• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 UndeadClown

UndeadClown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Been thinking about trying a pistol for awhile, whats you alls thoughts and experiences with them, and which pistol should I look to get (I'm leaning towards tipx)?

#2 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've owned the 3 more popular pistols, the sa17, tpx and t8.1. My favorite of the three are the tpxs. I ran mine with a remote line, and it was much better than 12ies. The tpxs fit my hand better than the t8.1 also.
The t8.1 is good though, The mags are a bit more expensive, but if you are running 12ies, it is less of a hassle to change them mid game.

When it comes down to it though, I prefer the tpx over the t8.1.

#3 gorgeousllama

gorgeousllama

THE LLAMA.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

can you run remotes out of the t8s?

Axe Pro, Spire, 68/45 Ninja, Virtue Vio

Feedback
+12/0/-0

#4 UndeadClown

UndeadClown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I've owned the 3 more popular pistols, the sa17, tpx and t8.1. My favorite of the three are the tpxs. I ran mine with a remote line, and it was much better than 12ies. The tpxs fit my hand better than the t8.1 also.
The t8.1 is good though, The mags are a bit more expensive, but if you are running 12ies, it is less of a hassle to change them mid game.

When it comes down to it though, I prefer the tpx over the t8.1.

I would most likely run a remote likeline as well, and what kind of problems did you have out of them?

Edited by UndeadClown, 05 February 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#5 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

can you run remotes out of the t8s?

Not in the T8. The T8.1, however, does have an adapter to run a remote line out the back.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#6 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I would most likely run a remote likeline as well, and what kind of problems did you have out of them?

if you decide to run with 12-grams, it's easier to change the cartridges for the T8.1, because the cartridge is in the magazine. You can have a gassed-up magazine in your gun, and be ready to shoot, while changing an old 12-gram in a different mag.

The TiPX has the 12-gram in the body of the marker; meaning when you change the 12-gram, your gun is depressurized and you're vulnerable for several seconds.

If you run with a remote line, however, the TiPX magazines are a bit lighter-weight (but also more breakable) than the all-metal mags that go with the Tiberius pistols.

One distinct advantage of the Tiberius guns is that they are able to shoot First Strike rounds out of the box. If you plan to play as a scout/sniper for big games, you may want to keep that in mind.

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#7 UndeadClown

UndeadClown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

if you decide to run with 12-grams, it's easier to change the cartridges for the T8.1, because the cartridge is in the magazine. You can have a gassed-up magazine in your gun, and be ready to shoot, while changing an old 12-gram in a different mag.

The TiPX has the 12-gram in the body of the marker; meaning when you change the 12-gram, your gun is depressurized and you're vulnerable for several seconds.

If you run with a remote line, however, the TiPX magazines are a bit lighter-weight (but also more breakable) than the all-metal mags that go with the Tiberius pistols.

One distinct advantage of the Tiberius guns is that they are able to shoot First Strike rounds out of the box. If you plan to play as a scout/sniper for big games, you may want to keep that in mind.

I have little interest in shooting first strikes, I hadn't acknowledged that the T8.1 mags were metal, that's a plus (no concern with weight here) but for a mag to be 40 bucks seems a bit steep. But the clips of the Tipx, how fragile are they? (I wouldn't plan on leaving them on the ground but I do tend to get roughed up on the field)

#8 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

If you were to drop one on the ground, a TiPX mag would probably be ok. If you stepped on it by accident, there's a pretty good chance you'd break it.

If you search the BST's sometimes you can find used Tiberius mags that are in good shape for a reasonable price, if you're willing to go that route.

#9 UndeadClown

UndeadClown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

If you were to drop one on the ground, a TiPX mag would probably be ok. If you stepped on it by accident, there's a pretty good chance you'd break it.

If you search the BST's sometimes you can find used Tiberius mags that are in good shape for a reasonable price, if you're willing to go that route.

Hm, I guess now I should find a T8.1 to check out and see if I like its feel. Thanks for the input.

#10 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hm, I guess now I should find a T8.1 to check out and see if I like its feel. Thanks for the input.

Hold and shoot both if possible before you make your decision.
Also, if you plan to use a molle vest or other way of carrying magazine pouches, you should be able to catch the empty mag as it comes out of the gun, put it in an empty mag pouch, and grab a fresh one. Optimally, there should never be any reason your mags get dropped on the ground.

#11 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I had a TPX when it was first released and regret ever buying it. Although my loathing for it is mostly due to how terribly unreliable original ones were, they've supposedly worked the kinks out since, so I won't include those issues.
The issues I do have with many pistols however is not exclusive to the TPX/TiPX. The issue lies on the use of a magazine. I absolutely despise using magazines in paintball and will always opt for the humble 10 round tube instead. Here's why:
  • Size - Relative to every other system of feeding, magazines in paintball are incredibly bulky for how little of firepower they offer. They typically hold less than 10 rounds, but take up the space of 2-3 ten-round tubes. In terms of firepower, 10 round tubes are much more efficient.
  • Reliability - Magazines use springs. Springs can get worn out, obstructed, popped out of place, etc. If any of that happens mid-game, you're out of luck. 10 round tubes use gravity, something that the planet Earth is guaranteed to have 100% of the time.You manually transfer that tube of paint into another tube which uses gravity to to feed the gun. Real simple, real reliable.
  • Price - The price of a TPX magazine is abot $15 each. Tiberius costs twice as much. A 10 round tube costs about 25 cents. You can get yourself a year's worth of tubes for less than half the price of a single magazine. Because pistol magazines are so expensive, you're not going to want to drop the magazine and leave it to get stepped on, lost, or even stolen, that's at least $15 you're out now. You'll have to waste more time out of the game trying to put in a pouch or pocket. With a 10 round tube, you can reload then drop it should you so choose and immediately get back into the game (of course, you can still take time putting it in a pouch or pocket to preserve it too). If it gets broken, lost, or stolen, you're out a quarter. Big deal.
In my opinion, a gun fed by 10 round tubes is far superior to one fed by bulky, unreliable, and expensive magazines.

Edited by Antonious, 05 February 2013 - 08:33 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#12 FireFly*

FireFly*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Question about t8.1
Say I want to switch back n fourth from rifle to pistol. Which is the best way ? Get the pistol and longer barrel and stock, or just go with say the ranger ? And if I use the ranger as a pistol will it fit nicley in a holster ?

#13 FireFly*

FireFly*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Like the top rail on the rifle and the threads that stck out of the barrel, can they be removed ? So it would just be a stock 8.1 ?

Edited by FireFly*, 05 February 2013 - 08:59 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users