• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 matias22

matias22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I JUST BROUGHT A TIPPMAN 98 CUSTOM AND I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADED IT , SO I NEED IDEAS.

THANK YOU

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Please, do not type in all caps. It is very annoying.

I would put absolutely no upgrades into a 98.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

you just bought it and you already want to upgrade it?
what issues are you having with it?

#4 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

Center feedneck, eyes, HPR and double trigger with an E board would be my first ideas.

#5 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

Can't wait to see where this thread goes...

Posted Image

#6 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

nothing wrong with a 98 or wanting to upgrade it....

i'd start with a barrel, around a .685 bore then a center feed or cyclone depending on where your playing, then either an RT kit or a E-trigger setup. Personally i wouldn't really get too involved with the milsim or cosmetic upgrades, really just wasted money IMO.

as far as guys knocking the 98, because inevitably there will be some. chances are their the type of guys that will buy an extcy and then put a blackheart board and a bunch of other crap on it... just ignore them. Do what you want with your gun, but keep in mind that no matter how much money you put in it it will still be a heavy-ish tippmann 98

#7 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

nothing wrong with a 98 or wanting to upgrade it....

i'd start with a barrel, around a .685 bore then a center feed or cyclone depending on where your playing, then either an RT kit or a E-trigger setup. Personally i wouldn't really get too involved with the milsim or cosmetic upgrades, really just wasted money IMO.

as far as guys knocking the 98, because inevitably there will be some. chances are their the type of guys that will buy an extcy and then put a blackheart board and a bunch of other crap on it... just ignore them. Do what you want with your gun, but keep in mind that no matter how much money you put in it it will still be a heavy-ish tippmann 98

You know, you could just say Orange Chicken, no need to sound oh so innocent or general about who you're pointing fingers at. B)

But do not upgrade anything on the Tippmann 98, especially anything cosmetic or milsim. Despite how much you upgrade it, it'll still shoot like the 100 dollar blowback it is, which overall is a very old, kicky, and loud design. Use the money on "player upgrades", such as a nice mask, a nice loader, a nice Carbon Fiber HPA tank, or hell, just paint and admission to give you more experience. But don't upgrade Tippmanns, they're just wasteful money pits when you do start to upgrade them.

PS, the extcy already has the blackheart board in it, and you don't need to put ANYTHING but a tank and loader on it, because it's such a good gun that it comes with an on/off, a clamping lever feedneck, a nice trigger, and a decent barrel.

Edited by Orange Chicken, 15 February 2013 - 05:01 AM.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#8 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

i wasn't trying to call you out or anything Orange Chicken... Its not just you that recommends the extcy and seemingly hates on most tippmann products lol... That being said the extcy i don't believe started out with a blackheart in it stock. You are correct that the 98 is an old design, but its stuck around for so long because it works and always will. Mud, rain, sleet, snow, they just don't care.

Also I believe you are correct in that the extcy is a great-bang-for-the-buck marker, they work very well, however there are other guns out there that will outshoot an extcy in the price range currently... i'm not saying their all new but how about shockers, impulses, promasters.... the list goes on and on.

like i said no matter what upgrades the OP puts on the gun it will still be a tippmann 98

#9 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

I have been shooting Tippmanns since I started in this sport (back when the 98c was NEW lol). I have Tons of experience with many different Tippmann products.

For upgrading a 98c. Primarily I'd suggest first and for most getting a good carbon fibre 4500psi HPA tank, that alone will improve the guns consistency dramatically. Next up I'd get a electronic hopper on the low price scale maybe a VALKEN V-Max or Halo Too. These two things are a good way to start as they can go with you if ya decide to change guns in the future.

Next up is actual gun mods. I personally LOVE running a Tippmann Flatline barrel, it gives ya a bit more range but the biggest benefit is the FLAT trajectory witch is HUGE advantage in low ceiling playing environments even more so that the APEX barrels. And the Flatline is ONLY available for Tippmanns (well sort off WGP did offer a flatline auto cocker back in the day but it did not work too good and is EXTREAMLY rare). And secondly I like the RT trigger system. Once ya get the hang of finding the sweet spot it's a lot of fun. Full Auto firing basically without batteries in the gun is pure FUN.

And that's all I'd recommend for a Tippmann 98c. Those 4 things WILL offer some sort of noticeable change to the guns performance. HPA gives efficiency, Electronic Loader ensures paints in the breach when ya pull the trigger, Flatline barrel gives ya a bit more reach and a flatter trajectory of the ball, and the RT gives ya a HUGE increase in ROF.

About the ONLY other upgrade I can see being worth it to some is a TECHT Zero kick hammer as it will cut down on the "kick" of the gun quite a bit, I personally never had issue with the kick of any paintball gun so have never found the need but some like them.

Edited by TinyBear, 15 February 2013 - 08:34 AM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#10 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

A new gun.

Ohio Raiders 

#11 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm still going to highly recommend staying away from upgrading a Tippmann. Any performance gain, if any, will most likely not be worth it. With that being said, I would instead put that money towards paint, field fees, or upgrades, like a new mask, tank, or loader. There really is nothing wrong with a Tippmann, just use it, and have fun.

And please refrain form making this person's thread a debate on Tippmanns.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users