• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Parent Paintball was sent this amazing video on Friday to share.
(Yes, I know of the spelling mistake but the editor does not let you fix the title, strange, but oh well)

We all know that paintball helps all of us with the challenges we face in life. To see it used for our veterans, to help them overcome the challenges they face in coming home is utterly amazing.

After watching this video, I strongly recommend going to Juan's channel. Link is at the end. He has one other video posted that is also amazing.

Edited by gmore70, 22 April 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

not trying to diminish the the sport at all, but couldn't paintball cause a veteran more Trauma since our Adrenalin levels at the peak are near the same? I just don't want to see something that could re-traumatize them

#3 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

not trying to diminish the the sport at all, but couldn't paintball cause a veteran more Trauma since our Adrenalin levels at the peak are near the same? I just don't want to see something that could re-traumatize them

did you watch the video right until the end? It includes an interview with a VA Therapist who has a Masters Degree in Therapy and she talks about Immersion Therapy and how it works?

Edited by gmore70, 22 April 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#4 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

It doesn't seem to work. I don't care what the therapy person says. It's a bad idea. I had a few guys come out to the field I work at that had seen some extensive combat (according to his friends). Long story short, the guy had a severe mental breakdown on the field.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#5 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

It doesn't seem to work. I don't care what the therapy person says. It's a bad idea. I had a few guys come out to the field I work at that had seen some extensive combat (according to his friends). Long story short, the guy had a severe mental breakdown on the field.

Interesting discussion on this forum regarding this video. After vetting this video with 2 other professional trauma counselors before posting, it is interesting to hear about first hand experiences.

What I do know from those whom I vetted this with, you cant just show up on a field with PTSD and expect it to be a silver bullet and heal all your ills. Not only is that just silly...it dangerous.

It has to be part of immersion therapy plan - meaning you work your way up to it and you have follow up afterwards.

Therapy is like a medical treatment, while one operation or therapy works for some people, there is never one way to cure all people.

Do you know if the the guys who showed up at your field, just showed up. Or did they have an immersion therapy plan backed up with a professional counselor?

Edited by gmore70, 22 April 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#6 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

They just showed up as part of a bachelor party.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#7 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Holy @#!@#$%#...the poor guys....oh man...

#8 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well watching it a few times, I can tell their body language isn't as bad as some vets I have help treat that still have the Shakes and stutter from time to time.

I do agree with the therapist... letting them relive their experience can help dramatically effecting the exact point of the Trauma they faced.. But my only worry where to be a Vet with extreme PTSD(Shakes stutters and still suffering from delusions) could be severely traumatized if the experience they had was real bad.. I guess this would be a sort of therapy that could work amazingly if the person(s) emotional state was in a light-mild case.

#9 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Holy @#!@#$%#...the poor guys....oh man...

Yeah. Nobody working at the field had any knowledge of their mental state until after it happened.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#10 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Well watching it a few times, I can tell their body language isn't as bad as some vets I have help treat that still have the Shakes and stutter from time to time.

I do agree with the therapist... letting them relive their experience can help dramatically effecting the exact point of the Trauma they faced.. But my only worry where to be a Vet with extreme PTSD(Shakes stutters and still suffering from delusions) could be severely traumatized if the experience they had was real bad.. I guess this would be a sort of therapy that could work amazingly if the person(s) emotional state was in a light-mild case.

Awesome...an educated professional therapist adding to the thread...brilliant stuff.

This is part of a series I have been trying to put together with some psychologists. While I didnt make this video, I was so glad it was sent to me as it fits into the project nicely.

As a therapist yourself, do you know of any other studies or therapies involving Paintball for any other purposes other than PTSD. I know of anecdotal positive outcomes for ADD, ADHD, Clinical Depression and Addiction, but I cant find - nor can the 2 psychologists helping me - find any find work done with Paintball as a form of therapy. We really could do with some help. If you do, or want to help, please pm me!

To be clear, I am NOT! therapist in anyway, just working on this project for the last 6 months with help for the "pros"

#11 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm not entirely "Highly educated" I am a Nurses Assistant where we are caring for a few Vets that have PTSD(From Vietnam) and they are in real bad shape, some days they walk around like nothing ever happened, next day they can still hear the mortars dropping and they loose focus and relive watching events that I don't want to even imagine a human brain to witness first hand, and they can't move, like a the brain just cuts off the nerves and just focuses on the events.

I get to work worth some Hardcore PTSD Day in and day out, and I myself have been diagnosed with ADHD since the Age of 12(I don't use it as a crutch but it's hard for me to sit still sometimes when I'm triggered) and Paintball has been a sort of Therapy for me since it let's me focus on one task at a time(If I have nothing to do I get agitated and very crude) Whenever I'm having a "moment" while I'm home I just take my gear out and do maintenance on everything from taking my whole gun down to the last screw, realign them in perfect order and get a magnifying glass out and tooth brush scrubbing every little valve and screw imaginable, to taking apart a hopper and seeing how to improve the design in my head, and most of the time Just listening and watching paintball can relive some tension I"m having.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users