• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

AXE VS. ETEK 4. Which one should I get?!

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

If you can get used to the ergos of an Axe, I would get it over an Etek.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Axe, smoother and quieter, although ergos are awkward to some.
Axe comes in really nice colors too.

#4 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Etek 4. Yeah its a bit louder then the axe, but it looks better. Kick, Efficiency and everything else are about the same anyway.

Also..there's about 50 million threads regarding this topic located in general, newbie discussion forums and even here in equipment advice. Can I ask you to use the Search next time :)

Edited by Syrellaris, 16 February 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#5 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

See but the problem is he risks necroing that thread if it doesn't have information that he wants.

Are you buying used or new?
If you're buying an Axe/Etek new then I would suggest some older super guns used.

#6 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Etek 4. Yeah its a bit louder then the axe, but it looks better. Kick, Efficiency and everything else are about the same anyway.

Also..there's about 50 million threads regarding this topic located in general, newbie discussion forums and even here in equipment advice. Can I ask you to use the Search next time :)

Actually the Axe is much more quiet, (there is a reason the Eteks have been dubbed "hand cannons") efficient, smoother, and looks are personal preference.

And he is allowed to ask questions, that is the point of the forum.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 16 February 2013 - 12:18 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#7 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Actually the Axe is much more quiet, (there is a reason the Eteks have been dubbed "hand cannons") efficient, smoother, and looks are personal preference.

And he is allowed to ask questions, that is the point of the forum.

I didnt say he could not ask questions, I merely pointed out this question gets asked every other day or so. Also the reason its been dubbed hand cannon is because people like to over react on thing lol.

#8 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

No, it is because the Eteks are loud. There is never a question as to where the person shooting an Etek is, nor if there is an Etek on the field. I played quite a bit at an indoor reball field, and when someone was using an Etek, the people in the pits had to yell to speak to each other. They were louder than the rental Tippmanns. The Eteks are loud, and anyone that thinks that the Etek and Axe are even close in this department is either lying to themselves, or others.

Efficiency is about the same, that I can go with. Smoothness EASILY goes to the Axe, especially if you tune it at all.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#9 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Both of them have they're good points. I had an etek3 with a zick2 kit in it and it still kick like hell compared to the axe I have now. The good points are that the etek has rock solid reliability. That is planets selling point for all there markers. Plus the etek is easier to work on. And the etek4 has a much much better barrel. The only thing I didn't like about the etek then was the sound signature. Plus ever since I got the axe yesterday and put a case of paint through it shot smoothness really started to mean something to me. With that said the only eclipse markers I will buy from this point forward is the ego11 and the geo3.
Now onto the axe. I've only owned it for a day so I can't speak for its reliability but it is used by pros and stands up to they're abuse so that has to say something. It's quieter and much much smoother than the etek can ever be. I can't comment on the barrel because I have the pro le pdd and that comes with the empire freak kit. Maintenance on the bolt system is easier but I don't even know if the reg is user serviceable without voiding the warranty. Some say you can while the mass majority say you can't. But even if you can you need what looks like a pair of snap ring pliers and a three millimeter nut driver. The snap ring pliers have but from what I'm seeing at sears and AutoZone I might have to do a little searching around to find the nutdriver.
My verdict. All in all get the axe. Keep in mins this coming from someone the 2 days ago would of tried to push you towards the etek. I'm liking my axe much more the my dam or even the ego11 I use to own. I hope this helped a little.

Edited by D.A.M.Baller321, 17 February 2013 - 12:37 AM.

My link D.A.M.Baller321 feedback
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#10 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Etek4 pros:Can be completely dissassembled, lighter, easier to get to the bolt,better packaging, has lpr, better feedneck, external gasline IMO, better barrel, and IMO looks better.
Etek4cons:Lights are confusing IMO, Asa stolen from macdev, LOUDER, and not as smooth.
Axe pros: entire bolt assembly easier to get to, quieter, better Asa IMO, all metal construction without spending $100,better detents, better trigger IMO,smoother, easier to tune, and has Kee's customer service
Axe cons: Crappy feedneck, cannot service regulator, fragile inner pieces, not as good of a barrel, cd manual, and eyes are beyond a pain in the butt to get to.
I prefer the axe simply because it's just going to be more fun to play with.
I am a raccoon.

#11 maximumslinky

maximumslinky

Peoples Champ

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

last time i played indoor a kid (who was supposed to go to snake corner) stacked back center with me. i had to make a move fast because i could not hear a damn thing and my ear was actually ringing from how loud that gun is. i personally think the axe looks better and feels better. if it were my purchase to make it would be an axe landslide victory.

Edited by maximumslinky, 18 February 2013 - 11:36 AM.

There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. both of them are right.

#12 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Any more thoughts?

#13 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Any more thoughts?

I think people have given plenty of feedback between the two.

Axe though. They shoot so well. The only downside to that gun is the slightly weird ergonomics.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#14 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Alright! Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Axe (Stormtrooper limited edition, of course). Get a better barrel, maybe a new bolt eventually! Alright! Thanks!

#15 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

the boss bolt makes a GIGANTIC difference in the kick, smoothness, and sound signature.

#16 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

the boss bolt makes a GIGANTIC difference in the kick, smoothness, and sound signature.

Where can you get this?

#17 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

You can get it at bosspaintballproducts.com
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#18 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Ok thank you. Seems like a steal for $30. Why does it come with 3 different springs though?

#19 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ok thank you. Seems like a steal for $30. Why does it come with 3 different springs though?

I think for tuning.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#20 Solowing

Solowing

THESE SCALLOPS ARE RAW!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

The AXE regulator is maintenance free.
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and become awesome.... true story

#21 ppbr2321

ppbr2321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

The Empire Axe is in some ways an upgraded mini, but was the mini all that bad? I've shot the Axe, the Mini, and the Etek 4. The mini is great except for the small size, on the axe, they've made adjustments to the size, bolt removal (made it toolless), and plenty of other stuff. The axe shoots very quiet, and has a great trigger. The etek 4 is a great gun to work with. The planet eclipse customer service is great. The etek is going to be more efficient than an axe, but much louder. I've heard people call them jackhammers. In terms of stock parts, the etek wins, as the barrel and board on it is very good. But to spend an extra $140 for a (very very slightly) inferior gun just for the stock parts would be a bad move. And lastly, the axe ergos, I loved the ergos as I play a lot of speedball and airball. Though it takes time to get used to, the ergos fit your hands comfortably. All in all, I believe the axe wins this battle, but ultimately it is up to you.

Edited by ppbr2321, 05 March 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#22 Silyputy

Silyputy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hold both (shoot if you can) get the one you like better simple. I own the Etek 4 right now love it but i know people who have axes and love them to.

If they talk shit, make them eat it.

#23 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

The AXE regulator is maintenance free.

Nothing is maintenance free, and certainly not the Axe regulator. You cant (without voiding your warranty, plus modifying the reg/uses special tools/techniques) work on the regulator yourself, but that isnt the same as it being maintenance free.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users