22 replies to this topic

#1 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

So I've noticed a few things about paintball lately... I feel as though it's nearly back from it's Height in 2004. When I go to my normal field there is always more than 7-10 people there. Utah just had it's largest scenario game ever(400+ people) and either it's me getting more into the sport than I ever have or the game around me is actually growing... Every time I see these "big games" there are so many people not just a few handfuls... and their are now multiple huge scenario games per year in the U.S.

Either I'm eating into the conspiracy of paintball -NOT- Dying or it actually is going through a... Synthesis right now, where a lot of our older companies are either floating by more for "custom shop" type feel and the big companies now are dominating the sport with the ability to pump out markers for a fraction of what old school prices would charge. I mean could you imagine how much a Marker like the Luxe would charge for back in the mid 90's? It would definitely start of with a 2 or a 3 with three other numbers behind it.

I for one Feel paintball is NOT dying, it's going through a Synthesis right now, that the "old school" feel is all but dead now and this newer age of production and marketing has complete control.

Edited by Panda Man, 21 April 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#2 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

I'm seeing alot of old school come back. I'm also seeing players return after being on hiatus for several years. It looks to me like the game has made a switch that's pushing more towards rec/big game/scenario type play while speedball/tourney type is in the back seat.

#3 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'm seeing alot of old school come back. I'm also seeing players return after being on hiatus for several years. It looks to me like the game has made a switch that's pushing more towards rec/big game/scenario type play while speedball/tourney type is in the back seat.

Speedball has never been the actual money maker for paintball at all, Scenario and Rec Ball has always been the lucrative parts of the sport. While the UXPL, NPPL, PSP, Millennium would love to push that Speedball be the forefront of the game, people have more of an enjoyable time playing in Scenarios and just dinking around at their local field. The biggest push for Speedball to be the main stream for our sport was back in 2002-2005. It Fizzled terribly.

But I do agree with you, I'm seeing a ton of older people getting back into the sport after years of being out. Hell one guy I ran into at Battlefield took a 17 year Break and is now back out playing with his RF Autococker and just had a blast like he did back in the 90's.

Edited by Panda Man, 21 April 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#4 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Regardless, I still believe tournaments should be at the tip of the spear for bringing paintball back. It doesnt have to be big at all, just the tip, the part that sticks to people, first. Show it as a sport.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#5 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

The hard thing about paintball is the sport is similar in age as a lot if the people that play it. As we mature as players and go through transitions in our live the game will change as well.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#6 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm liking where the game is at now anyways.

#7 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Paintball is definetly dying. Maybe not in your area, but as a whole it is. Im my area more then a couple of fields have closed in the last 5yrs and 1 store that I know of.

People dont have the money, or that huge amount of people who built up the sport are moving onto other hobbies.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#8 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Depends on your location. I fully expect paintball to be 100% gone for me within the next 5 years.

Some places it flourishes, some places it dies

#9 PrimeTimePred

PrimeTimePred

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

...And as it may be dying in some areas, in others its coming back stronger (or at least staying alive full-and-well)

#10 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I think its being more replaced rather than dying. The paintball as some may used to know it is dying, and its being more overhauled. Take for example in my town. Disruptive is growing, adding on 12-20 acres of fields and such, as well as developing new products and spreading out more than the local community. Desert fox, a family owned field that hasnt changed at all, save for selling A5's and using them as rentals in 2003, is dying. No one goes there, and staff are leaving, and im pretty sure its just going to close down, or, in my hopes, getting bought out by Disruptive.

Edited by Orange Chicken, 22 April 2013 - 01:13 AM.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#11 dosh

dosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

The hard thing about paintball is the sport is similar in age as a lot if the people that play it. As we mature as players and go through transitions in our live the game will change as well.

QFT

#12 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Well I think the direct link to the Economy is responsible for it.

Not trying to be an economist but area's where job growth is plentiful is where paintball is growing. Area's where it is collapsing so is the sport.... We had 4 fields close in Utah between 2007-2009 I stopped playing for that time period because I thought it was just about wrapped up field wise for Utah. ... Now that the economy in Utah is Starting to recover their are more players then I have ever seen. Older ones and Newer ones.

