• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 HHTuna

HHTuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

i used to play paintball a bit in highschool and a couple of times since and I recently decided I want to get back into it but this time I want to play speedball.. so yeah, I am looking to buy a good speedball gun in the $250-400 price range.. Yes, I know that there are tons of threads exactly like this one but most of the answers are used high end guns or used axe etc. I have done some research on the guns and have narrowed it down to (basically most of the guns in the price range...)
GOG Extcy
Proto Rail 2011
DP G5
Valken Proton
Planet Eclipse Etha
I basically want something that I don't have to worry about not working and one that is decent in speedball. I read goods and bads about all of the ones i mentioned and so far i am liking the Etha and Proton the most. I plan on buying the mask, hopper, and hpa tank around the same time. I want to buy new btw mainly because I don't want to waste money on a gun that doesn't work or needs to be fixed.
So some first hand experience and a little advice on any of these guns would be helpful
Thanks

Edited by HHTuna, 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

If you want reliable, my vote would go for the eXTCy, or Etha.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

The Extcy, hands-down. Best value for an electro on the market, follwed closely by the Axe.

#4 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

I third the extcy. It's a lot of gun for your money, and since its only $250 new, you have more money for a loader, mask, and tank, or more money to use to play. I own one and am very happy with my decision. Reliable, smooth, well made, and easy maintence. Paintball guns aren't rocket biology, but this one is pretty simple.

#5 HHTuna

HHTuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Ok cool, gives me something to think about. I was originally planning on getting an extcy but then I read up on the etha and proton. So the extcy is reliable and has a good price but can is stick with the better guns on the field?
Going to pick up a 68/4500 carbon fiber hpa tank, do the brands matter? Also, looking at a pinokio hopper and a sly profit mask.

#6 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

i say etha because the extcy feels weird to me

#7 gorgeousllama

gorgeousllama

THE LLAMA.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Extcy $250
Pinokio $100
Carbon Fiber 68/45 (used) ~$100
Sly Profit $100

That is a super solid setup... I might go up to the Axe at a used $300 if u have the extra $50...

Axe Pro, Spire, 68/45 Ninja, Virtue Vio

Feedback
+12/0/-0

#8 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ok cool, gives me something to think about. I was originally planning on getting an extcy but then I read up on the etha and proton. So the extcy is reliable and has a good price but can is stick with the better guns on the field?
Going to pick up a 68/4500 carbon fiber hpa tank, do the brands matter? Also, looking at a pinokio hopper and a sly profit mask.

The extcy absolutely does. I'm playing with guys with egos and geos and dm's and the like with mine. I'd play tournaments with mine if those were my thing.

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

The extcy absolutely does. I'm playing with guys with egos and geos and dm's and the like with mine. I'd play tournaments with mine if those were my thing.

I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't. I play competitively with it all the time, it's a great marker.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#10 HHTuna

HHTuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Extcy $250
Pinokio $100
Carbon Fiber 68/45 (used) ~$100
Sly Profit $100

That is a super solid setup... I might go up to the Axe at a used $300 if u have the extra $50...

Thanks, have been reading up on advice from this site actually lol. I am a little surprised that the extcy got so many votes, I for real might get one.
Yeah, im willing to spend up to 400 for a pbgun so I can I just am a little skeptical about used..

#11 GuyGrim

GuyGrim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

My buddy owns and Etha and loves it.. I bought a 2012 Reflex Rail for $499 (a bit higher than your budget) and I love it!

#12 ScaryfatkidGT

ScaryfatkidGT

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Extcy or Etha can't go wrong, then a 18v Fasta or Pinokio, or a Rotor for $50 more and a good tank. There are some tanks for $140 new, personally id get a Ninja 68 gray ghost (cheapest) but pay the extra for the pro reg.

#13 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Extacy for sure,great customer service,tons of upgrades,efficiant for a spool valve,this markers been around since about 2005(Ion),the bugs on this marker have already been worked out by Smart Parts\GoG and aftermarket companies
Kinda like buying a car,never get a newer design untill manufacturers figure out the issues,all markers have their problems
Dont mess with DP guns or Rails,Ive had(have) both,nice shooters when they work,for a new or returning player theyre too fussy
Welcome back to paintball
BTW I've been playing since 1995,I've had about 2 dozen different markers,other than my PTP Micromag probably the best all around gun Ive owned

Edited by Punisher068, 21 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#14 HHTuna

HHTuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Cool, thx for the info! Yeah im definitely getting the extcy and a 68 tank. Im a little confused on the masks, been reading that certains masks fit better for smaller players? I'm 6 ft 160 lbs, would the sly profit be too small?

#15 ckenney12

ckenney12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

do not and i repeat do not get the G5 . they are known to have problems. if you want a reliable gun, reliable company with great costomer service get the Planet Eclipse ETHA. My brother has one and all i hear from his is good things. the ETHA is more in price but SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE EXTCY

#16 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Cool, thx for the info! Yeah im definitely getting the extcy and a 68 tank. Im a little confused on the masks, been reading that certains masks fit better for smaller players? I'm 6 ft 160 lbs, would the sly profit be too small?

The Profiler should fit, but the only way to know would be to find a proshop, and try some masks on.

do not and i repeat do not get the G5 . they are known to have problems.

Links? I've heard nothing bad about the G5 yet, only good reviews.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#17 ckenney12

ckenney12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

i dont know of any links off the top of my head but two guys at my field have the dangerous power g5 and both of them have an air leak. pretty much like every other DP gun that has came out. it is always a different reason when it leaks. it goes through asa orings like crazy says one of the guys at my local field

#18 116clique

116clique

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Saw a guy drop his etha in a creek.. Pick it up, shake it off.. And it still worked perfectly. Solid marker. Plus it comes with some of the best customer service in the world. Can be had for $345 now I believe..
Posted Image

#19 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Im oldschool with a fat head so I use Spectra masks myself.Still use my original I bought new in 95,lense change is a PITA though
Take your time and testfit as many as you can,its the most important piece of gear you'll need

#20 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

if you just need a marker then yea get the etha but if you need more than that then get the extcy and use the left over cash on the other stuff or vice versa

Lulzjustacat.png

#21 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

For a mask, try them out if you can. But if you cant, either go to the field and try some people's on or determine if you have a small or larger head. If you cant, hardly anyone can go wrong with a vforce grill, sly profits, or empire eflex. From there, well, its preference. I prefer the eflex, simply because I like how it looks, how its new, and how well it matches my empire gear.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#22 QuickLime

QuickLime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

do not and i repeat do not get the G5 . they are known to have problems. if you want a reliable gun, reliable company with great costomer service get the Planet Eclipse ETHA. My brother has one and all i hear from his is good things. the ETHA is more in price but SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE EXTCY

I am not saying the G5 is the best gun ever, of even better than another, but I have not heard anyone complain about air leaks and I personally have one that is working fine. After putting maybe 5 cases through it and making sure to lube/clean it has kept it working great, almost no one has them too, so I'm not sure who told you all they have is problems...(I could understand a G4, but....). Also, I will go out on a limb and say the Etha is not as good of a value as the eXTCy is considering how cheap the eXTCy is.

Posted Image

Feedback!1/0/0

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users