42 replies to this topic

#1 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I was thinking about this today. All sports have some form of hero. A player that makes kids say damn I want to play this when I get older. They may have never have even seen the sport before and this one player will make that sport envelope their life. Pele, Jordon, Gretzky, Babe Ruth and even Tiger Woods were all hero's in the eyes of children and they drew thousands of people to their respective sports. Not really sure where I was going with this but it was just a thought maybe if we supported our pro players more and got people seeing them through posters and online and such and treated them like professionals... maybe paintball would find a place in this crazy world...

God bless us, everyone....

Posted Image

And a funny picture for good measure...

Edited by spqr-king, 22 February 2013 - 10:24 AM.

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#2 Jalen

Jalen

Resident Psychopath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Because the general perception is that paintball isn't necessarily a testament to individual skill- but rather who has the coolest shit.

A ten year old with an Ego 11 will shoot faster than a twenty-five year old with an A5.

It's a different realm entirely when it comes to which man can swing a wooden club the best, or throw a ball the farthest, or kick a ball the most accurately.

Also, paintball's been around for about thirty years, and hasn't really evolved into the scale it is now until a decade ago.

tl;dr we're too young and people don't know or care

Edited by Jalen, 22 February 2013 - 10:29 AM.

I only play paintball so I can tell dirty jokes.

#3 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Because the general perception is that paintball isn't necessarily a testament to individual skill- but rather who has the coolest shit.

A ten year old with an Ego 11 will shoot faster than a twenty-five year old with an A5.

It's a different realm entirely when it comes to which man can swing a wooden club the best, or throw a ball the farthest, or kick a ball the most accurately.

Also, paintball's been around for about thirty years, and hasn't really evolved into the scale it is now until a decade ago.

tl;dr we're too young and people don't know or care

Yes a majority of paintball players are young but at the professional level baseball was in its infancy and still developing its professionals to be in the spotlight. Sure its less about individual skill there are still amazing feats on the paintball field? Maybe not just an individual as well but spotlight a team like Damage did last week with the Rays?

#4 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I don't see a point in calling people hero's just because there good at a sport or recreational activity. You can idolize them if you want though but other than that I would not call them hero's. After all what did they do that changed peoples lives, that a simple sports instructor can't do? or anyone for that matter.

In short, there sportsman/woman and thats all they are. There famous cuz there good at it and thats all it is. kids can be like "thats my fav. sportsman/woman and I want to be as good as them in this sport" but thats not heroism, thats idolizing.

Do we need them? Probably not, but people like them so sponsors need them. Because then the people that like them, will buy the shit they promote.

Hero's? They are the silent people that will run into a burning building without regard of there own life to save that 1 child, the man and woman on the police, fire department, militairy that risk there lifes to save yours, etc. Those are hero's. Not these overpaid pompous windbags we call sportsman.

#5 Kevin871

Kevin871

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

I think Lawrence "TB" Wright should be the superhero

He's the most gender neutral person in paintball, which is great to get women into the sport. See below, he looks like a 60 year old biker lesbian-

Posted Image

And since he lives alone, has a blog that no one reads, and he isn't afraid to show his feelings when he's sad (or fucked up on pain meds)

Posted Image

I vite Lawrence TB Wright, he's got the prettiest bangs in Texas

Posted Image

#6 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I don't see a point in calling people hero's just because there good at a sport or recreational activity. You can idolize them if you want though but other than that I would not call them hero's. After all what did they do that changed peoples lives, that a simple sports instructor can't do? or anyone for that matter.

In short, there sportsman/woman and thats all they are. There famous cuz there good at it and thats all it is. kids can be like "thats my fav. sportsman/woman and I want to be as good as them in this sport" but thats not heroism, thats idolizing.

Do we need them? Probably not, but people like them so sponsors need them. Because then the people that like them, will buy the shit they promote.

Hero's? They are the silent people that will run into a burning building without regard of there own life to save that 1 child, the man and woman on the police, fire department, militairy that risk there lifes to save yours, etc. Those are hero's. Not these overpaid pompous windbags we call sportsman.

Ok I knew someone would take it here but im using the word VERY, VERY liberally just to emphasize the ideal of having an idol. Anyone can be a hero to a child or youth. Your mom, dad, brother, the god damn ice cream man could be your hero... Have they earned it in the eyes of the public? Hell no.... but that doesnt stop someone from changing a persons life for the better which is what a hero really is. Sure we have literal heroes our troops, fireman and police officers who risk their lives for us but then we have our personal heroes who inspire us to do things that we never thought we could do.... Like these fine gentleman...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For people who dont know who that ^ is its Bruce Jenner... google is your friend...

#7 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

As much as some people don't like it, many people look up to Oliver Lang. No he isn't recognizable outside of the sport, but as far as a current idol for newer players, his tends to be the one you hear the most.