#13 Ezekiel06

Ezekiel06

YEAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

IMO, I don't think paintball is dying, at least not in my area. During my 5 years of playing I've only seen one field and shop close down. However, fields like OXCC (Outdoor Extreme Chesapeake City) are expanding and making the game of paintball more enjoyable for all! Their scenario games are usually top notch. They just recently obtained TWO Chinook helicopters to add to there field! (https://sphotos-b.xx...128095714_n.jpg)

Robinhood Paintball has always been a great field to play at. They have a great staff and the field is well maintained!

I've also seen a new local shop open up. Paintball Pandemic. Excellent service and packed with many products.

So like many sports, I guess it depends on your area. I wouldn't necessarily say it's dying because paintball is pretty stable in my area. The fields that I play at always have a good crown of people there.

Edited by Ezekiel06, 21 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

Christian Ballers Club.

"Don't let your past stop you from enjoying your future." True words of wisdom.

Feedback +10/-0

#14 marceldacs

marceldacs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

where i live i feel like its growing. there are a lot of new fields that have come up and are THRIVING in the past couple of years. There is 1 field 5 minutes away, 2 fields 25 minutes away. and like 4 that are 45 minutes away. He is how the field 5 minutes away is growing paintball. It is called westmont yard (its a really big athletic complex), and is in the middle of the west suburbs of chicago. This athletic complex has 3 giant turf fields that are used by soccer, baseball, lacrosse, paintball in the form of reball, and a bunch of other sports. It is always really busy packed with kids and there parents and all these soccer, baseball, etc players will see one field being used for reball and they'll be like "whoah whats that" and then host their birthday party there and invite 50 of their friends who now know how fun it is. I have seen one field close down but the reason was that it was located in a rural area and the owners just relocated it to the suburbs where there are more ballers.

Edited by marceldacs, 21 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#15 Cheeks

Cheeks

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

I live near waynes world in Ocala fl. I often feel like paintball is dying there. Then all of a sudden Christmas time comes. Along with the grand finally he holds vevery year. Then business is booming. It's always the same for me.

#16 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Wouldn't the Luxe cost less in the 90s? Inflation and such?

More like $900

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#17 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

^lol oh no..

A Pro/Carbine Brand new cost around $300. I think Autocockers were around the $400 range, and if you got the E-blade it was closer to $600-$900 range variable on what you got with it or just the regular superstock.

#18 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Okay. See, I wasn't very old in the 90s...

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#19 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

You can basically look at the old Angel and fully customized Autotocker prices to judge what high-end prices were like back then. These guns were considered the pinnacle of technology of the time. They were in the $1200-1500 range. Rarely would anything approach $2k. The market simply does not bear higher prices for production guns.

Edited by drg, 22 April 2013 - 08:00 AM.

Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#20 Fssto

Fssto

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

My town has only one field. But in the past year I have been playing it has grown so much. Last year It had its first ever 24hr and this year it's having three along with its countless 8hrs. There hasn't been any days recently where only a couple people came. It's always nice sized days. Just put in a native American village and two two story buildings.
On a side note we had the backup quarterback for the ravens come to our field a little while ago.
The swamp paintball park in Gloucester,VA.
You wouldn't think paintball would survive here but it does very well

#21 Manch Vegas Baller

Manch Vegas Baller

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

I feel it's on an upswing. It is a very expensive sport so the recession gave it a huge hit. In my area it isn't too popular (new hampshire) because of the weather factor. A lot of people shy away from it. The past few weeks I've played there has been anywhere from 10-20 people brand new that just show up for walk on games, it's great!

Current set up
Gun:LE PDD Axe
Loader:V3 Rotor
Tank:Ninja 45/45
Axe FS/T: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222591

#22 Billy Badass-RPF

Billy Badass-RPF

Doctor wrote me a prescription, for more cowbell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

I think in 2008 or right around win mike was getting sick of playing was right when most of the sport hit bottom. Since then overall I think it has been being repopulated, hell I brought a couple dozen people into it, you guys more then likely have to. I think paintball will get bigger as long as get rid of the disillusions like frozen paintballs, and respect each other from guns to skill.
If I didn't buy so many guns for the sole purpose of fondling them i'd be a very rich man.
Am I the only one that when they see FEP QUEST they read it as FAP-QUEST then chuckle silently?
BST TIPX
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217819

#23 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

like someone said earlier, it's all about keeping it different, new and interesting. We will ALWAYS have a small following. Not many people like the idea of being pelted with anything let alone bright colored goo. I don't see it ever fully fading away though.

Edited by junits15, 22 April 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users