19 replies to this topic

#1 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

So I have turned to the PC side . I recently played Crysis 3 on my PS3 on a 1080p Tv and then Farcry 2 on low settings on my laptop and Farcry looked way nicer. It was a life changing experience. I now realize that PC is the master race. Now I want a desktop to play my games. I need some help though, I am getting ~1k to make a computer . I need some help on what to get. I have the resources to build it but I could also make and buy one on Ibuypower. So what do you guys think I should get?

PS the cards need to have HDMI connection

Posted Image

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Nvidia is a waste of money this generation, so go with AMD. Across the board the AMD cards perform better for the same money, as a user, the Nvidia technologies like adaptive vsync, FXAA and Physx are all utterly worthless and do not justify the price one bit, especially considering the AMD Never Settle bundle will net you a couple of free games, something thats actually of use. A 3570k CPU is as fast as it gets for gaming so no need to go more expensive, and if you go cheaper you can't overclock, since its the cheapest K series. Asrock Extreme 4 the cheapest good mobo that supports overclocking.

I'm not sure of US pricing, but you should be able to get a 7970 (if it comes to too much, a 7950 Boost is quite a bit cheaper but not that much slower), Asrock Extreme 4, 3570k, decent 500w PSU plus all the other crap for about $1000.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Almost any newer video card will support HDMI inputs and if it doesn't it isn't worth your time. I would suggest the 7950 or 7870 to be honest. Neither are slow cards by any means and are in the middle of the price range that your budget will afford. I would suggest the AMD Vishera line of CPU's. You can get a nice hex core 3.5Ghz processor for around 140$ which can take some overclocking. They've been solid since coming out and you can use Asrock Extreme 4 AM3+ mobo. Get some nice RAM and a PSU and maybe a solid state drive and you'll be sitting right around your budget.

#4 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

My face when you pay 2/3 of the price for the same computer components compared to the prices over here.

Posted Image

The guys above pretty much summed it up, good luck with your build.

Edited by Carolus Rex, 22 April 2013 - 02:47 PM.

o8qo.jpg

#5 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the help guys

Posted Image

#6 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I don't know what happened with my post, it went all crazy...

Here's my latest build:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's an Intel i5 3570k CPU sitting on an EVGA Z77 FTW motherboard with 16G of Corsair Vengeance RAM. It's also running 2 EVGA nVidia GeFORCE GTX570 GPUs in SLi (basically you tether 2 cards together and they act as one).

Powered by a Corsair HX1050 power supply, and is sitting in an Antec TwelveHundred full-tower with 7 120mm fans and a 200mm fan for airflow. The CPU is cooled by a Corsair H70 sealed water-cooler. I also have an uninterruptable power supply (UPS, basically a battery backup for power surges/outages and blown fuses. Lifesaver since you can save and shutdown normally before the battery runs out, no damage to the PC, your info, and your sanity), 2 monitors, some stereo speakers, a Steelseries Siberia V2 headset, a Steelseries Merc Stealth keyboard, and a Coolermaster CM Storm Inferno mouse.

The grand total for everything was about $2000. It handles BF3 on ultimate at a decent jog, but I'm sure it'd be at full sprint trying to run Crysis3 at maximum. According to the System Lab Requirements website, I pass recommended settings but have quite a ways to go to reach the optimal level.

I did have an older PC and I was well in need of an upgrade. I was able to keep the human interface devices, the UPS, and the tower. I needed new hardware and a new power supply.

Started off looking at second-tier CPUs, got a damn good motherboard for it so I could add and upgrade GPUs for quite a while as well as overclock the CPU a whole bunch, and set it up with a decent amount of high speed RAM (32G was about the max, I got 16G which is more than enough). I got the MB for REALLY cheap, got it with a rebate, and got it even cheaper since I bought a CPU at the same time. Basically got it for half the MSRP. The RAM also had a $20 rebate.
Still, these ran me almost $500...

I also needed to upgrade my wireless card, which was about $40, my power supply, which I found BNIB on eBAY for $160, and my GPUs, which I bought off a friend for $350 for the pair. Then I got the water cooler on sale and with a rebate, it's ordinarily about $70 but I got it for, IIRC, $40.

The total for all the new items? About $1100.

That's not even including an operating system, hard-drives, disc-drives, or the cost of games!

So, my recommendation for you as a first time PC user is to start with an older system that at least meets the minimum requirements for the games you want to run. Don't be afraid to look used, a lot of hardcore gamers will sell their old systems off for really cheap. I bought my first system back during BFBC2's reign for $500. It was just the tower (no mouse/keys/monitor), and it ran BFBC2 very well for quite some time until BF3 came out, and it even served me quite well for several months playing BF3.
During the upgrade I saved up and got the CPU/MB/RAM/wireless card all at once. Installed it with the old GPUs until I could afford the new ones, then ran on the old PSU until I could afford the new one (it just barely ran my system, too).
Stretched it out so I could afford it, and now it's great system! Not the best, but who can really afford to keep up with the latest games?

