Photo

Electronic or Mechanical

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Electronic or Mechanical what do you use? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Upgrading from a Tippmann 98 trying to decide what type of gun to go with next?

1. Electronic (23 votes [79.31%])

Percentage of vote: 79.31%

2. Mechanical (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 HeadRunner

HeadRunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

Im new to the sport of Paintball and just like many others i currently have a Tippmann 98, I am looking at upgrading to a different marker. Now a little back story both of my friends that I paintball with used to play alot about 10yrs or so ago they both have autocockers one of them uses a pump and the other just a semi auto. They are telling me I should get a autococker but since they are no longer in production that means using ebay or something similar to get a good one. Ive been looking online and trying to see if most people use mechanical guns or electronic guns, I will mainly be playing woodsball but dont care the slightest about making my gun look like a AR-15 or AK 47 or any of that I have a real AR-15 ill go shoot it if i wanna shoot a real gun, i just want a good paintball gun. I will be playing some speedball or X ball but do not have a local field so it wouldnt be a everyday thing. Also I currently have a C02 tank if i get a high end electro does that mean I MUST use HPA? Any info is greatly appreciated thank you for your time.

PS Ive been looking at the new Proto SLG 09, not sure if there good or not.

#2 .Radix

.Radix

Dye Whore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

The Proto SLG 09 is a great choice if you are not wanting to spend all that much money. It is arguably the best $200 marker (I'm assuming your talking about the SLG 09 Basic not the UL one which is $300). Now I would STRONGLY recommend you go with an HPA tank. It is incomparable to C02. I wouldn't get a marker that is out of production as if will be hard to find parts if something breaks.

#3 HeadRunner

HeadRunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

The Proto SLG 09 is a great choice if you are not wanting to spend all that much money. It is arguably the best $200 marker (I'm assuming your talking about the SLG 09 Basic not the UL one which is $300). Now I would STRONGLY recommend you go with an HPA tank. It is incomparable to C02. I wouldn't get a marker that is out of production as if will be hard to find parts if something breaks.

I would be willing to get the UL what is the main difference? Also if I got HPA do most people just get a scuba tank and go that route if playing away from a field like I would be in the woods?

#4 .Radix

.Radix

Dye Whore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I would be willing to get the UL what is the main difference? Also if I got HPA do most people just get a scuba tank and go that route if playing away from a field like I would be in the woods?

The main difference between the SLG basic and the UL SLG is that mostly all the parts of the basic are composite which brings the cost down and it does not have a Ultralite frame (UL). However the internals such as bolt and all that are the same.

As for scuba tanks, if you are really far away from anywhere where you can get a fill a scuba tank might be your answer. Now you will have to get a fill station for the tank so you can fill up your HPA tanks.

#5 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

The UL SLG is just as much composite as the Basic SLG. The difference is that the UL SLG has an Ultralight Frame (in composite form). It's supposed to feel better in your hand. I don't really think it's worth $100 but some do.

Scuba tanks will work for fillups away from a field, but remember you're still going to have to have someone fill up those scuba tanks. Also, they give you diminishing returns because everytime you use them, you equalize pressure. First time you fill up, your scuba tank's pressure will drop filling up your tank and you'll equalize at about 2800 PSI, then 2600 PSI, then 2400 PSI, and so on. Every fill will be less full than the former.

Posted Image

#6 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

The vibe or SP1 are rock solid on CO2. But for CO2 and if you're interested a cocker or Mag isn't a bad option.

#7 HeadRunner

HeadRunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

Scuba tanks will work for fillups away from a field, but remember you're still going to have to have someone fill up those scuba tanks. Also, they give you diminishing returns because everytime you use them, you equalize pressure. First time you fill up, your scuba tank's pressure will drop filling up your tank and you'll equalize at about 2800 PSI, then 2600 PSI, then 2400 PSI, and so on. Every fill will be less full than the former.

So what other option is there besides using a scuba tank or is that the only option hehe?

#8 HeadRunner

HeadRunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

The vibe or SP1 are rock solid on CO2. But for CO2 and if you're interested a cocker or Mag isn't a bad option.

