• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Slipurknot15

Slipurknot15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Alright so my b-day is coming up and ill basically get a crapload of money, what is a recommended setup for a marker hopper and a tank.
PM ME ABOUT PAINTBALL DRAWINGS

#2 Vidalecent

Vidalecent

Low-end <3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

First thing is first. You have a mask right? Get a mask first. Then a super loader (Rotor, Spire, Prophecy), Then Guerilla Air or Ninja CF tank. Whichever fits your arm properly. Then a gun. A budget would help figure out what's doable.

#3 Vidalecent

Vidalecent

Low-end <3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

First thing is first. You have a mask right? Get a mask first. Then a super loader (Rotor, Spire, Prophecy), Then Guerilla Air or Ninja CF tank. Whichever fits your arm properly. Then a gun. A budget would help figure out what's doable.

#4 ThePBLady

ThePBLady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

What kind of paintball do you play??? I would definitely say a Rotor. As for a tank I would go with either a Guerilla tank, Crossfire tank or Ninja tank. As for a gun... you could go anywhere with that depending on price. I love my EGO, GEO 3 is really nice and so are the Luxe, but again it depends on what you play and prefer. Make sure to check out my sponsor Tri-City Extreme when you go to buy any new gear! Oh yea I hear the JT Splat Master is lots of fun to :P

Happy Birthday by the way!!!!
The Pb Lady
www.thepblady.com------Visit my blog website and also find me on Facebook and YouTube

Posted Image
Tri-City Extreme

#5 D4tkidd1524

D4tkidd1524

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

MOD EDIT: NO BUY SELL TRADE outside of the BST Forums

Edited by PacosTacos88, 09 March 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#6 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Whats your current setup?

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#7 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Im Selling a Dangerous Power G4 Brand New For Only $250 ... Its A Great Beginners Gun but a little more toward The intermediate paintballer side Posted Image

gun link: http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=212889

dis gon be good when the mods come *grabs popcorn*

Lulzjustacat.png

#8 Slipurknot15

Slipurknot15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

yea i have a mask and obviously my birthday hasnt come up yet so i dont know what my budget is

#9 Slipurknot15

Slipurknot15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

What kind of paintball do you play??? I would definitely say a Rotor. As for a tank I would go with either a Guerilla tank, Crossfire tank or Ninja tank. As for a gun... you could go anywhere with that depending on price. I love my EGO, GEO 3 is really nice and so are the Luxe, but again it depends on what you play and prefer. Make sure to check out my sponsor Tri-City Extreme when you go to buy any new gear! Oh yea I hear the JT Splat Master is lots of fun to :P

Happy Birthday by the way!!!!

well im just getting into paintball lol and ik tht the ego and geos are really good guns but theyre also expensive haha :) and ill check them out and thnk u

Edited by Slipurknot15, 15 February 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#10 Slipurknot15

Slipurknot15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Whats your current setup?

lol again im just getting into paintball

#11 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Depending on how much money you get, our responses will vary. Also, keep in mind this is paintball, so a "crapload" will only get you so far. If you are getting 500 dollars ish, here is what I recommend: since you are new, don't spend all of it. You could put all your money into a badass milsim marker, and then realize you like speedball. Be smart, frugal, see if you like the game/sport/hobby, then you can make bigger investments based on how much you play.
For a new player in general
Get a nice 50+ dollar mask. You cant see, you cant shoot. I like to recommend a vforce profiler to new people. It provides great protection, and breathes/vents very well. They are very easy to take apart, and the lenses arent thermal, so you don't have to worry about special cleaning methods. Just water and a smooth cloth (preferrably microfiber) and you are good to go. You can even just dunk them in water since the lenses aren't dual pane.
After you have a mask, get a hopper. The rotor is probably the most popular, but don't buy it new if you do decide to get one. A great hopper for new players is the pinokio, its very simple and will never break on you. Stay away from the z2 if you are newer, it has great tech and looks,its the one I prefer, but if you aren't handy with tools its a process to take apart.
After you have a hopper, a 68/4500 air tank is what most people use, and you can find them used for 90 $.air tanks need to be hydro tested every 5 years, so make sure if you buy one used it is in hydro. I would recommend either crossfire or ninja, although its probably best to spend the extra 10 on a ninja.
Now you actually get to consider markers.
For a great starter mechanical gun, the gog enemy will work well. If you want something electronic, try the gog extcy, or the proto rail, both around 250 new. If you can find them used that's even better, they can be had for as low as 170. If you want to spend a bit more money, check out used eteks, reflex rails and axes. There are differences between these, and based on your preferences you will want to pick one or the other.
The only other thing I would really reccomend getting is a decent pod pack, empire, nxe, dye, and hk all make good ones.
Other things you will want to look ate are knee pads, but those along with pants, jerseys, cleats, and other sorft goods
If you are smart, you can get a full setup for as little as $300.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#12 Dpetro

Dpetro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

i mean for a basic set up if you want to do some speed ball but not have a better gun (400$+) like the pros the smart parts ion 2.0 is really good, but if you like to play woodsball or urban get a tippman a5. with the a5 you can customize it too how ever youd like too in the end. both are cheap and pretty good

#13 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

i mean for a basic set up if you want to do some speed ball but not have a better gun (400$+) like the pros the smart parts ion 2.0 is really good, but if you like to play woodsball or urban get a tippman a5. with the a5 you can customize it too how ever youd like too in the end. both are cheap and pretty good

No.

