them asking between two $20 masks, we can't suggest that they save up for a much better one because those will be garbage regardless of which is "better"?

Edited by Antonious, 07 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#23 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have never said you can't present a third option. I have only been speaking against the people who would ignore the question entirely.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 07 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#24 Rhino1909

Rhino1909

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Unless specifically stated, most of us generally want what's best for others, so if someone wants opinions on the envy, you can bet your bottom dollar five people will say get the Extcy instead. I don't see this situation as a bad thing

#25 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

I have never said you can't present a third option. I have only been speaking against the people who would ignore the question entirely.

I can understand that. I do think I stated that originally that the poster should say which is the better of the 2 options and the reasoning why. Then if there are better options to list them and the reasoning why because the op may have no idea these other options exist (remember most people on this forum will likely assume that 1. the op is a newer player or 2. the op has little knowledge in the marker platforms they are choosing between) I do understand that people coming onto the thread and simply saying " Just get the Axe" piss people off. However people who are truly trying to help the op look at better options should not be blamed for trying to spread some knowledge.

Agreed /thread

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#26 HU Soldier

HU Soldier

Say Chesse!! your about to get Painted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Why dont you just give them the strengths and weaknesses of both guns, explain why you would pick one over the other, than say "If you have the ability to buy used than maybe consider the________

#27 ScaryfatkidGT

ScaryfatkidGT

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

18v fasta LED, screw the 9v tippman

#28 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

It's usually the first couple of post's are pretty good and explain a good amount. Then either a mod or someone with a higher up title comes in and says a one or 2 word answer and like 20+ newbies just quote him and informative post's are skimmed over because of all the bull shit. Which is usually why people just end up getting something they don't like.
109.gif

#29 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

It's usually the first couple of post's are pretty good and explain a good amount. Then either a mod or someone with a higher up title comes in and says a one or 2 word answer and like 20+ newbies just quote him and informative post's are skimmed over because of all the bull shit. Which is usually why people just end up getting something they don't like.

Hey man, I'm just trying to get the word out on OLED spyders. The OLED may be shiny and all, but in the end, it's still a spyder. I can't help it if everyone quotes me. ;)

Edited by andrewthewookie, 11 April 2013 - 11:31 PM.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#30 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hey man, I'm just trying to get the word out on OLED spyders. The OLED may be shiny and all, but in the end, it's still a spyder. I can't help it if everyone quotes me. ;)

Can't argue with that! Posted Image
109.gif

#31 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

The one thing that is even worse (IMHO, and not always on paintball) is when people ask "Should I get A or B?" (where A = some $300 monitor and B = $315 monitor, for example) and some stupid fuck comes in and says, "You should get a Dell u3014, its better in every way." well no shit its better, its five times the price!

Edited by Blade of grass, 12 April 2013 - 01:49 PM.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#32 Billy Badass-RPF

Billy Badass-RPF

Doctor wrote me a prescription, for more cowbell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

I see your point, but if you specify those two products only and people that have used them you would more then likely get better results.
If I didn't buy so many guns for the sole purpose of fondling them i'd be a very rich man.
Am I the only one that when they see FEP QUEST they read it as FAP-QUEST then chuckle silently?
BST TIPX
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217819

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users