• 153 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

#2 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Great video as always. Again, putting things in a way that never even crossed my mind. This point of view makes paintball in the olympics seem do-able.

#3 gtcpaintball

gtcpaintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

I liked the video! I agree with you.

Instead of having people say that's too much work, or it'll never happen. We need more people to try to get it bigger. I have been introducing paintball to all of my friends as of late, and I think I am slowly turning the perception of it in my circle. Now multiply that by a million, and we have a good reasonable number of people playing.

In watching events, one thing that needs to be addressed is camera angles. It would be cool to have more overhead view to see where every player is located and what everybody is doing.

Stream videos from players cameras to make it more dynamic and more exciting to watch.

Instead of having a negative attitude, try to get it bigger. It might not be big in your lifetime, but maybe next generation will make it bigger, and you can look back and say "I started this..." Personally, I am trying to get everybody around me into the sport, yes I said sport. I like sharing what I do with other people, and everybody always have fun as long as they don't get hurt.

It might not reach the Olympics anytime soon, but getting it where the professionals don't have to have side jobs just to sustain a all paintball life style would be neat and interesting. If the sport have the very worse player on a team making 100k, it would make the sport overall better. No kid wants to play paintball, when you can make millions playing football, baseball, soccer, hockey, etc.
Visit my website at: www.gtcpaintball.com
Follow me on Twitter: @Gtcgabe12

#4 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

I clicked on this thread thinking it would be some dumb video about how we need to get paintball into the Olympics and for everybody to sign another dumb petition or something.
i actually brought up another tab so that i could post a link to Tygers video on it lol.
In all seriousness i highly doubt that paintball will make any large changes to better the sport.
I mean whenever some new technology comes out the whole "this is ruining paintball" topic comes up. I don't think we could make paintball a suitable olympic sport without major changes to the format, technology and attitude. As soon as somebody brings up the topic of change the whole "this will ruin paintball" thing will come up again and again and nobody will support it.

#5 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

Not going to happen, ever

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#6 CptKaveman

CptKaveman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Olympic stock class pump paintball would be sick!

#7 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,916 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Someone wanna give me a synopsis of the vid?

#8 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

They removed WRESTLING from the Olympics . Paintball has 0 chance of getting in now...

Posted Image

#9 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

To be honest, I couldn't care less.
To me, paintball is, and forever will be, just a hobby I do for fun.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#10 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Focus on the X-Games first then perhaps the Olympics... I dont think drug testing would be a huge issue just give everyone a years notice lol

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#11 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

wow, i love your videos

excellent as usual!
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#12 gtcpaintball

gtcpaintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think it could work. I agree, we have a greater chance to enter the X-games, but that is better than what we have now. We just have to keep getting the sport bigger, and maybe someday make it a worthwhile living. Takes work, but it can be done. Just saying "it'll never happen" is the main reason why things don't change. People are scared of change, they like the way things are now, but don't fully grasp how much better it would be otherwise. Hopefully one day it's that big.

#13 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

You did another great video! Awesome job. I think if you actually got into the tournament scene to see what things were like as a player and a team, you could give us even better ideas of how to make the sport grow.

#14 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Great video - really, a lot to think and talk about!

And I like Gtcpaintball's points about camera angles. Elevated cameras shooting down would be helpful. Also streaming off some helmet cams if it can be pulled off - I'm thinking of split screen views of different angles, like what Gmore70 has done with his son or Mike has done with two cameras going on some of his more recent videos.

I think a lot of us, definitely myself, have been getting stuck in the negative about where paintball is and where it's going. This is an artifact of the forums - I'm far more positive about paintball and the fun it brings when out on the field. I think the videos that Gmore70 has been making are a real gift to TechPB; a lot of times I find he brings a new perspective and good ideas to the issues that paintball and paintball players face.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Xgames should be our first goal. Olympics....meh.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#16 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

I had to think long and hard on that one...I almost made that the goal of the video...instead of the olympics.

But either way, the road to the Xgames for paintball is the same as it is for the Olympics. We would have a ton of work to do to - almost exactly the same things would have to be addressed to get into the Xgames.

