28 replies to this topic

#1 Etek3am ftw

Etek3am ftw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

i know its a stupid question but i was just wondering why no one talks about ions. i dont have one but ive never seen a chat about ion. im a newer member but still.

#2 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

People do talk about ions. I have one. Would you like to talk about it?

#3 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Because ions are like Lord Voldemort.

We don't talk about it.

#4 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Ions are pretty old, and pretty low end. That's probably why.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#5 badger nine

badger nine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

From what I understand, Ion's have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird. The company that produced them, Smart Parts, went bankrupt so its no longer made. Another big gripe about the Ion's was that it was a money sink, there were so many upgrades available for it that a fully upped Ion could have easily $150 or more put into it. For the amount of money spent, a superior marker could've been bought.

But...techpb has discussed the Ion before...enjoy!

"In life, fuck whatevery one else says, screw what they think, and do what makes you happy." - Mike

Posted Image

#6 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Technically, the Ion is like the Tippmann 98 of the spool valve markers.

#7 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Ions haven't necessarily gone extinct, they've merely evolved.
Yes, Smart Parts has gone extinct, but the Ion design still exists in the form of the GoG Extcy (basically an Ion XE with a few upgrades.)

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#8 Etek3am ftw

Etek3am ftw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

but why did smart parts make crappy guns at the time. didnt they realize it? and why didnt they improve their markers?

#9 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

It's called Intentional Obsoletion. It's a shady business tactic SP used, but let's please not turn this into an SP hate fest.

#10 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

and why didnt they improve their markers?

But they did though. That's why there's the Ion Xe, Eos, Epiphany, Vibe, etc. The Ion was just the beginning; it's also the only one that gets remembered by lots of people.

#11 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

We talk about extcys so much here, however, and they are the successors to the ion, if that counts. But the ion is old, outdated, and overlooked due to the new guns nowadays. Plus, we dont talk about a lot of things. I see a post about a spyder victor or fenix here as often as you do an ion: nearly never.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#12 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

But the ion is old, outdated, .

The eXTCy, G1, eNVy, and eNMEy all use the Ion bolt, and the Rail uses one similar. Posted Image

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

But the ion is old, outdated, .

The eXTCy, G1, eNVy, and eNMEy all use the Ion bolt, and the Rail uses one similar. Posted Image

No I mean like the ion, as in the ion, is old and outdated by those exact guns. Silly, I love the ion designs, even to the point of being sponsor- nvm.

#14 AceComets

AceComets

Low-Ball Extraordinaire

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

because who wants to rag on dogshit products from a company that doesn't exist in anything but memories and dated paperwork, when we can all rag on new dogshit products :)

it's a win win for everyone :tup:

and because if you search for threads about the Ion, it turns into a shit talking, everyone's-a-businessman, lets hate on the garders thread

and those do tend to get old haha

I will fucking cut you AceComets, I will cut you like....paper with......scissors?

Ace's Feedback Ace's Mod App

#15 Kevin

Kevin

King of low-end

• BST Moderator
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

Its like asking why arent there constantly threads about the Zap ZXS-600E? I mean, its so beautiful and funtional and unique, why not?
Posted Image

I am qmto on youtube, i make funny videos because i love you all.
My Feedback 34/0/0
brasseagletechpblogo.gif

GUNS!!! Buy them please!

#16 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,148 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Because it's a Zap and you're weird for liking it.

#17 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

Marker Quality and Consumer Effectiveness with the product > Company ethics and history

I could honestly care less about the company, if the gun is good, I'll sure as hell use it if I could afford it. The ion system is a damn good system for the price range it caters to, and so I'll use it. My only gripe was the lack of on off asa and clamping feedneck, I'd let the BoB pass since it was $160 then. Did it bother me because of the company? No. Did it bother me because on/off the field it mattered? Yeah, sure.
Again, it bothers me when people are all like: "Oh I'll NE-HEH-EVER buy anything from the Gardner Brothers!" or "Smart Parts is bad for paintball, and GoG is just a name to sneak themselves into paintball. Don't buy GoG products, it's bad for the industry".

I know we have all our grudges, but does winning or in game effectiveness not mean anything to people now? Is it all morals and honor? I understand that Smart Parts wasn't exactly the nicest back then, but on the field, does it really matter? Because competition gives less shits about all of that. Call me materialistic or hard-headed; I'll say I'm practical, and rigidly driven and goal oriented.

/rant

Edited by Orange Chicken, 20 February 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#18 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Marker Quality and Consumer Effectiveness with the product > Company ethics and history

I could honestly care less about the company, if the gun is good, I'll sure as hell use it if I could afford it. The ion system is a damn good system for the price range it caters to, and so I'll use it. My only gripe was the lack of on off asa and clamping feedneck, I'd let the BoB pass since it was $160 then. Did it bother me because of the company? No. Did it bother me because on/off the field it mattered? Yeah, sure.
Again, it bothers me when people are all like: "Oh I'll NE-HEH-EVER buy anything from the Gardner Brothers!" or "Smart Parts is bad for paintball, and GoG is just a name to sneak themselves into paintball. Don't buy GoG products, it's bad for the industry".

