Is the mini as bad as some people say?

#2 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

No, but i will say people seem to love it or hate it.. That being said it is definitly not worth the new price imo.

Before you get a mini what is your price range and what other gear do you have?

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

#3 SynystrAssassin

SynystrAssassin

Flawless is a Habit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yes. Absolutely hated it.

#4 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's not that bad. It's just that it's too small for some people, and has arguably the worst trigger of any paintball gun you can buy. It's also not worth buying new because you can get a used Axe for that price.

I have one and I like mine. I wanted a really small, light, reliable gun and I've had mine for years and it hasn't gone down once. I don't care about the trigger because I don't really take it our of PSP mode. I also got it right before the Axe came out so I was a little pissed off about that for a while.

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 13 February 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#5 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

It's too small for anyone older than 14 years old.
It has arguably the worst trigger on the planet.
Did I mention the length + the ergonomics on the marker make it almost impossible to hold?
It works, but it's like holding two crayola markers glued together and running around with that.

For the price of a new one you can get a used Axe which is longer, so if you're older than 14 you can actually hold it.

#6 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

I love my mini, it shoots decently, light and tight. But buy used.

And look at the members view according to community, techpb and pbn hates the mini for some reason. And mcb loves the minis, which is I can only have serious discussion only on mcb

Edited by get.lit.up!, 13 February 2013 - 09:13 AM.

gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#7 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

It's too small for anyone older than 14 years old.
It has arguably the worst trigger on the planet.
Did I mention the length + the ergonomics on the marker make it almost impossible to hold?
It works, but it's like holding two crayola markers glued together and running around with that.

For the price of a new one you can get a used Axe which is longer, so if you're older than 14 you can actually hold it.

Stop. You're doing what just about most people do when they talk about the Mini, they exaggerate. I'm 6'3" and weigh 215, so I'm kind of a big guy, and I don't have that much trouble with the Mini. I also wear size XL gloves, so my hands aren't that small either.

Trigger sucks, it needs an on/off ASA, and it can be too short for some people. That's why you get the Axe. End of Story. That's it.

INB4 KingJurzy Mini sucks ass, shitty platform, etc.

#8 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ill do it for him: the mini just sucks ass and runs off a shitty platform, not coming with an on off and ergos and the size make it stupid.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#9 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Omg definitely inb4 kingjurzy

And I like how the axe uses the mini platform but different size, Orange chicken

Edited by get.lit.up!, 13 February 2013 - 09:41 AM.

gnUDL.png

#10 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Trigger sucks, it needs an on/off ASA, and it can be too short for some people. That's why you get the Axe. End of Story. That's it.

That's pretty much my take on it. The trigger is very loose and sloppy to me, but otherwise I don't find it too small for me (then again, I'm just 5'8"), it has great efficiency, and it can shoot tournament limit speeds or faster with no problem.

But if you want a really light setup to carry out on the field, the mini is a great marker at a budget price.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#11 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I hate them, crappy triggers, bad ergos, so much barrel rise, nothing special in efficiency... What more could you not want? Posted Image Idk they're ok, I'd only buy one for less than $100 though, I'd rather have a envy, extcy or rail for that price. Or a used shocker Posted Image

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#12 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Ill do it for him: the mini just sucks ass and runs off a shitty platform, not coming with an on off and ergos and the size make it stupid.

Shitty platform? Tell me your opinion of the Axe platform.

Size makes it stupid? Do children and women of smaller size not play paintball?

And no On/Off!? What ever will I do? I can't even play anymore without an On/Off ASA.

#13 stinkfingr

stinkfingr

time traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Location:Trapped Between The Worlds Of Make Believe, And Large Giant Multi Colored Shimmering Jello Cubes

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

i actually like the small size, works great in and around bunkers, and i shortened the barrel even more because in paintball there really is no such thing as accuracy past 30 feet. and how far away is that next bunker ??? the balance of the gun for me is great, it's quiet, and it's lite. I don't care about the trigger, i'm usually pullin that for all it's worth anyway ... but the ASA could use some improvement or better aftermarket options

#14 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm about 5'8" and I could not get over how the size was in my hands.
Maybe it's because I'm pampered towards larger trigger frames but the almost 90* grip frame added with the size of it makes me not like it.

