24 replies to this topic

#1 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Simon Stevens, chief engineer for KEE is leaving the company in pursuit of his own goals.
Posted on facebook:

To all my friends in Paintball, it is true that I have left KEE. I really appreciate all of the support and people reaching out to see how I am doing. This was my decision, and although it makes me sad after having been with KEE/NPS for nearly 10 years, I am also very excited about the future. I am going to take a break (from the internet too) for to go snow boarding and clear my head, and then I will be back with my nose to the grind stone and doing my best to innovate and keep moving the sport of paintball forwards.

Facebook link here

It's on ProPB as well: Linklinklink

Edited by nighthunter, 19 February 2013 - 11:14 AM.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#2 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

First..... And damn that's unfortunate, best of luck to him going forwards.

First After Mike!

what did I tell about doing that?

"If at first you don't succeed pump, pump again." -me

#3 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,653 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Too bad, he actually made quite an effort in Empire products, with all those videos on things. Still he never posted here for the Contour contest.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#4 Myrkul

Myrkul

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Simon was the best damn thing to happen to paintball for years, It's a shame that he is leaving, but he said he'd be back, so I shall eagerly anticipate his return!
"I only drink the blood of my enemies! oh, and occasionally one of those strawberry Slurpee thingies"

#5 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

the first thing that pops in my head is "non compete"

He's one of the most well known engineers in paintball, who worked at the biggest company in paintball....

I can't imagine him being able to just.. go work for someone else next week inside the paintball industry, competing with KEE/Empire

I've been wrong before, but we'll just have to see. I've known of Simon pre-TechPB, pre-PBN, back when he worked at AGD Europe

Yea, although he has a screen name here at TechPB, he'll NEVER post here under any circumstances. If I can't get Terry Fong of Bob Long to post over here, definitely no way in hell I'll ever get Simon to post over here.

But no worries, we've gotten along just fine without them :-)

#6 seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

wow

#7 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I wonder what this means for kee, losing your chief engineer isn't usually a good thing. Kee has big shoes to fill, it needs to be someone who is very vested in the sport and also has the skill set required. Any mechanical engineer can design these things, they just need to have the mindset to know what paintball needs to move forward and what paintballers want in their products.
I'm really interested to see what happens because of this, might get some new ideas with new blood in Simon's old chair
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#8 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

He's one of the most well known engineers in paintball, who worked at the biggest company in paintball....

I can't imagine him being able to just.. go work for someone else next week inside the paintball industry, competing with KEE/Empire

I've been wrong before, but we'll just have to see. I've known of Simon pre-TechPB, pre-PBN, back when he worked at AGD Europe

Yea, although he has a screen name here at TechPB, he'll NEVER post here under any circumstances. If I can't get Terry Fong of Bob Long to post over here, definitely no way in hell I'll ever get Simon to post over here.

maybe he'll come out with something else under his own banner, considering he wants to "innovate and keep moving the sport of paintball forwards". what better way than doing something on your own not having to worry about what everyone else thinks about your idea. while there is a probability of a non-compete clause we just don't know for sure, that even if there is, we don't know the parameters of the CNC I'm sure florida?(i think thats where KEE is), has some type of restrictions as to what the employer can put in the CNC.

Edited by III Kezia III, 20 February 2013 - 01:02 AM.

Lulzjustacat.png

#9 Richter

Richter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

All he needs to do is setup in a right to work state and his non compete is void: can't stop a person from making a living......

#10 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Maybe a non compete has to do with him leaving. Either way I will await his return and only time will tell as to how KEE handles the situation.

#11 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Man that sucks that he's leaving. Kee losing their top engineer isnt exactly the best thing for them. They have some pretty big shoes to fill. One day man, when im a mechanical engineer...

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#12 incrdbleherk

incrdbleherk

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

Wow, I used to watch his videos all the time. I never would have got my Prophecy back together if it weren't for them. I really hope he stays with paintball, whether with Kee or someone else.

Edit: I just read on the other forum that his Linked In has him working at Simonized on Feb 2013... hopefully his own line perhaps?

Edited by incrdbleherk, 24 February 2013 - 08:50 PM.

Score Is Irrelevant

#13 dannyboy768

dannyboy768

TOMA ABBIATI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

So Mike, what's gonna happen in regards to the contest..now that Simon is gone..

First after Simon?

Edited by dannyboy768, 24 February 2013 - 07:23 PM.

DIRT CHEAP CF Tanks in Hydro!

http://shop.swapmytank.com/

#14 woodsballer414

woodsballer414

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Machine Vapor 2.0?

As in he'll design his own "perfect" peice of gear. At least this happened after empires latest releases. If he had left halfway through their first high end marker would've been shit.
LoNgBalLeR......................................................................................................SPLAT!!!

#15 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

I still don't understand why you would leave a cushy position at empire to "clear your head". There's all sorts of leave you can put in for, and especially so for a person of his position. Plus, Mike is correct. Obviously none of us know what his seperation clauses were, but I would wager that there is a non-compete in there, and it's not like he can just go anywhere any start working on his designs with a new company.

It just seems real fishy to me... you don't just up and leave your primary source of income to take some personal time off for no real reason.

#16 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

So much for the larger Prophecy shells which many players have been expecting for months :(

#17 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,110 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

So much for the larger Prophecy shells which many players have been expecting for months :(

You mean these shells?

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#18 bronc

bronc

ThinAir Sports

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

He does NOT have a non-compete. He worked it out as part of his leaving.

And he's actually starting work on his first new project now under a new company name. I guess when the times right he'll announce all that stuff. :)
Thin Air Sports - 2011 will be our year.

BroncsPaintball.com - speaking my mind since 2000

#19 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

You mean these shells?

As a matter of fact, yes. Apparently I'm behind on the times. :(

#20 DcSalem

DcSalem

I Rule The EGO World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

wonder who's going to have fill in his shoes

Life is hell but so it the society we live in!

I MISS MY EGO8

#21 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

He was doing automotive engineering, for Lotus I believe, back when he was in England. AGD Europe was kind of like a side hustle at the time working on the X-Mag. He didn't get into paintball full time until NPS hired him and brought him to the states. At least that was how I remember it when he was posting regularly on The Tinker's Guild. There was also some ties to Odyssey when they were designing the original Halo.

He'e not going to starve.

#22 SCHULER

SCHULER

paintball isnt just a sport, it a way of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Someone post some links of this stuff.
Feedback>http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210389
Gear bag>http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216345&st=0&p=3195781&fromsearch=1&#entry3195781

#23 PBphilosopher

PBphilosopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

I'm new to paintball, why we wouldn't he post here? This seems like a very popular/well run forum.

Edited by PBphilosopher, 21 March 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#24 PBphilosopher

PBphilosopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

maybe he'll come out with something else under his own banner, considering he wants to "innovate and keep moving the sport of paintball forwards". what better way than doing something on your own not having to worry about what everyone else thinks about your idea. while there is a probability of a non-compete clause we just don't know for sure, that even if there is, we don't know the parameters of the CNC I'm sure florida?(i think thats where KEE is), has some type of restrictions as to what the employer can put in the CNC.

"Non-compete agreements are automatically void as a matter of law in California." This applies even if he signed a non-compete in a state where it is legal. So he can come over here and work. :)

#25 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Because really the nation is where the most people are at and I doubt Simon would like to come on our forums. This is why I joined his forum
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users