25 replies to this topic

#1 mustangs

mustangs

"Everyone has a plan, until they get hit in the face"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

So I own a 2012 demon with 2013 internals, probably put about 3-4 cases in it so far within 4 months. Last time I went I was talking to a guy and he was talking to me about trying speedball. I pretty much said "I would never step on a speedball field", but only because it seems too intimidating and I rather shoot the paint that you can go through in one game. I like recball/woodsball better anyways because I can help new players, I like using the environment rather than the bunkers, and the games last longer. So that the guy ended up saying, "so let me get this straight, you bought a demon but you'll never get on a speedball field? You know you could of bought a pmr, mini, etek etc and you would have been fine."

What he said is what I've generally been thinking about lately.. Technically, he was right about that. It's what I could have done, but I wanted a smooth shooting gun spool that was efficient as well. So I bought a used demon, put 2013 internals in it and spent $935 on the whole thing. Now I love the gun! It's crazy how smooth this gun shoots. When I shot someone's geo 2.1 I felt the vibration in the gun which I didn't expect. Only problem is is that the gun occasionally leaks which I haven't fully understood why since it ends up sealing out of nowhere. Last time I went I barely was able to play since the leak almost didn't stop. I kind of hate how I spent so much on a gun and I have to worry if its going to leak or not when I wake up. I only go on average about 4-6 times a year but I try to go once a month. I end up not because of work or money issues. Also to add on I've been seeing on the forums how some SEXY guns, specifically vices, are going for less than $500. I've never shot a poppet before, but next time I go I'm going to try to shoot one.

So basically you can see I've been thinking a lot about this lol. Did I make the right choice getting the demon or should I have gone with something else? It's possible I might end up liking pump more once I play pump and sell my demon so a high end gun isn't sitting around without being used when I could use the money. Which with summer coming up and trying to rent a house for a week on the beach, I might actually do that if I can't get the money for my friend.

#2 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

You don't need a race track to drive a Ferrari. Use whatever damn gun you want wherever you want. I don't think you should regret your purchase.

#3 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

If you enjoy using the Demon then its money well spent.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#4 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,821 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

In a sense, he's both right and wrong. If you don't play alot, it can be somewhat silly to invest into a high end gun as its not going to get used to its full poential, and its just generally going to depreciate over time. On the other side, it's not as if anyone can truly fault you for liking your gun, and simply purchasing something that in almost every aspect is better than those other guns you listed. If it works for you, I'd keep it.

#5 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

I only go on average about 4-6 times a year but I try to go once a month. I end up not because of work or money issues.

These sentences seem important to me. You want to play once a month, but you're only going 4-6 times per year. If you're not playing as much as you like because of money issues, then maybe it makes sense to consider playing more with a less expensive gun. If you switched to pump, you might be able to afford to play a lot more. In general, I agree with the guys saying shoot what you like. But I also think that playing time trumps gear. I'd rather play more often with a pump or a lower end semi. It's personal preference, of course. If you think playing with a mid-level gun or a pump would ruin your experience, then maybe you're right where you should be.

#6 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Paintball is a hobby, if it causes you stress or worries you, it becomes a chore. You need to do what makes you happy, if owning the Demon stresses you out from leaking then get rid of it.

#7 mustangs

mustangs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Well when I had my envy I still had a great time every time I went. The gun didn't shoot as nice as my demon now but still had fun. I pretty much jumped from an envy directly to a $900+ gun. It's possible I might end up liking pump more but I'm not sure till I go and play. If that's the case than yea I probably will sell my demon and get a cheaper mid end electro just in case. I only go 4-6 times a year mainly because of my job right now and my volunteer emt squad so I generally get one Sunday a month off. Sometimes I go paintballing and other times I rest since I'm tired. Once I get a new job I should have more time to go and more pay. Hopefully the job I get is the career I've been working hard to get for the past 2 years.

#8 mustangs

mustangs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Paintball is a hobby, if it causes you stress or worries you, it becomes a chore. You need to do what makes you happy, if owning the Demon stresses you out from leaking then get rid of it.

That's what I'm thinking as well. But maybe it's because I'm not lubing it enough, but I have to go another 2-3 times to be sure. For one I want to see if I like pump more than electro, a lot of people have switched because of that. I also have to see if I change up my maintenance if it helps with it not leaking. If it does than I won't get rid of it.

Edited by mustangs, 10 March 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#9 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Another thing is that even if you don't use your gun that frequently, its not like other stuff where last years stuff is obsolete this year. A gun will last you forever, so it doesn't really matter what it costs.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#10 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

It does'nt matter what gun it is, if it shoots at field velocity who cares. Up until today I've used my pumps more for airball than my "speedball guns"

Edited by bassfisher, 10 March 2013 - 05:26 PM.

Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#11 NPpballer

NPpballer

I'm Rick James, BITCH!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I've never payed more than $450 for a gun so I guess I don't understand your logic by buying an expensive gun. I don't think you should discredit speedball if you've never tried it. Gun battling is fun and the short amount of time you have to make moves is a real test of your awareness and performance under pressure. Its a fun side of the sport.

#12 mustangs

mustangs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm not really discrediting speedball, it just doesn't seem like my kind of game. At some point if I'm at the field with some people I know and they invite me to lay one game of speedball, yea ill try one game just to say I played it.

As for the gun, I'm going to keep it regardless of how much I play because at some point in time I should have more time to go. I can however think of 3 reasons why I would sell it for a gun half the price though. 1. I end up having 10x more fun playing pump and before I even get to the field I'll immediately have the intention of playing pump all day each time I go. 2. The gun just doesn't want to stop randomly leaking as if I'm flipping a coin in a football game. Heads it'll work flawless or tails it will give me problems. 3. I say I'm a spoolie guy, but only have owned and envy besides this. Shot an axe, geo 2.1, and a reflex. Who knows maybe one day I'll trade a gun with someone for a game and its an ego. I end up liking the shot and feel of a poppet than a spool

All in all I'm gong to keep the gun.

#13 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well. But maybe it's because I'm not lubing it enough, but I have to go another 2-3 times to be sure. For one I want to see if I like pump more than electro, a lot of people have switched because of that. I also have to see if I change up my maintenance if it helps with it not leaking. If it does than I won't get rid of it.

Depending on where the leak is, I have found that here are the number 1 reasons why my demon leaks (i have a 2013 also)

- I used dow 55, The stuff ther give you in the box is fine, but it has a tendency to swell the o-rings which can cause them to have little micro tears in them, leading to bigger tears and eventually a leak. I switched to Hater Marmalade, But others have solved the issue by going to any dow 33 based lubricant (Sleek, slick Honey lube, monkey poo, the 3 pound jars of dow 33 at home depot ect ect)

- I accidentally tore the HPR o-ring when I unscrewed the HPR. that top oring which seals the HPR can be tricky if you dont screw the HPR in straight. i'v torn so many o-rings from that

- My velocity was to high. (this is weird to explain) The demons solenoid is like a tank. the thing can take monster abuse, but when you get to higher velocities, and the internals are not broken in, it will leak ever so lightly from the side of the marker (more if you crank the velocity) it will sometimes seal itself after shooting a few rounds through. I found when I first got my demon I had it at 270 FPS for a few days And the more I used it the higher i could put my velocity. (only took a few cases and im at 280 no leaks)

** this is my experience only and I am no tech. **

Edited by Eskimo, 10 March 2013 - 08:10 PM.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#14 mustangs

mustangs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Depending on where the leak is, I have found that here are the number 1 reasons why my demon leaks (i have a 2013 also)

- I used dow 55, The stuff ther give you in the box is fine, but it has a tendency to swell the o-rings which can cause them to have little micro tears in them, leading to bigger tears and eventually a leak. I switched to Hater Marmalade, But others have solved the issue by going to any dow 33 based lubricant (Sleek, slick Honey lube, monkey poo, the 3 pound jars of dow 33 at home depot ect ect)

- I accidentally tore the HPR o-ring when I unscrewed the HPR. that top oring which seals the HPR can be tricky if you dont screw the HPR in straight. i'v torn so many o-rings from that

- My velocity was to high. (this is weird to explain) The demons solenoid is like a tank. the thing can take monster abuse, but when you get to higher velocities, and the internals are not broken in, it will leak ever so lightly from the side of the marker (more if you crank the velocity) it will sometimes seal itself after shooting a few rounds through. I found when I first got my demon I had it at 270 FPS for a few days And the more I used it the higher i could put my velocity. (only took a few cases and im at 280 no leaks)

** this is my experience only and I am no tech. **

The leak is coming from top of the trigger, it's a big leak too. I printed out the manual, courtesy of Orange, and it says what to check. Checked everywhere they said besides under the manifold because I'm not comfortable taking that off lol.

I use Dow 55 also. Last time I went it leaked and I cleaned and relubed the bolt, didn't work. Put a little more lube on the bolt guide and shuttle, didn't work. I did that about another 2-3 times didn't work. Finally took apart the gun and lubed the transfer hole oring, didn't work. Finally put a slight amount of lube on the reg piston oring, finally stopped. Funny thing is I cleaned and lubed the gun Friday night and checked for leaks and didn't. It leaked that Sunday morning once I aired it up at the field. Once I got home I cleaned and lubed the gun again because I ended up getting mud in my breach, long story. Checked the gun for leaks a day later and nothing. Left it alone for about a week and thought what the hell let me see. And the leak happened again lol

So now you can pretty much see what I mean by flipping a coin, never know what side it's going to end up on. Maybe it's the dow55 but I wouldn't know why since that's what was suggested by Frank.

