24 replies to this topic

#1 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

My Hero: Bobby Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

While scrolling through the BST, I think to myself, "Dang. I wish I knew about these when I first started playing."

Of course we all know how to buy our gear:
1. Good Mask
2. Good Air Tank (I think is second)
3. Good Hopper
4. Gun

In addition to the fact that I did not buy my gear in that order necessarily, there are a few things I wish I did differently.

First off:
I wish I would have actually bought a nice mask first.
I started out with a crappy mask that was big, and fogged up during games. When I got my Avatar (basically a v1 event), everything was so much better. So much more clear. And so much more comfortable.

Second:
I wish I would have bought a carbon fiber air tank right off the bat. Instead, I bought a steelie. Now a steelie was fine, but it was heavy, and did not hold a lot of air. When I got my carbon fiber, things were so much better.

Third:
I wish I would have gotten a good hopper.
This is one I am still working on, I am going to get a rotor soon, my halo b isnt quite cutting it. But at first I had a gravity fed, then an extreme rage, then an invert something or another, then the halo. And I am still not satisfied.

Fourth:
The gun.
I started with a spyder clone called: Misfit by the company Sydnicate. It was cool when I got it! However, it wasn't the best.
Then I got a G1. I loved that gun, there was nothing wrong with it, but then I got into speedball and traded my G1 for an eNVy.
When I got my eNVy, I loved that too, it worked for what I was going for.
But when I look on the BST, I just see so many more guns I could get for the $250 I spent on my G1, that would be so much better for speed ball.

If anyone else has any: 'I wish I did this differently' post it below! Posted Image

DM12, 2011 Alien Independence, V3 Rotor, Empire 68/4500

#2 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I was actually quite happy with my decisions

Started off with one of those cheap 98 kits from Canadian Tire, had a 98C, 20oz Co2 tank, grav hopper and a cheap JT mask
Then I went to my local proshop and bought, a Pure Energy 48/3000 steelie, Dye i4s and a Proto Primo
After that I upgraded to a Pure Energy 50/4500 tank
Then I bought a Dye Rotor
Followed by an 07 Ego

Everything after that has just been preference changes.

#3 Totes Magotes

Totes Magotes

Latress on the menjay.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I wish I would've started off with a cf tank instead of a steelie. I was happy at first when I got my proto slg but it gave me way too many problems now I'm happy with my pm8. Other than that I was happy with my prophecy and my proto mask
Posted Image

#4 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I had to start off with a CO2 tank and an old JT Spectra mask. First gun was a VL Maxis and a Extreme Rage Gravity Fed Hopper. Then I got a BT Delta Elite with Rip Clip, an X7 hopper and a CF Pure Energy 68/4500...Then...I bought to much stuff to count lol.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#5 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Wish I wouldn't have bought so many blowbacks up front, trying to get something "better" or different.

Wish I had bought a better mask long ago.

Wish I hadn't tried to play around with the flatline barrel system.

What I would have done differently:

1. Stuck with my first marker, then got a better mask/HPA up front
2. Gotten an automag. There wasn't anything affordable in the midrange by this time.
3. Stuck with it until the affordable midrange electros came to market.

#6 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

-Buy a Carbon fiber 68/4500 very early in my list.
Seriously, I just got one 6 months ago, yet have been needing one for years.
-High end mask trumps all.
-Quit buying Jerseys.
-Get a good gun
-Important to look good
-Headchecking is super important.
-Pads are needed in Arizona.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#7 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hmmm...

The only thing I really regret was buying a brand new 2004 ICD BKO. Damn thing never worked right. Also, I regret spending money on any drop forwards I've purchased. Oh! And the Evil upgrade kit for my Timmy that I thought I was getting such a good deal for at only $20. Every part in that kit either didn't fit or was a POS. I don't think any of this wisdom is relevant any more :lol:
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#8 dannyboy768

dannyboy768

TOMA ABBIATI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I wish I would've gotten a used Dm6 or Ego 6 instead of a DP G3 back in 2009 >.>
DIRT CHEAP CF Tanks in Hydro!

http://shop.swapmytank.com/

#9 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

I wish I still had pictures of the rediculous drop forwards that we ALL ran back in the early 2000's. Lets make our giant box electros even taller.....great idea.

#10 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I wish I would've gotten a used Dm6 or Ego 6 instead of a DP G3 back in 2009 >.>

Yeah, that was one thing I wish I did, was bought used at first.

#11 GeezusPB

GeezusPB

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

I wish I wouldve known that barrels do not effect accuracy sooner... Wouldve saved me countless hours trying to figure out what the most "accurate" barrel was.

#12 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I wish i would have known that the mods on TechPB will randomly go around and change the titles of threads Posted Image

#13 silvere108

silvere108

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I wish I still had pictures of the rediculous drop forwards that we ALL ran back in the early 2000's. Lets make our giant box electros even taller.....great idea.

