• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gogpaintballer

gogpaintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I would like to purchase a 9mm handgun for recreation and home defense. I have medium size hands and have been shooting guns for a long time but I have never shot a handgun. I live out in the country and cannot test any guns out. I would like something under 500 dollars and with a laser on it.
I am HOAGIESON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Glock 19. Goes bang every time.
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#3 TheGunTech

TheGunTech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Get a glock that feels comfy. Don't get a laser.
That being said, a 12 gauge shotgun is better for home defense and recreation, not to mention cheaper.

#4 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Unless you limp-wrist it. The plight of many polymer framed guns.

My absolute favorite 9mm is a Sig P226. However, there's no way in hell I'll ever buy one as they cost about twice the price of most other 9mm handguns ($1000+).
I would personally go for a CZ-75b as they're very reliable, accurate, fun, and just feel amazing in the hands (also, they're cool as shit). They're pretty big though, so they're not the best for concealed carry if that's your thing.
I also really enjoy Makarovs. Although they use the 9x18 Makarov round and not the 9x19 Parabellum (Still a 9mm, you didn't specify :P), the ammo is still cheap and relatively easy to find (even in defensive loads like Hornady). Just like pretty much everything the Russians developed, they're also reliable as hell and very easy to shoot. That'll be what I use for my CC once I get out of the dorms.

As for lasers, unless it's a tiny gun meant to be concealed like a Ruger LCP or S&W J-frame, there's no need for a laser as the iron sights will often be superior.

Just remember, you'll be spending more time at the range than you will be defending yourself. So pick a gun you enjoy shooting and can shoot well, not one simply because it can be Call-of-Duty'd up with lights, laser, bayonets, and other nonsense. All that shit on your gun won't matter if you can't hit your target.

Edited by Antonious, 23 February 2013 - 09:57 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

CZ also make good pistols.

Edited by Panda Man, 23 February 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#6 TheGunTech

TheGunTech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

My absolute favorite 9mm is a Sig P226. However, there's no way in hell I'll ever buy one as they cost about twice the price of most other 9mm handguns ($1000+).
I would personally go for a CZ-75b as they're very reliable, accurate, fun, and just feel amazing in the hands (also, they're cool as shit). They're pretty big though, so they're not the best for concealed carry if that's your thing.
I also really enjoy Makarovs. Although they use the 9x18 Makarov round and not the 9x19 Parabellum (Still a 9mm, you didn't specify :P), the ammo is still cheap and relatively easy to find (even in defensive loads like Hornady). Just like pretty much everything the Russians developed, they're also reliable as hell and very easy to shoot.

As for lasers, unless it's a tiny gun meant to be concealed like a Ruger LCP or S&W J-frame, there's no need for a laser as the iron sights will often be superior.

Just remember, you'll be spending more time at the range than you will be defending yourself. So pick a gun you enjoy shooting and can shoot well, not one simply because it can be Call-of-Duty'd up with lights, laser, bayonets, and other nonsense. All that shit on your gun won't matter if you can't hit your target.

If money is no object, a Browning Hi Power. Cz's are nice, and so are german/swiss sigs.

#7 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

M&P 9mm

Goes bang every time (essentially a Glock) looks good and is very comfortable to hold.

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#8 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Personally, I love the Sig Sauer P250 we have in the house. It shoots amazing, feels great, and has great balance when loaded.

#9 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Glock 19 bullet proof design most popular handgun in the world for a reason...

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#10 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Truth to that

My Glock 19 is my all time favorite handgun. You can get 15 round magazines for it, works amazing, no crazy safeties or levers, switches or anything else to impede the use in an emergency

I love the 9mm round, alot of people focus on the power of the single round, but I personally think "follow up" shot is alot more important. 9mm had a very manageable recoil to it

But of course, when getting a handgun, you MUST get a flashlight for it. Either mounted, or something you can carry

I use the Glock Tactical Light and I love it. Lights up an entire room easily, and the "brightest" part of the light is where the round goes if you fire

Posted Image

Also, it's just barely small enough to carry IWB if you want to carry it.

