• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 xxwildbillxx

xxwildbillxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Old baller from the 80's looking to get back into the sport now that the industry is taking a turn back to some of its roots with more authentic magazine fed markers... HOWEVER...after spending a day researching mag feds, I couldn't narrow down any options due to so much bias and mud slinging amongst the different mag fed owners... Almost every blog I read eventually had something bad to say about each and every mag fed marker ... Surley not every mag fed marker out there is a "problem child" (???)

This is what I'm looking for in a magazine fed marker...

1) New-Used

2) $250 - $400 Budget

3) High Magazine Capacity (8 rounds ain't gonna cut it)

4) Must utilize .68 AND First Strike (seperate .68 & FS mags is ok)

5) High Pressure option through the rear stock

6) (Any advice on what I should absolutely stay away from would be appreciated)

7) (Also, I'm good with mods & willing to invest a little in aftermarket parts to address minor short comings!)

Thanks!

#2 Vhyrus

Vhyrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

I honestly don't know if there are any guns that even fit those specs. All Tiberius and spyder markers are less than 10 rounds. The DAM is 1300 dollars so thats out. Maybe milsig but I am pretty sure they are above 400 as well. You can look at getting a used tippmann and adding a tacamo magwell system, but I don't think tacamo runs first strike. I don't know much about rap4 but you can check them out as well.

#3 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

I would look at the Dye DAM if you have money, or Tiberius and the new spyder mag feds. But it is very unlikely that there is a magazine that is actually high capacity. At that point, you might as well get a hopper and call it a day. Avoid rap4, looks realistic, preforms like crap.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#4 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

I'm not well versed on the whole magfed think, but you might want to check into MilSig, and Scarab Arms. Tiberious also has a new marker coming out that should be around the $500 mark, if you want to look into that.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#5 ImpulseTECH

ImpulseTECH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I believe that the x7 phenom has a magfed kit from tacamo and you can buy another kit for the tank stock...although i dont know if its fs ready. But they can run 20 rd mags

#6 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Pistols are prolly the best option performance wise in that price range AKA the Tippmann TIPX or Tiberius T8.1 but have only 7rnds for the Tippmann and 8 for the Tiberius.

Alternatly the only other mag feed markers under $400 that shoot both first strikes and paintballs are Spyders MR5 series and the Spyders Hammer 7 Pump. But these don't have air in stock options as of yet.

Personally I have a Tiberius T8.1 that both my sister and I use when playing CQB style games. The 8 rnd mags though small on capacity work well and you end up playing differently because of it. Personally I found I prefer stock class play and offten then opt to use my other pistol an old PGP. But the new gen pistols are still lots of fun. I strongly recommend if you wana try mag feed to get a Pistol first. It is the best way to get good performing regulated mag fed markers at a reasonable price point.

Edited by TinyBear, 24 March 2013 - 09:43 AM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#7 Salvation

Salvation

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

the Tippman with a Tacamo Mag Fed kit might be your best option price wise. Rap4 is releasing a new Magwell for it to run their new DMags which will shoot both standard paint and FS out of the same Mag. The other options for a First Strike ready marker are either low capacity or over your budget. Even if you found a MilSig Paradim Pro used it would still be out of your price range.

A few pointers on MagFed Companies:

MilSig- While a little on the expensive side their Cust. Service is excellent!
Dye- Quality products in general but really Pricey!
Rap4-Some great innovations but the quality control system has issues. Sometimes there flawless but you have just as good a chance to get a lemon.
Spyder-still early to tell with them but seem to have good "entry level" MagFed systems.
Tiberius-Not to expensive, limited ammo (soon to change) and require a little more patience to service

Kevin
Indiana Member #"Old Fart"
SAS-Indiana
Central Indiana
http://saswoodsball.com/
http://www.sasmilsim.com/

#8 xxwildbillxx

xxwildbillxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Really appreciate the advice!

Regarding the new MilSig MKIII Paradigm... does anyone know if the redesigned MKIII/MilSig magazines will fit other markers... with an adaptor or an aftermarket well kit? Really liking the redesigned MilSig/MKIII mags...just not the MKIII's price tag ;)

Edited by xxwildbillxx, 25 March 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#9 xxwildbillxx

xxwildbillxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Also... anyone heard when Tiberious's new marker might be out? Only thing I've heard so far is it might be a $1K vs a $500 marker...possibly closer to $1400?

Edited by xxwildbillxx, 25 March 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#10 GoG-eXTCy

GoG-eXTCy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Don't bother with them guns just get a speedball gun like a Proto Reflex Rail you will be better off doing that instead of carrying around a 15 pound peice of equipment...
Been Playing Paintball for 2 years.... Also recommend me a New Gun For Under $275!

#11 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thing is, hes going for a mag fed. Its like saying for someone to get a rail when he's going for a pump.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#12 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'd look at the new Spyder lineup, given the budget.

