• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 divindirt1458

divindirt1458

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

okay guys im sitting on ansgear with money in my bank account about to make the biggest purchase of my paintball career. im talking a full setup tank, loader, pants ,jearsey ,pack, mask. i've got all of those picked out but i cannot decide for the life of me to go with the valken proton or the Mini. i've heard rave reviews on both but i've also heard some horror stories. i need a gun in the sub $400 range that will last me.I have been out of the game for 4 years due to financial issues . i have enough to get a good setup and play often but my main concern would be getting a gun that would crap out on me . any info you guys have would be much appriciated thanks.
~Diver

#2 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm not sure about the Valken Proton, I've never shot one or even seen one around my area. I have a mini and I can say for certain that the mini will not crap out on you. If you plan on using PSP most of the time and you are okay with the size of the mini, it is a good choice. If you are comfortable buying used, a used Axe or other used high end gun may also work well for you. What exactly are you looking for in a gun besides reliability, because reliability is something most guns have nowadays.

TLDR out of the two, mini. A used gun may be a better choice. What do you want in a gun?

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 04 March 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#3 divindirt1458

divindirt1458

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

i appriciate the quick reply. and personal input. all the youtube reviews i've seen have been onesided. to answer your question. i'm looking for a small efficient light gun (im 5,7) i have relatively large hands., . I will be plying semi alot but psp will take up most of my play time. as far as used guns go i have had VERY bad experiences so i'd rather buy something new with warranty. the proton looks nice but the mini has been around longer. would i like to find a used axe, etek marq or something like that, sure but the used aspect scares the shit out of me . any extra info anyone can give me to ease my worries would be awesome. also get into detail about internals, boards, etc. been in the game since 2001 just need a veterans perspective so i dont buy a gun, get on the field and be like " shit, i should have gotten a(insert marker name)" lol

~diver

#4 HHTuna

HHTuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm in a similar situation.. I was looking at the Proton but a lot of people on here recommended the GOG Extcy. I've decided to pass on the Extcy and am now trying to decide on whether getting the proton or paying an extra $100 for the Etha.. Can't decide lol.

#5 kornerkutz

kornerkutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

i personally love the proton, in fact i think its so good it even is better than the etha, i traded my etha for the proton and I've played multiple games with the mini, go for the proton, u won't be disappointed i can assure that

#6 willy704

willy704

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

For a 300 dollar gun, look on the TechPB, PBNation, or M Carter Brown B/S/T. You can get a used high end like a DM, Marq, Vice, or Ego for the same price as a Mini or a Proton.
MARQ OWNERS ARE A SUPERIOR RACE

Posted Image

#7 jakeC

jakeC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

I was able to find a new Proton on Ebay for $250. I don't know if there are more out there or not. So far, I really like the gun.
While I have not fired a mini, some things I appreciate about the proton:
Easy to oil gun (just put some oil in the air intake)
Trigger is super easy to walk
Super easy to change modes on the go (I often use select fire)
14" stock barrel is actually not bad

#8 BRUTE

BRUTE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

I like Valken.... Soft goods. I dont have too much faith in the Proton. Ive heard it leaks when you start shooting fast and it freezes easily. I use Valken Pants but wont use their marker until it proves itself. So id get the Mini. It has proven it is a good marker and they really never break if you get the newer verison.
#63 on the roster #1 in your heart!!

#9 BRUTE

BRUTE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

In fact my field uses Minis for rental guns and ive been playing there for 4 years and he has the same exact ones. plus his sons use them in NPPL once a year so they have seen alot of use. so those things just dont break.
#63 on the roster #1 in your heart!!

#10 HHTuna

HHTuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

I like Valken.... Soft goods. I dont have too much faith in the Proton. Ive heard it leaks when you start shooting fast and it freezes easily. I use Valken Pants but wont use their marker until it proves itself. So id get the Mini. It has proven it is a good marker and they really never break if you get the newer verison.

From what I've read the proton freezes and leaks after you fire 1000 shots consecutively on full auto or whatever. Does it freeze and leak while playing normally? Also is it better buying from a pro shop at a field instead of over the Internet? My bad for hijacking the thread :P

#11 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

For a 300 dollar gun, look on the TechPB, PBNation, or M Carter Brown B/S/T. You can get a used high end like a DM, Marq, Vice, or Ego for the same price as a Mini or a Proton.