#8 eightcoheed

eightcoheed

Amanda Bynes' lover.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

anyone else think of this song after reading this?

Edited by eightcoheed, 22 February 2013 - 01:50 PM.

Proud member of the United States Air Force

#9 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU

... I was going for this but thanks for taking it there...

Posted Image

#10 eightcoheed

eightcoheed

Amanda Bynes' lover.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image

Ill be your hero baby ;)

Proud member of the United States Air Force

#11 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image

Ill be your hero baby ;)

Posted Image

Of course you can buddy Posted Image

#12 MrBk

MrBk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

As much as some people don't like it, many people look up to Oliver Lang. No he isn't recognizable outside of the sport, but as far as a current idol for newer players, his tends to be the one you hear the most.

I was actually going to post that when I first got into the sport I saw speedball and wanted to do it more than woodsball and Oliver Lang was the guy I looked up to. He was the shit when I started, and he was who I wanted to be.

Edited by MrBk, 22 February 2013 - 03:23 PM.

Nassagaweya Assault Unit #88 "The Pianist"

"Rape and Pillage My Friend, Rape and PIillage" -Bush

Sponsors: ANS gear Paintball HQ Ultimate Paintball Virtue

#13 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I was watching Thomas Taylor when I started playing.

#14 mstewart336

mstewart336

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Again, Ollie is who I look to as inspiration in pb.

Attached File  teemo.jpg   26.27KB   11 downloads

#15 dannyboy768

dannyboy768

TOMA ABBIATI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Paintball isn't a spectator sport.

/thread
DIRT CHEAP CF Tanks in Hydro!

http://shop.swapmytank.com/

#16 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

/thread

Thats an opinion... people say golf is horrible to watch but it has a huge following because some people like it some people dont I could watch paintball for HOURS.... obviously its not for you. Though as a sport that is a clear advantage we have that anyone can play.

#17 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yes, Infact Lang is still one of my favourite 3 players of all time Maximus of Joy, Lang, Federov/Thomas Taylor
109.gif

#18 YoungGun32

YoungGun32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

There used to be one, oliver Lang, then his ego got in the way (pun intended). You might be able to consider Thomas Taylor but hes a lose cannon on the field, that's why he's so popular

#19 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

#20 dannyboy768

dannyboy768

TOMA ABBIATI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

/thread

Thats an opinion... people say golf is horrible to watch but it has a huge following because some people like it some people dont I could watch paintball for HOURS.... obviously its not for you. Though as a sport that is a clear advantage we have that anyone can play.

I don't think it's a spectator sport because it's hard to follow, especially for someone who doesn't play. The whole game revolves around tiny balls of paint flying through the air at 300 FPS which are difficult to see on TV. Now if you're watching it in person, there's mesh netting in the way and it's almost impossible to get a whole view of the field.

Edited by dannyboy768, 22 February 2013 - 07:45 PM.

DIRT CHEAP CF Tanks in Hydro!

http://shop.swapmytank.com/

#21 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Oliver Lang used to be mine, but not so much anymore. Ryan Greenspan maybe?

Obviously its Mike.

Edited by Orange Chicken, 22 February 2013 - 07:46 PM.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#22 DcSalem

DcSalem

I Rule The EGO World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Posted Image

Lol he emitted to taken steroids and had his medals taken away

Life is hell but so it the society we live in!

I MISS MY EGO8

#23 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Dude you're like drunk 23 hours out of the day haha.
Yes we do need a hero.
Rather, heroes.
First timers.

Think about it, regular players only pay for admission, air, and occasionally paint if the field allows BYOP for non-renters.
First timers have to pay for admission, air/c02, paintballs (most fields require FPO on rentals), rentals, and pods/pod packs.
First timers then spend all their money on paintball if they like it, putting more revenue into the paintball industry by buying new gear such as Empire Prevails and a Dye Jersey with a Liquid Anno Luxe.
Then they stop being the hero and just become another regular.

#24 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

/thread

I don't think it's a spectator sport because it's hard to follow, especially for someone who doesn't play. The whole game revolves around tiny balls of paint flying through the air at 300 FPS which are difficult to see on TV. Now if you're watching it in person, there's mesh netting in the way and it's almost impossible to get a whole view of the field.

Its no harder to follow then any other sport? I dont know half the technical rules to basketball and I can still watch and follow the basic principals. You get hit with paint your out? Its not difficult sure you dont see the single paintballs but your for sure see impact lol Also sure the netting is a bitch when trying to watch but if we had enough money we could have jumbo trons with live footage within the nets? I just think its just like every other sport its great for some people and some people would just rather play which is also fine.

#25 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

/thread

Its no harder to follow then any other sport? I dont know half the technical rules to basketball and I can still watch and follow the basic principals. You get hit with paint your out? Its not difficult sure you dont see the single paintballs but your for sure see impact lol Also sure the netting is a bitch when trying to watch but if we had enough money we could have jumbo trons with live footage within the nets? I just think its just like every other sport its great for some people and some people would just rather play which is also fine.