I don't think the Tacamo conversion is FS capable. I could be wrong.

I want to recommend the new Tiberius 15 coming out this year, but when they haven't released a price point on it I can't. If it's around $500 like some rumors I'd be all over it. If it's going to be closer to 1k I'll say forget it.

Thing is, hes going for a mag fed. Its like saying for someone to get a rail when he's going for a pump.

Exactly.

Let the guy play mag fed if that's what he wants.

#13 Salvation

Salvation

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Don't bother with them guns just get a speedball gun like a Proto Reflex Rail you will be better off doing that instead of carrying around a 15 pound peice of equipment...

My kit is actually lighter now that I went MagFed, and thats with 10 Mags!

The Paradim Mags wont fit any other Marker nor have I heard of any parts or Mods to make them work.

The Tacamo Kits are FS compatable and they are releasing the new mag mells over the next few months to accomodate the FS magazines.

Kev

PS forgot about Scarab http://www.sasmilsim.com/ScSpecs.html

Edited by Salvation, 25 March 2013 - 07:44 PM.

SAS-Indiana
Central Indiana

#14 xxwildbillxx

xxwildbillxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Actually played speed ball for a short time back in the mid 90's & actually still have my Automag (Tipman SMG & three Nelson 007 pumps). Reason I'm getting back into the sport ... a buddy has a 30 acre wooded farm with a creek and 50% of it is just sitting idle. Since half the guys in our group are former millitary (army & marine) we've already decided on going tactical/woodsball vs anything resembling speed ball. If we do hit a private (spray & pray) scenario, its going to be once or twice a year at the very most. In fact, most of 'em loath spray & pray fields due to costs (married w/children & mortgages, etc... tends to cause that lol). We only agreed to get back into it due to the availability of the farm (zero fees) and the option of bulk mail order paint. (High pressure & CO2 are already on site).

Edited by xxwildbillxx, 25 March 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#15 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

The Tacamo Kits are FS compatable and they are releasing the new mag mells over the next few months to accomodate the FS magazines.

I stand corrected.

This is now my new recommendation for mag fed markers.

#16 xxwildbillxx

xxwildbillxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

My list is coming together....

1) "T15" by Tiberius (unfortunately there's no pricing or release date but I'm willing to wait a month or two).

2) Tippman

3) Tacamo

4) MilSig MKIII Paradigm (but the $1K price tag will delay purchase 'til spring of 2014)

5) ???

#17 Vhyrus

Vhyrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

If you're looking at a gun for a grand you should definitely look at the Dye Assault Matrix.

#18 Cap'n Biff

Cap'n Biff

Lab Ogre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Ah, a mag-fed question...

"CRACKS KNUCKLES"

Spyder: Hammer, MR5 and MRX. Have a FSR-capable magazine option (9 of the .68 or 8 FSRs). They can be hopper and magazine fed (though I think they need to have the barrel unlocked to switch). Hammer is a pump, MR5 has an e-grip option. These are by far the least expensive mag-fed marker options available.

RAP4 468: Latest generation marker, same basic internals as their previous T68 line. Open bolt blowback Spyder internals, the receiver splits like a real steel AR for access to the internals. Can use real steel components like delta rings, shrouds. Can use the RAP4 Flexi-Air air-thru or air-in stock. Uses the RAP4 or Milsig round collar mags with the old magwell (T68), but the new one accepts the DMags. Old .68 magazines were 18 or 20 rounds (18 aren't around much anymore). New DMags are dual-stack, and 5, 7 or 10 rounds per stack depending on what size you buy. The old magwell allowed the box mag to be used, the new one does not. The T68 had an e-grip option, I think the 468 accepts it.

Tacamo MKP-II Phenom kit: Basically is a receiver and magwell that you put Phenom internals into. Has the new magwell, so can accept DMags. Some issues with the stock bolt chopping on this kit, especially with the DMags and FSRs. A modification to the magwell and a special bolt are in the works, no solid ETA yet. Mods are out there to allow the magwell to accept Scarab Arms TGR2 mags, and you can get the receiver and magwell modified to accept the Milsig square-head FSR-capable mags. The old MKP kits were iffy at best, I've heard the MKP-II kits are better. Allows you to use Phenom accessories on a RAP4 mag-fed system, but with better internals than their own marker. Also can use the FLexi-Air system. Uses the Phenom trigger system (mechanical or electro-pneumatic e-grip).

Milsig: The newest generation is the Paradigm Pro series. Features the 10-round square-head FSR-capable magazines, as well as 20-round .68 mags. Old blowback internals were replaced with the HEAT Core spool valve system, though I have heard of quite a few leaking issues from people (word of mouth only so far). By far the most expensive of the "replica" milsim mag-fed markers (wait, I'll talk about the DAM later). Accepts some real steel accessories, others have to be Milsig. Air-in-stock is standard, air-thru stock (remote line) is available. You used to be able to use the A5 e-grip on the older Milsig models, not sure if that holds true for the Paradigm Pro.

