17 replies to this topic

#1 Smidiet

Smidiet

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

So a couple of weeks ago I quit my referee job at a field to start working weekends at a pro shop (less pay but more hours) any was I haven't played since I quit at the field and I spend 15-25 hours every weekend cleaning up the back room, fixing guns, and helping customers. I went to my old field today to play and the first thing my old boss asks me is to fix guns that I had fixed before and never got paid for because he messed them up, I kindly told him this was my day off and I just wanted to play and not spend all day working on an autococker if I did I'd put the front block back on my pump. He kept trying to con me into doing free work until he asked me to help two guys chrono both shooting new PE guns ( a geo 2 or 3 and ego 11) I kinda snapped at that point and yelled that it's my day off and if two people want to drop $1200 on a gun they should know the basics of velocity adjustments. From there I left and got lunch with my dad, I came back and played but was I out of line, or after explaining that it was my day off and I just wanted to play was my reaction justified?

Not sure if proper thread placement... Is there an "I yelled at my old boss" subforum xD
Posted Image

#2 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I dont think your boss should be making you work on a day off and yes you're right buying a $1200 marker you should have a basic understanding of how markers work... totally justified

#3 Vhyrus

Vhyrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

I would call this kind of a grey area thing. You are under no obligation to help anyone while you're on your own time, but at the same time it couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes to show those guys how to chrono their guns. You're totally justified about the gun he asked you to fix but I probably would have helped the guys chrono.

Its sort of like tipping at a restaraunt. Are you required to do it? No, but not doing it and making a big deal out of it made you look like kind of an ass.

#4 Smidiet

Smidiet

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

I dont think your boss should be making you work on a day off and yes you're right buying a $1200 marker you should have a basic understanding of how markers work... totally justified

My old boss at that, I don't work for him anymore
Posted Image

#5 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Well your old boss had probably been happy with you in his shop and doing good work, he probably trusts you and thats why he asked you for help. However, I think you went to far in your reaction. Yes it was justified as everyone is entitled to recreation instead of doing work and there for its perfectly justified to Deny work on say a few markers here and there. But is it really to much to ask to help out with Chronoing..

#6 Smidiet

Smidiet

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well your old boss had probably been happy with you in his shop and doing good work, he probably trusts you and thats why he asked you for help. However, I think you went to far in your reaction. Yes it was justified as everyone is entitled to recreation instead of doing work and there for its perfectly justified to Deny work on say a few markers here and there. But is it really to much to ask to help out with Chronoing..

These are two different boss's, I know longer work for the field owner. Yes chronoing wouldn't take long, but he also has referee's there that I know can chrono a gun, but he still feels the need to try and make me do free work
Posted Image

#7 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

These are two different boss's, I know longer work for the field owner. Yes chronoing wouldn't take long, but he also has referee's there that I know can chrono a gun, but he still feels the need to try and make me do free work

Helping players chrono is not a referee's job parse, it should be player courtesy. At my field players help each other do it, though we also have refs. I was only talking about one boss though, your old one. That is why i said, it is justified to deny work from him, to fix markers, for free. However I do think you over reacted on the chronoing part.

#8 Smidiet

Smidiet

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Helping players chrono is not a referee's job parse, it should be player courtesy. At my field players help each other do it, though we also have refs. I was only talking about one boss though, your old one. That is why i said, it is justified to deny work from him, to fix markers, for free. However I do think you over reacted on the chronoing part.

Well when I did work there my job consisted of helping people chrono, fixing things (guns, bunkers, netting, ect) refing games, and getting lunch for everyone. If I still worked there I wouldn't have flipped, even on my day off. But there was atl east two other people who could have helped them (Small field)
Posted Image

#9 Smidiet

Smidiet

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

I guess the thing that really just irks me the most is that it was $1200 markers in the hands of grown men, if it was a kid with a spyder that he just bought I would have reacted different
In my head it was justified but to those around me it may have not been, but now it's in the past and there's no bad blood between my old boss and myself
Posted Image

#10 Billy Badass-RPF

Billy Badass-RPF

Doctor wrote me a prescription, for more cowbell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I would have done the same thing. You rarely ever get recognition for doing things like this while being an employee. Why the fuck should you do it for a place you don't work at anymore. I also agree if you have a 1200 dollar setup, you should know how to use it.
If I didn't buy so many guns for the sole purpose of fondling them i'd be a very rich man.
Am I the only one that when they see FEP QUEST they read it as FAP-QUEST then chuckle silently?
BST TIPX
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217819

#11 fatalll

fatalll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

didn't go too far, especially if he isn't paying you.
http://www.techpb.co...1 - my feedback

http://ptab.it/CUC4 - for good feels

#12 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like what you did was justified by your account of the events.

#13 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Even though I would probably help with chronoing, I understand where you're coming from. At my local field the refs do all that stuff, and if you're not working there you shouldnt be asked to do it. Especially if there are plenty of staff around. If you dont work there you should be treated as any other customer, especially if you work somewhere else.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#14 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

While the situation shows that your old boss trusted you, you were not out of line.
He has staff to do his work, why should he ask you to do work that you're not getting paid for?

Also yes if you're gonna drop $1200 on a paintball marker, you should at least skim the manual before anything.
It pisses me off when people who drop so much money on a marker and they don't know how to handle it.
I baby my markers, low ends. My tank recently got scuffed, I wanted to cry because it was so expensive by my standards.
My "mid-end" marker which is an FEP Quest, I read over the board manual and gun manual over and over, as well as printing it out to have on the field.
Like I said I baby everything because it's hard to come by, and those who treat their high end stuff like trash pisses me off to no end.

sorry for the thread jack though.
Just go to a different field if the ex-boss continues to ask you.

#15 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Did you get any discounts or play for free that day? Are you expecting any discounts from him?

All fields rely on volunteers to survive and I think it's normal to ask the regulars to assist others.

#16 stinkfingr

stinkfingr

time traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Location:Trapped Between The Worlds Of Make Believe, And Large Giant Multi Colored Shimmering Jello Cubes

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Whether you feel you were justified or not, i'd say you ended up getting your point across ... in a very loud and military fashion.

When you quit that job to move onto another, was it a confrontational thing, or were both you and the owner friendly ?

If i am the owner of that paintball place, i probably would have been more than just taken aback by a former friendly employee yelling at me, and at alienating customers by basically calling them too stoopid to enjoy the sport of paintball. they may have been adults and had expensive markers, but their financial means doesnt necessarily reflect their playing skills or their marker maintenance skills. they were just there to enjoy the day also and try to "fit in" with the ther guys, not to be ostracized by a disgruntled former employee.

while i do think he overstepped his bounds by continuing to hound you, i would be greatly surprised if he ever asks you to do anything for him again after your outburst ...

were you justified ???? could it have been handled differently ??? what does it matter,... what happened, happened. it can't be taken back, you can only move on and learn from your experiences

#17 TJO

TJO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Did you get any discounts or play for free that day? Are you expecting any discounts from him?

All fields rely on volunteers to survive and I think it's normal to ask the regulars to assist others.

This all our regulars volunteer when we can

#18 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yeah, you come off as an asshole in this post... But you had the choice to help or not, its not like you had to. But it would have been nice to help people out.

Edited by XxJellyFilledxX, 01 April 2013 - 09:13 AM.

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users