• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I would like to get a new marker as mine is just a behemoth. I have a budget of $400, Already have a 68/4500, and Z2 so no need to tell me I should get a Halo before I look for a gun. I'm wanting to play airball more but my current outdated gun keeps getting the bolt stuck (I Clean it Constantly and now know most of the problems but it takes up most of my day at the field and it is now getting boring to clean it). I've mainley been looking at the Proton, Etha, and the G5 (Havent heard of any leaks from it like the G4's) if you know anymore please give them.
Next time I go to the field and my gun's bolt gets stuck im just going to pull out my sling shot and try to bunker some rentals :D

Thanks for any replies in advance :)

#2 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

small?

have you ever looked at an Axe?

#3 CptKaveman

CptKaveman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I just got a drone and I like it a lot.. ($430)
You could get a used axe for less though.

#4 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

small?

have you ever looked at an Axe?

I tried my friends for a game but didn't like it. Yes it shot great but it didn't feel right at all, Just a slighy bigger mini with smoothed grip...

#5 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

What is your current marker? And, are you okay with used or are you just looking at new?
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#6 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

have you thought about a G5? it's really not "super omg amazing!" but it is small and within your budget.

#7 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

What is your current marker? And, are you okay with used or are you just looking at new?

Near end Bob Long Rapper ( Bought it with used prophecy and new 68/4500 for $400 at local shop)
I would perfer new because when ever i go to craigslist people who have ions say "only shot a case through it" when it has a rust going through the barrel. You just cant trust people...

#8 Sin_Ister611

Sin_Ister611

Dude with a gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

check out the etek 3 lt/am and see if you like them. There pretty bullet proof on reliability and maintaining it is incredibly simple.

#9 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

have you thought about a G5? it's really not "super omg amazing!" but it is small and within your budget.

Yeah, But my shop doesnt carry it because of all the leaks the G4 had so they just dumped the DP guns pretty much. But i want to try it! The bolt is so tiny its almost cute :)

#10 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Near end Bob Long Rapper ( Bought it with used prophecy and new 68/4500 for $400 at local shop)
I would perfer new because when ever i go to craigslist people who have ions say "only shot a case through it" when it has a rust going through the barrel. You just cant trust people...

good man.

But really the Drone, G5 and possibly the 2012 PMR is the only markers that are floating around the $400 range that are new. :P

#11 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

check out the etek 3 lt/am and see if you like them. There pretty bullet proof on reliability and maintaining it is incredibly simple.

I did like the etek 4 which i understand is no different than the etek 3. But the price is where it gets me at 550 new but if i was to get it Used people would say they just opened it and shot a case through it and put it back in storage...

#12 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

good man.

But really the Drone, G5 and possibly the 2012 PMR is the only markers that are floating around the $400 range that are new. :P

I was thinking about selling my Z2 and getting a Proto Reflex with the Rotor for $550 on ANSgear. Do you think that would be a good idea cause im just baffuzeled at this point, and at this price range...

#13 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

what does your field allow as far shooting? PSP, semi, anything goes?

#14 Jonathom Bermudez

Jonathom Bermudez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Read my review on the G5.

You should look around used to. If I would have gone back in time, I personally would have picked up a used Axe for 330 on techpb or trademymarker.com over a new Dangerous Power G5 for 329.

#15 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

what does your field allow as far shooting? PSP, semi, anything goes?

They don't really care as long as you don't have it as Full auto and the bps isnt higher than 15bps.

#16 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

oh god. Go Drone 100%

Set it to 12.5bps PSP and your set. The Trigger on the drone is not that great but if you can shoot psp go Drone.

Make sure to CALL THEM and ask if the Drones they have use the new flashed board or you will need to send it to MacDev to get it flashed for "True" PSP mode.

#17 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

You should look around used to. If I would have gone back in time, I personally would have picked up a used Axe for 330 on techpb or trademymarker.com over a new Dangerous Power G5 for 329.

I like this guy's suggestions.

Also, Don't be afraid of the Mini new at $325. If your field is going to let you use PSP ramping then the hall effect trigger that some don't like on the Mini will be minimized. It will give you better efficiency than most anything else in the price range, but you'd have to hold one first to see if you're comfortable with the "light-n-tight" setup. I personally don't mind it, but some people like a bigger marker in their hands.

#18 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I like this guy's suggestions.

Also, Don't be afraid of the Mini new at $325. If your field is going to let you use PSP ramping then the hall effect trigger that some don't like on the Mini will be minimized. It will give you better efficiency than most anything else in the price range, but you'd have to hold one first to see if you're comfortable with the "light-n-tight" setup. I personally don't mind it, but some people like a bigger marker in their hands.

I don't like the mini's grip just to choppy, i havent shot it so i guess ill try my friends this weekend

#19 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

My Hero: Bobby Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

With the new price-drop in the 2012 alien invasions, you might be able to find one for around $400 used. It is an incredible gun, shoots better than an ego 10, and all of my friends eteks/axes/egos. Its an incredible gun for the price, it is also incredibly low maintenance.

