59 replies to this topic

#1 Zombie Afroshot

Zombie Afroshot

Vroom vroom.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

So, I recently got a new computer, and it's running Windows 8 Pro on it.

Upon tinkering with things here and there (long-time computer nerd) I've realized something, Microsoft went full retard on Windows 8.

Basically, they made an OS that's made for nothing but tablets, touchscreen monitors, and idiots who don't know how to use computers.

It's not even a computer anymore, it's a damn mobile OS with a desktop.

Why don't they just design a fucking mobile OS like Windows Phone 7/8 and leave Windows for PCs alone!? What the fuck! This is total shit fuck!

That's that.

I'm going back to Windows 7.
Posted Image
Feedback4/0/0

#2 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

Stick with Windows 8, unless you are running into compatibility issues. If you dont have a touch screen, then just run it in desktop mode, and you basically have Windows 7.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#3 Zombie Afroshot

Zombie Afroshot

Vroom vroom.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

Upon some tinkering, I've made it manageable. I still miss Windows 7 though.
Posted Image
Feedback4/0/0

#4 Rancor

Rancor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks windows 8 is a butchered OS designed to be as insperational as an echasketch.
The body can heal
The soul can mend
But there's only so far
One's mind can bend

#5 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

I actually like it. On my desktops I can have the Windows 7 feel, and on my touch laptops I have something that functions well. (seriously, have you tried Windows 7 with touch? If you think Windows 8 with a mouse is bad...)

Microsoft was actually pretty smart with having the "two in one" kind of thing going on. They should, however, have given the option when you install to pick which environment you want from the get go, instead of everyone needing to switch away from the new design. But it is basically just Windows 7, but with an optional touch interface.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#6 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

So what's bad about it? The start menu is now full screen? I mean seriously is it that big of a deal? If you dont like it just stay in desktop mode. They added other stuff that doesnt have to do with the GUI, so underneath it's an upgrade from Windows 7, not just a face change.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#7 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Don't like the metro system? Then don't bloody use it!
Just run it in desktop mode and your problem is solved, you now have a faster version of WIndows 7.

So what's bad about it? The start menu is now full screen? I mean seriously is it that big of a deal? If you dont like it just stay in desktop mode. They added other stuff that doesnt have to do with the GUI, so underneath it's an upgrade from Windows 7, not just a face change.

When stuff changes people go apeshit about it, it's a known thing. ;)

Edited by Nobben #44, 05 March 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#8 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

it was clearly designed as total platform intigrator.

the simple fact is in 10 years, computers as we know it will largely have merged into a single device, or a couple of devices, gone will be desktops, laptops, cellphones, tablets of varying sizes, and it will be replaced with a single, or maybe 2 smaller devices. much like the PC revolution put a computer in every home and made everything obsolete the mobile revolution will make stationary and permanent computers rare.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#9 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Although I think you are correct for the general user, cockerpunk, I dont think we will see a move away from desktops any time soon for actual gaming. The gaming hardware is always going to need the room, and touch interfaces simply dont translate over as well as mouse and keyboard.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#10 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Although I think you are correct for the general user, cockerpunk, I dont think we will see a move away from desktops any time soon for actual gaming. The gaming hardware is always going to need the room, and touch interfaces simply dont translate over as well as mouse and keyboard.

yet ....
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#11 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

yet ....

Bullshit. Touch is impossible to play anything more than Angry Birds type games and you know it.

I love you.

#12 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

yet ....

Bullshit. Touch is impossible to play anything more than Angry Birds type games and you know it.

His point still stands, what is now doesn't speak at all on what's to come.

#13 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

yet ....

I will be thoroughly surprised, but then again impossible things have happened...

I love you.

#14 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

yet ....

I will be thoroughly surprised, but then again impossible things have happened...

Exactly.

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

God damn it am I the only person who actually likes and embraces Windows 8? I like it, and found it to be super user friendly and easy to navigate. I don't even have the touchscreen setting on for my laptop and still find it awesome.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#16 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,932 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

Windows 8 sucks, I hated every second I had to use it. It took me two months before I could wipe my hard drive and install Windows 7. I'm so glad I finally have 7, because 8 is pure junk and I despise it. Microsoft went "Hey, we have this new tablet OS, it's totally cool." "We also need a new desktop OS too." "No we don't, we'll just tell people to install the tablet OS on their desktop, they'll never know the difference."

It also doesn't help that it's too new and Steam doesn't work well on 8, my printer doesn't work on 8, and lots of other stuff doesn't work on 8. When I buy a desktop OS, I want a desktop OS, I don't want a tablet/desktop OS.

#17 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

... TK, I am going to show you a doll. Can you point to the place that Windows 8 touched you? Did it make you feel dirty?
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#18 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

I must be lucky then, I have had 0 driver issues. Everything runs smoothly. And I use Steam daily for several hours with no hickups. Not saying you didnt have problems, but I havent had any.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#19 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

My parents have a Win8 laptop, it sucks.

