NPPL as we know it is done.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

THE NATIONAL PROFESSIONAL PAINTBALL LEAGUE'S Surf City USA Open came to Huntington Beach for the 11th year in a row and the results have been overwhelmingly positive. 115 teams, 30 vendors and over 50,000 spectators enjoyed the perfect Southern California weather for the industries number #1 event.

"The City of Huntington Beach called me right after the event ended for congratulations and wanting to lock in the event for the next few years. I want to thank all our players and staff for making the HB event fantastic." Chuck Hendsch, NPPL

On the heals of the successful HB event the NPPL has decided to evolve and refocus its energy on growing the sport of paintball by serving as the true Governing Body for the sport. The NPPL will move away from running their own events and instead sanction other promoters to run and operate the events.

"My passion has always been to grow the NPPL brand and the sport of paintball. By passing on the operation of the events to a different event company it allows me to concentrate on the true mission of the NPPL." Says Hendsch.

The NPPL has signed an exclusive licensing contract with Paintball Promotions Inc to operate and run the National NPPL events. PB Promotions will begin immediately getting ready for the remaining 2013 events. Teams and sponsors should see a seamless transition in all departments.

PB Promotions has evaluated the venues and dates for the remaining previously announced events and unfortunately will need to make some adjustments.

The remaining 2013 NPPL schedule is:
June 7-9 Northeast Open OXCC - Chesapeake City, MD
August 9-11 Chicago Open - Paintball Explosion - Chicago, IL
October 4-6 Las Vegas Open - Las Vegas, NV

"When PB Promotions reached out to Valken to tell us about the new plan and direction for the NPPL we were very excited, especially with the decision to bring the next two events to quality paintball fields like OXCC and Explosion. Paintball fields are the lifeblood of our industry and they are two of the best in the country. Valken continues to put our support behind the NPPL events and look forward to three more great events in 2013." Gino Postorivo President & CEO, Valken Sports.

More information will be coming soon. Keep checking back to www.NPPL.com or call 714-758-7575 for details and to register for the next event in Chesapeake City.

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,671 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

It's pretty much Valken running things for NPPL events now, if I'm reading this correctly.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#3 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

That appears to be correct. I'd throw Gino in there as the money, and Shawn Walker as the man actually running it.

#4 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

?!

PB Promtions? Who the flak cannon is that?

#5 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

In a nut shell - Valken.

#6 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

wonder how long it will be now, when Valken sells the NPPL to the PSP

#7 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

So what I'm hearing is eventually PSP semi format?

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#8 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,671 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

No, the PSP is not involved in this at all. The format is not changing, the style is not changing, just a different person/group at the head of it all.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 17 April 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Fear is the mind-killer

#9 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Paintball Promotions Inc is different than Paintball Sports Promotions.

#10 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

No, the PSP is not involved in this at all.

maybe Valken and the PSP made a secret backroom deal ages ago for the day this happened. :dodgy:

I'm actually kind of sad the NPPL is all gone. This is the league I grew up with... remember the days Naughty Dogs, Bushwackers, All-Americans, Dynasty, Stoned Assassins, and Bob Longs Ironmen used to run around just walloping on each other.

#11 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

It's not really gone, not yet. It's... under new management essentially. From the release, they speak as if the NPPL is taking more of a hands off role, and letting PPI assume control over operations while they become "the governing body of the sport".

Interpret that as you will.

#12 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

My NPPL is all gone.... :(

anyways, I really do hope the NPPL and PSP have a HUGE Slug fest next year with constant mud slinging.... Competition is only good for this sport.

#13 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,671 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Guys, the NPPL is not gone, just under different management, essentially.

Fear is the mind-killer

#14 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

It was a joke wook.. :)

but I really do hope there is bad mud slingning, not as far as people getting hurt or Families destroyed but as far as "Buying" teams and splitting up teams... oh hell yea!

#15 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

It's almost as if the NPPL is going full circle back to what it was like before the PSP/NPPL split.

Governing body, and the people actually hosting/promoting the events.

#16 Aaron Woodley

Aaron Woodley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

maybe Valken and the PSP made a secret backroom deal ages ago for the day this happened. :dodgy:

I'm actually kind of sad the NPPL is all gone. This is the league I grew up with... remember the days Naughty Dogs, Bushwackers, All-Americans, Dynasty, Stoned Assassins, and Bob Longs Ironmen used to run around just walloping on each other.