Dont get me wrong..in my mind...thats a good thing. Im more interested in the path and working on the things we need to work on - either for the Xgames or for the Olympics.

#17 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I say x-games yes, olympics no. Can you imagine how people from other countries would react to seeing people shooting at each other? What if Afghanistan played Israel? However, having it in the x-games would be cool.
I am a raccoon.

#18 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

when I started playing paintball in 1998, people were pushing for paintball to get into the Olympics

It takes hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a "sport" into the Olympics.

Let's compare Crossfit to Paintball

Right now, Crossfit has millions of dollars in advertising (paintball does not), TONS of mainstream sponsors from Reebok to other companies (paintball does not), and Crossfit is currently on television (paintball is not)

Crossfit has 100,000,000,000,000 times more of a chance of getting into the Olympics than paintball does, and that's being conservative.

To get recognition, you need to be capable of throwing your OWN party. Originally, motocross and dirt bikes weren't in the XGames. But after dirtbike stunters starting packing stadiums during the monster truck bashes, ESPN and the XGames took notice and put them in

We are backwards in this argument, we are trying to get the Olympics and the XGames to bring people to us (paintball). That's NOT how this works. We need to have the crowds built FIRST, then the XGames and the Olympics will take notice.

If we can consistently pack a stadium with 30,000+ people to watch a paintball match, then and ONLY then do we even have a smidgen of a chance for this to happen.

At WORLD CUP, they can barely get 500 people to watch the pros compete. You think the Olympics and the XGames want to watch 50,000 people leave a stadium, just so a couple hundred people can come in and cheer for a paintball team?

The bottom line is this - paintball does not have 1/1,000th of the draw needed to get into the XGames or the Olympics. We never have, we never will, get over it.

We don't have the money, we don't have the recognition, we don't have the attendance, we don't have the fans, we don't have the sponsorship, we don't have the recognition.... out of the 800 things you need to have a CHANCE of getting into the XGames or the Olympics, paintball harely has a half dozen of them.

Play paintball because you enjoy playing it. Who gives a shit if Yosh Rau plays paintball in the Olympics, or Travis Lemanski plays paintball in the XGames. It's not going to "legitimize" you as an athlete by any stretch of the imagination.

#19 gtcpaintball

gtcpaintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Its all for innovation and believing you can improve the sport. You can always have a bigger goal.

#20 Woodsninja

Woodsninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Exactly Mike.... people who have never played any level of basketball, football, baseball, wrestling or rode dirt bikes etc watch and buy tickets to all those events. Who watches paintball? People that play paintball ... and not even that many because most would rather be playing it than watching it.

As with any of the 'big'' sports they're adult driven .... pros are adults, people watching are adults, people paying the bills are adults... but they all have youth leagues & feeder systems, massive amounts of youth that keep the sport growing. Paintball has none of that.... a long ways to go.

#21 gtcpaintball

gtcpaintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Long way but would be with it. Just more media attention.

#22 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Exactly Mike.... people who have never played any level of basketball, football, baseball, wrestling or rode dirt bikes etc watch and buy tickets to all those events. Who watches paintball? People that play paintball ... and not even that many because most would rather be playing it than watching it.

As with any of the 'big'' sports they're adult driven .... pros are adults, people watching are adults, people paying the bills are adults... but they all have youth leagues & feeder systems, massive amounts of youth that keep the sport growing. Paintball has none of that.... a long ways to go.

Start with small moves. The first time I ever played there were only 10 players at the field and maybe 1000 paintballs between all of us. Close to 20 years later I can watch video of Gmore70 or Wolf or Mike play a game on my computer any time I want. I can check out living legends videos or see Dynasty take on Red Legion in 2010.

Cameras are helping, and as they get better so will interest in watching the games. But, we need to still do our own homework:

1. Keep introducing new people to the sport. Get your parents, children, and/or siblings to try it
2. Make it enjoyable for 1st time players.
3. Teach the rising generation how to play with fairness and respect.
4. Make videos, especially if you go to tournaments or scenarios.
5. If you aren't now, push yourself to make it to local big games and events. Show dealers that your field and your area are markets worth investing in.
6. Support your local paintball businesses.
7. Write about what you're doing - submit letters to the editor or write a report for school.
8. Other things, of which I haven't yet thought about.

