• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RepublicUnicorn

RepublicUnicorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hi all, Nabil from newly formed Team Psyched. I wanted to ask. Everytime I play paintball, I always stretch before game but it's just the usual warm up stretches. Although I stretch, guaranteed I'll be sore as hell the day after. Sore completely. I play as a Backman and a Snake Insert. I'm 15, 69kg and 170cm in height. I asked my captain why it happens and he said I don't stretch enough or didn't stretch completely. What do you guys think?

#2 crich775

crich775

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Most people don't hold stretches long enough, 60 seconds per side/per stretch is usually good. Personally I stretch at the end of the day as well during my cool down. Keep in mind that not consuming enough protein post exercise can cause aches as well.
Rest In Peace Jacob Espindola 1-12-07
OEF Vet 2011-2012, Combat Infantryman Badge Recipient

#3 RepublicUnicorn

RepublicUnicorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Noted. We just treat ourseleves to A&W post game :P

#4 Sin_Ister611

Sin_Ister611

Dude with a gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

stretch between games as well, just small stretches like your calves while you're filling pods, lunges to the start box, etc. pretty much whatever you're doing at any given time (shy of sleeping) there is a way you could be stretching something.

#5 LPill504

LPill504

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

There are two types of soreness. (In my humble opinion.) Muscles Soreness: From working hard on the field, your muscles are full of lactic acid which causes soreness, this is normal for athletes. Just consume more potassium and make sure you get a multivatmin.Posted ImagePosted Image At-risk-for-injury Soreness:Posted Image the bad type of soreness that keeps coming back after all that ibuprofen or icy hot. These are the types of pains that are strains, pulls, or other injuries. They can get much worse if you don't take some time off or go see a doctor. (no joke, I tore cartilage in my shoulder from working out and only made it worse by working through the pain.) Not trying to scare you just dont want that happening to anyone else! Be careful not to over stretch, that can just cause more problems. Make sure you're doing all of them right and that you hold them for a good 15-20 seconds. Also, as the guy said above, protein intake can cause prolonged soreness. Drink a gas station protein shake or eat alot of A&W haha! Hope this helps!Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

^ Very true.

In my experience:
sore muscles = ok if you were active beforehand
sore joints = not ok at all

#7 That_guy097

That_guy097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Before you play do active stretching. (Lunges, zombie walks, high knees, but kicks, etc)

Throughout the day keep warm and active. Don't necessarily let your muscles rest. When your not playing walk or something to keep moving.

At the end of the day do you static stretches. Do not hold a stretch for a set amount of time rather you should stretch until you feel the muscle start to relax.

above all else HYDRATION!!!!!!!

Edited by That_guy097, 06 April 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#8 LPill504

LPill504

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

^ Like he said HYRDATION ! Not just water, electrolytes to avoid cramps, and the less likely, heat stroke.Posted ImagePosted Image http://www.dicksspor...oductId=3994036 and other such products added to water, or any beverage you'd like will help you stay hydrated and in tip-top playing condition ! Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 G.prime

G.prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

It is important to warm your muscles up before you stretch. Light jog or some other type of light exercise for ten minutes or so befpre you stretch ruduces chance of injury and soreness afterwards.

#10 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

I ,make sure my thighs are stretched out like a mofo. I also stretch my ankles and shoulders... once in a while I will stretch my wrists out too.

#11 RedShirt2008

RedShirt2008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

My stretching consists of:

Stretching my legs by straightening my legs and bending over to touch my toes, 2 sets of those for 10 seconds
I then sit on the ground and stretch my groin with butterflies, 2 sets 10 seconds each,
I then place one leg tucked in and the opposite straight out and I reach for my toes, 2 sets of 10 seconds on each side,
I stand back up and I stretch my abdomen by holding interlacing my fingers behind my back and lifting up, 2 sets of 10 seconds.
Then placing my hand in the middle of my back and reaching over with my free hand and pull my elbow down I stretch my shoulders, 2 sets of 10 seconds.
Finally, I interlace my fingers again this time in front of my and push as hard as I can in front of me stretching my upper back, again 2 sets of 10 seconds.

Only time I get sore is when I haven't played for a while.. In Alaska I get 3-4 good months to play outside on a regulation field so I get fat in the off season, but I tend to take leave around Cup and go home to Florida.. I'm 21 years old, 5'10" and 160 lbs.. I play every position on the field and have no problems with soreness. Even the larger guys that are on the team aren't sore after stretching like that..

Edited by RedShirt2008, 26 April 2013 - 09:22 PM.

Years Played: 7 Years
Position: Anywhere a Gun is Needed
Marker: Geo2.1 with Rotor or Z2 and GA 48/45 or Ninja 68/45

Team: 907 Paintball House Team

United States Air Force

#12 yzeem

yzeem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Sorry but I just finished my B.S in Exercise Physiology and stretching isn't going to help with soreness at all. Soreness is caused by micro tears in the muscle tissue, lactic acid plays NO part in soreness. Also their is evidence that stretching before an explosive activity, like a breakout, actually decrease performance, you could be slower and less explosive. And when the military studied stretching as injury prevention they found that there was no significant difference in the amount of injuries between the group that stretched and didn't stretch. The only real way to prevent soreness is to keep working out and get in better shape.

#13 G.prime

G.prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

So are you sayong that stretching has no positive affect

#14 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

Pretty much
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#15 yzeem

yzeem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

So are you sayong that stretching has no positive affect

Well for helping with performance, yes it has no positive affect. Stretching does help with flexibility but you can actually be too flexible and become just as likely to get injured as someone who isn't flexible. So dont aim to be able to put your leg behind your head. Hell there is even research coming out saying dynamic, explosive stretching, you know the bouncing everyone and their mom tells you not to do while stretching is actually the best kind of stretching

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users