22 replies to this topic

#1 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

So I saw something like this on the Nation so I decided to bring it here.

Pretty much I'd have a mechanical ion rigged to a fishing pole, powered by 12 gram oxygen cartridges, here -> http://oxy2go.com/

So anyways at the tip of the pole would be the launching device for the hook. When I open the valve it fires the hook out, and adjusting the velocity would determine how far it would fly.

#2 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

You would have to make a cartridge fit your lure/ hook in you couldn't just shoot a hook it wouldn't go far and I'd use a material that floats well for the cartridge that away it dubbles as a bobber

As far as how to mount an ion to a pole I'm going to have to do some thinking on this one.
Ironmen Timmy for sale
http://www.techpb.co...9

#3 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

As far as how to mount an ion to a pole I'm going to have to do some thinking on this one.

Zip ties and/or duct tape.

#4 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

So, a Rocket Fishing Rod?

I think it would be cool to make one out of a paintball gun, but it might not be worth the time and effort. At the very least, this video should give you some ideas.

And why not use c02 cartridges? They are much cheaper and easier to get.

#5 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Yeahp Except I want it to launch further and have a stronger pole for fish bigger than a goldfish.

And I don't want to run C02 through the Ion reg.

#6 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

It will be fine it's bad to use co2 and high rates of fire don't think this will see a high rof
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#7 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Just spend that money on a good rod and learn how to cast. I can throw my 1/4 ounce cast master longer than I'll ever need on a 8-9 foot salmon rod. even for a comparatively light bait (rapala floating minnow) on a shorter bass rod, I can get it out far enough to make it work. For Freshwater, casting far has never been a problem for me. If you and into surf fishing, that's another story. but i've seen guys with surf rods throw out 3-400 on a great cast. In short, you're over complicating a very simple process, practice. If you want any fishing advice, do not hesitate to PM me, I've been doing it all my life.

Cattle die, kinsmen die all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#8 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

What if I'm not the target consumer?
What if I'm building this for someone who can't throw out a line?

#9 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just spend that money on a good rod and learn how to cast. I can throw my 1/4 ounce cast master longer than I'll ever need on a 8-9 foot salmon rod. even for a comparatively light bait (rapala floating minnow) on a shorter bass rod, I can get it out far enough to make it work. For Freshwater, casting far has never been a problem for me. If you and into surf fishing, that's another story. but i've seen guys with surf rods throw out 3-400 on a great cast. In short, you're over complicating a very simple process, practice. If you want any fishing advice, do not hesitate to PM me, I've been doing it all my life.

Think this is one of this jus cus I can projects

And it would have its nitch in fishing ie. people with a handy cap that can't cast
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#10 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Think this is one of this jus cus I can projects

And it would have its nitch in fishing ie. people with a handy cap that can't cast

Ok, well you're gonna have five main problems,
1. if you use some sort of Sabot round to incase the lure, you will lose it every shot. If you attach it to the line, you will ruin the action of the lure.
2. if you do use an Ion, you will not be able to fit most lures down the barrel for anything larger that a pan fish or small trout.
3. if you use a Paintball gun, the whole guns/markers in public space thing.
4. The actual volume of air that an Ion puts out will not send a lure very far.
5. Some lighter baits will lose energy so fast it won't matter what you shoot them out of, they won't get far.
what you need is a pneumatic spud gun, a easily made biodegradable sabot or bobber system, heavy line to withstand force of launch, and a good reel.
30-60 bucks for the spud gun (sprinkler valve)
5-10 for sabot or bobbers (need more than one)
20-30 for braided line in 30-75 lbs
10-ish for leader of 4-16 lbs line
60-200 for a decent-good reel
7-10 for hardware, wires, and battery for valve
5 for PVC solvent and sandpaper
20-50 for compressor, bike pump with gauge, or other air source.
30-150 for a fishing pole
5-20 for hooks, shot, lures, and other doodads (swivels, weights, ect.)
It's gonna be expensive assuming you don't have most of this on hand, but doable. You will spend a lot of money to build a worse fishing pole. If that's what you want to do, please be my guest.
On the topic of handicapped people, if someone cannot physically cast a rod 20 feet (you can catch tonnes of fish 20 feet out), they are gonna have a very hard time playing the fish back in assuming it is larger than 4 lbs. If this is truly for a handicapped person, go on a deep sea fishing trip. same price as building (even less sometimes)and no casting is required. Again, I'm happy to talk about fishing all day =)

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#11 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

I can go buy a rod and real combo for 15 -20 bucks at walmart so 300 + for a rod and real is a little over board. your not going to want a open face or bait caster for this. they will both nest up, alls you need is a little closed face real.

And I have no idea where you are getting your sprinkler valves. I use to lay systems and they are only about 10-15 bucks.

So lets re do your list.

