• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KastrolPot

KastrolPot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hey guy's. I'm a VERY new player, and extremely frugel, and really like to do my research before buying anything.

I recently played a game of paintball at a local field, where one of the guys needed to gauge the size of the balls before attaching the appropriate barrel extension.

My question is this: Is this neccesary when the gun has detents?
What will the implications to accuracy and consistency be if one ignores this.

Regards
KastrolPot

#2 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hey guy's. I'm a VERY new player, and extremely frugel, and really like to do my research before buying anything.

I recently played a game of paintball at a local field, where one of the guys needed to gauge the size of the balls before attaching the appropriate barrel extension.

My question is this: Is this neccesary when the gun has detents?
What will the implications to accuracy and consistency be if one ignores this.

Regards
KastrolPot

The detents were probably not the reason unless he was using a pump. If you make your barrel slightly smaller than the size of the paint (within .008 of the paintball size), then you will increase both your efficiency and consistency. If you just use your standard stock barrel it will likely be larger than the paintball you fire, in which case you should also have good consistency but poor efficiency. The closer you get to matching the paintball exactly to the bore size, the more likely you will start to see inconsistency.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#3 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

When he says "poor" efficiency, it isn't that dramatic. It is less than if you underbored, but you aren't doubling your efficency. You probably won't even get another whole pod of paint.

As a new player, it isn't something you should worry about. It would probably cause more headaches underboring than you need. I recomend just using the stock barrel when you first start off. On most new guns, they are all pretty desent (fair internal finish, ported) and are likely an overbore, so you should be set barrel wise out of the box.

And unless you have an extreme underbore (.008+) you're accuracy wont be affected. The factors that influence accuracy are the cleanliness of your gear, which is the inside of your barrel, the inside of your loader, the inside of your pods, and the inside of your breech (this is because any oils, broken paint, dirt and such will get on the paint, impart spin on it, and will coat the barrel, messing with every subsequent shot until its cleaned) and the quality of the paintballs. That is because a nicer paintball will have a nicer seam between the halves of the ball, and a fresher and better stored paintball will not be oily or full of dimples. Dimpled paintballs shoot like shit.

Edited by TacticlTwinkie, 08 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users