L2Read, he said he doesnt want used.

Lulzjustacat.png

#12 Cj R

Cj R

TechPB's Grazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

If you want a small marker you've got the Mini or a G5. Of your two choices, Mini. However, if you're going to be playing a lot of semi, might want to buy a CP or Violent Products trigger for it. Also, an Empire On/Off ASA will save you thread trouble down the road.
http://www.ansgear.c...h=mini triggers

http://www.ansgear.c...ffasadblack.htm

Feedback http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=219021 2/0/0
The best customer service is the one you don't have to call in the first place.

#13 pinoballer916

pinoballer916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

okay guys im sitting on ansgear with money in my bank account about to make the biggest purchase of my paintball career. im talking a full setup tank, loader, pants ,jearsey ,pack, mask. i've got all of those picked out but i cannot decide for the life of me to go with the valken proton or the Mini. i've heard rave reviews on both but i've also heard some horror stories. i need a gun in the sub $400 range that will last me.I have been out of the game for 4 years due to financial issues . i have enough to get a good setup and play often but my main concern would be getting a gun that would crap out on me . any info you guys have would be much appriciated thanks.
~Diver

Get the proton..i have one..its a solid reliable marker..had it for 4 months and i play every saturday for 6 hours..never chops..easiest to maintain..dont have to worry about internals..just 3-4 drops of gun oil down asa shoot a couple times and inside will be lubed ..bolt it very nice..one piece..tooless.

the complaints on it freezing..never happen to me..1000 shots back to back...is a very unlikley situation

leaking happen to me once when i first got it..but took it to my local pro shop..put some sealant and fixed..havent had problem since

recommended upgrades 14 inch barrel 685 bore and thats it

smooth.low kick.very quiet,fast,on the fly mode switching..tooless bolt,on off asa(which mini doesnt have)..better argonomics

1400 shots off a 68 4500..up to par with most high end guns

overall its better than the mini and has plenty more features

my setup

Valken Proton (gloss Black)with a CP classic 1 piece barrel 14in 685 bore (dustblack) n hater barrel band(str8killas)_Halo With HK army Epic speedfeed_Ninja 68/4500 Grey Ghost with black ninja/exalt tank grip_All Black Vforce Grillz with dualpane mirror lense

http://www.youtube.com/pinoballer916

#14 Duck ON Quack

Duck ON Quack

Save a rock, Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Between the two, the proton is a better choice. It is full sized for your big hands and the trigger isnt half bad.

Although, expect a small air leak from the breech after continual use. If you are planning to play big tourneys or scenarios, (especially if using psp or nxl), i would look elsewhere. There are many claims that say there is a leak from the breech after coninual use.

Out of those two, the Proton... But look what you are comparing it to. Nothing special about either of those markers. I have owned and shot both.

Try to go used. if your stuck on buying new, get the eXTCY. Best gun under $350 IMO

there was this one time, when i cared what you thought.

oh... wait. No there wasn't.

#15 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Between the two, the proton is a better choice. It is full sized for your big hands and the trigger isnt half bad.

Although, expect a small air leak from the breech after continual use. If you are planning to play big tourneys or scenarios, (especially if using psp or nxl), i would look elsewhere. There are many claims that say there is a leak from the breech after coninual use.

Out of those two, the Proton... But look what you are comparing it to. Nothing special about either of those markers. I have owned and shot both.

Try to go used. if your stuck on buying new, get the eXTCY. Best gun under $350 IMO

Having used both quite a bit, I'd take a Mini over an Extcy if on ramp.  On semi auto (where I spend 95% of my play time), its a toss up for me.  I think I'd start looking elsewhere (coughDPG5cough) unless the Mini and Extcy were my only choices.

I've no experience with the Proton and will withhold judgement.  It looks nice though.

All that said, this is an old thread.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#16 Duck ON Quack

Duck ON Quack

Save a rock, Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Having used both quite a bit, I'd take a Mini over an Extcy if on ramp.  On semi auto (where I spend 95% of my play time), its a toss up for me.  I think I'd start looking elsewhere (coughDPG5cough) unless the Mini and Extcy were my only choices.

I've no experience with the Proton and will withhold judgement.  It looks nice though.

All that said, this is an old thread.

The Mini is by far one of the worst shooting  guns i have ever shot (that isnt a STBB). Not to mention the terrible times i have had trying to keep the damn thing working.

