• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LiQuidBioniX

LiQuidBioniX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

I've been a part of the game of paintball for a good part of my life. I still remember buying my first Spyder when I was really young. I'm in college now, which means I'm broke. But my dilemma is that I LOVE paintball and I WON'T quit playing just because of money issues. I've had opportunities to shoot lots of electro markers, but I've never given pump playing a thought, that is until now. Me being poor and all, pump playing seems to be a great alternative to shooting tons of paint with a crazy expensive marker! Plus, it will give me an opportunity to shake up my game a little bit and experience another side of paintball.

So my question, Techpb, is this: do you pumpers have any beginner tips for me? Also, I currently have pants, a two-hundo round hopper that works well, and a pair of Sly Profits. The two other investments I need to make are in a good compressed air tank (because I also plan on shooting electros again at some point, also H2 is WAY better), and a marker. What size tank should I get? I'd assume a 48/4000 would be fine. I'm also, like I said, looking for a marker, and I'm only looking to spend about a hundred-odd dollars. What's the best pump-action marker for that price?

Thanks everyone!

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

48/4000?

I recommend a 68/4500

Get a used cocker with an auto trigger on it, maybe an Empire Sniper as well.

#3 LiQuidBioniX

LiQuidBioniX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

48/4000?

I recommend a 68/4500

Get a used cocker with an auto trigger on it, maybe an Empire Sniper as well.

Aren't the Snipers a ton of money?

#4 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

money crunch?

Look into a Trilogy autococker and find one either with or without the pump kit.

second. Buy a Used 45/4500. Those tanks are a god send for pump players, small, light and can hold much more air than a 13/3000

#5 LiQuidBioniX

LiQuidBioniX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

money crunch?

Look into a Trilogy autococker and find one either with or without the pump kit.

second. Buy a Used 45/4500. Those tanks are a god send for pump players, small, light and can hold much more air than a 13/3000

Money crunch, combined with the fact that I've wanted to try pump out for a while and now seems like a great time to do it!

And thanks! What makes the Trilogy's good? I saw a couple selling on ansgear and other sites for around 85 bucks, without the pump kits.

Are the pump kits tough to install?

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Pump kits are not hard to install.

Buy used

There is no suck thing as 48/4000 because I have never heard of a 48/4500.

#7 LiQuidBioniX

LiQuidBioniX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

There is no suck thing as 48/4000 because I have never heard of a 48/4500.

Whoops! That would be a typo...

#8 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Trilly pump kit

They are cheap. You shouldn't spend over $100 on a trilly pump. They are amazing pumps for the price point, but do not go hog wild on them.

Best part about Trilly pumps is, whatever barrels you buy them or small cosmetics will transfer into a CCM(6, 6.5, T2 etc) when you get the cash for one.

#9 Snowking63

Snowking63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I got my pump for $100 and it was a steal! It's a 2k2 wgp direct feed body that's been midblocked. I haven't seen ANY other marker with the same milling and it's very sexy . It has a ccm asa and reg and a nice wgp slide trigger. Not the best pump kit but hey it works right? I even drilled a screw with a long washer on the bottom to make my own hitman mod. And of course, no AT because imo, AT is for ()'s. But do what you like because that's all that matters. Anyways, I got my pump from this guy that builds custom pumps. And he even gave me a nice pl 2 pc barrel & a nice vforce mask with the purchase so if you'd like, I can hit him up for you for a great deal.

After you have your pump, I would suggest getting a Winchester pocket hopper and a couple of minipods. You would be amazed how much you spend to play a day, I would use about a bag a day IF I was shooting a lot! Besides that, I fill my 3k tank about once. The thing about paint when it comes to pump play is you don't need much, but you need the best. Accuracy is key and of course, always be sneaky. You should check out the pump tips forum there is a great amount of usefull info there. Lmk if you want a custom pump for a good price!

#10 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

^AT is necessary for when your playing against nothing but electro, It's been a live saver more that once. I actually don't use the AT much on the break Like I thought I was going to.

#11 1shot

1shot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

^AT is necessary for when your playing against nothing but electro, It's been a live saver more that once. I actually don't use the AT much on the break Like I thought I was going to.

