#1 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

NO THIS ISN'T CURRENTLY HAPPENING.

So, if for example, I'm on the field, my tank is running low, so I start unscrewing it to hand it off to get filled and I notice the reg is staying in the ASA and unscrewing from the tank. I know I'm not supposed to continue unscrewing it because I run the risk of the tank just flying off. What AM I supposed to do in this situation?

The only thing I can think of is to unscrew the fitting from the ASA and let the rest of the air bleed out, re-Loctite the reg down (using blue?), and I guess rent a tank while waiting for it to dry. Would this be the correct way of doing this? Or is there some other, safer way of achieving the desired result?

Total of 3 questions.
1) What to do if the tank is separating from the reg.
2) What do I use to reattach the reg?
3) Is this just something I'd be better handing off to someone else?

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Total of 3 questions.
Leave it and take it to a pro shop.
Nothing, take it to a pro shop.
Yes

#3 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Uh? Drain the air from the tank, put blue loctite on the threads, and screw the reg back on?

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#4 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

So, if for example, I'm on the field, my tank is running low, so I start unscrewing it to hand it off to get filled and I notice the reg is staying in the ASA and unscrewing from the tank. I know I'm not supposed to continue unscrewing it because I run the risk of the tank just flying off. What AM I supposed to do in this situation?

- Won't happen. HPA Tank Regulators, just like any other air regulators, have small grooves in the threading area to allow air to escape. This starts happening at around 2 turns out of the bottle.

The only thing I can think of is to unscrew the fitting from the ASA and let the rest of the air bleed out, re-Loctite the reg down (using blue?), and I guess rent a tank while waiting for it to dry. Would this be the correct way of doing this? Or is there some other, safer way of achieving the desired result?

Total of 3 questions.

1) Read the part in the red. Just let the air escape and screw the bottle off, then either try and take the reg out of the asa(which should be easy, if it is not stuck since there is no air pressure on it) or 2 have your pro shop take the reg out of the asa if it is stuck in there for some odd reason.

2). Nothing. Blue loctite is something people recommend but it is not needed. In fact in HPA tanks loctite is not required as the air pressure inside the bottle keeps the reg tightly shut.

3) Not really, if it does happen just don;t freak out. Let the air escape and thats it. Thats what the grooves in the reg threaded area are for.

CO2 tanks is a complete different subject though, but there is nothing to worry about regarding HPA tanks :)

#5 Yankee Paintball

Yankee Paintball

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

If you are uncomfortable take it to a pro shop. If you can screw it back on and fill it up, and try again. If that works then drain the tank and tighten the reg with a strap wrench or a torque wrench if you can get it on. 25-30 ft-lbs is the usual standard. If you can just shoot it empty, do that and then tighten it or take it to a pro shop. If you aren't comfortable working on an air tank, take it to a pro shop HPA is no joke.
Connecticut's woodsball field! Bookmark www.yankeepaintball.com Closed for the winter, reopening April 7th, 2012.
Authorized Dealer for CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE,APP and Procaps.
Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email.

"That blew so hard all my old Nintendo games started working again."~Dstyles75

#6 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Most places do not use locktite.

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

- Won't happen. HPA Tank Regulators, just like any other air regulators, have small grooves in the threading area to allow air to escape. This starts happening at around 2 turns out of the bottle.

Total of 3 questions.

1) Read the part in the red. Just let the air escape and screw the bottle off, then either try and take the reg out of the asa(which should be easy, if it is not stuck since there is no air pressure on it) or 2 have your pro shop take the reg out of the asa if it is stuck in there for some odd reason.

2). Nothing. Blue loctite is something people recommend but it is not needed. In fact in HPA tanks loctite is not required as the air pressure inside the bottle keeps the reg tightly shut.

3) Not really, if it does happen just don;t freak out. Let the air escape and thats it. Thats what the grooves in the reg threaded area are for.

CO2 tanks is a complete different subject though, but there is nothing to worry about regarding HPA tanks :)

Well I always have been and still am a little nervous about putting a 4500psi bomb next to my head and chest but this post made me feel a little better, thank you.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 27 March 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#8 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

If you are uncomfortable take it to a pro shop. If you can screw it back on and fill it up, and try again. If that works then drain the tank and tighten the reg with a strap wrench or a torque wrench if you can get it on. 25-30 ft-lbs is the usual standard. If you can just shoot it empty, do that and then tighten it or take it to a pro shop. If you aren't comfortable working on an air tank, take it to a pro shop HPA is no joke.

It isn't so much that I'm uncomfortable with it, but I just don't know the standard procedure. I don't want to do something that I would think to be safe and turns out it injuring me or someone else.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#9 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

It isn't so much that I'm uncomfortable with it, but I just don't know the standard procedure. I don't want to do something that I would think to be safe and turns out it injuring me or someone else.

I can understand that people feel uncomfortable around HPA tanks, however there really isn't any need to be uncomfortable with it. There are several safety precautions build into the Regulator, just to prevent anything to really happen. In example burst disc's when the air pressure becomes to great, Grooves in the threaded area to allow air to escape when it accidentally gets turned loose from the bottle. Blue loctite on the grooves that screw into the bottle just help secure it tighter, but really isn't a requirement and honestly, if you travel alot by airplane or plan to do so, having no loctite on there really helps in turns of screwing in and out the regulator before flying and after landing.

The first time it happens can be a scare though, it's never expected and therefor the sudden rush of air hissing out can make your heart skip a beat haha.

The only time a tank gets dangerous is if you put Oil in the tank itself or in the fill nipple. In which case it can be dangerous as it kind of simulates the effect of a diesel engine and ruptures near the regulator with a heavy flame. Causing you not only to have a severe burn on your hands / arm, it can also injure someone else as the tank will fly off and prolly hit someone.

on a side note, it is perfectly save to use a drop of oil on the Regulator threads that screw into your markers ASA.

You can also look for Techpb-Mike video regarding tanks. One of them covers the oil stuff and the air escape methods etc.

#10 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

I can understand that people feel uncomfortable around HPA tanks, however there really isn't any need to be uncomfortable with it. There are several safety precautions build into the Regulator, just to prevent anything to really happen. In example burst disc's when the air pressure becomes to great, Grooves in the threaded area to allow air to escape when it accidentally gets turned loose from the bottle. Blue loctite on the grooves that screw into the bottle just help secure it tighter, but really isn't a requirement and honestly, if you travel alot by airplane or plan to do so, having no loctite on there really helps in turns of screwing in and out the regulator before flying and after landing.

The first time it happens can be a scare though, it's never expected and therefor the sudden rush of air hissing out can make your heart skip a beat haha.

The only time a tank gets dangerous is if you put Oil in the tank itself or in the fill nipple. In which case it can be dangerous as it kind of simulates the effect of a diesel engine and ruptures near the regulator with a heavy flame. Causing you not only to have a severe burn on your hands / arm, it can also injure someone else as the tank will fly off and prolly hit someone.

on a side note, it is perfectly save to use a drop of oil on the Regulator threads that screw into your markers ASA.

You can also look for Techpb-Mike video regarding tanks. One of them covers the oil stuff and the air escape methods etc.

even though i know its safe to put tri-flow on the threads i still shit bricks thinking about it haha, maybe one day I'll get over it.

Lulzjustacat.png

#11 Phase5

Phase5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Don't do anything, take it to the pro shop.
You can't give advice about something you've never used.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users