I know we have all our grudges, but does winning or in game effectiveness not mean anything to people now? Is it all morals and honor? I understand that Smart Parts wasn't exactly the nicest back then, but on the field, does it really matter? Because competition gives less shits about all of that. Call me materialistic or hard-headed; I'll say I'm practical, and rigidly driven and goal oriented.

/rant

And yet.... Smart Parts sold the Magic Box, which ostensibly did little more than let you violate fps limits. Smart parts said the all-american barrel would impart spin upon a ball leaving the marker because of the way the air would leave the spiral porting (turns out, it comes out straight). So when you have a company that lies to you about its products and charges a bunch of money for those lies, how do you know when you're getting a Shocker (Ion XE? G1? I was trying to come up with a stellar product, but aside from price, they all have the unifying theme of being "upgraderrific") and how do you know when you're getting a magic box? Considering the overall market for marginally effective after-market parts, the paintball community as a whole has very little ability to recognize snake oil when it sees it.

I don't think you can or should separate equipment quality from company ethics and history; if you do, at the very least don't make it an all-or-nothing game of, "The eXTCy is a great marker for the price, so nothing bad the Gardners did matters." It matters, it just may not matter for a very narrow window of time during the sale of the eXTCy.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#19 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Marker Quality and Consumer Effectiveness with the product > Company ethics and historyI could honestly care less about the company, if the gun is good, I'll sure as hell use it if I could afford it. The ion system is a damn good system for the price range it caters to, and so I'll use it. My only gripe was the lack of on off asa and clamping feedneck, I'd let the BoB pass since it was $160 then. Did it bother me because of the company? No. Did it bother me because on/off the field it mattered? Yeah, sure.Again, it bothers me when people are all like: "Oh I'll NE-HEH-EVER buy anything from the Gardner Brothers!" or "Smart Parts is bad for paintball, and GoG is just a name to sneak themselves into paintball. Don't buy GoG products, it's bad for the industry".I know we have all our grudges, but does winning or in game effectiveness not mean anything to people now? Is it all morals and honor? I understand that Smart Parts wasn't exactly the nicest back then, but on the field, does it really matter? Because competition gives less shits about all of that. Call me materialistic or hard-headed; I'll say I'm practical, and rigidly driven and goal oriented./rant

Actually, the Ion XE had an MSRP of $234.95 when it was released. I would know, I bought one. I also had to buy a new feedneck the same day because the original broke and it got busted up removing it because it was red loctited on. And the stock Ion ASA absolutely devoured tank threads, but I digress. The Ion was a decent shooter, but with the missing features it just wasn't quite there. IMO, the eXTCy is what the Ion should have been.

And yet.... Smart Parts sold the Magic Box, which ostensibly did little more than let you violate fps limits. Smart parts said the all-american barrel would impart spin upon a ball leaving the marker because of the way the air would leave the spiral porting (turns out, it comes out straight). So when you have a company that lies to you about its products and charges a bunch of money for those lies, how do you know when you're getting a Shocker (Ion XE? G1? I was trying to come up with a stellar product, but aside from price, they all have the unifying theme of being "upgraderrific") and how do you know when you're getting a magic box? Considering the overall market for marginally effective after-market parts, the paintball community as a whole has very little ability to recognize snake oil when it sees it.I don't think you can or should separate equipment quality from company ethics and history; if you do, at the very least don't make it an all-or-nothing game of, "The eXTCy is a great marker for the price, so nothing bad the Gardners did matters." It matters, it just may not matter for a very narrow window of time during the sale of the eXTCy.

Alright, we get it. Every time someone mentions anything Smart Parts we hear you write a novel about how evil they are. Everyone has heard it at least a million times from all sorts of people. And every time you post we get to read it in your sig. Could you please not go on a rant every time you feel the need to punch a dead horse in the neck?

#20 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Marker Quality and Consumer Effectiveness with the product > Company ethics and historyI could honestly care less about the company, if the gun is good, I'll sure as hell use it if I could afford it. The ion system is a damn good system for the price range it caters to, and so I'll use it. My only gripe was the lack of on off asa and clamping feedneck, I'd let the BoB pass since it was $160 then. Did it bother me because of the company? No. Did it bother me because on/off the field it mattered? Yeah, sure.Again, it bothers me when people are all like: "Oh I'll NE-HEH-EVER buy anything from the Gardner Brothers!" or "Smart Parts is bad for paintball, and GoG is just a name to sneak themselves into paintball. Don't buy GoG products, it's bad for the industry".I know we have all our grudges, but does winning or in game effectiveness not mean anything to people now? Is it all morals and honor? I understand that Smart Parts wasn't exactly the nicest back then, but on the field, does it really matter? Because competition gives less shits about all of that. Call me materialistic or hard-headed; I'll say I'm practical, and rigidly driven and goal oriented./rant

Actually, the Ion XE had an MSRP of $234.95 when it was released. I would know, I bought one. I also had to buy a new feedneck the same day because the original broke and it got busted up removing it because it was red loctited on. And the stock Ion ASA absolutely devoured tank threads, but I digress. The Ion was a decent shooter, but with the missing features it just wasn't quite there. IMO, the eXTCy is what the Ion should have been.