Good luck man!

Edited by Watcher, 23 April 2013 - 08:15 PM.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#7 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Alright so I've just put the specs I want onto the IBP customizer , http://www.ibuypower...n_D857/w/168614 (Might build it myself or I might just buy it off the site)

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

#8 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Check out this site http://pcpartpicker.com/ Anyways yeah, I built one a year ago for just under 1k. 6870, i5 2500, 8GB RAM... it plays everything I want it to. Now you can get more for the money(obviously). Whatever you get you should be fine, I recommend AMD graphics, intel CPU, corsair PSU, WD for HDD, Samsung for SSD and other than that it doesnt matter too much.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#9 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Alright so I've just put the specs I want onto the IBP customizer , http://www.ibuypower...n_D857/w/168614 (Might build it myself or I might just buy it off the site)

What do you guys think?

I'd suggest picking out the parts yourself if you can, if you go that route you'll get a reference (shitty) GPU. You also don't need a 3770k if you are just gaming, and go for a H60 (2013 model preferably) over the 'Intel' cooler, whatever the hell that is.

#10 Charlie_Paintballs

Charlie_Paintballs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

http://pcpartpicker....parts/partlist/

Here. This will play just about anything you throw at it. No more than 8gb of ram is needed to game. i7 3770k Won't benefit you while gaming. H100 will keep this cool indefinatly. I saw your I buy power bull crap (No offense to you, pre-built pc's in this gen are a rip off) you had a price of about 1.3k You could lower the build I made by swaping the 7970 for a 7950.

#11 Charlie_Paintballs

Charlie_Paintballs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Nvidia is a waste of money this generation, so go with AMD. Across the board the AMD cards perform better for the same money, as a user, the Nvidia technologies like adaptive vsync, FXAA and Physx are all utterly worthless and do not justify the price one bit, especially considering the AMD Never Settle bundle will net you a couple of free games, something thats actually of use. A 3570k CPU is as fast as it gets for gaming so no need to go more expensive, and if you go cheaper you can't overclock, since its the cheapest K series. Asrock Extreme 4 the cheapest good mobo that supports overclocking.

I'm not sure of US pricing, but you should be able to get a 7970 (if it comes to too much, a 7950 Boost is quite a bit cheaper but not that much slower), Asrock Extreme 4, 3570k, decent 500w PSU plus all the other crap for about $1000.

Nvidia GPU's are great for some games. Others just seem to like AMD better. Nvidia is better if you have the money, AMD is just more budget.

#12 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nvidia GPU's are great for some games. Others just seem to like AMD better. Nvidia is better if you have the money, AMD is just more budget.

Not sure I agree. Take for example 680 vs 7970, the 7970 is faster, and cheaper, same goes for 670 and 7950, 7870 LE and 660ti etc. Plus, AMD cards come with a whole host of free games. Only downers are the fact that they consume a tiny bit more power and Crossfire looks to be crap, considering alot of review sites are coming out with testing that shows that despite it increasing frame-rate, the perceivable smoothness of the game isn't actually improved because the extra frames are only a couple of pixels high, so you never see them.

#13 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Current Radeon cards dominate nVidias latest generation. Cooky is correct.

#14 TheMajorFB

TheMajorFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

Go to linustechtips forum and go there and ask away and check out linustechtips on youtube

#15 AntiRob

AntiRob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc has builds and people can help you out with choosing parts at http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme

#16 TheMajorFB

TheMajorFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hey xgc nice joke nvidia wins get an geforce gtx 760 when it comes out

#17 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

Posted Image

So this is being put together as we speak. Got this on one of the daily sales on IBP. Some things may seem like overkill but all of the overkill stuff came as a free or very cheap upgrade. :D I decided to not purchase an i7 with overclock ,I don't think I'm experienced enough yet to toy around with that.

Posted Image

#18 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Posted Image

So this is being put together as we speak. Got this on one of the daily sales on IBP. Some things may seem like overkill but all of the overkill stuff came as a free or very cheap upgrade. :D I decided to not purchase an i7 with overclock ,I don't think I'm experienced enough yet to toy around with that.

Totally jelly right now, gonna save up a majority of my money this year, will hopefully build some time after christmas.

o8qo.jpg

#19 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

You should probably cancel that and get an aftermarket graphics card and a K series processor.

#20 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

NewPCYEHAHAH_zps93e55b90.png

So this is being put together as we speak. Got this on one of the daily sales on IBP. Some things may seem like overkill but all of the overkill stuff came as a free or very cheap upgrade. biggrin.gif I decided to not purchase an i7 with overclock ,I don't think I'm experienced enough yet to toy around with that.

If you already bought there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, however the i7 3770k is all you could ever possible need. The LGA 2011 sockets are kind of overkill for anything, period. The i7 3770k is overkill for 99% of things, period. You could easily go down to an i5-5370k

Edited by PandasEverywhere, 30 June 2013 - 10:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users