• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cpxballer9

cpxballer9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Just wounding what would the differences be between a few different porting styles, I know that porting at the end is most common but what would happen if it was in the middle, in the back, or not even at all. What would be the difference in shot quality or sound.

#2 GTF CORPS

GTF CORPS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I know if there is no porting its gonna be LOUD but that's all I know Haha I've been looking for an autococker barrel with no porting just to try it out
GTF CORPS!!

#3 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

The reason for porting is it allows some of the air behind the ball to escape te barrel before the ball exits. That way when the ball does exit the barrel all the air doesn't rush out behind it causing the ball to have spin

#4 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

There's a reason that barrels are only ported towards the front half of the barrel. The back half (or so) of the barrel needs to be solid in order for the paintball to accelerate to its maximum velocity. If you had porting back there, you'd lose most of the air through the ports before the paintball could come up to speed. This would render your gun immensely inefficient.

In my experience, I've found that barrels with long lines of ports are usually pretty quiet. 32 Degrees used to make a barrel called "Whisper" that had loads of tip porting. CP barrels are also very quiet, but my Lapco Bigshot, which has all the porting located 1'' from the end of the barrel, is very LOUD!
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#5 mr.satire

mr.satire

Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life fixing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Porting's only known effect, is to reduce the sound signature of a shot. What porting does, is allows air to exit the barrel progressively.

The reason a shot is loud is that there is a larger pressure difference between the air behind the ball and the atmosphere, reduce this difference less pressure or a more gradual change in pressure, and the shot is quiet

Thus barrels with a line of porting to let a bit of the air out at a time are quiet and ones without or that only have porting at the tip are loud.

The reason as said above, that porting is not at the back is because you would not be able to accelerate the ball to speed.

As for affecting spin and such on the ball....this is unproven, as far as i know punkworks testing and all other testing i have seen is that barrels have almost no affect on accuracy unless they are extremely damaged.

Edited by mr.satire, 19 February 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#6 MrBk

MrBk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Not a great comparison of ported to unported as one is a shocker and the other two are poppits, but here is a video with an unported barrel

Nassagaweya Assault Unit #88 "The Pianist"

"Rape and Pillage My Friend, Rape and PIillage" -Bush

Sponsors: ANS gear Paintball HQ Ultimate Paintball Virtue

#7 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Just as a note, Disruptive Barrels have been tested to be the quietest aluminum barrels on the market.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#8 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Just as a note, Disruptive Barrels have been tested to be the quietest aluminum barrels on the market.

Source?
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Source?

Barrel Test

#10 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Source?

Barrel Test

I'm sorry but that thread shows no such thing.

#11 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Source?

Barrel Test

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=77862229#post77862229

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#12 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

Source?

Barrel Test

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=77862229#post77862229

I'm sorry but that post shows no such thing.

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Yes it does. Did you not see the video?

#14 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

No, it does not. Let me repost what you said:

In order to make that statement you would have to compare it to all aluminum barrels on the market (and with a valid test). It may have been the quietest one of the ones he tested, if we accept his methodology and standard of measurement, but that's all you can say about it. Your statement was overbroad.

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

No, it does not. Let me repost what you said:

In order to make that statement you would have to compare it to all aluminum barrels on the market (and with a valid test). It may have been the quietest one of the ones he tested, if we accept his methodology and standard of measurement, but that's all you can say about it. Your statement was overbroad.

Ok, well lets see any more tests testing ALL the aluminum barrels out there. These ones tested are the ones that are fabled to be the quietest. Sure, it may have some response bias, but it's a reasonable concept/conclusion based on said samples, because these are the top ones that contend for the quietest.
Now given that it is impossible to test EVERY aluminum barrel out there ever made, we rely on a sample, and since it would be less logically reasonable for an everyday player to buy every single barrel for a test, when it would be nicer to just get only the ones rumored to be very quiet. However, based on this test, we can at LEAST derive an association of barrel to quietness, because you can't conclude a correlation from a sample test proportion.

May I ask, could you name a quieter aluminum barrel?

Edited by Orange Chicken, 23 April 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#16 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

Now given that it is impossible to test EVERY aluminum barrel out there ever made

Sure it's possible. But whether it's possible or not doesn't matter. You just cannot claim the data say something they do not.

