• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Camo Ninja

Camo Ninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

I was wondering what are the rules and game mechanics/dynamics of speedball.

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

I was wondering what are the rules and game mechanics/dynamics of speedball.

Im sure Mike Phillips has a video on this, Im on my phone now, but I can find a good video later. If someone else doesnt beat me to it that is. ;)

#3 Spider200081

Spider200081

Member-608 Spartans Dubuque, IA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

The rules will vary a little bit from field to field but the general gist of speedball is this. It is a capture the flag/elimination game usually played with between 3-8 players per team ( depending on field size and exact format) each team will start from their home base. on the start of the game the object is to eliminate all opposing players so your team can capture the flag. Eliminations will be when a ball hits you or your equipment breaking and leaving a paint mark of atleast dime size total. Blind fire is not allowed usually, you must look where you shoot. Also hits to your gun, hopper, pack, ect do count the same as hits to you. This help a tiny bit?

#4 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

They vary field to field, but for recball speedball, it's generally elimination. For tournies, it's usually a flag set in the center of a field which has identical layouts for both sides, so not to give any team any advantage. The overall goal is to get that flag to the other team's 'Home' Both teams start on the back center, or 'Home', on their side, where generally the markers have to be below your waist and/or touching the net itself. The eliminations are the same for nearly all paintball games: Any break on the gun, hopper, pack, etc; anything you have currently ON you, it can get hit and get you out. But if you say, drop a pod, and the pod gets hit, you aren't out unless you decide to pick that pod back up.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#5 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Since everyone touched on rules mostly, I'll go a little into dynamics.

You usually want to play tighter to bunkers. With the lack of soft cover (no branches/twigs/leaves/etc) to interfere with shots, anything that is exposed has a very real chance of getting hit. Experienced players can put a ball on a foot, or a hopper, or a mask hanging too far out.

Communication is going to be crucial. Everyone on your side needs to be communicating what they see, what's going on, etc. It's a fast paced game, and there's little to no time for stopping and thinking through your options. You kind of learn what's a good idea or not by experience. Don't be afraid to mess up on rec speedball play, because it's only a rec game. That's the time to learn the ropes of what works and what doesn't.

Making sure your team has different angles, and being able to cut off areas of the field to the opposing team will be important as well. A lot of players who are new or just ones that play woods think speedball is a waste of paint. It's not that the back guys are shooting a lot of paint at someone, rather they are shooting at a lane (a clear line of sight between bunkers) to keep opposing players from using it and getting to a better position on the field.

Just a few more thoughts. Have fun!

#6 Camo Ninja

Camo Ninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks guys I have seen plenty of videos and always wondered why they shoot so much but now I understand. I can't play in this fashion since a case of paint can cost me 100 dollars plus I only carry less than 200 rounds onto the field. If it is possible I have a few more questions: what is bunkering? What is the snake? How long does a game last?

#7 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Bunkering is a term used when a player runs down the field and shoots an opponent point blank.

The snake is a long bunker made up of many smaller bunkers that runs the length of the field, and is usually played from the prone position.

Games can last anywhere from 30 seconds to over 15 minutes.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#8 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Games last until there's a winner. Some fields have a maximum time limit, but that is going to be on a field-by-field basis.

You'll also hear a lot of other bunker slang/lingo. Some of it is going to vary based on locality, some of it is going to be sort of universal. If you don't understand the terminology the field regulars are using, ask. They'll help you out.

#9 CrowsFeast1

CrowsFeast1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Games last until there's a winner. Some fields have a maximum time limit, but that is going to be on a field-by-field basis.

You'll also hear a lot of other bunker slang/lingo. Some of it is going to vary based on locality, some of it is going to be sort of universal. If you don't understand the terminology the field regulars are using, ask. They'll help you out.

That's one thing I really like about paintball as I am still something of a beginner. So far nearly everyone I have met has been very friendly, and happy to help/explain things to me, such as bunker names.

#10 Camo Ninja

Camo Ninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

The thing is I would love to ask around but nobody plays in said style. The vets are the ones who do the Rambo challenge or the bunny run, or they attempt the lone man assault. That's why I ask you great gurus of paintball otherwise no need for the question right?

#11 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

At the beginning of the game there are two goals, to take out as many people as you can while they are running towards their bunker (sweetspotting) and to get your guys into whatever postions your team has decided are most important.

