22 replies to this topic

#1 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Back in the olden days when Brass Eagle dominated the fields, woodsball was the only way to play.
Where you were put in a large wooded area with your only cover being the nature and minimal manmade bunkers.
You had to actually strategize, because the fields were so large and there are too many trees to actually just go running in guns a blazing like most games we play now.
You had to actually be tactical.

We've moved away from these type of games because the size of the woodsball field would take up at least a third of the park itself, meaning the park would only have 3-4 fields on site.
That would mean that players would get bored of playing the same field.
Meaning that they needed to divide the woods up into several smaller fields to keep the variety.

So what if we had someone grant us permission to play paintball on the one acre vastness that is his private property?
20 players.
2 teams.
1 acre.

Sounds like fun, no?

#2 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

When I think "woodsball" I think of a field that is large enough that you can't see both camps from the start... So movements of other team players have to be called out otherwise you won't know where they are. One acre is just too small, unless there is seriously thick woods.

My field has brush everywhere, so we only play in the fall, winter and spring, once the leaves pop out, you can play entire games without seeing a single person... I prefer big enough that you need communication to find the other players, and small enough that the games last about 5-8 minutes.

Any bigger than that, and it just takes too long if you are an aggressive player and sitting in the deadbox waiting for the next game.

#3 Vitamin J

Vitamin J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

What makes you think people don't still play like that?
Angel Speed Rasta
SP-1
A-5
Trracer
TPX

#4 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Not in SoCal at least.

#5 Vitamin J

Vitamin J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Lol this thread makes me laugh. It's like someone in Florida complaining that there's no where to snowboard...

Why do you think they call it "woods" ball? Because it's played in the city?
Angel Speed Rasta
SP-1
A-5
Trracer
TPX

#6 CptKaveman

CptKaveman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Umm.. 1 acre is tiny dude... You mean like 5 acres at least... That's a decent sized field.

#7 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Our teams being playing like this since 1991,we've had 4 fields since then and our biggest turnout was 90 people.I live in the Monterey Bay area so there are lots of places that are woodsy,there are quite a few other teams and private groups doing the same.Woodsball will always be the heart of paintball,all you need is a dozen friends and safe place to play

#8 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Not in SoCal at least.

And how much wooded land do you suppose is left in SoCal?

I'm guessing not much.

We have no shortage of woods paintball in Minnesota. Of course, you guys get the benefit of actually getting to play year round.

Geographical trade-offs. If you don't like where you live, find somewhere you like and move.

#9 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Lol this thread makes me laugh. It's like someone in Florida complaining that there's no where to snowboard...

Why do you think they call it "woods" ball? Because it's played in the city?

You aren't really helping.
But yeah anyways the only "real" woods is about 2 hours away, but it might be worth it.

#10 Vitamin J

Vitamin J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I drive that far every weekend I want to play PB. Trust me it takes less time than waiting for the trees to come to you, they take forever.
Angel Speed Rasta
SP-1
A-5
Trracer
TPX

#11 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I guess for a different type of paintball I'll drive that far then.

#12 Cossak11

Cossak11

That guy who blasts Celtic rock when he enters the field.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I lucked out in this department. I live in the woods, we have 29 acres of woods and swamp. Also, this guy owns 30 acres and he set aside like 10 for purely paintball purposes.
We deal in paint friend.

Commander 11th Michigan paintball volunteers AKA The Obsidian Knights

#13 PBphilosopher

PBphilosopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

Back in the olden days when Brass Eagle dominated the fields, woodsball was the only way to play.
Where you were put in a large wooded area with your only cover being the nature and minimal manmade bunkers.
You had to actually strategize, because the fields were so large and there are too many trees to actually just go running in guns a blazing like most games we play now.

We've moved away from these type of games because the size of the woodsball field would take up at least a third of the park itself, meaning the park would only have 3-4 fields on site.
Meaning that they needed to divide the woods up into several smaller fields to keep the variety.

So what if we had someone grant us permission to play paintball on the one acre vastness that is his private property?
20 players.
2 teams.
1 acre.

Sounds like fun, no?

I'm not sure where you are at but hills above Pasadena and San Bernadino probably have some great places to play. National Forests do not expressly ban paintball so it is up to the discretion of the rangers. We have never had a problem in our area. We just stay away from people and respect the land and there has been no issues.

Additionally, if you find a cool piece of private property and the owner doesnt want you to use it, it is usually because he doesnt want to get sued. There is a special law here in California that gives the owner nearly complete immunity for uses like paintball. Here is link:

Cal. Recreational Immunity

#14 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have a field like this 20 minutes away from me. The field has over 100 acres. During big games, we open up all the fields together. One time there was so much playable land, you could walk 40 minutes in a straight line and not see anyone. That was woodsball.

