• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 tjmartin37661

tjmartin37661

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

So I was at the field last night and this guy. probably about 20-22 years old, had jsut about every piece of padding you could imagine. Bounce vest, elbow pads, padded gloves, neck protector, padded jersey, knee pads, paintball pants, and slider shorts. Is it just me or is it over kill?

P.S. he was complaining about how it hurt when he got shot in between the pads :huh:

#2 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well the neck protector is overkill, but it makes him feel confident, why not? I roll everything there but chest protector and neck protector.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#3 5ozofpain

5ozofpain

FUS RO DAH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Well if it hurts him then why would he want to get hurt? If he has that much padding then he doesn't want to get hurt. Nothing is wrong with that.

Feedback I LE AXE 

EKK ELITE

#4 iNicker

iNicker

Amazing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

you can never have too much protection.

#5 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I wrap myself in bubble wrap, tape pillows on me, then 2 sweaters and 2 sweatpants. Can't forget my jumpsuit either!

P.S 5 beanies and profits work very well

#6 ivera23

ivera23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I think its overkill i always to play in some camo pants and a black tshirt. However now i play with paintball pants cause i like the padded knees and a paintball jersey cause it helps bounce paintballs.

#7 stinkfingr

stinkfingr

time traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Location:Trapped Between The Worlds Of Make Believe, And Large Giant Multi Colored Shimmering Jello Cubes

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

i used to do a lot of outlaw "factory ball", and there were a couple of dudes that would come in every weekend with several pairs of sweat pants, and a life jacket under a hoodie ... we would all laugh, including them, and they were great guys .. i still run into them every once in a while ... then there was another guy who would wear lots of layers, and he would wear some sort of small shoulder pads, almost like football shoulder pads, but not as bulked up, under his layers of shirts

it really didnt make any difference, they were all there like us, to have a good time and be able to come back the next weekend.

#8 gnarlee

gnarlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think it is helpful I wear most of that for bounces and helping with the pain is nice also

#9 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

You're not playing paintball unless you're coming home with welts. My problem with this is bounces. Padding the hell out of yourself to the point it's difficult for an opponent to get s break on you is cheating, plain and simple.

Edited by dosh, 20 April 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#10 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

No, he said its painful. The point of the game is to tag the opposition out without getting out yourself, not get welts and get hurt. If padding increases his confidence and lets him play more, the good on him!

#11 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

To each their own, personally I find padding way too hot, so I try to wear as little padding as possible, and I do pay for it in welts, cuts and bruises. But as long as he isn't breaking any rules I don't see why he shouldn't.

#12 Etek3am ftw

Etek3am ftw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Well the neck protector is overkill, but it makes him feel confident, why not? I roll everything there but chest protector and neck protector.

how is a neck protector overkill. in my opinion it protects the 2nd most important part on your body (besides face and head). i dont know how it feels getting shot in the adams apple and i also dont want to know. i mean if you get shot in the arm or body its not important but the neck is kinda important. this is all my opinion.

#13 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

how is a neck protector overkill. in my opinion it protects the 2nd most important part on your body (besides face and head). i dont know how it feels getting shot in the adams apple and i also dont want to know. i mean if you get shot in the arm or body its not important but the neck is kinda important. this is all my opinion.

Getting shot in the neck is pretty rare

#14 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Also, its not even that bad. Neck protectors are just really hot and uncomfortable. They're not that useful. Neck shots hurt, but its not like a piece of metal is flying to your jugular.

#15 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Most neck shots I've seen break the skin, some people have jobs in which the must look presentable. So a neck protector makes perfect sense for some.

#16 Etek3am ftw

Etek3am ftw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

ohh. i never thought of it that way. but its mainly just personal preference.

#17 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

I like knee pads for when I do slides, I like elbow pads for when I dive. That is the extent of my padding though. I think if someone likes to have padding, then why not, but none of it is ever necessary.

#18 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

You're not playing paintball unless you're coming home with welts. My problem with this is bounces. Padding the hell out of yourself to the point it's difficult for an opponent to get s break on you is cheating, plain and simple.

How is it cheating if the padding is readily available to you and others around you?

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#19 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

How is it cheating if the padding is readily available to you and others around you?

If I shoot you and your padding is able to bounce a shot that otherwise could reasonably be expected to break, that is cheating. In fact just one step short of wiping. You have circumvented the the main point of the game by denying your opponent a legitimate elimination. Bounces from say, elbow pads I can see.they are ubiquitous and serve an important function. Thickly padded shirts, vests, multiple layers, no.

#20 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

If I shoot you and your padding is able to bounce a shot that otherwise could reasonably be expected to break, that is cheating. In fact just one step short of wiping. You have circumvented the the main point of the game by denying your opponent a legitimate elimination. Bounces from say, elbow pads I can see.they are ubiquitous and serve an important function. Thickly padded shirts, vests, multiple layers, no.