Woodsball player =/= suggest A5

#14 Dpetro

Dpetro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

No.

Woodsball player =/= suggest A5

my opinion man lol

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Well its just that the OP will think that yours is 100% right and true, and he trusts advice from us. Now I respect your liking of the Tippmann A5, and your image that Woodsball is only for Tippmanns and MilSig markers, but why is there a 'woodsball' marker to begin with?
'Woodsball' markers have no logical advantages over any nice electro; they don't shoot as nice, they are not as quiet, they are not as tight and light, they are not regulated for the most part, they have an offset hopper(A5+X7), negating left and right hand shooting for the most part, and they openly suggest wasting more of your money on useless 'upgrades' that do nothing for performance or so little that it is not worth the price.

Go with an electronic marker, regardless of playing style.

#16 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Im Selling a Dangerous Power G4 Brand New For Only $250 ... Its A Great Beginners Gun but a little more toward The intermediate paintballer side Posted Image

gun link: http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=212889

The mods don't like it when you talk about BST outside of BST. I mean, they really don't like it. Like, this will happen to you.

Posted Image

You wouldn't like that, would you? Please don't let the mods do this to you. Please read this.

#17 raven_op

raven_op

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Im seeing some misleading advice here. I will try to clarify for you.

orange chicken is right. You need to not worry about "tacticool" looking gear. milsim markers are a money pit (paintball is already enough of a money pit without having to add to that).
Go

what kind of mask do you have? is it thermal? thats very important, you should always spend a considerableamount of money on a mask. asmathicrhino is giving you bad advice. yes you shouldnt dunk your thermal lens under water, but to suggest not buying one due to that? absurd. Make sure you have a thermal lens mask as it will not fog up on you (then tempting you to take off your mask, common rookie mistake and very dangerous)

Look at getting yourself a hopper next, spire,rotor,prophecy and pinokio are the optimal choice (some of these are expensive to buy new though) you can go with an empire scion which is cheaper but performs well

Next, look at getting a carbon fiber tank. it should always be 4500 psi, however, the size of the tank is dependant on how it feels when you use it. bigger people like myself (6'4") want a longer tank since it feels more natural. that being said though, perhaps you might like the smaller sizes. try them all out and find what fits you best

Finally, your marker. at this point, you should know that playing paintball is something you want to do a lot or not. judging by your decision there, you can figure out if you want to spend a lot or a little here. there are so many great choice out there. do your research first if something catches your eye. pick it up, play with the electronics, even try to find someone witht he same marker and play a few games with it. if you do that, you will never be disappointed with what you buy. Look into used markers as well.you can get some insanely good markers for dirt cheap that will last you years to come without a hefty pricetage.

Welcome to techpb and I hope you enjoy paintball as much as the rest of us do
If you need anymorte advice feel free to message me and I can bounce some ideas off you.

#18 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

would you like a hula-hoop?

Posted Image

#19 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

I like how people aren't allowed to be into milsim on this site, because most don't find it practical. It certainly doesn't suit my play style, but I admire the guys who do, playing at such a heavy disadvantage takes skill.

As far as the OP's question, a price range would be very helpful, as well any kind of direction as a lot of paintball equipment will be personal preference.

#20 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I like how people aren't allowed to be into milsim on this site, because most don't find it practical. It certainly doesn't suit my play style, but I admire the guys who do, playing at such a heavy disadvantage takes skill.

As far as the OP's question, a price range would be very helpful, as well any kind of direction as a lot of paintball equipment will be personal preference.

i agrees as wellz. playing with all that shit on is quite a hefty bit of weight, something I wouldn't do personally but it's like when you were young and played army or some sort of imaginary war game of sorts...just on a bigger scale and with all the neat stuff to really indulge your mind into pretending as if you were a young child again.