#15 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

20 players.
2 teams.
1 acre.

Sounds like fun, no?

I'm not sure where you are at but hills above Pasadena and San Bernadino probably have some great places to play. National Forests do not expressly ban paintball so it is up to the discretion of the rangers. We have never had a problem in our area. We just stay away from people and respect the land and there has been no issues.

Additionally, if you find a cool piece of private property and the owner doesnt want you to use it, it is usually because he doesnt want to get sued. There is a special law here in California that gives the owner nearly complete immunity for uses like paintball. Here is link:

Cal. Recreational Immunity

Wow this is super helpful thanks for the link
We lost our field of 10+ years because the owner was afraid of getting sued!Wish i had seen this a year ago
Since our team started in 1991 we've never(knocks on wood) had a paintball injury beyond a bloody welt

#16 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

I feel lucky now. People play airball and recball at my most local field, but take a half hour drive up some winding mountain road and you arrive at Los Gatos Pursuit. They don't have power, and the field gets really muddy sometimes, but its a damn fun time. You go there with a pump and some friends and you have a blast hiding behind a pile of wood. The field is probably smaller than an acre, or the playable part of it is at least. Still, you can play 20 on 20 no problem. Its a great time. I highly reccomend trying it, even if you are used to Aggballing or recball. Outlaw-ball is what you are describing, and while I haven't played this in paintball (airsoft) its damn fun.

Edited by asthmaticrhino, 17 April 2013 - 04:45 PM.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#17 swiftblade13

swiftblade13

he that is

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

That sounds like the field I usually play at (Waxhaw, NC) it's about 7 acres of private property and we usually have about 10 to 20 players... awesome field, varied terrain, only weakness is we only play in the winter when the poison ivy is dead :(

Edited by swiftblade13, 21 April 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#18 Baba Fats

Baba Fats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

I feel like it's not just a matter of having more or bigger fields. But it has a lot to do with the kinds of games you play on them.
I had an amazing local field (got closed down because the farmer we were renting it from died, and the land was only in his name, not his wifes. So the IRS repossessed it, and now there's a housing development there). It only had about 15 acres, and only had about 4 wooded fields, and a 1/3 acre open field (no trees, no bunkers, just open. It also had 2 really small speedball fields. All of the wooded fields tended to overlap here and there.
You'd think it would get boring playing the same 4 fields over and over again for 6+ hours. But our refs were always brain storming on new styles and reinventing old games. We played your normal 2 flag games, center flag, and elimination. But we also created games where you had to take your own teams flag and get it to the other teams fort. We played protect the president, hostage, fugitives, all sorts of games.
It never got old.
I love the idea of getting permission to play on private property. That would be great. I wish I lived in an area where people had that much land.
But I just wanted to chime in that you don't have to get bored playing on the same few fields over and over. You just need to boost your imagination and come up with new ways to play the same old games. If no one like how the game played out, you trash that idea and come up with a different one

#19 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I feel lucky now. People play airball and recball at my most local field, but take a half hour drive up some winding mountain road and you arrive at Los Gatos Pursuit. They don't have power, and the field gets really muddy sometimes, but its a damn fun time. You go there with a pump and some friends and you have a blast hiding behind a pile of wood. The field is probably smaller than an acre, or the playable part of it is at least. Still, you can play 20 on 20 no problem. Its a great time. I highly reccomend trying it, even if you are used to Aggballing or recball. Outlaw-ball is what you are describing, and while I haven't played this in paintball (airsoft) its damn fun.

My favorite public woodsball field!I live 15 min from there.Best refs around,owners have run the field for 25 years,always a good crowd too
If youre ever looking for another woodsball field to play at look up Jokers paintball or Marauders paintball(my team) on Facebook
Bear Creek Rd is something else

#20 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

20 players.
2 teams.
1 acre.

Sounds like fun, no?

That sounds like speed ball to me. An acre is only about 210 feet by 210 feet. Our one flag zone that we made is about 60 feet by 150 feet...and we use that as a poor mans speedball field when we don't feel like running around. :lol:

#21 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Lol oops meant 10

#22 Living Legends Fan

Living Legends Fan

The Scenario Paintball King!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

You can always do it 1700s style?

Line Up....
Make Ready...
Take Aim....
FIRE

Discovered LL3... Mastered LL4... Conquered LL5... Achieve Greatness at LL6... Prevailed at LL7...

What Does LL8 Have in Store?

#23 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

I may or may not have lucked out of this. There's so many acres of just...desert to play paintball in.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users