The DPG5 is a 5 steps BACKWARDS from the extcy. Here is why:

The G3 is a much more quality marker for the price you will be paying for it when compared to other G series markers, as well as other markers in it price and end range.

Reason being for this is because Amazone ended up buying out Dangerous Power shortly after the G3 was produced. The orignal Dangerous Power guys made the Fusion 7 & 8, the Threshold & Rev-i, and the G3 & G3 Spec-R. Amazone made the G4, G5, E1, and Fusion X. Amazone produced Dangerous Power markers have many corners cut when put into production. They are made of much poorer quality aluminum and the electronics in them are also garbage. For example. On the G4, many of the eye covers end up snapping in half when tightened a little too much. This is because of the poorer quality materials used to make them as well as very poorly thought out tension points. The original owners of Dangerous Power knew what they were doing and had the customer in mind above all else. Whereas Amazone simply wants your money and tries to cut as many corners as it can to ensure they get the most out of your money, instead of you getting the most out of your money.

The G5 is made out of the same poorer quality aluminum. Moreover if you were to purchase an G5, you would really need to pray every night and before every game in hopes that the G5 bolt will not start rubbing/gouging out the breech. This has been a problem on more than one occassion and have seen it on a few forums. The bolt begins to rub the bottom of the breech and the metal starts be chipped away by the bolt because it is not properly seated. SO far there really hasn't been a fix for this problem. While the G-series markers and the G5 are very simplistic in design, the G3 is, overall, the best designed out of the bunch. It is made to take a beating and keep going. Moreover, the G5's internals are nearly the same, BUT a key factor is that Amazone decided to put a lip inside the chamber which has made TechT have to go to the drawing boards. They've gone so far as to say there'sd a possibility of them not even making a bolt engine for the G5... Very depressing.

Stay away from new DP markers. As well as the Mini if you ask me. The Proton is the better of the 2 so-so guns.

Good luck my friend. I understand it's your money, but dont make a bad choice on a marker... You'll regret it.

there was this one time, when i cared what you thought.

oh... wait. No there wasn't.

#17 spoolienerd

spoolienerd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Keep checking to see if they have any sales. The empire axe is $460 but might be ~$400 on sale. The macdev drone dx has been looking pretty good ever since updated the board for $430

#18 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Would you be willing to buy used?
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#19 nightmareable6

nightmareable6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

If u can buy used go with an axe it's awesome

#20 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

If you want reliability get a used axe or etha I've had my etha for a year and haven't had a problem. It's easy maintenance it has a good trigger it's not the smoothest shooter but it's bearable it's also not very quiet but it's not awful.

But between your choices I'd say mini because
I dont know much about the proton and have never held or shot one

Edited by pb28188, 23 July 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#21 TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

DP doesn't always leak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

G5.

Buy one of these if you want a cheap but nice electro!!!
DP E1!!!
TBC_logo.jpg

#22 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

You could probably find a marq or vice for like $350 in decent condition
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#23 Spartan040

Spartan040

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

If you're going to insist on a brand new gun, go with the Proton. It's reliable, quiet, really freaking accurate (with the right barrel), light, and feels good in the hands. The Mini doesn't even compare IMO. I don't own one yet but I got to use one for about 5 hours of play on my b-day.

#24 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Definetly a G5, eXTCy, or if you get a mini get one with an on/off and maybe a foregrip extender. mini's are upgrade platforms to me

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#25 Ultimatefinn

Ultimatefinn

Eric Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

If you're going to insist on a brand new gun, go with the Proton. It's reliable, quiet, really freaking accurate (with the right barrel), light, and feels good in the hands. The Mini doesn't even compare IMO. I don't own one yet but I got to use one for about 5 hours of play on my b-day.

I think I puked in my mouth when you said it was accurate
This is exactly what marketing guns has come down too. a dick waving contest. You can say all the stuff you want but until you whip it out wave it around and prove it to the world everyone will doubt you. -bigx

#26 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

How about you just.... go away... You dont have enough experience to say its reliable, spools are quiet, so are mini's, guns are more or less equal accuracy wise, light and comfortable I'll agree. The mini does compare. 