Lets say you have two five man teams, which is pretty common, but these are the basics no matter what the team size. You might have three guys who right off the break are unloading downfield. They will generally be shooting at lanes they expect the other team to head through, that way as a player comes through he will run through a stream of paint and get eliminated or he will see the stream and decide to not go to that bunker. Or they might be shooting at the guys on the other team sweetspotting so that they get eliminated or stop shooting at your players and find cover. Then your guys can get into their bunkers without worrying about crossing lanes of paint.

Two of them will typically stay in the back and head toward the outside edges (the tapes). They stay on the trigger pretty much constantly keeping people stuck in their bunkers and/or keeping running lanes filled with paint to stop the other team from taking bunkers. They'll also coordinate with the front and mid players to move them forward.

Lets say you're up front in the snake and I'm behind you playing eagle (back upright). You have a guy in front of you that is keeping you in your bunker so you can't move forward. You let me know and I unload on this guy to put his head in so you can move forward. Or you might be sitting quietly in your bunker, then when I see that a guy who could shoot you is looking the other way, I tell you to move up.

The guy in the middle kind of has to do everything. He may need to refill a postion if one of his team mates gets shot out, or he might move forward if he has the opportunity. He can also cover lanes or put someones head in. The mid has to be pretty versatile as there's really no telling what he's going to end up doing as the game develops. One of the big jobs is relaying communication between players.

The front guys usually grab as much ground as they can from the start. Since they get up to the front everyone on the other team is shooting at them, so they don't do as much shooting themselves. The goal here is to get angles on people and do as much damage as you can before they realize you are there, since this is typically the shortest lived position. Sometimes it's good if they know you are there. If you can get into a postion that worries the hell out of the other team because you can shoot them out, they will concentrate on keeping you in your bunker and taking you out. If you have two or three guys on you then that means they aren't paying attention to your teammates, so just by keeping your head down and staying alive you can be helping your team move forward and take positions. If you can't afford much paint but want to play speedball, tbis is the position for you.

Alot of.paint gets shot, but it's all about controlling the field. You want to deny your opponents taking certain bunkers and control where they are looking so you can get your players in position to eliminate them.

#12 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

lane lane lane lane lane lane lane lane, did i mention lane? breakouts and lanning are what give you the upper hand immediately. if you work on your breakout shooting to where you can hit one guy out as he makes his way to his bunker you have now* turned it into a 4v5 before even really going anywhere. paintbullets tend arch down after a certain distance so try to get the feel of where you want to be shooting to make your paintballs actually hit the person instead of plopping at the ground in front of him.

EDIT: oh yea speedball is all about dem angles. the farther you push up as a team WITHOUT getting shot out. the more you have trapped them towards the back of their own end.

Edited by III Kezia III, 29 March 2013 - 02:46 AM.

Lulzjustacat.png

#13 Akkadian_Tim

Akkadian_Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

The vets are the ones who do the Rambo challenge or the bunny run, or they attempt the lone man assault.

Seems like a poor strategy to me. These "experienced" players aren't acting like it, and any group with a little communication/teamwork could eliminate them.

"Lone man" stuff is only good in the woods/really large fields, and only good if there's a big enough group or diversion holding the interest of the other team for your lone guy to get anywhere meaningful.

#14 Camo Ninja

Camo Ninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

The vets are the ones who do the Rambo challenge or the bunny run, or they attempt the lone man assault.

Seems like a poor strategy to me. These "experienced" players aren't acting like it, and any group with a little communication/teamwork could eliminate them.

"Lone man" stuff is only good in the woods/really large fields, and only good if there's a big enough group or diversion holding the interest of the other team for your lone guy to get anywhere meaningful.

I agree with the lone man run not being effective always but sometimes it works. The Rambo game is one player against as many opponents that want to go against him. The bunny run is a way of earning paint.
The thing is nobody plays speedball and I am trying to incite people to play.

#15 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

I agree with the lone man run not being effective always but sometimes it works. The Rambo game is one player against as many opponents that want to go against him. The bunny run is a way of earning paint.
The thing is nobody plays speedball and I am trying to incite people to play.

Tell them it is a post apocalyptic urban milsim scenario field.

#16 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Tell them it is a post apocalyptic urban milsim scenario field.

where all that remains is giant balloons!

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#17 Camo Ninja

Camo Ninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Brilliant idea sirs I will do so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users