I'm sorry I was stating my opinion on what I thought about the marker.

#15 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

i actually like the small size, works great in and around bunkers, and i shortened the barrel even more because in paintball there really is no such thing as accuracy past 30 feet. and how far away is that next bunker ???

Wouldn't have effected the accuracy if it were 3" or 5'.

The Mini is bad and owners should feel bad.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#16 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

i actually like the small size, works great in and around bunkers, and i shortened the barrel even more because in paintball there really is no such thing as accuracy past 30 feet. and how far away is that next bunker ???

But I haz 3 of them (sold two of them lol)
gnUDL.png

#17 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Shitty platform? Tell me your opinion of the Axe platform.

Size makes it stupid? Do children and women of smaller size not play paintball?

And no On/Off!? What ever will I do? I can't even play anymore without an On/Off ASA.

Not my opinion, just pretend that Jurzy's name is there instead of mine.
I think they're meh okay, but I'd rather spend my money on an axe or something higher than a meh gun that's already in the same price range as my extcy.

#18 stinkfingr

stinkfingr

time traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Location:Trapped Between The Worlds Of Make Believe, And Large Giant Multi Colored Shimmering Jello Cubes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

meh ... you're right .... i've seen the error of my ways and i repent of having made such a grievous and obvious blunder .... i feel bad, so bad
hahaha .... not ... :lol:

#19 Bugman

Bugman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

I wanted a small lite weight gun, I handled several guns including the Mini, Axe, g6r, Reflex Rail, etha, ect.... most of these modern Speedball guns are really light and compact. The Mini was a little smaller than the Axe. I was going to buy the Axe for many reasons, but mainly because of the cost/preformance ratio.

I am not small 6'1" 220 lbs and XL glove. I got a killer deal on a used Mini so I went with it. Maybe I will regret it, but it feels just fine and shoots just fine. Only shot a couple of hoppers though in practice at home. All things considered, I think the Mini is fine if you are buying used and you get a really good deal. Otherwise I would spend a few extra bucks on the Axe.

A friend of mine has one and loves it, he plays a lot, but he is a small guy.

I felt after holding the gun, I could tell that the smaller size did not bother me. Many don't like the way the Axe feels either. I played a few games with a Axe. It felt great to me. So the feel of a gun is so very personal to each of us. Never buy a gun that you have never held in you hand.

Thruthfully the Mini could work for you, but only you can answer that. Just keep in mind it does not have a good resale value, because many don't like it. But that works in your favor if you like them and want to get one cheap. My deal was so good I could not pass it up.

#20 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

No minis aren't too bad

#21 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

The board is so absolutely incredibly bad I cannot even make up a word to spite it.
Don't even get me started on the tremendously terrible regulator and trigger.
Ergonomics, feel and looks are all preference I know, but it scores bottom of the barrel on all those as well.

#22 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

The board is so absolutely incredibly bad I cannot even make up a word to spite it.
Ergonomics, feel and looks are all preference I know, but it scores bottom of the barrel on all those as well.

Oh BOO HOO the optimis <v1.6 boards had PSP issues. But the STOCK shockwave boards are working decently
gnUDL.png

#23 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Oh BOO HOO the optimis <v1.6 boards had PSP issues. But the STOCK shockwave boards are working decently

Oh boo hoo? Really? There goes your credibility out the window. Bye!
The stock mini boards fry and have a nice way of spontaneously go into unlimited ramping mode.

#24 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Have one of the older board v1.2 boards, and kee won't even replace it since it is not fried. Irrelatvant since I got 2 shockwave boards.

The only psp problem that I ever heard was 15bps cap activation then 12.5bps capped ramp.
gnUDL.png

#25 Stealth1k

Stealth1k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Cant say i know much about markers but i can say i that i tested my v3 mini and DM10 "Side to side" and i cant say the dm10 is any more consistent than the mini. i was shooting at a jug about 35 meters away (both using the same dye UL barrel and balls) and they were both "in the same range" of consistency.