Lulzjustacat.png

#21 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

"Milsim" is an extremely specific genre, with considerable limitation. You are sacrificing functionality, for the aesthetics of using something that resembles a real firearm. In most cases in paintball, you can have something that looks like a paintball gun that works perfect for all areas of paintball (airball, speedball, woodsball, hyperball) like an ETEK, or you can get a "MilSim" gun like an G36 Phenom, that only works decently for woodsball

To recommend to someone, especially for a first setup, to "go Milsim" is very irresponsible thing to do. They are going to spend a ton of money on something that resembles an M-16, that won't be effective in 90% of the games they play. People don't use remote lines much anymore, we all know as experienced players that car stocks are worthless on paintball guns, we all know that it's very difficult to use "real" sights on paintball guns, and we also know that using magazines give people a massive disadvantage. So why recommend something like that, to someone who doesn't know about paintball or how it's played?

Start off with a REAL paintball marker, learn how the sport is played, THEN decide if milsim is right for you. This way, you are making an EDUCATED decision to go into Milsim, already knowing it's limitations.

I personally feel its very irresponsible to recommend to a new player to "go milsim". Learn the game first, learn how to play paintball, get experienced in all the different types of paintball (airball, woodsball, etc). Once you understand the sport better, THEN you can make an educated decision to explore a new genre, whether it be tournaments, pump play, milsim, mag fed only, etc

#22 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

"Milsim" is an extremely specific genre, with considerable limitation. You are sacrificing functionality, for the aesthetics of using something that resembles a real firearm. In most cases in paintball, you can have something that looks like a paintball gun that works perfect for all areas of paintball (airball, speedball, woodsball, hyperball) like an ETEK, or you can get a "MilSim" gun like an G36 Phenom, that only works decently for woodsball

To recommend to someone, especially for a first setup, to "go Milsim" is very irresponsible thing to do. They are going to spend a ton of money on something that resembles an M-16, that won't be effective in 90% of the games they play. People don't use remote lines much anymore, we all know as experienced players that car stocks are worthless on paintball guns, we all know that it's very difficult to use "real" sights on paintball guns, and we also know that using magazines give people a massive disadvantage. So why recommend something like that, to someone who doesn't know about paintball or how it's played?

Start off with a REAL paintball marker, learn how the sport is played, THEN decide if milsim is right for you. This way, you are making an EDUCATED decision to go into Milsim, already knowing it's limitations.

I personally feel its very irresponsible to recommend to a new player to "go milsim". Learn the game first, learn how to play paintball, get experienced in all the different types of paintball (airball, woodsball, etc). Once you understand the sport better, THEN you can make an educated decision to explore a new genre, whether it be tournaments, pump play, milsim, mag fed only, etc

haha I like how you keep putting quotes around things as if I said them, if you re-read my post you will see i never said I suggested the play style, simply that people on this site will not accept it as a viable play style since they find it so unpractical. All I did was state that I admire the people who will play at a disadvantage.

None-the-less, I still disagree, a new player shouldn't own an electro to start off, for the majority they have no sense of trigger control and tend to unintentionally over shoot with one.

#23 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

haha I like how you keep putting quotes around things as if I said them, if you re-read my post you will see i never said I suggested the play style, simply that people on this site will not accept it as a viable play style since they find it so unpractical. All I did was state that I admire the people who will play at a disadvantage.

None-the-less, I still disagree, a new player shouldn't own an electro to start off, for the majority they have no sense of trigger control and tend to unintentionally over shoot with one.

But trigger control could be learned without buying both a mechanical/pump marker and an electro. It's like saying that they shouldn't start with a good hopper because they'd overshoot. It just makes them use more money than they should. Instead of spending the extra 100-140 dollars on a mech just to 'learn trigger control', why not just tell them how to do that with an electro?

#24 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

But trigger control could be learned without buying both a mechanical/pump marker and an electro. It's like saying that they shouldn't start with a good hopper because they'd overshoot. It just makes them use more money than they should. Instead of spending the extra 100-140 dollars on a mech just to 'learn trigger control', why not just tell them how to do that with an electro?

because not everyone can have the mental capability of controlling their urge to want to overshoot. I'm not saying OP is one of them but lets face it, we don't have the most brightest of bunch in this hobby.

Lulzjustacat.png

#25 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

The price of paint can do a lot to teaching someone trigger control.

#26 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

The price of paint can do a lot to teaching someone trigger control.

Not from my experience, I'm regularly getting over shot by newbies with electros

#27 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

They overshoot regardless. It doesnt take long to not overshoot.

#28 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

They overshoot regardless. It doesnt take long to not overshoot.

overshooting on a mech would still equate to less paint being shot given both a mech and and electro both shooting for the same amount of time. we should really end this though as it is becoming an off topic debate on a thread from someone who is looking for help/answers to their question.

Lulzjustacat.png

#29 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Well my answer is an electro as it is an improvement over mechs and will mean you really won't have to buy a nicer gun unless you really want to, in the future, due to the fact that an electro such as an eXTCy can compete with other guns and save you money from buying two guns.
His is that mechs help newbies with trigger control so they do not over shoot and learn how to conserve paint.

Take your pick, and let this debate be ended.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users