And yet.... Smart Parts sold the Magic Box, which ostensibly did little more than let you violate fps limits. Smart parts said the all-american barrel would impart spin upon a ball leaving the marker because of the way the air would leave the spiral porting (turns out, it comes out straight). So when you have a company that lies to you about its products and charges a bunch of money for those lies, how do you know when you're getting a Shocker (Ion XE? G1? I was trying to come up with a stellar product, but aside from price, they all have the unifying theme of being "upgraderrific") and how do you know when you're getting a magic box? Considering the overall market for marginally effective after-market parts, the paintball community as a whole has very little ability to recognize snake oil when it sees it.I don't think you can or should separate equipment quality from company ethics and history; if you do, at the very least don't make it an all-or-nothing game of, "The eXTCy is a great marker for the price, so nothing bad the Gardners did matters." It matters, it just may not matter for a very narrow window of time during the sale of the eXTCy.

Alright, we get it. Every time someone mentions anything Smart Parts we hear you write a novel about how evil they are. Everyone has heard it at least a million times from all sorts of people. And every time you post we get to read it in your sig. Could you please not go on a rant every time you feel the need to punch a dead horse in the neck?

Sigs change - I think mine's been that for about a week only. I'm hardly the smart parts anti-crusader - I read a completely different point from my personal sig and the message I typed, but point taken if the message is getting lost because I'm perceived as the rage ranter against SP. Next week we can talk about the Proton and the G5.

#21 Jdalty

Jdalty

Call your hit!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Because it's a Zap and you're weird for liking it.

#22 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

I don't think you can or should separate equipment quality from company ethics and history; if you do, at the very least don't make it an all-or-nothing game of, "The eXTCy is a great marker for the price, so nothing bad the Gardners did matters." It matters, it just may not matter for a very narrow window of time during the sale of the eXTCy.

Because a company's history of ethics totally matters when it comes to having a good time while playing paintball. :dodgy:
Posted Image

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#23 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sigs change - I think mine's been that for about a week only. I'm hardly the smart parts anti-crusader - I read a completely different point from my personal sig and the message I typed, but point taken if the message is getting lost because I'm perceived as the rage ranter against SP. Next week we can talk about the Proton and the G5.

Fair enough. See you in a week. :)

#24 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Tape decks what happened to those things know what im saying?

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#25 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

And yet.... Smart Parts sold the Magic Box, which ostensibly did little more than let you violate fps limits. Smart parts said the all-american barrel would impart spin upon a ball leaving the marker because of the way the air would leave the spiral porting (turns out, it comes out straight). So when you have a company that lies to you about its products and charges a bunch of money for those lies, how do you know when you're getting a Shocker (Ion XE? G1? I was trying to come up with a stellar product, but aside from price, they all have the unifying theme of being "upgraderrific") and how do you know when you're getting a magic box? Considering the overall market for marginally effective after-market parts, the paintball community as a whole has very little ability to recognize snake oil when it sees it.

Companies lying in paintball is nothing new, and almost every company currently making markers, and after market products lies.

Every barrel on the market-Will make your marker more accurate
Bob Long-3k shots off of a 68/4500
Dye- The Rotor will feed 50bps
Tippmann- Buy all these fantastic upgrades that are way overpriced and do nothing (and you chastise SP for being "upgraderrific")

See? Lying is everywhere in this industry. Let it go.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 20 February 2013 - 04:29 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#26 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Bob Long-3k shots off of a 68/4500

See? Lying is everywhere in this industry. Let it go.

Actually Bob Claims it off a 70cu, so its entirely accurate. It will get around 2915 from a 68/45.

Posted Image

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#27 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

mostly because every single thing that can ever be said about the ion has been said already at some point, on some internet forum. why? because the gun is super controversial and nearly 10 fucking years old. im not kidding, since 2005 there is not a single thing about the ion that can be said, that was not said by someone at some point. its over. there is nothing more to talk about the ion.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#28 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

mostly because every single thing that can ever be said about the ion has been said already at some point, on some internet forum. why? because the gun is super controversial and nearly 10 fucking years old. im not kidding, since 2005 there is not a single thing about the ion that can be said, that was not said by someone at some point. its over. there is nothing more to talk about the ion.

/thread. Lock this one up, too. Didn't realize we all got dragged into this by some attention trolling.

#29 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

because now people just mech ions for the most part and the enmy is out which is a meched ion already

Lulzjustacat.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users