#11 gogpaintballer

gogpaintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Truth to that

My Glock 19 is my all time favorite handgun. You can get 15 round magazines for it, works amazing, no crazy safeties or levers, switches or anything else to impede the use in an emergency

I love the 9mm round, alot of people focus on the power of the single round, but I personally think "follow up" shot is alot more important. 9mm had a very manageable recoil to it

But of course, when getting a handgun, you MUST get a flashlight for it. Either mounted, or something you can carry

I use the Glock Tactical Light and I love it. Lights up an entire room easily, and the "brightest" part of the light is where the round goes if you fire

Posted Image

Also, it's just barely small enough to carry IWB if you want to carry it.

I am really liking this, whats your personal experience with recoil on this gun shooting defense rounds? Have you shot indoors in close quarters?

#12 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

^^^ I've shot everything from +P to ++P, all are still extremely manageable. You get a bigger flash, and it is measurable louder, but the recoil is still VERY manageable

Yes I've shot it without hearing protection, inside of a gun range for practice. I don't do it very often, but I've learned that if you plan on using a firearm for home defense, you better know what it sounds like to shoot a firearm WITHOUT hearing protection. You don't do it very often, but 2 or 3 times is more than enough to understand how loud they are, inside of an enclosed space. And yes, it's so loud it's nauseating.

The thing I love about the glock, is that it's not picky at all. If it's 9mm, it'll feed perfectly. I've fired everything from 60 gram, to 146 gram rounds and the gun has practically never jammed on me. I think I've easily got 4,000+ rounds through it, I've owned it for 10 years and I've shot a TON of ammo through it.

I tend to just shoot for self defense, what the police use. From my understanding, many police departments use either corbons, or hydrashocks, Speer Gold Dot, so that's what I use. The reason why I use those rounds, is because if I have to defend my actions in court, and the prosecutor asks "Well why did you choose the rounds that you chose? Was it because you intended to kill the person?" I can simply reply "I chose to use what my police department uses"

But I'm a 9mm fan. Not that I don't like other rounds, I love my FN Five-seveN, I love .357 sig, I love .45... but 9mm is my favorite round. I feel very confident and safe with. Plus it's a NATO round, so in a true SHTF scenario, you can find 9mm everywhere

#13 gogpaintballer

gogpaintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

^^^ I've shot everything from +P to ++P, all are still extremely manageable. You get a bigger flash, and it is measurable louder, but the recoil is still VERY manageable

Yes I've shot it without hearing protection, inside of a gun range for practice. I don't do it very often, but I've learned that if you plan on using a firearm for home defense, you better know what it sounds like to shoot a firearm WITHOUT hearing protection. You don't do it very often, but 2 or 3 times is more than enough to understand how loud they are, inside of an enclosed space. And yes, it's so loud it's nauseating.

The thing I love about the glock, is that it's not picky at all. If it's 9mm, it'll feed perfectly. I've fired everything from 60 gram, to 146 gram rounds and the gun has practically never jammed on me. I think I've easily got 4,000+ rounds through it, I've owned it for 10 years and I've shot a TON of ammo through it.

I tend to just shoot for self defense, what the police use. From my understanding, many police departments use either corbons, or hydrashocks, Speer Gold Dot, so that's what I use. The reason why I use those rounds, is because if I have to defend my actions in court, and the prosecutor asks "Well why did you choose the rounds that you chose? Was it because you intended to kill the person?" I can simply reply "I chose to use what my police department uses"

But I'm a 9mm fan. Not that I don't like other rounds, I love my FN Five-seveN, I love .357 sig, I love .45... but 9mm is my favorite round. I feel very confident and safe with. Plus it's a NATO round, so in a true SHTF scenario, you can find 9mm everywhere

I have never shot with ear protection but I have never shot indoors either. I like the 9mm because the ammo is cheaper than other pistols so I would be able to shoot and pratcie more often. Thanks for advice everyone!

#14 YoungGun32

YoungGun32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Home defense= tactical shotgun plain and simple.

If your set on a 9mm smith and Wesson m&p won't cost you a fortune and its a solid platform to learn on.