Man i feel you so much is going on in the sport its hard to know what good and whats bad, but i will miss the old nppl.. and i hope we dont all go 12.5 ramp.....getting away from this will save us.

Edited by Aaron Woodley, 18 April 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#17 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Considering the snit that NPPL got into with Social Paintball to start the season, new management for the league can only be a good thing.
Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#18 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Considering the snit that NPPL got into with Social Paintball to start the season, new management for the league can only be a good thing.

:tup: That's for sure.

#19 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

No, the PSP is not involved in this at all. The format is not changing, the style is not changing, just a different person/group at the head of it all.

I know, but this is a bit like Gorbachev's reforms and the INF treaty, the beginning of an eventual end

Edited by asthmaticrhino, 18 April 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#20 BrownChickenBrownCow

BrownChickenBrownCow

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Paintball Explosion is my home field and I can't even fathom where they would set up the fields for Assn event this size. The have an indoor field and the rest is pretty much recball. It will be interesting to see.

#21 spankopotomous=paintball

spankopotomous=paintball

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I wish PSP would just adopt the Surf City Huntington Beach event... It is one of the best venues for exposing paintball to the public! And its a heck of a lot of fun!

SPANKO TO THE RESCUE!!! My Feedback +23/0/0

#22 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

PSP is going to Riverside CA..

#23 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,671 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

From the NPPL account themselves:

Some truths...

The NPPL is still owned by the NPPL ( the pro teams) and that will never change.

The NPPL was run by a sizeable group of volunteers and now it has contracted a logistics company to promote and run events.

Teams and sponsors will see a seamless transition in events (other than location changes).

This will ensure better run events with better value for teams, players, spectators and sponsors.

The new direction will continue to include the NPPL board, Chuck, Pev, and the Pro teams.

So no, this isn't the end, or the beginning of the end, or anything changing. When a company hires a new department head, is the company suddenly going out of business or changing its ways?

Edited by andrewthewookie, 18 April 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Fear is the mind-killer

#24 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

See the thing is... I don't think most people care anymore. Lol that's the whole reason I have said for the past 2 years the NPPL is a sinking ship. Just compared to PSP nobody cares.

Edited by Schuppert3, 18 April 2013 - 03:10 PM.

yea I kept seeing banner ads for asianbeaver.com until I cleared my cache

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#25 Trend on me

Trend on me

What is the "member" you speak of?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

I went Surf City 2 years ago had a great time sadly i live 30 minutes away but i go to school in Virginia so missed it LAME!!!!

2s5zath.jpg

My Feedback
Positive:2. Neutral: 0. Negative: 0

#26 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

This news makes me is joy even more seeing that this is the series they won in :(
109.gif

#27 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

The thing that you need to understand, is that the NPPL can go on for DECADES without "going out of business"

As long as the entries they get, covers the costs of the event, the NPPL is FAR from going out of business.

Will it ever be the glam-rock league that it was in 2004? With 130 booths and 600+ teams? No, but the PSP isn't pulling those numbers either

And if Gino from Valken bought the NPPL, he's going to invest a ton of cash into it and make it a SERIOUS contender. Anyone who knows Gino, that guy is as hardcore as anyone in paintball in regards to spending "fuck you money". And if you've followed how the PSP has dicked around with him lately, he's going to push the NPPL hardcore

This is all speculation, I don't personally know Gino, I've shaken his hand twice in my entire life, once in 2004 at the National Paintball Supply tent when I bought a Bob Long Alias for $1,400 and just a couple months ago at World Cup

It doesn't take that much money to make a HUGE splash in paintball

#28 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Wouldn't doubt if Gino put the Cash prizes at absolute ridiculous amount. something that would dwarf anything the PSP could match.

#29 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

Joey summed it up well.

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#30 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

^Yeah but money talks. Let Gino unload his unlimited bank account on the NPPL and we'll see teams wanting prizes like $100,000 or so.

#31 Justbunkeredyou

Justbunkeredyou

That one airballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

This is good I condone it now i hope it merges with psp at some point.

Edited by Justbunkeredyou, 01 May 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#32 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

^ I hope it doesn't.

I want healthy competition, teams ripped apart, mud slinging... it will make tournament paintball interesting to see how each league one ups the other.