It isnt super small, it is about the size of a normal marker, maybe just a little taller, but its a great marker.

Edited by Filmer_jake, 26 February 2013 - 01:50 PM.

DM12, 2011 Alien Independence, V3 Rotor, Empire 68/4500

#20 Pump Player

Pump Player

Voted techpb's #1 sloth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Lutz fl, blitzkrieg paintball, orbital paintball, central Florida paintball

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I hate the feel of the minis Grips, they feel hollow and weak. I think you would love a proto rail or reflex rail. I use the rail and it excels against the mini in anything but efficiency And board. Also look at the alien invasion, it may be 500 but it beats everything in the sub 500 range. Hope I helped

Edited by Pump Player, 26 February 2013 - 01:48 PM.

2011 proto rail + Pinokio! --- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222130

#21 ScaryfatkidGT

ScaryfatkidGT

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Mini, Drone, Axe and Etha, maybe a 2012 Reflex rail. I'd check those out

#22 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

The Invasion ($499), Drone ($429), Reflex Rail ($450), and Axe ($460) are all great markers. The problem is the limit was $400 and the original poster wants to buy new over used. Zaxion, if you can stretch up to one of these you'll be very happy. They are going to be more comparable to your Rapper than anything else I mention down below.

If $400 is just the hard cap no matter what you do, then your choices are a little more limited (and yet, I'm going to rattle off like 6 markers):

Planet Eclipse Etha ($400) - A LOT of nice features coming from Eclipse in a budget (for them) price. The shot quality is a little bit rough for what looks like a spool (it's actually a poppet-y thing which confuses everyone) and the efficiency is worse than most of the other markers to be mentioned, but it still will give you 6-7 pods, it's got a nice barrel, and an on/off.

Dangerous Power G5 ($330) - I honestly don't know much about the Dangerous Power markers because I've always stayed away from them and don't like the guys at the one local shop that sells them. BUT, I really liked the quality of the review that Jonathom Bermudez wrote in TechPB. With the small macroless foregrip, I'd suggest holding it if you can to see how it feels in the hands.

Invert Mini ($325) - The baby brother and progenitor of the Axe. It's got a hall effect trigger which doesn't feel the most responsive, but can get very fast in ramping modes. It is macroless which has positives and negatives. This will get you somewhere in the 9 pod range and will be fairly smooth for a poppet. Changing to a lurker or boss bolt will make amazingly smooth while still keeping your price under the Etha. Drawbacks are a short barrel and no on/off ASA.

Valken Proton ($325) - This is more or less a private label Mokal Aura. I personally don't think there's a lot of difference in shot quality nor efficiency between this and the GOG eXTCy (or Proto Rail). It is Macroless. I hate to be a broken record about this but you've really got to hold it to see what you think. Personally, I think it has a much better trigger than the eXTCy and is more comfortable to hold, plus I just like the macroless design. I think some particular things that would be attractive to players are the multi-led, two button board, toolless bolt removal, and the low profile on/off ASA.

Proto Rail ($250) - You'll get a very smooth shot and comfortable grip from the Proto Rail, but as you slip under $300 you start to see some serious quality issues that differentiate it from the higher priced markers. It has steel-braided line for the air transfer to the regulator, a short 11" barrel, and no on/off ASA. While it feels very comfortable and has a pretty good trigger for the price point, the efficiency is pretty bad, maybe 5 pods or so? I'd read Crpaliza's Proto Rail v. GOG eXTCy thread for more info on this and the eXTCy.

GOG eXTCy ($250) - Again, you really see a quality difference here from the more expensive markers. The eXTCy also has steel-braided hose, but at least it has a 14" barrel and an on/off ASA. The eXTCy can shoot very fast if you need it, especially with a QEV installed. This is the first marker mentioned that uses non-standard barrel threading, and for however an Ion-thread design might be better than the old cocker design its still not standard and is a reason to waste money on your equipment that can't be recouped with a later model. Again, read Crpaliza's Proto Rail v. GOG eXTCy thread.

Azodin Zenith ($250) - This is an automated sear tripper, stacked tube blow back marker. Now the catch to that is that it's using a balanced poppet valve system to lower operating pressure, sound, and kick. It's going to have slightly better efficiency than the Rail and eXTCy but nowhere near like what the Mini is getting (8 pods-ish?). The benefits are that it has an on/off ASA and macroline as well as a 14" two-piece barrel. The drawback is that you can't adjust the dwell on a sear tripper like this and that generally users in this price range like the smoothness of a spool over the poppet valve, even if it is better than other poppet valves in the range.

Azodin Blitz EVO ($190) - I almost want to just take this out, but it's another possible choice. Think of this as the little brother of the Zenith. The EVO will have a lower profile on/off ASA and a better trigger than the Zenith, but it does not have the balanced cup seal so it will be louder, harsher, and somewhat less efficient. It also has a 12" single piece barrel. Really the main advantage to the Blitz is a newer valve style that trades back some of the efficiency gains even though you do not having a spring on both sides of the balanced style, and price.