#15 Spider200081

Spider200081

Member-608 Spartans Dubuque, IA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

M&P 9mm

Goes bang every time (essentially a Glock) looks good and is very comfortable to hold.

the Glocks are very solid but my favorite is the S&W M&P series. I have the M&P .22, 9mm and .40 S&W. Love that they all use the same platform. I can go from .22 to .40 S&W and the feel of the pistol and it's sight aquisition just carry right over. Obviously the recoil is different but just feels nice that I can go from one to the other and the feel stays the same. 9mm rounds are inexpensive enough that you can go and shoot 400-500 rounds and not break the bank. There usually are 4 of us that go shooting and it's nothing for us to put 3000+ rounds downrange in one outing.

I don't just shoot for self defense though. I just love to shoot so the more rounds I shoot the happier I get.

#16 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Glocks are ok hand guns in general... they are great if they fit your hands and you have a newer generation. I hav big hands, I csnt use a high grip like I am trained to with a glock because I get slide bite... this is when the back of the slide catches the meat of your hand whn it recoils...

As fsr as I am concerned, fn makes the best hand guns on the market right now. But, as far as vakue gies, I would shoot an xd over a glock anyday

Whatever you do, avoid beretta at all costs... not worth the trouble
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#17 Vhyrus

Vhyrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Most new glocks are above $500 right now so unless you get used it might be out of your price range.

I have personally owned a Springfield XD and loved it. Very reliable and amazingly accurate. You can easily get one for under $500 if you shop around.
If you prefer a gun with a hammer you should look into a Sig SP2022 or a CZ p-07 duty. I own a 2022 and it absolutely cannot be beat for the price. CZs are also very affordable.

A couple others to consider are the ruger SR-9, sig P250, and M&P (last one might be out of your price range).

Despite what people tell you the glock is not the only game out there. Just like paintball guns, you need to go and hold them. Get a feel for the weight and size, dry fire it a few times, see if the controls are comfortable for you. Right now 9mm ammo is very difficult to find and guns are in somewhat short supply but do whatever you can to get a wide range of guns to look at.

Edited by Vhyrus, 10 March 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#18 GeezusPB

GeezusPB

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

XDM 9mm is the absolute best 9mm I have ever shot. I love mine, super easy to field strip and just amazing overall.

#19 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Herr is something to consider that most people overlook... the follow up shot... regardless of caliber, studies have shown that multiple hits on target increase the likelyhood of the attacker dying... studies have also shown, as coected by johns hopkins medicsl trsining hospital, that a victim has an ~80% chance of surviving from a single .45 shot... where as just two 9mm rounds decreases that chance to ~30%

Fn took these studies and developed theur handgun line, ans the SCAR rfles, to have a delayed recoil... this smooths out the shot, decreases the felt recoil of a larger caliber, and allows for a faster follow up shot... meaning, with the proper trainging, yoh will be more accurate with an fnx hand gun then most others due to its operation. Its called delayex blowback... the slide take longer to come out of battery, and has a longer slide travel, then tradaditional hand guns.

If you can, save up and look at the FNS and FNX line... best hand guns in he market, and theg retail right around 600
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#20 Vhyrus

Vhyrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

I have a FNX 40 and a sig sp2022. I have nothing but praise for my FNX, but I cannot justify the extra $200 cost for a beginner shooter on a budget. 9mm barely recoils in a full size pistol. There are plenty of good cheaper pistols.

#21 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Just recently discovered the Canik 55 line of pistols from Turkey (The Turks make some fine guns) and have been hearing nothing but good things about their fit, finish, and function.
BudsGunShop has 2 series: The Shark (a Baby Desert Eagle clone, available in compact or compensated full-size) and the 120 (A CZ75 clone, available with steel or alloy frame). They both function on the CZ75 design making them very rugged and accurate. And the best part? They're less than $450.

Fn took these studies and developed theur handgun line, ans the SCAR rfles, to have a delayed recoil... this smooths out the shot, decreases the felt recoil of a larger caliber, and allows for a faster follow up shot... meaning, with the proper trainging, yoh will be more accurate with an fnx hand gun then most others due to its operation. Its called delayex blowback... the slide take longer to come out of battery, and has a longer slide travel, then tradaditional hand guns.