I hate watching Basket Ball the first time I saw a game a player waved at the ref and was given a warning. Wtf? lol
Soccer though...........
109.gif

#26 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

/thread

I hate watching Basket Ball the first time I saw a game a player waved at the ref and was given a warning. Wtf? lol
Soccer though...........

....don't you say anything about soccer. It's obviously too cool for you if you hatin'. B)

#27 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

/thread

Soccer though...........

....don't you say anything about soccer. It's obviously too cool for you if you hatin'. B)

I love soccer Posted Image Bayern München FTW!!!
109.gif

#28 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Yosh rau is always who I looked up too.

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#29 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

/thread

Soccer though...........

BLUES!!! CHELSEA FC FTW!!!

#30 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Manchester United.

But back on Topic, it either needs to be someone who plays paintball and is very popular, such as Mike or Wolf, or a Professional Paintball Player who is very active with the public and willing to constantly expand paintball while still representing the essence of our lovely sport.

#31 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

/thread

haha Chelsea? they were alright till they took in Torres now they keep trying to get him to score so they're robbing themselves of every opportunity at a cup.... as for Manchester United......... meh your just lucky they're my grandfather's favorite team lol

Soccer though...........

BLUES!!! CHELSEA FC FTW!!!

109.gif

#32 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Manchester United.

But back on Topic, it either needs to be someone who plays paintball and is very popular, such as Mike or Wolf, or a Professional Paintball Player who is very active with the public and willing to constantly expand paintball while still representing the essence of our lovely sport.

They also need international appeal, a great attitude and our support. Wolf would be a solid pick I think Mike may have to many haters not saying he deserves them but its a fact it seems like everyone likes Wolf while Mikes straight forward attitude "offends" some players and companies.

#33 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

in a sport that's fueled on negativity, this sport DEFINITELY doesn't need a "hero"

The MCB's won't like him because he doesn't use a palmer's pump made in 1993, the pro players won't like him because he is not playing pro, PBN won't like him because he didn't advertise with PBN and is now banned, and scenario players won't like him because he doesn't wear enough camouflage and use a marker that looks like an M-16.

Out of all the hobbies and sports I've played in my entire life, Paintball BY FAR is filled with the most negative people. I've never participated in a hobby, that has more negativity in it than paintball.

I don't blame the industry or the "sport", I blame the players. There is something about paintball that just attracts the most negative, downer, depressed assholes.

I'll also note that out of all the hobbies and sports I've ever participated in, paintball is the only activity that I've ever had something stolen from me. I'm not saying it's never happened in other sports or hobbies, but for me personally, the only people who have ever stolen from me are paintball players. I've had guns, masks, all sorts of things stolen from me.

20+ years of paintball, the best attitude to have is a "whatever, don't care" attitude. Show up, have fun, fuck everything else. It's the attitude I've always had, unless I'm getting attacked, then I lash back

#34 Sin_Ister611

Sin_Ister611

Dude with a gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Paintball has a hero ^^its that guy, it already has many villains, they are all found on pbnation.

In all seriousness you are a hero everytime you help out a new player or get new blood in the sport and show them a great time.

#35 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

And paintball does have hero

Posted Image

Edited by get.lit.up!, 24 February 2013 - 01:43 PM.

gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#36 -ORaNGe-

-ORaNGe-

No Bullshit Kinda Guy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,233 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I like how the Batmike image was done by a guy on my team and the quote in your sig is from a thread on my team's page and either from a guy on my team or just my random Australian friend Aaron, can't remember which lol

#37 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Cdn ninja that guy Cray. And yea I don't know that just stuck on me when I was on Facebook
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#38 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think Mike is:
"Not the hero that Paintball needs, but the hero that Paintball deserves"

#39 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Mikes not a hero? He's mike? Stop sucking up -_-
109.gif

#40 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Well thats what he would be if he were the hero. Still, that quote serves up food for thought.

#41 spqr-king

spqr-king

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

You can wipe that brown off you nose now and take a breath of fresh air lol I like Mike but I think there are just to many haters out there he seems like a great dude but he is not the one. We can change the next generation of paintball players if we dont act like jaded butt holes all the time... and maybe just maybe the better attitudes will reduce the rampant pod thefts...

#42 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

You can wipe that brown off you nose now and take a breath of fresh air lol I like Mike but I think there are just to many haters out there he seems like a great dude but he is not the one. We can change the next generation of paintball players if we dont act like jaded butt holes all the time... and maybe just maybe the better attitudes will reduce the rampant pod thefts...

Looks like I'm out of the list... but what about Greg Hastings, not many Hasting's haters out there that I know of?
109.gif

#43 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hastings is cool, but he really needs to release that damn R7 Motorized pump hopper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users