10 15bucks for the spud gun (sprinkler valve)
5-10 for sabot or bobbers (need more than one)
Free use the line on the real for braided line in 30-75 lbs
Not needed for leader of 4-16 lbs line
15 20 for a decent-good reel rod Combo
7-10 for hardware, wires, and battery for valve
5 for PVC solvent and sandpaper
20 use co2 with a on off and a gauge
5-20 for hooks, shot, lures, and other doodads (swivels, weights, ect.)

Now we got a list of parts that look more reasonable ,100+ 40 for fuck ups and other snags in this project.

That sounds a lot better than the 545 that you quoted.
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#12 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

545 was the very highest price possible. I assume he already has a rod/real. Ugly stick makes killer 50 dollar or under combos, that's what I recommend for all new fishermen. I figured the OP might want to build a mid ranged rod a reel as this is a good thing for all fishermen to have done. A baitcaster with be slightly better/easier to handle because of the way the spool faces.
At my local hardware store, sprinkler valves in 3/4 inches are 15-20 dollars. It is also small and familly run so prices might be higher than Home depot. Then add the 9 volt battery holder, battery, 2 inch diameter pipe ,fittings and mess up costs (Bike valve, shoe goe for sealing things). I don't think 30-60 is unreasonable, 60 is definitely on the higher side.
Now one thing I have learned from my time on spud gun and nerf gun forums is NEVER USE CO2 IN PVC. Since CO2 cools things as it expands from liquid, It can chill the PVC making it brittle and thus more likely to produce shrapnel in the event of a tank failure. It's not worth it. I think 140 is very optimistic and 545 is buying the absolute best everything. (Rapala lures run 8-10 dollars each in most medium large sizes)
If you are planning to go after trout, salmon, or any sight hunter fish, a leader will vastly improve your chances of getting a bite. Whenever I go after wild trout, I always run a 4 foot 4 lb leader.
When I got equipped for my Klamath river trip and had to buy a new rod, reel, and salmon tackle, I spent 120 dollars easy. That's just me, I fish alot. Oh and don't forget 40 bucks for a licence if you are over 16. If I were building this from scratch, I would expect to have paid 200 total with a 40 dollar reserve just incase I ruin something.
I want to see this put into action. Please don't confuses my sceptical tone for anger, neither you or the OP has done anything to upset me. I want to help, that's why I recommended a spud gun. My spud gun with a 2 foot by 2 inches pvc tank, spring loaded ball valve, and 60 psi in the tank, sends a ping pong ball size projectile faster than the eye can see. It cost me (in 9th grade) about 50 dollars to build it completely.
Good luck, I can point you in the direction of some good spud gun plans if you need em, Spudfiles is a great resource.
Please excuse any spelling errors, I am Dyslexic.

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#13 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm not mad eather I am just verry argumentative lol
The spud gun is a great idea better than useing an ion now as far and not useing co2
If you use all PVC I guess that woul be bad idea. now they do make fittings so you could use a steal pipe air camber and neck it down to PVC. A guy I use to work with built one like that and made a paint all cannon He modified a solo cup to hold some paintballs it was like a wad in a shotgun shell. This design worked verry well . Now if you want to go all PVC you could use a air tank to charge it I'd use schedual 40 that would solve the cold issue
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#14 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I agree, I think a metal chamber would do just fine.

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#15 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

I may have to go to lowes and pick up a few items and then steal my ole ladies fishing pole sence I don't want to fuck mine up lmao and actually do this
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#16 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Almostpanda do this ! I want to see it dun and I am back in the road so I can't! For a while
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#17 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

I need all my rods on salmon duty, I lost my old favorite on a white water trip. Really shouldn't have gone for that last cast. I do have that spud gun laying around.... and a bunch of 10lb flouro..... and a extra real.... Ok work might begin tonight. :rolleyes:

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#18 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Yes ! I demand pictures
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#19 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Need to grap spud gun because it is at a friends house.

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#20 Bunneh

Bunneh

Weekend Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

This would be a great idea to try on my friends Ion before I need to return it to him, sadly I don't think he would really appreciate the creativity and time put into such a feat. But that is quite an interesting idea... for a lot of money.

#21 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Almost panda brought up the point that a ion or any paintball marker would not have enough force / volume to shoot a set up out verry far but a spud gun would

Now panda what are you thinking as frr as a way to make the set up heavy enough to get out there but not decrease the performance of the lure ?
Ironmen Timmy for sale

#22 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

So uum finals suck, so does learning Hex, so I don't have time to build this right now. I was thinking like using a heavy lure like a steel spoon, we shall see next week.

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#23 moon

moon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I wish I had some time I got shut down in Washington so now I'm 2000 miles from any of my tools and it will be like that for a little while lol
Ironmen Timmy for sale

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users