#20 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm the kind of person that still misses Windows XP a bit, so I'm not changing over any time soon. The "Its a tablet/touchscreen interface that we sort of made work on a desktop PC too, sort of" inst selling me. Played with it at Best Buy for a few minutes on a laptop with a touchscreen, and I'm not interested, especially when I have a copy of Windows 7 just sitting here waiting for me to eventually build myself a new PC, when I stop being so poor.

Edited by TacticlTwinkie, 06 March 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#21 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Windows 8 sucks, I hated every second I had to use it. It took me two months before I could wipe my hard drive and install Windows 7. I'm so glad I finally have 7, because 8 is pure junk and I despise it. Microsoft went "Hey, we have this new tablet OS, it's totally cool." "We also need a new desktop OS too." "No we don't, we'll just tell people to install the tablet OS on their desktop, they'll never know the difference."

It also doesn't help that it's too new and Steam doesn't work well on 8, my printer doesn't work on 8, and lots of other stuff doesn't work on 8. When I buy a desktop OS, I want a desktop OS, I don't want a tablet/desktop OS.

I've had Windows 8 for quite a while now. Everything, and I mean everything that worked on Windows 7 works in Win8. Games, programs and steam, all work perfectly.
Actually, more stuff is working as I have less compatabillity issues.

I must be lucky then, I have had 0 driver issues. Everything runs smoothly. And I use Steam daily for several hours with no hickups. Not saying you didnt have problems, but I havent had any.

Mee too really.

Edited by Nobben #44, 06 March 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#22 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Also, for the people that dont like the full screen start menu, you can just get an app that changes it back to the classic style. I am not a fan of the full screen start menu either. Desktop mode with the start menu app, and you are good to go.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#23 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

yet ....

yet ....

Posted Image

#24 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Touch wont provide enough keys, positive feedback, or, frankly, comfortable positions. On top of that, touch requires you to block your view with your hands as you operate the controls. Touch will never be for actual gamers. It is for casual games such as Angry Birds and stuff, or games specifically built around it, which dont require any sort of micromanagement or advanced controls.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#25 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Touch wont provide enough keys, positive feedback, or, frankly, comfortable positions. On top of that, touch requires you to block your view with your hands as you operate the controls. Touch will never be for actual gamers. It is for casual games such as Angry Birds and stuff, or games specifically built around it, which dont require any sort of micromanagement or advanced controls.

false

just wait .... just wait ... the only reason keyboard and mouse are the current preferred input devices is because of 30 years of figuring out how to make then work, and 30 years of gamers who have grown up with them. they are mere stopgap controls compared to true intuitive motion/touch systems.

#26 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Coming from a person that uses touch for all of his computers other than his home desktop (my Transformer, my Zenbook, my Vaio, as well as my work computer) I can tell you that it isnt us not being used to them. Where are you going to put 30 hotkeys on a touchscreen? Not to mention a virtual keyboard on top of that. And like I said, it takes up viewing area not only with the activation spots, but also with your hands being in the way. Those impulse/eye movement detectors ("mind readers") will catch up to general/hardcore gamers WAY before touch. Touch either needs to be on a different surface than what you are viewing (effectively removing the point, since you could just stick to mouse and keyboard) or it is a massive liability.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#27 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

You both got a point there. But honestly, I'd have to go with Adam on that one.

Touch is a little bit bad for gaming becuase of it's very nature, you have to touch the screen you are looking at.

#28 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Coming from a person that uses touch for all of his computers other than his home desktop (my Transformer, my Zenbook, my Vaio, as well as my work computer) I can tell you that it isnt us not being used to them. Where are you going to put 30 hotkeys on a touchscreen? Not to mention a virtual keyboard on top of that. And like I said, it takes up viewing area not only with the activation spots, but also with your hands being in the way. Those impulse/eye movement detectors ("mind readers") will catch up to general/hardcore gamers WAY before touch. Touch either needs to be on a different surface than what you are viewing (effectively removing the point, since you could just stick to mouse and keyboard) or it is a massive liability.

i said touch, not touchscreen ...

#29 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

I've had Windows 8 for quite a while now. Everything, and I mean everything that worked on Windows 7 works in Win8. Games, programs and steam, all work perfectly.

When I had Windows 8, which I did from halfway through December to about last week, Steam would work, but the games wouldn't. And my video card wouldn't work, and my printer wouldn't work, and there wasn't a start menu, and I hated the live tiles. Now that I have windows 7, my games work great on Steam, my printer prints, I have my start menu back, and I'm all happy again.

#30 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

http://www.razerzone...zer-edge-pro/#4
Razer made a touch screen gaming tablet but even they know that the idea of touch screen games on pc is stupid so they attached peripherals to it...

Posted Image

#31 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

If I am understanding this correctly, you are thinking more of like a virtual keyboard and mouse type thing on your desk? Although it does sound like an interesting proposition, it would still would be less preferred to more tactile accessories better suited to the most important tasks.

Unless I am understanding you wrong, in which case blargh.

I love you.

#32 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

If I am understanding this correctly, you are thinking more of like a virtual keyboard and mouse type thing on your desk? Although it does sound like an interesting proposition, it would still would be less preferred to more tactile accessories better suited to the most important tasks.

yeah you are not really using your creative juices, still trapped in the mouse/keyboard world. think of what touch and motion could allow you to do .....

