27 replies to this topic

#1 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Everyone complains that paintball is not big enough. We need to be in the X Games, Olympics, and on television MOAR!!!! But what would be the effects... I know personally I love football and paintball. I have met several professional paintball players/personalities and talked with them, filmed them and actually got to meet them past the screen. While I have never met a single professional athlete of any other sport... If paintball was like other sports we would lose many of the things that make paintball great but there are also a great deal of benefits!

What do you think? What would we gain/lose by paintball becoming like other sports?

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I want to see paintball popularized, I couldn't give two shits what sports venues its at as long as people are playing.

#3 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

At first it would be a huge gain, then after while the people that made the sport great would forgotten.

I wish paintball was just tad bit more socially acceptable, but at the same time I still want it as a hobby sport, not a "main sport"

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

At first it would be a huge gain, then after while the people that made the sport great would forgotten.

I wish paintball was just tad bit more socially acceptable, but at the same time I still want it as a hobby sport, not a "main sport"

Good point, I think the first thing that needs to change is peoples perspective of paintball as unsafe. Its up to field owners and players to change that.

#5 gtcpaintball

gtcpaintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

The perspective of paintball is a bunch of kids shooting each other. I Think PSP would be the closest we could have to being mainstream competitive sport.
Visit my website at: www.gtcpaintball.com
Follow me on Twitter: @Gtcgabe12

#6 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

No one will ever take paintball serious since its grass roots is "playing army man"

When I was younger in the 90's when I heard people talk about "paintball" I thought about dressing up in camo going out to the boonies... I never would of thought about inflatable bunkers or anything.

plus with as much "safety" advocated people are these days listening to someone "shoot at" another person is considered barbaric.... and as long as we "shoot at" each other paintball will never see the day where it's socially acceptable.

#7 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

^^^ the funny thing is, it was ALOT more popular when it actually was playing "army man"

Once it turned "power ranger", it shrank

#8 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

exactly what Mike said.

First time I ever saw paintball was way back in the early 80's. My friend and I were in a national park goofing off, and we happened to enter the military training area by accident and stumbled on a bunch of military members doing war games... With paintball guns. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen, as they snuck up and surrounded us without us realizing it until the first guy stepped out, and then when we looked around we realized they were ALL around us! They had on goggles and full camo.

The main guy who talked to us shot a tree with his marker and I was like... "I've GOT to try that sometime".

Fast forward about 20 years and I was riding my quad through my woods, and I remembered that experience decades before and thought... Wow, my woods would be PERFECT to play paintball. And my private field "Trails of Doom" was started. I could care less about tournament games, or even paying to play. I get to go out into my woods with my friends and we get to play army.

And you know what... We have a blast with it, and our other friends want to join us. Because THAT is fun. No drama. no wiping, no bunkers where kids camp out. Just fast paced games, in the woods with friends.

Paintball needs more of that, not less...

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

^^^ the funny thing is, it was ALOT more popular when it actually was playing "army man"

Does this have to do with the massive increase in the price of equipment?

I think the splatmaster private groups and well kept recball fields that many fields are starting up are great. Approachable for new players without getting stomped by tourney players while stayng away from a military look that might scare nervous parents.

#10 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Eh I dont know about going back to the woods... I dont mind playing woodsball but I love speedball theres just something there you cant get out in the woods for me. I think it would be nice if there was an all around boost but I dont want to lose that small community feel...

#11 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Eh I dont know about going back to the woods... I dont mind playing woodsball but I love speedball theres just something there you cant get out in the woods for me. I think it would be nice if there was an all around boost but I dont want to lose that small community feel...

As much as I love speedball, there are some things that you get with woodsball that you don't get with speedball.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 12 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#12 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

How about no because its boring as fuck to watch.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#13 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

I agree that no one has found a format that has major spectator appeal. I think that the best thing about paintball hypothetically "getting big" would be the increased availability: more fields, youth leagues, school teams, local adult leagues, etc.