Edited by mustangs, 10 March 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#15 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

Now I love the gun!

This is the only thing that matters.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#16 spqr-king

spqr-king

Lead the way, all the way!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

AXE PLUS CASH!!! You didn't make a mistake for buying it for woods all was it maybe a bad decision because it leaks? Also a no if you bought a Toyota and it leaked oil what would you do? Send that bitch back and get it fixed lol the demon is a great marker and there are more ways to have fun then one enjoy your purchase and maybe try speedball I promise its fun lol don't write it off enjoy all aspects of paintball!

Check us out at Retribution Sports!

#17 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

This. I bought a 2012 G6R last year when they were released and maybe played 8 times from May until September. I love the marker and in no way do I consider it a waste of money.

#18 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm on my second 2013'ed demon. I just got my second one back from Frank Today actually.

They tell people to use dow55 because it swells the orings to give them a better seal. I liked to use some kind of dow33 on my last demon and used the 55 on just a few of the orings.

The leak you're getting is more than likely the shuttle valve being in backwards or it needing lubed or wanting new orings or a combination of the two. I'd also make sure you're HPR isn't too high, your solenoid could just be venting because of that.

I love the demons. Most spool valves are like that though, you have to baby them more often than poppets and finding the issues are usually a little bit harder.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#19 mustangs

mustangs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

See thats the thing. The shuttle valve was on correctly, I kept applying lube on the shuttle about 3 times, and I checked those orings like crazy and didn't see any tears or nicks. Also the gun seems to not leak if I lube it and air it up right away. So I would have to clean and lube my gun the same morning I go paintballing.

#20 saintnoir

saintnoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

i would change the o-rings a tiny dent you cant see easily can make a quirky leak,the other thing to check is if there's any debris in the gun my geo had a weird ass leak i couldnt catch...turns out a cat hair got in the body.
as far as the gun use wait you like be it a demon,ego,dm or hell a slingshot if you have fun go for it (hell i spent 980$ building a westwood autococker to use worth it in my eyes hell yes to most nope)

Edited by saintnoir, 12 March 2013 - 07:28 AM.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java the thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion"
2k3 dark angel,2k1 c@c angel,dark ir3,2k1 angel,99 led,2k2 lcd,2kad,05,06 speed,g7,A1,A1 fly......yup i like angels

#21 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Paintball is a hobby, if it causes you stress or worries you, it becomes a chore.

These.

Don't worry about if you spent a lot of money even if you didn't "have" to. Nobody "needs" to buy paintball gear. We buy it because we want it and we enjoy using it.

As for me, I'll happily play with my mid-range markers. Someday if I can afford it I may get a high end again (I bought a Viking new when they were being made, and it's still with me even if it gets used less in favor of smaller lighter modern markers). I don't want to play with rental gear or low-end stuff, so I won't.

If you like the Demon, then use the Demon. Doesn't matter if somebody else thinks it's overkill or not.

#22 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

If I were you I'd sell it and buy an ass ton of old markers Java edition Spyder, skyscraper impulse, shoebox shocker, angel lcd/g7/led/fly and any auto cocker. But that's me I'm sure an ass ton of people are thinking I'm crazy but thats what I would do. So moral of the story, whatever you do people are going to dsagree with so do what you want
109.gif

#23 mustangs

mustangs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Apparently the dow55 eats away at the orings, going to get some slick honey tomorrow if the store has some. If slick honey gets rid of the leaks, I won't be letting go of the gun at all :)

#24 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Apparently the dow55 eats away at the orings, going to get some slick honey tomorrow if the store has some. If slick honey gets rid of the leaks, I won't be letting go of the gun at all :)

lol dow 55 is recommended for bob long markers only, it swells them more then eats them but you get the point
109.gif

#25 mustangs

mustangs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

lol dow 55 is recommended for bob long markers only, it swells them more then eats them but you get the point

Yea so pretty much I have an ounce of Dow55 for no reason -_- great lol

Edited by mustangs, 13 March 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#26 Jalen

Jalen

Resident Psychopath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

You don't need a race track to drive a Ferrari. Use whatever damn gun you want wherever you want. I don't think you should regret your purchase.

That was so perfect it made my peepee hard.
I only play paintball so I can tell dirty jokes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users