Was a different game then, we ran bigger tanks (114, 3k a lot) because fields usually only had 3k tops. By the end of a tourney the banks might be down to 2.2k. This was common into the 04,05s.

Plus field layout, a lot of tall thin bunkers in hyper ball. Playing the pins or a crack pipe, drops were helpful.
Thread Killer!

#14 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I starte off with a 68/45 an etek 2 a velocity and pair of I3s I got it all for say $280 I was a lucky nub

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#15 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

I starte off with a 68/45 an etek 2 a velocity and pair of I3s I got it all for say $280 I was a lucky nub

Dang. You are incredibly lucky. I spent $160 on my Syndicate Misfit alone. It was just a spyder clone :P but I thought it was the most amazing thing at the time hahah

#16 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Haha, I bassicly went through the same thing that you did. Starting of with a 98, 48/3000, shake and shoot hopper and a JT X-Fire. I was very lucky though, a guy on the swedish forums contacted me after he saw me posting on the Equipment advice section. And he let me come out to pratice and try out some other guns. And boy, did that open my eyes up. In retrospect, if it wans't for him, i would probably still be stuck in that milsim hole that new player tent to drag towards.

Mod shens... They are afoot. :P

o8qo.jpg

#17 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Haha, I bassicly went through the same thing that you did. Starting of with a 98, 48/3000, shake and shoot hopper and a JT X-Fire. I was very lucky though, a guy on the swedish forums contacted me after he saw me posting on the Equipment advice section. And he let me come out to pratice and try out some other guns. And boy, did that open my eyes up. In retrospect, if it wans't for him, i would probably still be stuck in that milsim hole that new player tent to drag towards.

Mod shens... They are afoot. :P

Lolz at the mod shens

#18 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

haha, I read up on Techpb and watched Mikes video's when I first started. I was decently informed.

I got into paintball due to a bad / hasty decision of buying a paintball marker, the Tippman Gryphon at that time. I still have it. I slowly upgraded from there, after reading and watching techpb-mike's videos and posts. Replaced the mask that came with the starter package for a more expensive and better paintball mask, the JT Spectra 8. Still have it as well.(using a Sly Profits now though) Then went with knee pads and ellbow pads, used Rotor, bounce vest and a jersey all within like 3 months after.

Purchased the Etek 4 when it came out and recently picked up my first, (but used) air bottle.

Now I am saving up for some paintball pants and a Freak Insert Barrel Kit.

Edited by Syrellaris, 01 March 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#19 Rhino1909

Rhino1909

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

I almost bought a Tippmann and a zenith

#20 thetinman

thetinman

thetinman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

I mean, I didn't buy my first gun: Spyder Xtra (with 12oz CO2 Tank + shake and shoot), But I bought my first $20 Scott mask that has never fogged on me, after about 4 times playing I lost that mask and went and bought a pair of Profilers (I actually found my Scott mask when I got home from buying the Profilers but kept them because I realized how great they were). Next I bought a Viewloader Force, and then I bought a Ninja Steelie. Then I took a break from paintball for a couple years, then this year when I started back up I bought a 2011 Rail. I then bought an Invert Halo Too used for $10. Still need to buy a Carbon Fiber tank. I also got Empire LTD pants and Invert Knee pads for Christmas this year.

Can't say I regret anything except for taking time off of paintball.

#21 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

You mean like this???
Posted Image
Lol @ my uber E-99! I also regret those giant plastic feedneck adapters! That gun shot damn well for an E-spyder, I don't regret buying it at all.

Edited by SilentButDeadly, 01 March 2013 - 10:18 PM.

As seen on: PBreview IOG

#22 pc_baller

pc_baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

i regret trying a good marker now all i can think of is "damn my gun sucks balls i need a new one"

...damn you techpb..damn you to hell :P
+2/-0my feedback

First gain the victory and then make the best use of it---Horatio Nelson

#23 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

I wish I had known that my gun wasn't the problem, it was the shitty paint I put in it, the shitty hopper I had on top and the co2 I out through it.
I got a starter kit with an 09 pilot co2 tank, grab hopper shitty mask and a shitty pack. I used to think the gun was crap, now I put my rotor and how tank on it and it shoots fine. Inspentnso much money on "upgrades" that did nothing.
I wish I wouldn't have spent so much effort trying to find a scope for a vert feed gun.
I wish I hadn't put so much money into an 11 year old intimidator.
I wish I...I wish I had bought good gear and not bought any more lol
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#24 Rhino1909

Rhino1909

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Luckly I stalked this forum a while so I just got an enmey, halo too, and ninja 4500. The only things I might get in the future are a used axe and eigenbolt, and probably overload knee pads when I get my job

#25 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm going to make this simple for anyone starting out on a budget. Buy eclipse, buy used eclipse egos eteks geos if you can find them. Just buy eclipse. Simple reliable and they work great

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users