• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

So,I have had an on/off asa on my cocker pump for a while.I have pretty much left the tank on the gun,but recently left it on for about,oh,a month.And now it's stuck.I know the tank has no air in it because it won't shoot and the metal piece in the fill nipple moves back and forth.So,any advice for getting it off?I am sort of afraid to try brute force because I don't want to damage my threads,so thats out the window(for now).I was thinking about dousing the area where the bonnet and asa meet with oil,then trying to screw them apart.

Edited by paintballguy2255, 16 March 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#2 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hitting it with some WD-40 and letting it sit overnight is probably a good idea. If you have to use force, use a nylon strap wrench. It probably won't take much effort to get it off. If that doesn't work, remove the ASA from the gun and heat it up (not the reg) with a heat gun on low setting. Aluminum expand pretty readily from heat, the diameter of the threaded hole will actually grow and lose contact with the reg. Don't get it too hot though.

#3 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I will try that if I can find some WD-40 I know we have some somewhere...

#4 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Well,I tried WD-40,and it is still stuck.Any other ideas?

#5 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

What I tend to do, is see if you can remove the gauge, then use a large adjustable wrench to push on the fill nipple to unscrew the tank

What most likely happened, was that you threaded the tank in too far, and actually screwed the tank into the metal past the threads on the ASA

#6 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

And now my problem is almost nonexistent access to tools due to all the junk in our garage

Edited by paintballguy2255, 19 March 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#7 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

just brute force it off, it happens when you put your tank on too tight, once you get it off make sure you oil your asa threads. No grease, grease just hold dirt oil lets it flow out. have your friend hold your marker and you hold the tank, twist in opposite directions
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#8 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Ok,got tools.So I try to "latch" onto the fill nipple and push down?

just brute force it off, it happens when you put your tank on too tight, once you get it off make sure you oil your asa threads. No grease, grease just hold dirt oil lets it flow out. have your friend hold your marker and you hold the tank, twist in opposite directions

I have the asa off the gun,and am currently struggling with it.

#9 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Worst case use a rubber strap oil filter wrench to twist the tank with the ASA in a vice.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#10 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Well,brute force has prevailed,and it is out*starts slow clap in happiness*.i did what Mike recommended,and on that note,is it ok to replace the thread saver already on the gauge when I put it back on?(ninja tank BTW)

Edited by paintballguy2255, 19 March 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#11 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about the thread sealing tape. Yeah it's ok, just use about three wraps around it and make sure the face of the fitting doesn't have any overhanging it. Small peices can come loose and get stuck in your reg or solenoid. Use tape, not pipe dope (a brush on sealant). That has an even better chance of getting into your system. You can use a low strength loctite but allow it to cure for about 48 hours before putting air to the gun. Just run a line around a few threads up from the end. Do not use medium or high strengh if you ever want to get the guage back off.

Edited by dosh, 20 March 2013 - 11:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users