So by your logic, elbow and knee pads are also cheating.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#21 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

i personally just want some leg padding for slides and such, because i dont mind being shot anymore. in fact im starting to like it. but when my girlfriend comes here/i go there shes going to want padding when i force her to play. good thing i have the JTs :)

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#22 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

So by your logic, elbow and knee pads are also cheating.

No, if you reread what I posted you will see I excluded arm pads and by extension knee pads. There has to be a little bit of leeway to allow protection from serious injury. A welt is not serious injury. By your logic allen keys are available to me and everyone else, so using them to turn up the velocity on the field should be understandable. I'm pretty sure that's not where you were heading with your arguement though so I took what you said at face value. If you don't mind give me the same courtesy.

#23 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well thats why in tournies they dont allow chest padding unless you're a female. But in recball? Really? Why the hell not? I use swords and hit people out with it. Do you see it working in tournies? No. Does it count as an out in tournies? No.
This is recball we're talking about.

Im not a doctor or anything, but im going to diagnose you with the case of the Pissies, and going to prescribe you chill pills. Take them twice a day, for 4 months, and come back if you're still finding yourself angry about the little things.

Edited by Orange Chicken, 20 April 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#24 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#25 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

I will never understand why anyone would want to limit their mobility with padding, but to each his own I guess.

I love you.

#26 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Well it depends what padding you use. I have yet to feel being restricted by elbow or knee padding.

#27 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

The only place I wear padding is my knees . My jersey and my pants give me all the 'protection' I need other than that. To be honest I don't even mind getting shot anymore.

Posted Image

#28 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well if you played in Arizona...

#29 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

I will never understand why anyone would want to limit their mobility with padding, but to each his own I guess.

Most padding worth wearing is light and very flexible.

#30 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

Chest pads and overly padded jerseys are overkill, especially in recball. I agree fully with dosh. The point of the game is to not get shot, not to make the paintball bounce when you do get shot.

If it isn't padding to protect you, it shouldn't be used

#31 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

I'm not sure how someone could think padding is cheating, it's not like its against the rules to wear padding. As long as it doesn't exceed a certain thickness.

Wearing pads and wiping aren't even remotely the same, wiping, is against the rules of the game. Wearing pads, is not. Pretty simple.

#32 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

one could never have enough padding!!

Posted Image

#33 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

Too much padding is something i've been thinking about recently, especially now since i finally got a padded jersey and elbowpads. The things is, at my local field we shoot some pretty shitty rec paint if i'm being perfectly honest. Even without padding and whatnot i still got bounces left and right all the time.

I feel like it's going to be too much of an unfair advantage, although i'm not letting go of the elbowpads, i've scraped up my elbows to many time while playing paintball now :P

Edited by Carolus Rex, 21 April 2013 - 04:01 AM.

o8qo.jpg

#34 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

You want to wear padding go right ahead I cant make you not wear it. Ive actually seen people hide because of the pain next game put on some pads and boom playing 100% better
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#35 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Well thats why in tournies they dont allow chest padding unless you're a female. But in recball? Really? Why the hell not? I use swords and hit people out with it. Do you see it working in tournies? No. Does it count as an out in tournies? No.
This is recball we're talking about.

Im not a doctor or anything, but im going to diagnose you with the case of the Pissies, and going to prescribe you chill pills. Take them twice a day, for 4 months, and come back if you're still finding yourself angry about the little things.

I can't believe I'm having to defend an arguement that centers on being a good sportsman.

#36 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'm not sure how someone could think padding is cheating, it's not like its against the rules to wear padding. As long as it doesn't exceed a certain thickness.

Wearing pads and wiping aren't even remotely the same, wiping, is against the rules of the game. Wearing pads, is not. Pretty simple.

It's a matter of ethics I guess. I'm with you 100% on it being ok as long as it doesn't exceed a certain thinckness. I'd put that thickness at 1/4" max, excluding elbow and knee pads. I'd go way beyond that for first time players or little kids. Once you start playing regularly though it's time to drop the shenanigans.

#37 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

It's a matter of ethics I guess. I'm with you 100% on it being ok as long as it doesn't exceed a certain thinckness. I'd put that thickness at 1/4" max, excluding elbow and knee pads. I'd go way beyond that for first time players or little kids. Once you start playing regularly though it's time to drop the shenanigans.

And what if this player is a business person, or other person that must look presentable, and cannot be littered with bruises?

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 21 April 2013 - 08:19 AM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#38 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

And what if this player is a business person, or other person that must look presentable, and cannot be littered with bruises?

