• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cgiles

cgiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hello all. I live in South-Central Kentucky, so I usually play around E-Town and occasionally make the trip to Louisville, but to get on topic I specifically want some help in purchasing my (technically) first rifle. This would be my first rifle purchase as I am 18, but I have been around firearms my whole life. I have shot high powered rifles, shotguns, handguns, and bows, but I have decided that the first firearm I will purchase as an adult will be a rifle. It is certainly bad timing that the rifle I would like to purchase would be an AR-15 style set-up, with the latest legislation scare, and I realize the demand for these rifles are sky-rocketing. I've spoke with many of the local FFL's around here and they are telling me they aren't able to special order anything at this time. This is weird, because I have spoke with Bushmaster to which they tell me that they are making guns everyday, and that a special order would just be a matter of waiting, That being said, I was wondering if any of you guys had any advice as to how I could obtain one of these rifles. My father carried a Colt M4 in Kuwait, and I would really enjoy going out to the range with him some with an AR15 style rifle. Perhaps you could point me in the direction of other semi-auto rifles such as a Garand or M14? I have my Great-Grandfathers Springfield from WWII, so maybe I could be into something to mid 20th century as well. Thanks.

*EDIT* Need SOME assistance. Gah what a nooby fail!

Edited by cgiles, 05 February 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#2 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Find the nearest gun show and show up with a couple grand cash. There will be plenty of ar-15 style rifles, but the prices will be high.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#3 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,932 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

My advice? Wait, save your money, let prices fall back down. Would suck to buy a rifle for $2k, and then a month later you can buy the same thing for $900, or something like that.

#4 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Look at a Lee Enfield
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5 cgiles

cgiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

My advice? Wait, save your money, let prices fall back down. Would suck to buy a rifle for $2k, and then a month later you can buy the same thing for $900, or something like that.

I think you're right. All of the recent occurrences are really unfortunate. Bad overall timing I guess

#6 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

No point in buying a gun if the ammo for it has dried up. I haven't seen a single box of .223 on any shelf in any store for the past month or so. Hell, even .22lr, one of the most popular cartridges in the world, is damn near impossible to find right now.
As for the gun itself, any scary-looking "assault" weapon is going to cost way more than it should right now as demand is ridiculously high. I remember not 6 months ago I was holding a plain-jane WASR-10 underfolder at Cabela's with a $650 price tag. Last month, I saw an auction for the same gun at more than twice the price. And I thought the original price was unreasonable...

I would wait for this all to die down. That way gun companies can get their stock back on the shelves and ammo-hoarders can stop shitting their pants and buying up every box of every caliber they can find to simply stash in their basement and never use (seriously, fuck those guys). Besides, there might be a chance the AW ban does pass, in which case, you're brand new semi-auto rifle that you just bought will have to be registered again, but this time with hefty fee intact. More money simply wasted.

Edited by Antonious, 05 February 2013 - 08:48 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#7 TheHunterPreist

TheHunterPreist

Dost Thou Even Hoist?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-Thirty (the "poor man's AR"). great rifles and both are not considered "assault weapons" and are exempt from any legislation. yes 5.56 is a little hard to come by these days but if you have the option you could try the mini thirty, i believe it uses .308. they have the tried and proven garand-style action. also the m-1 garand is a good choice but the mini 14 is a little bit easier to come by.

Edited by TheHunterPreist, 05 February 2013 - 11:43 PM.

Setup: Smart Parts SP-1, Viewloader Vlocity, Empire Basic 48/3000
Posted Image

#8 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

look into finding a M1 garand. Right now they are getting cheaper since this new AWB that is being looked at right now has no effect on the Garand, plus 30-06 ammo is not even being touched when i go to wal-mart and my local gun stores, and even the interweb has plenty of 30-06 around for cheap.

#9 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

The mini is not considered an assault weapon under the 1994 AW ban, but is considered by name an assault weapon under the current proposed bill. An original m1 garand may be exempt due to it being a C&R with less than 10 rounds.
For the time being, until this bill gets either passed or shut down, I would just avoid any and all semi-auto rifles.
Besides, if the bill doesn't pass and once the fuss goes down, all the damn hoarders will realize they bought up too much shit and will be selling almost brand new guns for cheap just to get rid of them

you have the option you could try the mini thirty, i believe it uses .308.

7.62x39 (AK round). Just as difficult to find nowadays.
The .308 version is called the M1A, and the Springfield builds are the most common. However, .308 is also hard to come by (Nearly every intermediary round is) and the M1A is listed by name as well to be banned.

Edited by Antonious, 06 February 2013 - 12:44 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#10 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

@ Antonious

Also remember that the Garand loads from the top and not the bottom making it a "fixed magazine.

And YES TK-421 these are getting pricier only due to supply not because of the crime bill. M1 Garands are perfectly legal in CA right now so besides NY these are the one of the liberal firearms still along with revolvers.

#11 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Mosin Nagant, I didn't see any ammo when I was at the store last time I was there, shelves were pretty much picked clean for everything.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#12 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Mosin Nagant, I didn't see any ammo when I was at the store last time I was there, shelves were pretty much picked clean for everything.

He wants an ar-15 style rifle.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#13 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Build it yourself. AR15's don't need much tools to put them together and their are hundreds of videos on the web about building them.

once the whole panic buy slows down making your own Ar15 is so much more rewarding since you will know your rifle piece by piece and can put in all the parts "you" want.

#14 YoungGun32

YoungGun32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

^^^^^ pay attention

#15 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

He wants an ar-15 style rifle.

I know, but they are super hard to find right now.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#16 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

thats why you make your own. Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users