• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Xxd3cayxx

Xxd3cayxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

It's for a planet eclipse etha; thoughts?

Edited by Xxd3cayxx, 27 March 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#2 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Stick with the shaft 4 you already have. If you feel that you must spend some money you can just get the boost kit from ans gear for like $65. It will give you 2 more backs to better bore match your paint. But make sure you get the kits for the Etha/etek. The others are for the egos/goes. The one for the Etha comes with .689 and .685 backs while the other kits come with the .685 and .693. Your Etha already comes with a .693 barrel back.
My link D.A.M.Baller321 feedback
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#3 Xxd3cayxx

Xxd3cayxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Stick with the shaft 4 you already have. If you feel that you must spend some money you can just get the boost kit from ans gear for like $65. It will give you 2 more backs to better bore match your paint. But make sure you get the kits for the Etha/etek. The others are for the egos/goes. The one for the Etha comes with .689 and .685 backs while the other kits come with the .685 and .693. Your Etha already comes with a .693 barrel back.

I have the full shaft kit and the freak, but I'm looking to get rid of one or the other, or both and get an ul.

#4 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

The ul is great but if you have the full shaft stick with it.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#5 Xxd3cayxx

Xxd3cayxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

So the freak doesn't compete with the shaft or UL?

#6 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Ok I'm start out by saying I own all 3 barrels that your asking about and they are all great barrels but for different reasons. The shaft 4 has the longest control bore of the 3 and I think that leads to it being a smidge more accurate than the other 2 and all 3 are pretty accurate barrels. The ul has the best porting of the 3 and is definitely the quieter of the bunch. And I think the real reason I like the freak is because its different from what I'm use too.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#7 Xxd3cayxx

Xxd3cayxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Okay, I'm going to try to sell my freak then, I've had it since I first started playing with an electronic marker. I hate trying to keep up with all of the inserts.

#8 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Glad I could help.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#9 GoG-eXTCy

GoG-eXTCy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

I like the UL personally :rolleyes:
Been Playing Paintball for 2 years.... Also recommend me a New Gun For Under $275!

#10 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Ok I'm start out by saying I own all 3 barrels that your asking about and they are all great barrels but for different reasons. The shaft 4 has the longest control bore of the 3 and I think that leads to it being a smidge more accurate than the other 2 and all 3 are pretty accurate barrels. The ul has the best porting of the 3 and is definitely the quieter of the bunch. And I think the real reason I like the freak is because its different from what I'm use too.

I thought we had disprooved the myth of control bore length and accuracy. All three barrels have the same accuracy regardless of low long the control bore is. The ul is absolutely the quietest but it really still depends on the marker you put it on. The freak is best IMO because it is the most "future proof" the shaft and the ul rely on expensive control backs to change their bore size while a freak insert is only $11. So no matter what direction paint sizes go in the future a freak will always work. Freak backs also get really small (down to .675) and ul backs only go to .680 and I'm not sure about the shaft. Personally I would buy a ul keep your inserts and sell your freak then have the ul bored for freak inserts. Then you get a quiet light freak barrel with a dye logo on it for all the agglets.
Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#11 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

I thought we had disprooved the myth of control bore length and accuracy. All three barrels have the same accuracy regardless of low long the control bore is. The ul is absolutely the quietest but it really still depends on the marker you put it on. The freak is best IMO because it is the most "future proof" the shaft and the ul rely on expensive control backs to change their bore size while a freak insert is only $11. So no matter what direction paint sizes go in the future a freak will always work. Freak backs also get really small (down to .675) and ul backs only go to .680 and I'm not sure about the shaft. Personally I would buy a ul keep your inserts and sell your freak then have the ul bored for freak inserts. Then you get a quiet light freak barrel with a dye logo on it for all the agglets.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I may be wrongs because I have only been back in the game for 6 months now due to an involuntary year and a half leave due to personal health reasons. Before I left I thought punkworks determined that a longer tighter control bore lead to a more efficient and consistent shot and that mixed with better paint lead to better accuracy. I also watched a long video with stick to drum and cockerpunk that talked about paint quality that is really worth watching. But as I said I may be wrong. And only told him to stick with the shaft 4 barrel beacause he already has the whole barrel kit and that its going on an Etha.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

#12 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong and I may be wrongs because I have only been back in the game for 6 months now due to an involuntary year and a half leave due to personal health reasons. Before I left I thought punkworks determined that a longer tighter control bore lead to a more efficient and consistent shot and that mixed with better paint lead to better accuracy. I also watched a long video with stick to drum and cockerpunk that talked about paint quality that is really worth watching. But as I said I may be wrong. And only told him to stick with the shaft 4 barrel beacause he already has the whole barrel kit and that its going on an Etha.

Eh, you're kind of both right? If you look in the punkworks forum there's a thread I started about control bore length vs. bore size. Basically the shaft4 vs. freak comparison. The result is that both impact the efficiency and consistency of the marker, but the bore size provides the largest component of efficiency and consistency (assuming you're getting an underbore to within .003-.005). That said, the freak inserts only provide their bore tightening for a portion of what should be the overall control bore length. Therefore they are a crappy solution, but they will likely show more benefit than a Shaft4 that is not underboring or that is underboring outside of the .003-.005 range. Because of where most paint falls in size, you're better off buying two barrels with longer control bores - one in the .678-.680 range and one in the .684-.685 range - to go along with your overbored stock barrel than you are to spend the money on a full freak kit or partial freak kit and later buying the inserts. This will give you the ability to underbore just about any paint out there at .005 or less. Freak is just an inefficient waste that sucks you in with the idea of being able to match an underbore, but ultimately it just leaves you with part of the optimization unaccounted for.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#13 D.A.M.Baller321

D.A.M.Baller321

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

The unfortunate truth about the shaft 4 is that the smallest bore size you can currently get is .681.
My link LNIB Dye D.A.M.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users