• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jcmurdoch

jcmurdoch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I've heard a lot about thermal lenses in paintball masks and how they are better, but in all honesty I have no idea how they work, and why that makes them better.
If anybody knows, I would very much appreciate it

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,106 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thermal lenses are actually two separate lenses layered on top of each other, with a space of air in between them. This space of air acts as an insulator between them, so one single lens isn't experiencing a drastic temperature differential, like a single pane lens might between the outside and the hot air next to your face.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#3 imnothim

imnothim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Ideally, and i don't know if this is true with paintball masks, the gap between lenses should either contain a vacuum or an inert gas (argon is used in windows for example.)

#4 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Magic!
109.gif

#5 SAHeatpb

SAHeatpb

Yeah let's go with this

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Because in the beginning Morgan Freeman narrated that there will be a lense that shall not fog up easily and then the thermal lens was born. Never question Morgan Freeman's work; he might be right behind you.

#6 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thermal lenses are actually two separate lenses layered on top of each other, with a space of air in between them. This space of air acts as an insulator between them, so one single lens isn't experiencing a drastic temperature differential, like a single pane lens might between the outside and the hot air next to your face.

It also helps that the inner lens is much thinner and made from a less dense plastic than the main lens, so it warms up to the temperature of your sweat and breath faster, inhibiting condensation.

#7 jcmurdoch

jcmurdoch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Also, would somebody mind explaining why this makes them better than the antifog coatings that many entry level masks have

#8 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

It's simply more effective and lasts longer.

In terms of their ability to inhibit fogging, dual-paned thermal lenses never "wear out." (They eventually need to be replaced for other reasons)

Coated or treated lenses, on the other hand, work by having some kind of film or coating on the inside that is hydrophobic or that fills in all the pores in the outer layer of the plastic.
Over time, these treatments can either evaporate or be rubbed off from regular use.
If you're familiar with scuba masks, this is why a new layer of anti-fog treatment is applied every time you dive. It simply wears off.

#9 SAHeatpb

SAHeatpb

Yeah let's go with this

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I think my theory wins and any other is just blasphemy.

#10 BraiNfreeZe

BraiNfreeZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Because in the beginning Morgan Freeman narrated that there will be a lense that shall not fog up easily and then the thermal lens was born. Never question Morgan Freeman's work; he might be right behind you.

You my good man are a God!

"Always put a condom on your stiffi incase you shoot in the safety zone."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users