Could you just think about if NPPL made a Cable TV Prime Time slot? Like Watching Huntington Beach or World Cup on a 6 o'clock spot with outside sponsorship? I think most teams would drop what they are doing and cram into that chance to make prime time Television for the world to see... it CAN happen

#33 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

It really baffles me that people inside of paintball, want to see a league go under for their own convenience and peace of mind

The PSP only makes 4 or 5 stops a year, it's like taking a wall sized map of the USA, and using a sewing needle to poke 4 small holes into the map and say "paintball was showcased at these 4 places"

When paintball was at it's biggest, in 2004 (when it was about 5 times the size that it is today), we had two leagues showcasing paintball throughout the year

"I just wish the NPPL would go away" is such a throat slicing comment to anyone who cares about paintball, I can't even begin to describe it.

Maybe in regards to profits it matters, but in regards to the entire paintball indsutry, it's a throat slicing comment.

If we lose the NPPL, that means that the tournament side of paintball, will be 100% controlled by the PSP and it's partners. The ONLY thing keeping the attitudes of the PSP in check, is the fact that the NPPL is in the shadows, and that competitive teams have an alternative (and vice versa)

It would really be a tragic time in paintball, is the NPPL folded up completely.

#34 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

^Wasn't the NPPL only competition like the UXPL?

Also most Teams will never step onto a psp field, Ever... most "tournament" paintball is usually held at a local level.

#35 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

This is good I condone it now i hope it merges with psp at some point.

This line of thought is bad, this is very very bad.

Tourny paintball is organized like no other sport out there. NFL, NBA, baseball. It's pro's or nothing. This whole merge for legitimization I couldn't give two flying fuckings shits about. The people who benefit from it are pro players, or about 150 people (if that). I don't fucking care if the sport is legitimate in the eyes of the public if it's to damn expensive to play in them (it already costs a fucking ton to play a national event). If the PSP and NPPL merge guess who it will hurt. Joe blow D3 team. Prices will go up, venues will go down. That is about it.

As a AM player I want competition among the leagues because they want my money. Myself the consumer, benefits from competition between the two. PSP fucks you over go play in the NPPL and vice versa. I can do a whole rant on this but I won't.

Edited by drexler, 03 May 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#36 untaimed_deciples_2162

untaimed_deciples_2162

tengo choro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

man I feel you the golden age of paintball when it was the good ol boys in blue (dynasty) and ron kilbournes bushwackers and cant forget about rocky knuth heading the naughty dogs I miss those days so much back when the nppl was king and everyone wanted to play 7 man airball
my name is unt aimed as in i dont aim i sparay and pray like choro

#37 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

^Don't Forget Rusty "The Ninja" Glaze and Chris LaSoya on Infamous.

#38 gorgeousllama

gorgeousllama

THE LLAMA.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

If the NPPL was to sell out to the PSP, it would be a monopoly. The PSP could do anything they would want... For example. If the NPPL would sell out to the PSP, and lets say that the PSP would have some substantial argument, say with, DYE. Now, the PSP could say no more rotors. Bam. We HAVE to follow them because there is no place to go. The NPPL is the alternative to the PSP. You have a place to go if you dont like the PSP. Same goes the other way. It would be utter chaos if that was to happen to the NPPL. No way that would work.

Axe Pro, Spire, 68/45 Ninja, Virtue Vio

Feedback
+12/0/-0

#39 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

If the NPPL was to sell out to the PSP, it would be a monopoly. The PSP could do anything they would want... For example. If the NPPL would sell out to the PSP, and lets say that the PSP would have some substantial argument, say with, DYE. Now, the PSP could say no more rotors. Bam. We HAVE to follow them because there is no place to go. The NPPL is the alternative to the PSP. You have a place to go if you dont like the PSP. Same goes the other way. It would be utter chaos if that was to happen to the NPPL. No way that would work.

Also the world could explode tomorrow... Haha seriously that is just dumb. I get when people say the competitive prices thing but there are thousands of affiliate leagues that keep that in control too. Saying they shouldn't merge because of potential rules is just dumb. Why would that be something anybody would be worried about? I personally don't care one way or the other if the NPPL stays there. Im just saying nobody pays attention to it and the teams that play it at least on the upper pro leagues are not real pro teams and the NPPL shouldn't call them professional. What the NPPL does with the business I couldn't care less about.

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#40 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Although I agree. They would never have an argument with dye for 2 reasons,
1. Dye owns a majority.
2. The rotor is the hopper on the logo of PSP
109.gif

#41 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Although I agree. They would never have an argument with dye for 2 reasons,
1. Dye owns a majority.
2. The rotor is the hopper on the logo of PSP

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wrong again, fish. That looks like a Halo/Prophecy and a Revvy.

#42 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

it should go back to the Autococker/E-cocker. :(

#43 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members