#17 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

But it does say something. Did you not see the sound decibel count? It was a given that Disruptive was the quietest barrel out of those selected based on the readings.

Also: I meant every barrel that has been made or is in existence currently. Such as all yours on all your guns, and all mine on all my markers, on 98 Customs on the shelves of Walmart; on the everyone's. If you test ALL of those barrels, then you can make a proper conclusive correlation. But since that is INDEED logically impossible, the user is using a sample, and to narrow down even further, he narrowed it down to the barrels that are rumored to be very quiet.

Edited by Orange Chicken, 23 April 2013 - 02:31 AM.

#18 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

But it does say something. Did you not see the sound decibel count? It was a given that Disruptive was the quietest barrel out of those selected based on the readings.

No it wasn't "a given," it was the findings of that test.

Also: I meant every barrel that has been made or is in existence currently. Such as all yours on all your guns, and all mine on all my markers, on 98 Customs on the shelves of Walmart; on the everyone's. If you test ALL of those barrels, then you can make a proper conclusive correlation. But since that is INDEED logically impossible, the user is using a sample, and to narrow down even further, he narrowed it down to the barrels that are rumored to be very quiet.

Don't be silly. All barrels on the market implicitly means all brands, since individual barrels of the same brand are just copies of the same thing.

But again whether it's possible or not doesn't matter. Whether it's consequential does, and whereas testing of individual barrels of the same brand and specification is inconsequential, testing barrels of different brands and specifications is very consequential.

Edited by drg, 23 April 2013 - 03:25 AM.

#19 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Ok, fair enough. But I doubt this guy will buy every single brand of barrel to determine the quietness. Id like to see punkworks do it though, but until then, this evidence is sufficient enough for me.

#20 Bill_B

Bill_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

Held a disruptive balance barrel at my local store and it looked amazing. More than likely gonna pick up the deathtouch barrel so I can mix and match with shaft 4 backs.

#21 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Are they compatible? I have yet to ask Ryan if they are.

#22 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yes they are according to what Ive heard. DP should make Freak compatible backs, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Like bored for Freak inserts I mean.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 26 May 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#23 BraiNfreeZe

BraiNfreeZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

There's a reason that barrels are only ported towards the front half of the barrel. The back half (or so) of the barrel needs to be solid in order for the paintball to accelerate to its maximum velocity. If you had porting back there, you'd lose most of the air through the ports before the paintball could come up to speed. This would render your gun immensely inefficient.

In my experience, I've found that barrels with long lines of ports are usually pretty quiet. 32 Degrees used to make a barrel called "Whisper" that had loads of tip porting. CP barrels are also very quiet, but my Lapco Bigshot, which has all the porting located 1'' from the end of the barrel, is very LOUD!

I have a Whisper and it's quiet as hell, but it's the ugliest thing I have ever seen!

"Always put a condom on your stiffi incase you shoot in the safety zone."

#24 Strick

Strick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

The shaft 4/ Lapco Fuse/ and Disruptive Deathtouch barrels are interchangable. Here's a pic of the Fuse back with the DP front.

Posted Image
deathtouch by strickA-5, on Flickr

The Conglomerate Paintball Group

#25 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Sexy

#26 Strick

Strick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think so. Posted Image

The Conglomerate Paintball Group

#27 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Porting's only known effect, is to reduce the sound signature of a shot. What porting does, is allows air to exit the barrel progressively.

The reason a shot is loud is that there is a larger pressure difference between the air behind the ball and the atmosphere, reduce this difference less pressure or a more gradual change in pressure, and the shot is quiet

Thus barrels with a line of porting to let a bit of the air out at a time are quiet and ones without or that only have porting at the tip are loud.

The reason as said above, that porting is not at the back is because you would not be able to accelerate the ball to speed.

As for affecting spin and such on the ball....this is unproven, as far as i know punkworks testing and all other testing i have seen is that barrels have almost no affect on accuracy unless they are extremely damaged.

pretty much spot on, but the other factor is noise vs efficiency. bigger, larger and more porting earlier will usually make a barrel less efficient.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users