• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ballinlikeaballz

Ballinlikeaballz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hey I'm a newbie at the sport and I was watching paintball videos on youtube when I saw TECHpb's video were mike was talking about explosive hpa tanks.

My friend said not to do this but Now i believe him so if I do put oil in the silver fill thing in the HPA tank will I get a guranteed explosion? If so when?

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,636 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

It takes more than a speck of oil, but yes your day will take a turn for the worst next time you go to fill it.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yes! If you put oil in the fill nipple already, you probably want to get a new tank regulator, or at least a new fill nipple. Like mike said, petroleum is unstable at 2000psi, and your tank will act like a diesel engine and will explode, possibly killing your and everyone around you.
I am a raccoon.

#4 Ballinlikeaballz

Ballinlikeaballz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Ya I never dropped any oil in my tank but I'm scared to death to play paintball now :(

#5 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Don't be scared. As long as you didn't put oil in it then it's fine. If it worries you that much then get a fill nipple cap.

#6 Phoenix01

Phoenix01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ya I never dropped any oil in my tank but I'm scared to death to play paintball now :(

You don't need to be scared. Just practice safe methods, inspect your gear before using it, pay attention to when your tanks are being filled. Buy a thread protector and fill nipple cover for the regulator on your tank. It is cheap insurance that will go a long ways to ensuring safety. Also if you are cleaning your gear, put your tanks away or at the very least move them away from having any kind of close contact with lube or grease. Buy some baby wipes or disinfecting wipes so you can clean your hands after teching your gun before going to grab your tank for testing. All it takes is just a little forethought before you do something. Work smart, play safe.

#7 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

You don't need to be scared. Just practice safe methods, inspect your gear before using it, pay attention to when your tanks are being filled. Buy a thread protector and fill nipple cover for the regulator on your tank. It is cheap insurance that will go a long ways to ensuring safety. Also if you are cleaning your gear, put your tanks away or at the very least move them away from having any kind of close contact with lube or grease. Buy some baby wipes or disinfecting wipes so you can clean your hands after teching your gun before going to grab your tank for testing. All it takes is just a little forethought before you do something. Work smart, play safe.

Nuff said
I am a raccoon.

#8 TNpaintballer99

TNpaintballer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Easiest thing to prevent getting any type of oil in your fill nipple, is too keep your fill nipple cover on when not airing it up. If your tank doesn't have one them buy one. They would be at most a $1. On top of that it is pretty hard to get oil in fill nipple unintentionally.
\Posted Image

#9 Phoenix01

Phoenix01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

On top of that it is pretty hard to get oil in fill nipple unintentionally.

Ha! You should search this forum, because there are plenty of "OMG! I accidently got grease/oil/lube on my fill nipple. *Panic* What do I do?????"

#10 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Yes! If you put oil in the fill nipple already, you probably want to get a new tank regulator, or at least a new fill nipple. Like mike said, petroleum is unstable at 2000psi, and your tank will act like a diesel engine and will explode, possibly killing your and everyone around you.

ok it's not THAT bad, there's no reason to buy an $80 regulator because you got a drop of oil in it. If you get oil in your fill nipple just remove it and wash it out with a solvent. It might burn people around and cause soeme bad injuries you but killing people is a bit much.

Just be careful and you'll never have an issues, buy a nipple cover if you're worried
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#11 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

ok it's not THAT bad, there's no reason to buy an $80 regulator because you got a drop of oil in it. If you get oil in your fill nipple just remove it and wash it out with a solvent. It might burn people around and cause soeme bad injuries you but killing people is a bit much.

Just be careful and you'll never have an issues, buy a nipple cover if you're worried

i gotta agree with this.
buying a new regulator is unnecessary

#12 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

Unless you deliberately put oil in your tank, there's nothing to be afraid of.
If exploding tanks were common, it would be addressed a helluva lot more than just Mike's video more-or-less saying "don't be an idiot".

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#13 TNpaintballer99

TNpaintballer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

On top of that it is pretty hard to get oil in fill nipple unintentionally.

Ha! You should search this forum, because there are plenty of "OMG! I accidently got grease/oil/lube on my fill nipple. *Panic* What do I do?????"

I've seen plenty of them haha. If you take caution, you shouldn't get any in there. I guess I could see accidently getting grease in the fill nipple after lubing the gun. But if you've played long enough, a light bulb will pop up over head saying that maybe you shouldn't do that.
\Posted Image

#14 mike838

mike838

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Also remember that the "oil" (contains petroleum) that will cause explosions is not the same as silicon oil/grease. Usually there is a misconception that any oil will cause an explosion but *most* silicon oils will not. I say *most* because I am not 100% sure that every silicon lube on the market is true untainted silicon and because every compound has their own specific chemical qualities that determine at what temperature, pressure, etc that combustion will occur. Silicon is much more stable and less reactive than standard oil (ie gold cup oil) which is why it wont cause explosions. (thats why in ninja says its okay to use dow33 or other silicon lubes in their tanks).

in short; ANY LUBE with PETROLEUM in it is BAD for air tanks

BUT its better to play it safe and unless you know what you are doing, dont use any lube on your tank fill nipple or tank reg internals.

You can put oil on the threads of the tank though (where is screws into the gun)

#15 ToolCribGuy72

ToolCribGuy72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

If in the end you are still in doubt, maybe take the tank to a company that Hydrostatic tests compressed air tanks. Most if not all these places will totally disassemble and inspect the regulator or valve on the tank. Maybe just let them know of the suspicion of oil in the fill nipple. Some of these places also fill your tank included in the Hydro test price, so if it didn`t blow up for them then I think you are good. That should be cheaper than a new reg as well.
"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users