• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

About a year ago I had another account (can't access it any more), I got really busy and my return to PB got put on hold. Just getting back. Anyway there seem to be quite a bit of discussion about barrels and accuracy back then. Some pretty intense studies were linked or posted. I read through most of this and was following these discussions. The general conclusions of the studies and most here were that barrels really did not have much of an effect on accuracy. At least thats how I remembered it. I tended to think that was not true as my roots go back to 1989 to 1999. I came back a played a little in 2003-06. I have seen some crappy equipment in the past (and some good stuff also). The data (general conclusions by the testers), and considering the quality of the new equipment, and the very vocal opinions around here. Led me to consider that barrels really did not effect accuracy.

One of the studies was by a poster named Mann, I think many of you will remember the study. It is probally posted on here somewhere. Anyways since my return about a month ago I saw a thread on PBnation. With this study. There is a long thread in the Barrels discussion area pinned near the end of page 36, post number 754. A poster by the name of vihkr has quantified a chart usings Mann's 70' range accuracy test. It does appear that he can show that barrels might effect accuracy. I would say his table shows that paintballs have an effect also.

Take a look at it, and please post your thoughts.My link

Shooter, gun, paint, conditions, ect.... many things effect accuracy.... maybe even barrels???????????? what do you think?

Edited by Bugman, 05 February 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Shooter, gun, ect.... many things effect accuracy.... maybe even barrels???????????? what do you think?

Posted Image

#3 tot810

tot810

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Really the only thing that affects accuracy is paint and if your gun is clean.

#4 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'd love to see the data from that thread reported with the same analysis that Punkworks does, if only for a better comparison of those results to Punkworks results. Just looking at the graphs by eye (not very scientific, but it does make me question how Vihkr got his graph), the PPS with xball is listed as the most accurate, and the Boomstick with Marbalizer is listed as the least accurate, by a large margin.

Vihkr graph
Posted Image

PPS Xball
Posted Image

Boomstick Marbs
Posted Image

Now, there definitely is a difference visually, but that difference does not look statistically significant enough to declare one the winner or loser enough to say it's more accurate than the other, especially when one barrel is better with one kind of paint and worse with another.

As it stands right now, I've never found any particular barrels to be any more accurate.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 05 February 2013 - 11:50 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#5 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Shooter, gun, ect.... many things effect accuracy.... maybe even barrels???????????? what do you think?

Posted Image

Not really sure what to think about it. In the begining when I first came to this site, my past experience was that barrels and guns did make a difference. And obviously some players can shoot better than others. It seems to me that most of the research I found on here about a year ago made a compelling aurgument that barrels really did not effect accuracy. I think even one of the tests it might have been Mann's suggested that the gun had little effect also. Just a on off valve so to speak.

My knowledge of new equipment is really limited as yet. I have only played a few games with a Axe. That was in October.

In the past. Well I don't know if I could ever be convinced that my old 68 Special was as accurate as my friends Phantom. That was really old school though compared to today's equipment. Not what we are using today. So I took the studies and the opinions of modern players. Reasoned that they were most likely correct. Concerning barrels and accuracy. Then I see this chart a couple of days ago. Not so sure anymore.

Edited by Bugman, 06 February 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#6 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

I'd love to see the data from that thread reported with the same analysis that Punkworks does, if only for a better comparison of those results to Punkworks results. Just looking at the graphs by eye (not very scientific, but it does make me question how Vihkr got his graph), the PPS with xball is listed as the most accurate, and the Boomstick with Marbalizer is listed as the least accurate, by a large margin.

Vihkr graph
Posted Image

PPS Xball
Posted Image

Boomstick Marbs
Posted Image

Now, there definitely is a difference visually, but that difference does not look statistically significant enough to declare one the winner or loser enough to say it's more accurate than the other, especially when one barrel is better with one kind of paint and worse with another.

As it stands right now, I've never found any particular barrels to be any more accurate.

Well to me the PPS with Xball has a lot tighter group. Hey I agree paint is a variable. But look how some barrels have a lot smaller group with all three different paint. Thus maybe more consistent with different paint than other barrels switching paint?

#7 Danny D

Danny D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'm glad you are all questioning the data. I questioned punkworks data some years ago and found some problems with the stats they used. I found some evidence that barrels do effect accuracy/ precision. Unfortunately I could not complete my analysis as the 2 year license for my stats program expired. I tried with some other programs but they didn't have the same functionality and would have taken me forever. I also tried to go to a stats prof at the time to help. They gave me some pointers but could not look at the data without $$$

If someone does have a solid program like s plus I can forward you the corrected data and give a step by step on how to get some hard stats on this.

#8 your_colourful_elimination

your_colourful_elimination

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:59 AM

Once you determine a mean point of impact, accuracy is math. Vikhr graph and the top and bottom edges of circles are confusing what really matters: grouping.

Math gives me headaches, but Mann's originals help visualize mathematical circles where most paint lands. Or print it and grab a ruler.

Mann's Examples (top to bottom):
Xball gold + Aluminum freak 0.682"
Marballizer + Aluminum freak 0.693"
Xball gold + Hammerhead 0.688"
Recsport + Stainless Steel freak 0.689"

Attached Files

Edited by your_colourful_elimination, 21 October 2013 - 08:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users