• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

So recently after considering a few months about this, I have decided to purchase a firearm to do some simple target shooting this summer. (when I say "I", I really mean my parent would buy it, I already got the OK). With a budget of less than $500 what would be a easy shooter that is reliable, simple, and takes ammunition that doesn't cost a fortune. Being a eagle scout, I am not unfamiliar with firearms and have fired them on numerous occasions, but have yet to own one myself. My family already owns numerous rifles so maybe a handgun? I honestly am at a loss on this one(meaning brand, type, and caliber) and am just looking for another hobby this summer. Just looking at a hobby I can enjoy doing research on and making informed decisions(I love this stuff, like paintball, cars, and electronics). All input is greatly appreciated.
Super Nintendo, Sega Gensis, when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this.
-Biggie Smalls
Learned the hard way not to use a speedfeed when its raining. 8/6/11

#2 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Whoops I forgot to add I have a min. wage job, so technically I don't really have a budget, it would just take some time to get whatever amount of money I need.

EDIT: and I also do understand that right now isn't the greatest time to purchase a firearm :P and I can wait for a better time if need be to save money... if that time ever comes ;D

Edited by Twinkletoes, 11 April 2013 - 06:38 PM.

-Biggie Smalls

#3 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,778 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I honestly wouldn't even bother trying to buy a firearm right now, especially with your low budget. Wait for the times to get better, and prices to normalize a little, before you start hunting for one. You can keep your eyes and ears open for now, but don't get your hopes up.

What caliber do you want? Do you want a shotgun? A rifle? A pistol? If it's a rifle, do you want semi-auto? Pump action? Bolt action? Single shot?

If it's a shotgun, do you want it to be pump action? Semi-Auto? Double barreled?

If it's a pistol, do you want it to be semi-auto? A revolver? How many rounds do you want it to hold?

Do you want a .22? 9mm? .357 SIG? .40 S&W? .45? 20 gauge? 12 gauge? 10 gauge? .223? 5.56? .338? 30-06?

My advice is to do research, lots of research. Find out exactly what you want, before you think about buying something.

#4 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yeah after already having done some research I realize Im still in early stages. Another few hundred isnt hard to raise, I can do it in a few weeks, but I would rather start researching now then having to start my search from scratch when I do have enough $$$ . I wasn't planning on making a purchase until school is out, so I have a few months until then(after some math, I can manage into the thousand range) but I wanted to start looking at stuff now and maybe get a few ideas thrown around.

Edited by Twinkletoes, 11 April 2013 - 07:37 PM.

-Biggie Smalls

#5 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

http://www.ruger.com...get/models.html

Awesome, fun, inexpensive, target gun. You can't beat 22LR for plinking.
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#6 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I can shoot currently this summer a 16 gauge Ithaca, .3030, or your standard .22. So I'm leaning handgun or small-caliber rifle. Not a real fan of shotguns. And the .3030 is lever action. Not a fan of that either.
-Biggie Smalls

#7 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Kel tec makes a good one too. 30 rounds per magazine!
http://www.keltecwea...pistols/pmr-30/
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#8 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

For plinking, nothing beats 9mm

Cheap rounds, manageable recoil, it's a great first shooter

Also, don't look past Military Surplus guns, like the Makarov. The Makarov uses 9x18, instead of the traditional 9x19 9mm. They are awesome shooters, very reliable and very cheap.

Posted Image

If you are looking for self defense, a very simple yet extremely reliable is just a basic, 5 shot 38 special. Taurus makes some great ones for cheap, and 38sp rounds are everywhere as well. Single and Double action, nothing beats a basic wheelgun for carrying. When in doubt, just keep pulling the trigger, it'll fire

But I definitely agree with waiting a little while till things calm down. Everything is SUPER expensive right now, guns, ammo, everything is nuts. So I'd wait a few months till everything calms down, then start shopping. Also, many gun ranges let you do a "gun tour", where you can fire several different guns from revolvers to semi autos. It may cost you $50 to do it, but that sure beats the depreciation you'd face trading a gun in that you bought on impulse.

Another thing is to check your local gun stores and sporting good stores, and see what they are stocking. It would be pretty silly to buy something like a .357 Sig, and then you can't find the ammo anywhere.

#9 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm probably not going to get into serious shooting until summer, so by then if I save up a decent amount of cash (lets say $1500), I feel that it would be worth it much more. I'm also trying to be conservative because I could easily just roll out to my bank and come up with a few thousand I already have saved, but I feel it would be better that I EARNED it. Sometimes its kinda neat to be a teen and save up for nice things before I'm burdened with having to pay for my own utilities, food, kids, and house.
-Biggie Smalls

#10 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Marlin 795. .22 is all you need for a firearm if you just want to do some basic target shooting. And it's cheap as F.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#11 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for your great responses! I'm going to probably lean 9mm or .22 and have narrowed my sights probably at handguns. I'll probably check back in the next few weeks as I continue research and possibly submit other ideas to the community :)
-Biggie Smalls

#12 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Ruger SR22 is my vote on a handgun if you choose to get one. While 9mm is nice, but its also a lot more expensive to shoot than a .22
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#13 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Another recommendation for .22s from me.

If you want a handgun a Ruger MkII or 22/45 or a Browning Buckmark are two of the best for the money ($400-500).
For a budget rifle, Savage MkII rifles are superb and I got mine a year or so ago for the low price of $125!

If you want something big bore, look surplus. I recommend the Mosin Nagant series for cheap and fun.

For shotguns, Mossberg 500s are cheap and reliable.

But the best thing to do by far is go to the local range and rent stuff if you can. Figure out what you like or don't like and go from there.

Good luck dude!

Edited by Watcher, 11 April 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#14 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

H&R makes what they call a handyrifle fantastic single shot rifles
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#15 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Ruger Mk II(or 3) with a pac-lite upper is a VERY light and super smooth .22 pistol. This is my go to gun for most anything when it comes to plinking pop cans and such(wouldn't be a bad self defense gun either(especially when there is a can on it) Early stages for pistols the .22lr is a really great to practice with since it wont break the bank(good luck finding it though) or even a ruger SR22.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users