5 replies to this topic

#1 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

so I found one in decent shape for a good price on PBN, I'e been looking to get myself a pump to mess around with. I know nothing about these guns, I plan to run it with a pocket hopper and 12g's. It is a good pump to start with? I find very little info on it
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#2 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

so I found one in decent shape for a good price on PBN, I'e been looking to get myself a pump to mess around with. I know nothing about these guns, I plan to run it with a pocket hopper and 12g's. It is a good pump to start with? I find very little info on it

It's similar to a trracer. Similar advice for both guns.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#3 paintballguy2255

paintballguy2255

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

It is basically a tracer clone.It is a pretty good first pump,but word of advice-any hopper+12 grams=usually being very awkward.Unless you put no more than about 20-25 rounds in the hopper at a time.And if you need a good hopper:
http://www.paintball...p50ropusif.html
and cheap 12g's can be found at walmart in bulk(40 crossmans for $20)

Edited by paintballguy2255, 21 March 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#4 Pyrate Jim

Pyrate Jim

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

It is basically a tracer clone.

Actually, it's the other way around.
ACI had the Maveric & Hornet.
When PMI bought out the ACI company, they took the same markers and re-named them the Trraccer & TagMaster.
All four are essentially the same internally, all the parts can be swapped.
The label just determines which company made it.
CT Co-ordinator ~ Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Certified Master Airsmith
http://www.paintball-pti.com/

#5 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

When PMI bought out the ACI company, they took the same markers and re-named them the Trraccer & TagMaster.

Is that true? My recollection is the PMI branded Trracer was first, then when that brand went fallow ACI continued to produce the guns as the Maverick. PMI Trracers are marked as being manufactured by ACI. The Trracer was famous for its price point, it was the Spyder of pump guns back in the day. Or rather, the Spyder was the Trracer of semis. Or the Trracer and Spyder were the Ions before the Ion? :lol:

In any event, pretty sure such a famous gun being a remake of a previous gun would have been widely known. That kind of corporate rebranding wasn't too common back then. The Trracer patent is from 1992-1993 which is when PMI started selling them.

Edited by drg, 23 March 2013 - 02:50 AM.

Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#6 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Is that true? My recollection is the PMI branded Trracer was first, then when that brand went fallow ACI continued to produce the guns as the Maverick. PMI Trracers are marked as being manufactured by ACI. The Trracer was famous for its price point, it was the Spyder of pump guns back in the day. Or rather, the Spyder was the Trracer of semis. Or the Trracer and Spyder were the Ions before the Ion? :lol:

In any event, pretty sure such a famous gun being a remake of a previous gun would have been widely known. That kind of corporate rebranding wasn't too common back then. The Trracer patent is from 1992-1993 which is when PMI started selling them.

Pretty sure g has it right.
ACI made things under contract for PMI for several years before attempting to market things on their own.
The Hornet and Maverick emerged around 1995, and were primarily sold through NPS, PMI's main competitor at the time.

Also, just in case OP wasn't aware, the Hornet is different from a Trracer in that it's an "undercocking" Nelson.
That is, like a Phantom the pump is connected to the bolt by a rod (or two, in the Hornet's case) rather than arms that go alongside the body.
This was generally considered to be an upgrade over traditional side-arm designs because it meant there are no open slots alongside the bolt, which helps to keep dirt out of the gun.

So again:

PMI Trracer = ACI Maverick
PMI Tagmaster = ACI Hornet

All four guns were manufactured by ACI.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users