I also thought to include the Tippmann X7 Phenom, but I think you really have to be a milsim fan to want to use one of those. It's got an efficient spool valve but they are very bulky and heavy while being at the ($399) limit of your price range. I wouldn't compare it unless you specifically like the milsim aspect.

Edited by unfated33, 26 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#23 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Etha at 394$

#24 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thank you unfated :D I struggled to read all of it :) I am willing to strech, so either Proto Reflex Rail, MacDev Drone or the PE Etha. I am going to have my buddy over this week so I can shoot the Reflex, I don't know anybody who has a drone so ill have to base off of Youtube videos and the look, and finally the etha I enjoy shooting it if it werent for the Intense Vibration from the bolt. So mainly Reflex and Drone. (My friend has a PGA Eagle Reflex with the original packaging and is wanting to sell it for $400, so if i like it enough I might just get that. or i might haggle it down to 350 depending if i find a kink in it when i inspect it.

#25 QuickLime

QuickLime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I have a DP G5 and the feel is great, its small and comfortable, the grips are great, and it shoots especially well for the price. Its nice and quiet, (not sure if that matters to you) and works great. No leaks so far with 4-5 cases through it.

Posted Image

Feedback!1/0/0

#26 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Excty+ barrel kit of choice
I am a raccoon.

#27 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thank you unfated :D I struggled to read all of it :) I am willing to strech, so either Proto Reflex Rail, MacDev Drone or the PE Etha. I am going to have my buddy over this week so I can shoot the Reflex, I don't know anybody who has a drone so ill have to base off of Youtube videos and the look, and finally the etha I enjoy shooting it if it werent for the Intense Vibration from the bolt. So mainly Reflex and Drone. (My friend has a PGA Eagle Reflex with the original packaging and is wanting to sell it for $400, so if i like it enough I might just get that. or i might haggle it down to 350 depending if i find a kink in it when i inspect it.

The vibration only lasts a little while and without the spring and with the insert its even less vibration

#28 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have a DP G5 and the feel is great, its small and comfortable, the grips are great, and it shoots especially well for the price. Its nice and quiet, (not sure if that matters to you) and works great. No leaks so far with 4-5 cases through it.

Well I like quiet, last time while shooting my rapper at sunset my neibors called the police cause they thought they saw muzzle flash and assumed I was hunting Wookies in my back yard with an AR-15. I'm thinking about getting it but I havent seen the trigger (Hate the wide triggers, Prefer skinny with curve :D) Also I havent seen many reviews on it so its kinda iffy... Could you give any cons?

#29 Zaxion

Zaxion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

The vibration only lasts a little while and without the spring and with the insert its even less vibration

Ill go tell my friend to take the spring out and try it, I thought it was a Entery level marker?

#30 ScaryfatkidGT

ScaryfatkidGT

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

The Invasion ($499), Drone ($429), Reflex Rail ($450), and Axe ($460) are all great markers. The problem is the limit was $400 and the original poster wants to buy new over used. Zaxion, if you can stretch up to one of these you'll be very happy. They are going to be more comparable to your Rapper than anything else I mention down below.

No guna quote all that lol

Any way I agree with everything except I wouldn't say the guns under $250 lack quality but features, in some ways the Extcy and PMR are better quality than $300 and up guns but they do lack features

And where are you getting your efficiency numbers and what size tank? A G3/4 which is like the worst efficient thing ever gets like 6 pods off of a 68/4500.

#31 QuickLime

QuickLime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Well I like quiet, last time while shooting my rapper at sunset my neibors called the police cause they thought they saw muzzle flash and assumed I was hunting Wookies in my back yard with an AR-15. I'm thinking about getting it but I havent seen the trigger (Hate the wide triggers, Prefer skinny with curve :D) Also I havent seen many reviews on it so its kinda iffy... Could you give any cons?

Yeah Definitely :)
There is a bit of "Kick" to it, but if you've ever shot a real gun, or just thought about putting some force on it, then you become aware of how picky people can be about "recoil" and the light for the board is a bit dim in bright light. I just use my left hand to cover it from the sun so i can see when it goes on/off easier; without doing so you can tell, but its a bit more difficult and my eyesight isn't the best :P Also the regulator was a b**** to get apart, if you have a strap wrench you should be fine, but other than that no biggie. The trigger feels great too, not sure exactly what you meant by skinny vs wide trigger, but it works excellently especially when compared to other markers around its price point.

Posted Image

Feedback!1/0/0

#32 paintballcrazy89

paintballcrazy89

John R3D C0RN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

buy a used highend. what is the problem with your rapper?
Wise Words from (Lunatic_on_high) lol what can i say when you dont have money and love PB this is where you belong

silver creed F/S/T

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users