• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cpxballer9

cpxballer9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

I have a few questions about radios. The first one, do you guys recommend radios for LL, and are they helpfully? Secondly what are radios used for, who uses them to communicate, and are they important? Lastly if I was to get a radio which radio would you recommend?

Edited by cpxballer9, 17 March 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#2 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

I have a few questions about radios. The first one, do you guys recommend radios for LL, and are they helpfully? Yes if you are running with your team or the other people you came with.
Secondly what are radios used for, who uses them to communicate, and are they important? Communicating positions and calling for reinforcements. The generals and some of the bigger teams use them. And yes they are extremely important to the both sides as communication wins games.
Lastly if I was to get a radio which radio would you recommend? Can't help you on this one.

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#3 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

First off, I'm glad you're coming to LL6, it's gonna be a great time.

Your first question is would we recommend using a radio for LL? My answer depends on who you are playing with. If you are bringing a team or even a friend, I would recommend yes. It's always good to stay in contact with the people you're with in case you get shot out and they don't, that way you can meet up with them after you reinsert. If you're going to be a lone ranger, I would not recommend a radio. If you don't have anyone to use it with, there isn't really a point in bringing one. My team, the Brew City Bomb Squad actually does pretty well with radios. Since we are pretty good friends and allies with Necro (the horde general) and his SAS team, we will be rolling with them and have constant radio connection between us, SAS, and Necro. It will be three different channels: one for our team, another for a co captain of mine to be in contact with Fiss, who is commanding SAS this year since Necro is the general, and one with Necro. This will help us keep chatter down and effectively communicate on the field. Communication is key to winning a game.

Kinda what I was talking about before is that radios are used for communication. Most teams will have them just for their team to communicate with each other on where each other are at and other things like that. The general will have a direct line with all of the squad commanders. Last year the horde command staff used Puxing 777s programmed and secured. Team captains or communication leaders will sometimes have direct lines with other team captains that they are allied with.

Right now, our team uses Midland GXT 1000s because they have security and sup group channels. That means we can lock communication on a large base channel to just between the people who have our code. If they go on our channel (base channel 55), it'll just sound like static. We also have sub groups (channel 55 subgroup 2) so we can have all of our team on a sub group. It is not as secure but will have much less traffic than base channels. Only midland radios can use midland sub channels as well as cobra radios can only use cobra sub channels. For you, I would just get a basic radio that can go up to 50 channels since Living Legends is expected to have 2000+ people this year, you'll want a radio that has lots of channels so you won't be on someone else's or vice versa. Just make sure you get a radio that you know how to program (most basic radios just push a button and it goes to a different channel pre programmed). If you do not know how to program high end radios, do not buy them. Whatever you do, get a radio that is PTT, or push to talk. If the radio only has VoX (voice operated) do not get it. VoX radios automatically transmit any sound the mic pics up (your heavy breathing, talking to the guy about the mcdonalds you had last night, etc.). If you get a PTT radio, it will only transmit when you push the talk button. If it has both, just make sure you keep it on PTT mode.

So in short, if you're bringing friends or are attending with a team, find out what radios they are using or just get a basic radio that you can all access the same channels on. Get a PTT only or PTT/VoX radio. Do not get a radio that only has a VoX feature. Just use the radio for important things like if you need support from your friends/team or you're just trying to find them on the field. Do not go into long details about how you were walking this awesome trail and found a cool looking stick that looked like a rabbit and then you shot like 20 guys. Don't worry about trying to get into radio contact with higher commands. The people that do need to be in radio contact already have it covered and don't need more pointless chatter on the command channels. Just remember, have fun. And when you reinsert ask the HQ where they need you. That is the only time you really need to be in contact with command and the only reason. If you have a problem with another player for cheating, etc. bring it to a ref. If you see and area getting demolished by the other team, they command staff most likely already know or will know by the time you get back to reinsert.

Have fun, stay safe, and bring lots of water and eat food. If you don't eat, you are losing electrolytes your body needs and not replenishing them. Don't think you can replace food with gatorade. Eat substantial food, drink lots of water. Take breaks if you are getting too hot or tired. Half of my team last year was out for hours on saturday because we did not properly eat.

#4 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Ben, I'm gonna steal some of this and repost my radio basics write up with some of this info in it, that cool?

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#5 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

It's quite simple really, radios are unnecassary because everyone will be at the ravine all weekend. ;)

#6 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

It's quite simple really, radios are unnecassary because everyone will be at the ravine all weekend. ;)

God help us! :(

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#7 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hell yeah we will, brewing up a fresh batch of Ravine Sauce, an industrial strength pipe cleaner, diesel stain remover, wood polish, personal lubricant and a fanciful Cologne.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#8 MZinCamo

MZinCamo

OG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,962 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

Radios are for pussies ;)

Just kidding. I ran without one last year and it was actually decent.

#9 Living Legends Fan

Living Legends Fan

The Scenario Paintball King!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Who needs radios when we got smoke signals. :D

Discovered LL3... Mastered LL4... Conquered LL5... Achieve Greatness at LL6... Prevailed at LL7...

What Does LL8 Have in Store?

#10 robot0ninja

robot0ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Who needs radio when my voice is loud enough for everyone to hear...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users