18 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

So every time I go out to the field and join the advanced group, there's always a hell ton of pump guys. They are always the ones to destroy me out there. I can get the regular speedballers and whatnot, but the pump guys always get the drop on me out of nowhere. I used to play competitive pump for like 3 months, and I recall there to be more of an emphasis on snapshooting and aiming. I always lose snapping battles with them too. Is there any effective tactic to use against them so tomorrow I won't be boggled by their sheer pump wrath?

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#2 Delicious762

Delicious762

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Don't gunfight with them.

Pump players also rely on movement, so just pay attention to them and get em when they move, or you can move and get angles on them.

But if this is just rec maybe gun fighting with them is a good thing to help get your own skills up to par.

#3 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Don't gunfight with them.

Pump players also rely on movement, so just pay attention to them and get em when they move, or you can move and get angles on them.

But if this is just rec maybe gun fighting with them is a good thing to help get your own skills up to par.

Yeah its mainly recball. However, our team scrimmaged with our rivals (both hq'd at Disruptive Paintball), which is a pump team, and we lost to them 5-3 or something dumb like that.
Ok so hit them while they're moving, gotcha. Yeah gunfighting with them I always lose in.

#4 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

See you need to work at gun fighting cause as a semi in a gun fight a semi has all the advantage.

Pump usually offers the advantage of smaller lighter setups offering smaller profiles to hit. But other than that there really is no equipment advantage to pump.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#5 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

when i play pump i would say my only true weakness is the blind side. try to get a team mate to distract them in a snapping battle while you sneak around. strangely i find that when i use my pump i play better than i do with my etek, it makes me think about everything more. although it is definitely a heavy open class (68/4500, rotor, full sized autococker pump) i can still move like a kamikaze out there. you just have to get the numbers up on them.

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock1 of 10 Critical Victory. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#6 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

I find that i snapshoot a lot better when im using a pump, i think it has to do with how you only get one shot before you have to pump again. So as a result you pop out quickly take your shot and pop back into your bunker, where as when using a semi most people snap out slower and take two or three shots at least.

#7 Corysllw

Corysllw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

My first time playing pump, I was going to run through this dried up creek, go around, and flank the other team. But before I could make it to the creek 5 guys popped up, and proceeded to light me up! Posted Image

#8 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I still feel that basics I've worked on while pumping translated well when using semi. Pump guys just goes back to the basics and get real good at it so shoot quality is higher in a sense.
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#9 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think it may be size/weight of gear,because a fully loaded electro may weigh two or even three times the weight and a third the size of a SC phantom.Even with a fully loaded pump,usually pump players have "honed" their skills better,mostly because you have to if you want to play pump.Basically,its alot easier for pump players to get up the field and easier for them to shoot you.

#10 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Pump in NO way makes you a better player guys. Practice does.

I personally started in this sport with a pump and have almost always owned one. It's still what I play most.

But other than MAYBE weight and profile. There is NO advantage to a pump.

Pump play just forces you to work on skills ROF can mask. But those same skills can be learned and practiced just as easily with a semi. It is not the fact that the guys are winning against you cause they are shooting a pump they are just better players probably with far more experience. Hand those players a semi and well thing would likely get even harder.

As for some playing better or doing better when using a pump. I completely agree I feel the same way myself, reasoning is I shoot my SL-68II the most over any thing in my gear bag. I am comfy with it am accustom to it and use to it. All of those things help in a game.

So that being said. What can youdo to beat them. Keep playing against them (a tuff opponent is the best trainer). Work on your snap shooting skills. Don't get fixated. Don't JUST spray paint. Work WITH your team communicate. And MOST OF ALL REMEVER TGIS IS A SPORT AND GAME MEANT FIR FUN, SO PLAY AND HAVE FUN WIN OR LOOSE LAUGH AT MISTAKES TALK ABOUT TRIUMPHS, HAVE A BLAST AND KEEP IT SAFE.

Oh and don't be afraid to ask the guys ya playing agaist for pointers. Lots can be learned from the old guys and ya might just find that those old guys may be more than happy to help ya with ya game. Tell ya what to work at and tell ya what ya did wrong that exposed ya to that tricky shot.

Edited by TinyBear, 09 February 2013 - 11:52 PM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#11 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Wanna no the bane of every pump players existence, any semi player that gets into a spot where nobody on your team can get a shot on, and NOT LET UP, EVER. seriously all you can really do is sit back and snapshoot from the side that he's not lighting up. Really there's almost nothing I can do until he stops, at which point I run like hell to somewhere he can't see me :P

First After Mike!

what did I tell about doing that?

"If at first you don't succeed pump, pump again." -me

#12 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Surprisingly theres no older guys using pumps at my field. Theyre all 14-25year old dudes.

#13 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

It's actually pretty rare to see any older guys playing pump, especially speedball, my guess would be they lack of mobility (stereotyping here, generally the older you are the slower you are) really holds them back from keeping up with the average speedball player. In woodballs nobody really cares, and your free to basically just walk from cover to cover.

First After Mike!

what did I tell about doing that?

"If at first you don't succeed pump, pump again." -me

#14 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Really,most pumpers only weakness is firepower.But what most lack in firepower make up for in skill.

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yeah I can never seem to keep them down with firepower. Getting them while they moved worked quite well today.

#16 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Guys,he figured out our weakness,we have to take him out :P

Edited by paintballguy2255, 10 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#17 MZinCamo

MZinCamo

OG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,962 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I played pump for a long time. Still do.

I can play just as good with my electros as I can my CCM...the point is skills not the gun.

I think they are just better than you.

#18 SuicideLemming

SuicideLemming

Game on!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Kryptonite... that's the secret to take down pump players...

Seriously though, ya just got to work on the skills that pump players rely on because they are at a handicap. Knowing when and how to move, practicing snap-shooting, and communicating are invaluable on the field.

(Not to say you aren't doing those already. Just some tips from my experiences as a pump player.)

#19 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

I do those, and skill wise each is either the same or above than me, so it can be a challenge. They just seem to...work. I was just assuming, since I have the material advantage, how would I use it effectively?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users