10 replies to this topic

#1 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

A two-year old child diagnosed with HIV has been completely cured through the use of antiretroviral therapy. Doctors believe this may be an effective cure for all young children diagnosed with HIV from birth, which could effectively destroy the virus (much like polio and small pox) in just a few generations. Read more here: http://www.scienceda...30303172640.htm

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#2 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Well now how long before they cure HIV in adults
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#3 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Well they think the cure has something to do with how the immune system works in young children. In other words, if you're an adult with HIV, you're shit out of luck, for the moment.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#4 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

There will never be a fully working cure. I would bet money on it. Same for a cure for cancer. There's too much money to be had in selling pills for both diseases. Human greed is the biggest disease of all.

Still, it's an interesting development. I watched a story on the news last night about it.

Edited by XGC_Cheevo, 04 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#5 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

There will never be a fully working cure. I would bet money on it. Same for a cure for cancer. There's too much money to be had in selling pills for both diseases. Human greed is the biggest disease of all.

Pretty much. The pharmaceutical companies aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by slowly reducing two of their biggest markets for continuing care. Their business model is based around keeping people sick, and therfore you become a returning customer. If they functionally cure something, it means the market shrinks, and so does their source of income.

I have a few friends who work in some of the most amazing areas of medial science. They're doing real research and development on cancer research, and one of them has flat out told me that they could basically cure cancer using some research that they already have, but that was road blocked into developing further. Honestly, I'm more inclined to beleive one of my oldest and brightest friends who heads a department in a well known university than the big industry money grubbers.

TL;DR: fuck the entire pharmaceutical industry.

#6 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Pretty much. The pharmaceutical companies aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by slowly reducing two of their biggest markets for continuing care. Their business model is based around keeping people sick, and therfore you become a returning customer. If they functionally cure something, it means the market shrinks, and so does their source of income.

I have a few friends who work in some of the most amazing areas of medial science. They're doing real research and development on cancer research, and one of them has flat out told me that they could basically cure cancer using some research that they already have, but that was road blocked into developing further. Honestly, I'm more inclined to beleive one of my oldest and brightest friends who heads a department in a well known university than the big industry money grubbers.

TL;DR: fuck the entire pharmaceutical industry.

Exactly. I know it sounds like conspiracy theory crap, but there's actually some truth behind it. The same thing can be said for gasoline and the current car market. Greed>Progress.

#7 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Speaking of pharmaceutical companies suppressing a cure I heard awhile ago there was a cure for cancer. I dont know if it holds any truth or is even effective.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#8 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Well they think the cure has something to do with how the immune system works in young children. In other words, if you're an adult with HIV, you're shit out of luck, for the moment.

Unless you're Magic Johnson.

#9 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Unless you're Magic Johnson.

He's not cured, it just hasn't turned into AIDS yet.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#10 Butters

Butters

Skeet Skeet Retreat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

If you didn't get HIV from birth or a blood transfusion, then it's your fault!
Im Not Mean, I Just Say What Others Think...
Kittys Definition of Butters Hate: "Its like Obama with Crabs going to a KKK Meeting"
GEARBAG SALE!!!!

#11 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

If you didn't get HIV from birth or a blood transfusion, then it's your fault!

HE LIVES
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users