Am i saying a mini is equal to a DM? No, but it does serve its purpose - getting paint where you want it.

#26 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Cant say i know much about markers but i can say i that i tested my v3 mini and DM10 "Side to side" and i cant say the dm10 is any more consistent than the mini. i was shooting at a jug about 35 meters away (both using the same dye UL barrel and balls) and they were both "in the same range" of consistency.

Am i saying a mini is equal to a DM? No, but it does serve its purpose - getting paint where you want it.

Well in that context, a tippmann 98 is equal to my brothers clone gt.

#27 Stealth1k

Stealth1k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Not even close, The 'context' was consistancy at 35 meters (which is quite a way for a paintball outdoors IMO). My A5 isn't even consistant at 15 meters so idk how a 98 is gonna compare to a clone at 35m. Maybe at 10 feet.

#28 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Not even close, The 'context' was consistancy at 35 meters (which is quite a way for a paintball outdoors IMO). My A5 isn't even consistant at 15 meters so idk how a 98 is gonna compare to a clone at 35m. Maybe at 10 feet.

I don't think consistency is what you think it is, and accuracy is the same between a 98 and Clone, as it is with any gun.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#29 OBF

OBF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I personally can't stand them, but a lot of people like them. The only way I would use one is if it had a foregrip extender, and maybe even not then.

My feedback: http://www.techpb.co...331&hl=feedback

10/0/0

#30 Stealth1k

Stealth1k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

I don't think consistency is what you think it is, and accuracy is the same between a 98 and Clone, as it is with any gun.

Maybe it doesnt mean the same thing to us, but to me a paintball marker isn't very "Accurate" at 35+ meters. When i say consistent i mean that it consistently puts the balls within the same 1-2 foot area at a distance. Maybe you're right though maybe the term i'm looking for when it comes to PB is accuracy lol. My A5 and X7 aren't any where near as consistant / accurate as my DM10 at a distance, so maybe i gave the clone too much or the 98 too little credit? My mistake.

Edited by Stealth1k, 17 February 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#31 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Consistency is how big of a difference the FPS value is between every shot. Distance to the target is irrelevant.
And accuracy should be the same on any gun at the same FPS.

#32 Sellingbrokenion

Sellingbrokenion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

I work at a field see tons of guns come through. Some are good some are bad. I see hundreds of mini's over the course of the year. They are great guns but like every other gun only as good as the people using them. They wont fit every one no gun does. That being said on release boards were hit or miss, but empire was quick to replace boards and within weeks of release was replacing all them with new updated boards. The first popits were problematic but again they were quick come out with new version of those and replace them free of charge to. It probably was the most successful launch of a new system and brand I have seen. Now the biggest problem with the gun is the owners, just not taking care of the gun or incorrect operation by owner. Realize for most people this is the first electric gun, or tournament gun they get. It's taking the place of ion, and rail. Some of them don't even know difference between an HPA or Co2 tank. Are they going to tank the gun when it doesn't work the way they imagined it? yep. So is the mini really that bad, nope no rational person can say its a bad gun. Is it the right gun for everyone? Nope, there is no right gun for everyone, and the mini different enough to alienate people. In the end the only way to find out how good or bad a gun is to try it.

Here is a good pro con.

Benefits of a mini:
The best customer service all around.
The resale value of the gun is very good. Around 225 most places.
The gun is simple and easy, no one should complain about the gun being complicated.
Out of the box it is a good tournament gun, you do not need to upgrade boards or anything to play in tournaments.
The gun is light weight but still metal. I like many people would rather have a metal gun any day.
It's small for some people this a good the best of things.
LEDs with a battery life indicator, you have no idea the amount guns without this that cost a great deal more and dead or low batteries are the number 1 gun malfunction for all electric guns.