#27 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

5 hors of play is not enough to judge a marker. Please don't say that the proton is an amazing marker because in my opinion it's a big fat shit. I'm exaggerating... It's not that bad, I just don't think any marker under $500 new is all that great. No offense but your talking about the proton like its a luxe 2.0

Edited by Pvlacrosse14, 26 July 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#28 TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

DP doesn't always leak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

5 hors of play is not enough to judge a marker. Please don't say that the proton is an amazing marker because in my opinion it's a big fat shit. I'm exaggerating... It's not that bad, I just don't think any marker under $500 new is all that great. No offense but your talking about the proton like its a luxe 2.0
^^Thiys^^

DP E1!!!
TBC_logo.jpg

#29 NICKMISIU

NICKMISIU

Smartass of forever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

If you can fork it out, get an axe for $450, if not I would recommend getting it used for $300. If not, I would check out the go extcy as it is an amazing little gat. It is about $250 new and IMO beats any NEW marker in the sub $400 range.(sorry tippmann crossover) So get that, get a few cases of paint with the remaining money and... PLAY!!!

If you are set on those two choices, I would go mini, and upgrade it as you go, with a boss/lurker bolt and a new trigger, unless you like the stock one.

Also, I would check out the tippmann crossover. I personally hated it, it just felt and shot bad, IMO, but if you like it, I guess that would be a better option than the mini/proton. 

Another option would be an etha. I personally do not like it, but it is one of the best new gats in the sub $400 range.

So, in order what I would choose:

- Axe (new/used)

- Gog Extcy

- Etha

- Mini or crossover (if you like it)

- Proton

Edited by NICKMISIU, 27 July 2013 - 06:34 PM.

Doesn't matter what gun you have, how old you are, what paint you shoot, who your up against, how bad of a day you had... All that matters is that your playing paintball now.

#30 TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

DP doesn't always leak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

If you can fork it out, get an axe for $450, if not I would recommend getting it used for $300. If not, I would check out the go extcy as it is an amazing little gat. It is about $250 new and IMO beats any NEW marker in the sub $400 range.(sorry tippmann crossover) So get that, get a few cases of paint with the remaining money and... PLAY!!!
If you are set on those two choices, I would go mini, and upgrade it as you go, with a boss/lurker bolt and a new trigger, unless you like the stock one.
Also, I would check out the tippmann crossover. I personally hated it, it just felt and shot bad, IMO, but if you like it, I guess that would be a better option than the mini/proton. 
Another option would be an etha. I personally do not like it, but it is one of the best new gats in the sub $400 range.
- Axe (new/used)
- Gog Extcy
- Etha
- Proton

eXTCy or the PMR

DP E1!!!
TBC_logo.jpg

#31 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

- Axe (new/used)
- Gog Extcy
- Etha
- Proton

eXTCy or the PMR

They dont make the PMR anymore

#32 Dev.

Dev.

Totally a sophomore member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Oh really? http://www.ansgear.c..._Gun_s/2427.htm

PonyBounceSig.gif

#33 awesompants

awesompants

My pants are awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

This thread is almost five moths old, I'm pretty sure he's bought a marker by now lol.

TechPB Feedback 2/0/0 MCB Feedback 1/0/0 PBN Feedback 1/0/0
Buy My Cocker Pump! Sexilicious Tri-Fade Dragon FST

University of Michigan, Go Wolverines

#34 Forrest99

Forrest99

Impulsive buyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

You could probably find a marq or vice for like $350 in decent condition

I second this look for a used high end rather than a low end

Any one with a B2k pds board?

#35 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Technically they arent true PMRs, but that's what ANS calls them. Unless everyone else who talks about these is wrong and you and ansgear are the only people that know anything about these

#36 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

those are PMR's.. Proto Matrix Rails.

what are you referring to, the PM, Proto Matrix series? because they're completely different. 

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#37 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm referring to the 2011 rails that dev. posted a link to. I've seen people post numerous times on MCB, the nation, and here that they arent true PMR's, and ANS is the only distributor that still calls them that

#38 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

yes, they're just called the Proto rail. still the same thing pretty much.

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#39 DavidPaul

DavidPaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

save up 100 dollars more, and get an axe, if your really going to choose get the mini, but youll end up wanting to upgrade to the axe any way so you might ass well get one now..

#40 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

save up 100 dollars more, and get an axe, if your really going to choose get the mini, but youll end up wanting to upgrade to the axe any way so you might ass well get one now..

I concur. He might ASS well. Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users