I disagree, it can help but is not needed. I've become a stock class only player for the last 4 years or so. Most people who aren't renting are using electros. It just adds to the challenge and there for the fun. Play pump for the fun and challenge. If your worried about being competitive with electros stick with an electro. Not that you can't give them a run for their $ and even beat them. When you play pump you put yourself at a disadvantage, embrace it, love it, get shot, have fun. Every elimination you earn with a pump is a very sweet success. The guys with the electros my feel embarrassed to loose to you. The gun isn't everything. A cool head is worth more than the fastest shooting space gun.

#12 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I have never heard of a 48/4500.

It's a pretty common size.
http://www.ansgear.c...etank484500.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...ankg2tri-48.htm
http://www.ansgear.c...stank484500.htm

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#13 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

Posted Image

#14 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

I disagree, it can help but is not needed. I've become a stock class only player for the last 4 years or so. Most people who aren't renting are using electros. It just adds to the challenge and there for the fun. Play pump for the fun and challenge. If your worried about being competitive with electros stick with an electro. Not that you can't give them a run for their $ and even beat them. When you play pump you put yourself at a disadvantage, embrace it, love it, get shot, have fun. Every elimination you earn with a pump is a very sweet success. The guys with the electros my feel embarrassed to loose to you. The gun isn't everything. A cool head is worth more than the fastest shooting space gun.

I'm not going to argue over apples to oranges with a fellow pumper. :)

I really don't use AT that much, just when I move and off the break, most off my eliminations are off consistent shooting cross field(Taking a Aztec down the field and shooting a Dorrito player on the other side) But I admit that when doing gun fighting 1v1 I never use the AT and 1 balling is soooo much easier.

#15 Snowking63

Snowking63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

I think it's time someone makes an AT debate thread

#16 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

^No thanks, I wouldn't be in that Debate... we all use our pumps in our own ways. :wub:

#17 1shot

1shot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm not saying AT is bad. Even playing SC with my Phantoms I occasionally use it. I think any one who is honest will admit it has its place. But personally I would never use AT as must have criteria for a gun. It's nice but not nesasary.

#18 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

what is your budget?

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#19 1shot

1shot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

For $100 any used Sniper (Autococker Pump) or Sheriden style gunis a safe bet. In Nelson style (Phantom, Tracer, Hammer) you may be able to find a used Phantom. Tracers (old and new) are great for cheap pumps and it would be less difficult to find one in your price range. Unless you are mechanicly inclined, I would recommend staying away from the Hammer 7 as a first pump. It's not as well made as the older Hammer A. The Kingman Hammer A is solid and would make a decent choice. Personally I prefer Sheridens for open class and equally enjoy both Nelsons and Sheridens in stock class.

#20 thomas mendoza

thomas mendoza

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Deffinately get a autococker I have a 2k5 superstock and I use a 3000 psi tank and I only refill once or twice a day

#21 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

Welcome to pump, you are in for a very good time. Since I started plying pump, I rerely use my AXE. What really surprised me is my 16 year old son, since he started pumping, he has only used his electro once. Do not be surprised if you find yourself becoming a dedicated pumper.

An Autococker is the way to go, on the cheap. For about $100 you can get something decent. You will need to get a new hopper, 200 is way too big, spend 10 bucks on a Sportshot (also avalible with the Empire name) and a 50 round APP for another $5. For a tank, get a 13/3000 Ninja for $60 or if saving 10 bucks is important, get a Pure Energy for $50. Do nothing to upgrade this marker, you will want something better as you become committed to the pump.

Buy good paint, since every shot counts, you want every shot to count. Instead of my son and I going through 3 boxes, we now go through 2 bags.

Then save your money and get $300 - $400 together and buy a used or new Empire Sniper, that will need no upgrades and will hold you over until you get a CCM.

Again, welcome to pump.

Good luck!

My Markers:

Polished Silver CCM T2, Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Black Bob Long MVP, Dust Back Sanchez Machine SM-1, Polished Silver CCI Phantom, Dust Black Empire AXE. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users