#33 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

fuck tablet software

tablets are consumption devices. They "consume" what it already on the internet

If you want to "Create" things on the internet, or create ANYTHING, tablet software is dogshit

tablet software sucks

#34 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

yeah you are not really using your creative juices, still trapped in the mouse/keyboard world. think of what touch and motion could allow you to do .....

Easy boys. This is TechPB not PBN no need to stir up a flame war.

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#35 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

fuck tablet software

tablets are consumption devices. They "consume" what it already on the internet

If you want to "Create" things on the internet, or create ANYTHING, tablet software is dogshit

tablet software sucks

Posted Image

#36 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

Touch allows gestures and stuff, but they wont be as accurate or fast as what we currently use. Sure, with a secondary touch surface, you could program tons of small movements, but you cant execute them as fast as you could with a keyboard. The hand and arm will also fatigue faster with the larger movements. Think of it as typing out numbers with the numbers above the letters on your keyboard, versus the keypad. You can get good, and quick with the normal keyboard ones, but you will never outdo the keypad because less movement is involved.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#37 dsk

dsk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Everyone bookmark this, in 10 years we will return and see who was right B)

Shit on your mother-in-law.

#38 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Windows 8 was design to integrate Microsoft devices. Microsoft needed something because they died in tablet and mobile phones. Microsoft store was doing nothing. Apple became the number 1 Fortune 500 for a reason.

#39 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Windows 8 is exactly what I was hoping for. I am a big fan. I currently have it installed on my home computer after using it on my work computer for months.

Plus it means I can get an atom based "tablet" and basically have a full notebook once I buy a keyboard attachment. All for the price of an iPad. Or, more appropriately, I can tell my MOM to get an Atom based tablet so she doesn't have to learn anything new and/or confusing.

Posted Image

#40 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Easy boys. This is TechPB not PBN no need to stir up a flame war.

This is TechPB yes and that seems like a normal TechPB discussion.

When I had Windows 8, which I did from halfway through December to about last week, Steam would work, but the games wouldn't. And my video card wouldn't work, and my printer wouldn't work, and there wasn't a start menu, and I hated the live tiles. Now that I have windows 7, my games work great on Steam, my printer prints, I have my start menu back, and I'm all happy again.

Everything has been working for me since November last year. And I play games, a lot, and use several video/photo editing programs and livestreaming programs all day long.

Never had an issue that Windows 7 didn't have.

Edited by Nobben #44, 07 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#41 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

I think tablets suck. I've been saying it for a while now.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#42 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

tablets are great, but not for any real computing. I like using mine for multimedia, like playing movies and music, and causal web browsing, and keeping children happy with angry birds.

#43 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

tablets are great, but not for any real computing. I like using mine for multimedia, like playing movies and music, and causal web browsing, and keeping children happy with angry birds.

I prefer my laptop for all of those things. Except Angry Birds which I can just use my phone for.

I love you.

#44 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I prefer my laptop for all of those things. Except Angry Birds which I can just use my phone for.

exactly. the tablet is just a bigger and bulkier cell phone.... that does'nt make calls.

#45 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

I enjoy my tablet for when I'm dropping a deuce and reading a book. Makes life easier then reading on a bitch ass phone screen, or getting sweaty nuts and looking like a masturbates anonymous member with my laptop in the John.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#46 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

I use my tablets for travel, and I think that they are perfect for that. Long battery life, easy to get around with, dont need to sit them on your lap, etc. Perfect for taking the bus. I also love them for snapping pictures at school. Bunch of shit on the board, and no time to write down? Pull it out, snap a picture, read it on the way somewhere else. Forgot your book at home? Take some quick pictures of the pages you need from the person next to you, and you are good to go. Technically you can do both of these on a phone as well, but the difference is that the readability due to the larger screen makes them MUCH better for actual usage, unless you plan to transfer the pictures to a laptop, and then use it. Also, many places will require you to turn off your phone, but not a tablet.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#47 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

^ point taken, never thought about it like that. Maybe there is a use after all.

#48 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Tablets have their place, I use my ipad almost exclusively for browsing the Internet. Any real work is done on my pc.
I like Windows 8, I've always tended to embrace new tech. The issue is that people can't stick with old software forever, eventually the old software will be incompatible and you will have to update. XP is now 4 generations old and people still worship it, it's unsafe and incompatible now but people still think its better than anything new. It's like people who think their mech auto cockers are better than today's "space guns". Tech advances and people are afraid of new things.

Personally I am very happy with windows 8, I got it right after it was released. These big corporations almost never put out a product that is completely and totally bad. Vista sucked but it did work and it did bring a lot of new features to surface, namely a revamped kernel. Without vista 7 and 8 never would have even existed.

And There will always be that one guy running windows 2k...
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#49 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I must seriously be one of the only people that didnt have major issues with Vista. I got Vista Eternity a year after Vista was launched, and had zero problems until about a year and a half ago when I couldnt upgrade to SP2, and finally just installed Windows 7.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#50 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

^ I had literally every issue with vista ever.
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users