Ill have to look into those I dont know what a vibe or SP1 are off hand. my friends use auto cockers, not sure what a mag is? Is it worth upgrading to HPA if I play out in the woods and wont be at a field all the time to refill?

#9 Christopher

Christopher

Ignore Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Im new to the sport of Paintball and just like many others i currently have a Tippmann 98, I am looking at upgrading to a different marker. Now a little back story both of my friends that I paintball with used to play alot about 10yrs or so ago they both have autocockers one of them uses a pump and the other just a semi auto. They are telling me I should get a autococker but since they are no longer in production that means using ebay or something similar to get a good one. Ive been looking online and trying to see if most people use mechanical guns or electronic guns, I will mainly be playing woodsball but dont care the slightest about making my gun look like a AR-15 or AK 47 or any of that I have a real AR-15 ill go shoot it if i wanna shoot a real gun, i just want a good paintball gun. I will be playing some speedball or X ball but do not have a local field so it wouldnt be a everyday thing. Also I currently have a C02 tank if i get a high end electro does that mean I MUST use HPA? Any info is greatly appreciated thank you for your time.

PS Ive been looking at the new Proto SLG 09, not sure if there good or not.

If you are willing to buy used, or on E-bay, I would recomend a mech. If not, you may want to use an electro. If you get an electro, you can get your CO2 tank anti-siphoned and still use it. I recommend that you stick with anti siphoned CO2 unless you are willing to buy a carbon fiber tank. CO2 will last longer, which can be a big deal if you don't have easy access to air fills.

Edited by Christopher, 26 March 2009 - 04:58 PM.

#10 Ames

Ames

I hated ions beafore it was cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

you could probably get a massive HPA tank on ebay for $150 you can get 1500-2200 shots out of something like that.

or you could get a tippmann c3 that gets 50000 shots in 1 fill
it uses a camping style propane tank

http://cgi.ebay.com/...l...93:1|294:50
Beautiful Raceframe'd round body CCM S5
Virtue'd Vlocity
68/45 Maxflo
CP 10in .685 barrel

#11 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

Ill have to look into those I dont know what a vibe or SP1 are off hand. my friends use auto cockers, not sure what a mag is? Is it worth upgrading to HPA if I play out in the woods and wont be at a field all the time to refill?

the mag is an AutoMag - they were the other gun fighting for supremacy in the late 90s with the AutoCocker.

The Vibe and SP1 are Smart Parts' new low end electros. both are rock solid, work well on HPA or CO2, have low-force anti-chop bolts and seem to really be quality markers. You can pick them up for well under $200.

If you're going to have a hard time getting fills - then HPA may not be the best choice.

#12 HeadRunner

HeadRunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

So just curious how many of you use a scuba tank to fill your own HPA tank? As im finding out by reading more and more all the high end guns require it and can't even use Co2 so seems like it might be a move in the right direction to get a scuba tank and adapter so i could fill my own tank out in the woods.

#13 ego this

ego this

legit member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

i would go for the 09 basic SLG solid gun good for anything woods or xball

Posted Image

"Ions cause family problems"

Lazered BW Etek2, Gloss Black Marq 6, Tippmann 98 platinum w/ flatine

#14 Texas Cheezburgr

Texas Cheezburgr

:D :O :S

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

Truly I prefer a mech gun.

Sure you can shoot 20+ BPS with an electric. But there is something about mech guns I find more enjoying. Especially cockers.
This user has been banned for repeated trolling and breaking the rules here at TechPB. Sorry Texas, you are no longer welcome here at TechPB

#15 HeadRunner

HeadRunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:53 AM

Thank you all for you input and help :)

#16 Rebel_816

Rebel_816

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:43 AM

So just curious how many of you use a scuba tank to fill your own HPA tank? As im finding out by reading more and more all the high end guns require it and can't even use Co2 so seems like it might be a move in the right direction to get a scuba tank and adapter so i could fill my own tank out in the woods.

ive done it before. you should be able to shoot about 8 cases of paint off of one scuba tank.
Cocker owners club #37

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users