Wear a long sleeve shirt to work or get creative with make up to hide any welts you can't cover. If that's not possible then find another sport. This is the same problem they have with tattoos.

#39 Syrellaris

Syrellaris

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Oh please there is nothing wrong with padding. I wear paintball pants, knee pads, ellbow pads, bounce vest and a beanie. Hell, Sometimes i wear my Predator predlocs. It isn;t against the rules and the balls still break, so what is the big deal.

#40 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Wear a long sleeve shirt to work or get creative with make up to hide any welts you can't cover. If that's not possible then find another sport. This is the same problem they have with tattoos.

i would rather cover myself in pillows and bubble wrap than leave paintball.

#41 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Oh please there is nothing wrong with padding. I wear paintball pants, knee pads, ellbow pads, bounce vest and a beanie. Hell, Sometimes i wear my Predator predlocs. It isn;t against the rules and the balls still break, so what is the big deal.

Well if staying in the game at all costs instead of actually finding out if you are the better player than that guy you are snap shooting with is more important to you, pad away. This whole conversation reminds me of one I had to have years ago with the younger players on my team. Except that one was about why wiping is still wrong even if the guys we were playing against were all doing it.

#42 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Well if staying in the game at all costs instead of actually finding out if you are the better player than that guy you are snap shooting with is more important to you, pad away. This whole conversation reminds me of one I had to have years ago with the younger players on my team. Except that one was about why wiping is still wrong even if the guys we were playing against were all doing it.

padding rarely ever gets you bounces in tournies. the paint is so fragile it wouldnt bounce off anything. its safer to just call yourself out and not risk a 1 for 1. and some people dont like the sting of thick recball paint. i dont mind it much. Shit when my girlfriend starts playing shes going to be all padded up and stuff i bet. and thats fine because in the end, if the person is having fun and not wiping, it has been a good day

#43 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Chest pads and overly padded jerseys are overkill, especially in recball. I agree fully with dosh. The point of the game is to not get shot, not to make the paintball bounce when you do get shot.

What Happens if you call yourself out anyways if you hear and feel the bounce? I Wear a bounce jersey because I bruise easier than a peach... But when I hear that "smack" which is a VERY distinctive sound, I get up and take the walk.... has my chest protector made an unfair advantage for bounces? Not really.. I've only taken around 6 Bounces with my shirt and 4 of the hits I called myself out.

For god sakes people we play paintball to have "FUN" This place is starting to make paintball sound like serious sport, which I highly doubt any of us pay our bills by what we win at paintball.

#44 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

It's not like you can't take bounces off of your lense, and hopper. (both have happened to me) If you want breaks on pads, buy better paint.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 21 April 2013 - 10:03 AM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#45 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

i don't wear padding simply because it is hot and frowned upon at the fields i play at. I also don't play recball, just tournament ball with the practices for it where excessive padding is not allowed. The only padding i do wear is elbow pads for dives.

#46 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

padding rarely ever gets you bounces in tournies. the paint is so fragile it wouldnt bounce off anything. its safer to just call yourself out and not risk a 1 for 1. and some people dont like the sting of thick recball paint. i dont mind it much. Shit when my girlfriend starts playing shes going to be all padded up and stuff i bet. and thats fine because in the end, if the person is having fun and not wiping, it has been a good day

Padding isn't allowed in any reputable tournies. Also the paint isn't always super duper fragile Ultra Evil or Chronic 420.

#47 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

What Happens if you call yourself out anyways if you hear and feel the bounce? I Wear a bounce jersey because I bruise easier than a peach... But when I hear that "smack" which is a VERY distinctive sound, I get up and take the walk.... has my chest protector made an unfair advantage for bounces? Not really.. I've only taken around 6 Bounces with my shirt and 4 of the hits I called myself out.

For god sakes people we play paintball to have "FUN" This place is starting to make paintball sound like serious sport, which I highly doubt any of us pay our bills by what we win at paintball.

You're a good man. And you're right, it is for fun. In my mind that means getting eliminated isn't so serious that it requires me to disrespect my opponent and try to get around the spirit of the game. I'll be back on the field in another 15 minutes or so after all.

It's not like you can't take bounces off of your lense, and hopper. (both have happened to me) If you want breaks on pads, buy better paint.

That's true. I'd say that the litmus test would be that if your padding can defeat a medium grade paint at a medium range shot, it's probably too thick.

#48 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

All I wear is a t-shirt, a harness, a thin pair of football gloves, and military pants with built in knee pads.

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#49 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

^In all honesty that's all you really need. I'd get some elbow pads(sometimes shit happens)

#50 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

^In all honesty that's all you really need. I'd get some elbow pads(sometimes shit happens)

When I get a job I'm going to get a pair.

Oh! I forgot, I also wear a cup.

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users