#14 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thats for sure a personal opinion because I could watch it all day... Also with better funding the tech they use to film would get better and therefore it would be a higher quality experience.

#15 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

People say paintball is boring to watch yet golf and baseball are extremely popular sports on television. I do not dislike either sport so do not think I am trying to bash them. Baseball is just some guy throwing a ball and you hope that someone hits the ball. Golf is essentially some guy hitting a ball down a field. Neither are very appealing sounding yet they are some of the most watched sports out there because people who understand the sports love them.

#16 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

WebDogPaintball did a pretty good video on this, I can't seem to find it. Basically he brings up the point that you can flip on a channel and watch any random sport you have no interest in, and still know roughly whats going on. Paintball doesn't really have that, its just a bunch of people standing still dumping pod after pod into eachother.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#17 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Boring?...

Have you watched any of my recent stuff?...

Besides the focus on two of those shots, (got a new camera now) what is boring about that video?

#18 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

WebDogPaintball did a pretty good video on this, I can't seem to find it. Basically he brings up the point that you can flip on a channel and watch any random sport you have no interest in, and still know roughly whats going on. Paintball doesn't really have that, its just a bunch of people standing still dumping pod after pod into eachother.

I dont know about that? I dont know the intricate rules of multiple sports I watch as long as you get the basics your good. Get hit with paint guess what your out boom you understand the basic concept of paintball.

#19 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

agreed. the age old hunt your friends in the woods has SERIOUS, fundamental and widespread appeal to lots of different people.

power rangers (tournaments) and LARPing (scenario) does not.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#20 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Am I the only person who is happy with paintball just the way it is? Its not so much growing as it is remaining steady as long as there is people to play then I could care less what people think about me playing.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#21 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

Am I the only person who is happy with paintball just the way it is? Its not so much growing as it is remaining steady as long as there is people to play then I could care less what people think about me playing.

i do. I absolutely love it... my only problem with the sport what so ever is the cost of paint, while it has gone way down since the 90's. It still hurts to pay over $200+ on just paint in one day. Yes this sport is a luxury sport but damn, even rich people will feel that pinch.

#22 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Just puttin' this out there;
If paintball was bigger , it in turn would become cheaper.

Posted Image

#23 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

^Hey lots of people shoot firearms, why aren't they cheaper?

it all boils down to one thing.

How much are you willing to pay for something.

#24 gtcpaintball

gtcpaintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Considering.. Firearms are much lower than if not many people bought them.
Visit my website at: www.gtcpaintball.com
Follow me on Twitter: @Gtcgabe12

#25 LikeACheeseStick

LikeACheeseStick

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Prices most likely would not drop if there were more people playing.

The fundamentals of supply and demand are just giving people what they want. Companies could care less if you're getting a good deal or not, they're companies. They're here to make money.

Edited by LikeACheeseStick, 13 February 2013 - 03:28 PM.

"They found me in an alley way, trying to re-enter the Earths' atmosphere in an old refrigerator box."

#26 awesompants

awesompants

My pants are awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Boring?...

Have you watched any of my recent stuff?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV1kEYq46Kk

Besides the focus on two of those shots, (got a new camera now) what is boring about that video?

I personally find woodsball videos a lot more boring than speedball. With that being said, I love playing both. Just my .02

Edited by awesompants, 14 February 2013 - 02:00 PM.

TechPB Feedback 2/0/0 MCB Feedback 1/0/0 PBN Feedback 1/0/0
Buy My Cocker Pump! Sexilicious Tri-Fade Dragon FST

University of Michigan, Go Wolverines

#27 Exile308

Exile308

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

You don't get the massive growth you want and the small community feel. They just don't work together. This is how you make people want to play with stuff like this http://www.kalb.com/...&autostart=true

#28 5ozofpain

5ozofpain

FUS RO DAH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I am perfectly content with paintball in its current state, but I know that companies would start making a lot more money if this sport became more mainstream.

Feedback I LE AXE 

EKK ELITE

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users