• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'm new to the sport and looking to invest in a full setup. I came across a deal locally to pick up a slightly used (twice) Empire package that includes all of the essentials with a few extra items. I'd like to get a second, or tenth opinion on it before I purchase and also get some recommendations for soft goods. All gear is Empire brand.

The package includes:
Axe - Black
Prophecy Z2
Carbon Fiber Tank (unknown size)
E-Vents
Harness 5+?
Rolling Gear Bag
J&J Ceramic Barrel set
Tank Covers
Pods
Pod Loader

The price is $750.

It sounds like a great deal, and I've seen pictures of some of the items. The marker, mask, hopper and tank are scratch free from what I saw. I plan to play mostly woodsball and scenarios so I'd like to pick up some camo and at the very least a set of good knee pads, but maybe other padding as well. Can I get some suggestions for the protection and where I should look to buy this stuff online?

#2 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Pants, Eclipse or Dye Pads, and a pod pack.
After that, you're set to go own!

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#3 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Pants, Eclipse or Dye Pads, and a pod pack.
After that, you're set to go own!

I'm assuming when he said harness he meant pod pack because of the 5+ So I think he's fine there.

But yeah that actually sounds like a good price for all of that. The pads orange mentioned are all great, if you have a shop anywhere nearby I would go there to try them on and buy. If that isn't an option, ansgear.com has all of those brands and you can select which you prefer.

#4 Toxin PB

Toxin PB

California Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Great, but like orange said you cshould invest in pads

#5 PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yeah I definitely want to get knee pads at a minimum since I've already put my knee down on things I wish I didn't. I also want to get some BDUs or paintball pants and a shirt that come in camo. I've looked at the Dye, PE, Valken and Empire lines so far. It seems almost overwhelming looking at all of the different gear you can buy for paintball. If I'm playing in the woods primarily are slider shorts and the other pieces worth investing in? Do people get decked out in pads and then cover it with regular BDUs? I'm still trying to decide what I'll be wearing, and since it's getting warmer now I don't want to end up hot and sweatier than I need to be.

Edited by PhoenixFire, 19 April 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#6 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah I definitely want to get knee pads at a minimum since I've already put my knee down on things I wish I didn't. I also want to get some BDUs or paintball pants and a shirt that come in camo. I've looked at the Dye, PE, Valken and Empire lines so far. It seems almost overwhelming looking at all of the different gear you can buy for paintball. If I'm playing in the woods primarily are slider shorts and the other pieces worth investing in? Do people get decked out in pads and then cover it with regular BDUs? I'm still trying to decide what I'll be wearing, and since it's getting warmer now I don't want to end up hot and sweatier than I need to be.

Slider shorts add a little more protection from nasty shots, which is nice. That being said, you won't die without them. A lot of people rock pads and a t shirt when it warms up in order to stay a little cooler. Personally I'll wear a jersey all year round because I like the possibility of getting a few more bounces due to how baggy jerseys are, plus the little bits of padding. At the very least I would definitely get paintball pants, a good pair such as empire contacts. They'll give you more protection, more bounces, and protect the family jewels like regular pants don't.

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

IMO no need for the barrel kit, although the J&J is a very nice barrel.

#8 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Id switch it for a disruptive kit. And pants, disruptive pants.

Edited by Orange Chicken, 19 April 2013 - 11:03 AM.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#9 PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

IMO no need for the barrel kit, although the J&J is a very nice barrel.

The barrel kit is part of the whole package so I'll be getting it anyways. I wasn't sure if I should use it, or just run with the stock Axe barrel. I've read all sorts of different barrel discussions and watched videos until I can't stay awake any longer. In the end I'm sure my skill level isn't high enough for it to make much difference yet.

Right now my priorities are:
1. Get the gear
2. Go play

#10 Cj R

Cj R

TechPB's Grazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Dye core arm pads (run small), Empire or Dye pants, and cleats.

Feedback http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=219021 2/0/0
The best customer service is the one you don't have to call in the first place.

#11 stefan_rj

stefan_rj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

I personally prefer a Rotor over the Prophecy, but that's just me. This looks like a solid setup though.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users