Scarab Arms TGR-2: Recent arrival on the mag-fed scene. Blowback internals with velocity set with a spring. has either 12-round FSR-capable or 18-round .68 magazines. I have heard very good things about the mechanics and feeding of the TGR-2 mags. Also, the TGR-2 purports to accept RAP4 (and I believe the round-collar Milsig) mags in its standard magwell. Air-in-stock standard, not a lot of additional add-ons or accessories available, though real steel accessories (like sights, grips, etc.) will work. Also, it accepts A5 threaded barrels. Mechanical trigger only.

Tiberius Arms: T9.1 series uses the 8-round FSR magazines. The T4.1 has 10 or 14-round magazines, and can have air-thru mag (older T4, not sure about the T4.1). Air-thru stock and air-in-stock available. Can be hopper and mag-fed. Blow-forward internals. Can also be run on CO2 12-grams. Their newest upcoming model, the T15, is much more replica-level milsim. Looks like an AR, apparently uses real steel accessories, split receiver to get to internals. Not yet available, I don't have much info on it. Mechanical trigger only (but maybe not, rumours abound).

Dye DAM: The most expensive of the mass-produced mag-fed markers. Mag-fed and hopper-fed in one package, dual-stacked FSR-capable magazines. Dual 5 and 10-round capacity, and accepts .68 and FSRs. Dye DM internals. Hopper and magazine selectable with a push switch. Electronic trigger with multiple modes of fire. Not "relpica" milsim, but extremely well designed, ergonomics are great (dropped stock for example). Price and the Starship Troopers look might not appeal to the milsim mag-fed purists, but it is a very versatile marker, and there are rumours of a box mag...

I know I left out pistols, and I'm sure I've missed a few things beyond that. Feel free to add guys. OP, hope this helps.

Edited by Cap'n Biff, 26 March 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Paintballs bounce off me like raisins off an Oldsmobile...
My Feedback
Lapco BigShot Assault A5 14"

#19 Salvation

Salvation

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Cap'n the E-grips do technically work in the Paradim however due to the heat cores "slow" recharge rate it really wouldn't be worth while. I believe the Paradim maxes out at about 10 bps before it wont cycle properly.

As far as the Tacamo kit goes get the newer generation if that is what you decide on. While mine was fine I know ALOT of people needed to tweak and Mod theirs to work well.

As far as the 468 goes I would wait a bit just to see the reviews. A number of people already have their hands on them and its just a matter of time before we hear if they are good to go or not.

If you still have those 007 Markers you might be able to up your budget if you were willing to part with them!

Kev
SAS-Indiana
Central Indiana

#20 xxwildbillxx

xxwildbillxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

If you still have those 007 Markers you might be able to up your budget if you were willing to part with them!
Kev

Someone once mentioned to me back in the early 90's that the 007's might become a collector's item. I laughed and never gave it a second thought. I of course don't want to hijack my own thread any longer than I have to, but does anyone know where I might start researching my 007's to see if they hold any decent value to a collector? (I don't suppose there's a collectors register for vintage paintball markers floating around on the web ??? lol).

Really appreciate the ongoing feedback regarding "WORTHY" Mag-Feds and which ones to avoid!

Edited by xxwildbillxx, 27 March 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#21 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I would look at the Dye DAM if you have money, or Tiberius and the new spyder mag feds. But it is very unlikely that there is a magazine that is actually high capacity. At that point, you might as well get a hopper and call it a day. Avoid rap4, looks realistic, preforms like crap.

dam aint nowhere near $400s... Not even used.

Uhh he wants milsim. You arent helping by telling him this.

Lulzjustacat.png

#22 Cap'n Biff

Cap'n Biff

Lab Ogre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Cap'n the E-grips do technically work in the Paradim however due to the heat cores "slow" recharge rate it really wouldn't be worth while. I believe the Paradim maxes out at about 10 bps before it wont cycle properly.

As far as the Tacamo kit goes get the newer generation if that is what you decide on. While mine was fine I know ALOT of people needed to tweak and Mod theirs to work well.

As far as the 468 goes I would wait a bit just to see the reviews. A number of people already have their hands on them and its just a matter of time before we hear if they are good to go or not.

Kev

Thanks man, good info to know. :)
Paintballs bounce off me like raisins off an Oldsmobile...
My Feedback
Lapco BigShot Assault A5 14"

#23 xxwildbillxx

xxwildbillxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

GoG-eXTCy, on 25 March 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I did actually consider resurrecting my automag but I've been waiting tooo loooong for the day when markers and marker manufacturers would evolve and perfect magazines as a viable option to those giant, bulky and bulbous hoppers we've come to know, love and hate. :D

Edited by xxwildbillxx, 28 March 2013 - 10:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users