I thought the FNX had a short-recoil operation, as it was more-or-less an updated Browning Hi-Power. I know it's slide does travel significantly further than similar handguns to decrease recoil, but I don't think it can be considered a delayed blowback like it's fellow FN, the Five-seveN.

Edited by Antonious, 10 March 2013 - 06:18 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#22 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

The FNX/FNP and FNS are all delayed blow backs, like the FsN... it takes longer for the barrel/breach to come out of battery on these guns then others on the msrket. There was a video I came across on youtube that talked about it, and how the reviewer noticed that first time shooters were more accurate with the fnx then they were with a glock, 1911, or xd.... its because fn has slowed down the recoil of their guns to give a smoother more controlable shot... thats why the SCAR17 has the recoil impulse of a 5.56 rifle... yet its a .308.... my FsN has less felt recoil then any .22 mag ive shot, and the rounds have similar stats.

The FNX retails for right around 550 if you dont get the shooters pack with it... well worth it in my book...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#23 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Go to your local range and try out as many 9mm pistols as you can get your hands on. I can list off a thousand good 9mm handguns from reputable brands. It all comes down to your hands and comfort level though.

#24 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

The FNX/FNP and FNS are all delayed blow backs, like the FsN... it takes longer for the barrel/breach to come out of battery on these guns then others on the msrket. There was a video I came across on youtube that talked about it, and how the reviewer noticed that first time shooters were more accurate with the fnx then they were with a glock, 1911, or xd.... its because fn has slowed down the recoil of their guns to give a smoother more controlable shot... thats why the SCAR17 has the recoil impulse of a 5.56 rifle... yet its a .308.... my FsN has less felt recoil then any .22 mag ive shot, and the rounds have similar stats.

The FNX retails for right around 550 if you dont get the shooters pack with it... well worth it in my book...

I like the ideas behind FN pistols for sure. Too bad everyone Ive ever picked up in a shop has a backstrap that wobbles like an 1/8 of an inch.

#25 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I also really enjoy Makarovs. Although they use the 9x18 Makarov round and not the 9x19 Parabellum (Still a 9mm, you didn't specify :P), the ammo is still cheap and relatively easy to find (even in defensive loads like Hornady). Just like pretty much everything the Russians developed, they're also reliable as hell and very easy to shoot. That'll be what I use for my CC once I get out of the dorms.

bang on

pardon the pun.

i'd have a sig no problem if they were a bit cheaper ... excellent guns
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#26 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Sig makes a fine gun, i used to work for them, i love Sigs, but you are buying a name.... a Sig and FNX have almost identical fire controls, only the FN is cheaper and it hols more rounds (last i checked)..

as far as teh back straps on FN's go, the FNP was known to have back strap issues, the FNX has mixed most of those. i've yet to hold an FNX that had a loose back strap...

OP,you really do need to go to a local store or 2 and hold a few different types of hand guns... just because the FN works for me and is comfy, and the glock isnt, doesnt mean you wont like the feel of the glock... performance across the board is decent as far as brands go in the 500-600 dollar range... i woudnt pay any less then 500 for a hand gun these days unless it was used and i had a chance to strip the gun down... with firearms, you tend to get what you pay for (FN being the exception, as they tend to be a couple hundred cheaper)... for example, the HK USP45 and FN FNX 45 are comparable as far as function goes... they we both built for the military combat hand gun trials, only the HK gun was built with input from Special Forces... the HK gun doesnt have as many features, and doesnt hold as many round in the mag as the FN, and its 900 bucks... where as the FN gun retails for 550-650 depending....

so, do some research, watch some review videos on youtube (Military Arms Channel, Hickok45 are the two channels i trust, i would avoid Nutnfancy at all costs), go to a local gun shop when you can and hold a few... and shoot a few if you have the oppertunity too... the best handgun purchase is an informed purchase...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#27 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'd try and get them into your hands to see how they feel to you. Specifically how the trigger feels to you, where it breaks, and how cleanly it breaks in relation to the geometry of your hand.

Personally, I've had the best luck with a Glock19, Sig226's, and a HK USP (match trigger). I just like how the triggers break, and where - I find it ensures that the gun doesnt pull to a particular side when I shoot. *shrug*

I don't really personally own much of anything right now, although we do have have service pistols that absolutely fucking suck.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users