Draw backs of a mini.
ASA , why is an on off important for quick and easy screwing and unscrewing of tanks. With out it you should fire the gun in a safe spot and unscrew the tank to avoid stripping the thread. The gun can gas up with the tank not fully on giving you a few shots then dropping off.
Ball D tents, they suck I replaced mine about the 6th time playing with the mini (kila products magnetic dtents) . They are weak mine ended up shooting out the barrel of my gun while I was playing. They also wont wear evenly really messing up the trajectory of the ball.
Not a Tinkers dream, a lot people will hate on this gun because at its core it seems to be better to leave parts stock then after market the heck out of it. People love upgrading their guns boards, regs, bolts, the works, and on minis its hit or miss.
It's small, there are a couple reason people will say this a draw back, I am an average sized guy about 6 ft tall have no problems, but i am also skinny. Being american I think there might also be a psychological aspect of playing with a mini that will drive some people to hate its size.
Magnets, do you like them? If it just doesn't feel right you will probably not like the trigger.

#33 Jujubeaz

Jujubeaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

First off, I am a new fairly new player so take everything I say with caution. I would say to get one you first have to go into a shop and feel it. There are many people who hate minis with a burning passion and there are also those who love them and swear by them. In my opinion (as a mini owner) in boils down to the feel and reliability of any marker. If you are a small/thin guy, the mini may feel excellent for you, but that is in general, as there are larger players who love their minis and smaller players who hate them. In terms of reliability, the marker does quite well. It definitely needs less cleaning and maintenance then some other markers in that price range (basically anything from Dangerous Power) and most problems can be fixed by replacing the batteries. If you can't figure out whats wrong or don't have the ability to fix it, the marker also comes with a limited life-time warranty on all its parts, so as long as you didn't break it, they'll fix it for you. Honestly, the trigger will suck if you are used to a standard trigger, but with a little time, practice, and a shit ton of adjustment, you can shoot just fine. Even with all the advantages of the marker, and this stands with just about any marker, if it doesn't fit you/feel good in your hands, pretty much anything else will be better.

#34 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

i liked mine, i just didnt have the trigger control to use it properly. i do now however. i would like a new one sometime, but i would need an on/off. they are solid performers, but the crossover and g5 are both better for very little more

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#35 iNicker

iNicker

Amazing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

but the crossover and g5 are both better for very little more

i will have to agree with you on this one.

#36 SynystrAssassin

SynystrAssassin

Flawless is a Habit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

First off, I am a new fairly new player so take everything I say with caution. I would say to get one you first have to go into a shop and feel it. There are many people who hate minis with a burning passion and there are also those who love them and swear by them. In my opinion (as a mini owner) in boils down to the feel and reliability of any marker. If you are a small/thin guy, the mini may feel excellent for you, but that is in general, as there are larger players who love their minis and smaller players who hate them. In terms of reliability, the marker does quite well. It definitely needs less cleaning and maintenance then some other markers in that price range (basically anything from Dangerous Power) and most problems can be fixed by replacing the batteries. If you can't figure out whats wrong or don't have the ability to fix it, the marker also comes with a limited life-time warranty on all its parts, so as long as you didn't break it, they'll fix it for you. Honestly, the trigger will suck if you are used to a standard trigger, but with a little time, practice, and a shit ton of adjustment, you can shoot just fine. Even with all the advantages of the marker, and this stands with just about any marker, if it doesn't fit you/feel good in your hands, pretty much anything else will be better.

Tells him three months after the question is asked...

#37 G.prime

G.prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

I'm 6'7 and abd can use the mini without much problems I got an axe cause I like a bigger setup and the trigger is alot better and screwing a tank on the mini was annoying the thread jus never wanna catch but that might only be a problem with my dads

At that price range I would probably get an extcy I still kinda want one

#38 Manch Vegas Baller

Manch Vegas Baller

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Only complaint with the mini is the trigger. I'm just glad they fixed that when they announced the axe

Current set up
Gun:LE PDD Axe
Loader:V3 Rotor
Tank:Ninja 45/45
Axe FS/T: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222591

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users