My goal for this year is to go attend Fulda Gap and try to stay a positive role model at my local fields. Not a goal, but my hope for 2013 is that we'll see continued sales growth from the major companies like in 2012. Small moves - it's going to take a lot of them.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#23 metsfan521

metsfan521

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

more paintball in the olympics talk?!? Posted Image

#24 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

when I started playing paintball in 1998, people were pushing for paintball to get into the Olympics

It takes hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a "sport" into the Olympics.

Let's compare Crossfit to Paintball

Right now, Crossfit has millions of dollars in advertising (paintball does not), TONS of mainstream sponsors from Reebok to other companies (paintball does not), and Crossfit is currently on television (paintball is not)

Crossfit has 100,000,000,000,000 times more of a chance of getting into the Olympics than paintball does, and that's being conservative.

To get recognition, you need to be capable of throwing your OWN party. Originally, motocross and dirt bikes weren't in the XGames. But after dirtbike stunters starting packing stadiums during the monster truck bashes, ESPN and the XGames took notice and put them in

We are backwards in this argument, we are trying to get the Olympics and the XGames to bring people to us (paintball). That's NOT how this works. We need to have the crowds built FIRST, then the XGames and the Olympics will take notice.

If we can consistently pack a stadium with 30,000+ people to watch a paintball match, then and ONLY then do we even have a smidgen of a chance for this to happen.

At WORLD CUP, they can barely get 500 people to watch the pros compete. You think the Olympics and the XGames want to watch 50,000 people leave a stadium, just so a couple hundred people can come in and cheer for a paintball team?

The bottom line is this - paintball does not have 1/1,000th of the draw needed to get into the XGames or the Olympics. We never have, we never will, get over it.

We don't have the money, we don't have the recognition, we don't have the attendance, we don't have the fans, we don't have the sponsorship, we don't have the recognition.... out of the 800 things you need to have a CHANCE of getting into the XGames or the Olympics, paintball harely has a half dozen of them.

Play paintball because you enjoy playing it. Who gives a shit if Yosh Rau plays paintball in the Olympics, or Travis Lemanski plays paintball in the XGames. It's not going to "legitimize" you as an athlete by any stretch of the imagination.

the way to get outside industry support and sponsors though is his methods in the video.

and its important because it grows paintball in a serious way. it gives us legitimacy to the parents of the next generation of players.

did you not watch the video?

Edited by cockerpunk, 21 February 2013 - 09:13 PM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#25 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Do stadiums really get packed for Darts... Or equestrian? I think it's mostly the Olympics that draw the crowed not all the sports themself consider that they have kayaking and that's pretty much unwatchable half the time along with krew...

#26 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

And by Olympics I mean the event not the sports themselves...

#27 Crashkt90

Crashkt90

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Does someone have a link to the batman movie shooting where they blamed paintball. I dont ever remember that.

Reverse Drop Forward Gloss Black Modified Stock Class Phantom

#28 Dakent

Dakent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Xgames should be our first goal. Olympics....meh.

Agreed.

Posted Image
Luxe 2.0 Dye 68/45 Rotor i4 Feedback 4/0/0

Gearbag Sale

#29 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Does someone have a link to the batman movie shooting where they blamed paintball. I dont ever remember that.

A ton of news outlets claimed that he has paintball posters on his walls which he did but it's like saying the unibomber wore glasses so all people wearing glasses are now suspicious...

#30 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I remember going to my first tourny in 07 (Can't remember where), it was amazing so many people!!!! I went to psp in 2011 and there weren't nearly as may as I thought there was gonna be
109.gif

#31 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Gordon I listened to the video, lots of valid points

people have been making this argument for the past 25 years... still won't happen

#32 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Paintball doesn't even fit the olympics. So why the bother making so much fuzz about it? It's a stupid "goal".

Now the Xgames, that's a different story, and I'm all for that!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users