• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Blomblom919

Blomblom919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hey guys, I would like to record some videos of me playing a little bit of paintball at my local feild. I do not have the money for an expensive GoPro or anything of that nature. Got any ideas on how to mount a inexpensive digital camera on a marker? (Wrapping it in ductape is not a valid answer)

Edited by Blomblom919, 03 April 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#2 Matrixrail_Louie

Matrixrail_Louie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have a go Pro hd hero 2. I just purchased a handlebar mount that is sold for the go pro around 10$. Then I just put the handlebar mount on the barrel. It works amazingly
Posted Image

2012 Proto Reflex Rail & Empire z2 for sale- http://www.techpb.co...0

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

There isnt going to be an answer except buy a dedicated action camera like a Replay, Contour, GoPro, etc.

#4 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Most cameras you buy will come with some form of attachment, just adapt it to fit. For a barrel cam you want a camera with the narrowest viewing angle possible, its no good having something like a 180 degree lens because all you will get is footage of the barrel and not be able to see the things you are shooting.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#5 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

It would be helpful to know your budget. You cab get a sony action cam for 200ish

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#6 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

There isnt going to be an answer except buy a dedicated action camera like a Replay, Contour, GoPro, etc.

Why not just make your own, its what I did. Most of those camera's require you to buy a specific mount that is nearly 50 bucks a piece. for the Replay, the best mount available for paintball markers is from greg hastings and he charges a whopping 70 dollars for one. Insane prices.

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

#8 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

Why not just make your own, its what I did. Most of those camera's require you to buy a specific mount that is nearly 50 bucks a piece. for the Replay, the best mount available for paintball markers is from greg hastings and he charges a whopping 70 dollars for one. Insane prices.

Its $240 for the R7 Replay 720, which comes with a ton of different mounts IIRC.

And what happens when your cam takes a shot and doesnt work? Dont expect the warranty to cover paintball damage. Even Contour, a dedicated action cam company doesnt warranty against paintball impacts.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 03 April 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#9 Blomblom919

Blomblom919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

I was more focused on the how to mount a camera part. I got some fairly good answers though. Thanks to all. It seems I'm just going to have to Wing it and create something

#10 fatalreaction

fatalreaction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

another option is the RAP4 Land warrior cam... it's what my team uses and we haven't had a problem thus far, i will concede that picture quality isn't the best but it's held up very well

#11 ivera23

ivera23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I just picked up the replayxd 720 on amazon for 150.00. You cant beat that price. The camera works great and very small. It is smaller then the gopro. The package comes with several differwnt mounts you can use on your mask.

#12 ivera23

ivera23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

I just picked up the replayxd 720 on amazon for 150.00. You cant beat that price. The camera works great and very small. It is smaller then the gopro. The package comes with several differwnt mounts you can use on your mask.

#13 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

:tup: Best action cam for paintball IMO.

#14 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Its $240 for the R7 Replay 720, which comes with a ton of different mounts IIRC.

And what happens when your cam takes a shot and doesnt work? Dont expect the warranty to cover paintball damage. Even Contour, a dedicated action cam company doesnt warranty against paintball impacts.

That was my first reaction to, but I emailed Replay and asked them about it, as there greg hastings edition clearly states it can survive a paintball hit. They said they will cover it.

#15 ivera23

ivera23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

That was my first reaction to, but I emailed Replay and asked them about it, as there greg hastings edition clearly states it can survive a paintball hit. They said they will cover it.

I have the replay xd 720 and i only paid 150.00 on amazon its a great price. I have used it several times amd it has been hit several times and it still works like a champ. Its made out of metal not plastice so it can take the hit.

#16 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think I misunderstood your first post. I think the Replay is great for paintball too. Did you mean you just made your own mount for an action cam?

#17 CrowsFeast1

CrowsFeast1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

I think I misunderstood your first post. I think the Replay is great for paintball too. Did you mean you just made your own mount for an action cam?

Go Pro and Sony Action Cam (what I got) both have protective covers which will survive a paintball hit. They should both be covered, but even if they aren't you can get a replacement cover for a lot less than the camera.

Edited by CrowsFeast1, 04 April 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#18 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Go Pro and Sony Action Cam (what I got) both have protective covers which will survive a paintball hit. They should both be covered, but even if they aren't you can get a replacement cover for a lot less than the camera.

Yeah I was thinking that someone meant they made their own mount for a normal digital camera or something.

The Replay is still best IMO due to the mounts and low profile.

#19 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Yes, I made my own mount for the Replay XD1080. It beats paying 70 bucks for the R7 mount that greg hastings developed.

http://img.photobuck...zps355447e3.jpg

Edited by Syrellaris, 04 April 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#20 ivera23

ivera23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yes, I made my own mount for the Replay XD1080. It beats paying 70 bucks for the R7 mount that greg hastings developed.

http://img.photobuck...zps355447e3.jpg

I wish i would have made my own i paid for the mouny but i have to admit it is worth it. It holds the camera tight and i love the low ptofile.

#21 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

My Hero: Bobby Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I have seen a guy take a paintball hopper (with a squared off-ish nose, not rounded like a standard shake and shoot), cut a hole in the end, put some plexiglass in there, then what you could do is put velcro on the inside of the hopper/on the bottom of your consumer-camcorder so its secure. Also make sure the plexiglass, or other clear material, is thick enough so it doesn't break. Then the guy had paintballs in the back end so put a divider in there. Now that I think of it, he might of made some sort of extension for the front of his hopper, similar to a pinokio, I cant remember for sure but that is an option.

DM12, 2011 Alien Independence, V3 Rotor, Empire 68/4500

#22 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

I wish i would have made my own i paid for the mouny but i have to admit it is worth it. It holds the camera tight and i love the low ptofile.

Well, mine is maybe not extremely low profile but it works. It is designed for the exact size of the barrel and the cam, so it sits tight and has no room for movement.

#23 Danny D

Danny D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Check out the Polaroid line of action cameras. They are cheap, and come with all the mounting hardware you need. I've got the xs 100. It's awesome, and has survived some pretty bad abuse.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users